Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

5 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

It's not really that perplexing. Fans of a team with a perennially slightly above average QB tend to grow more and more divided as time goes on. Some blame the slightly above average QB for the team's corresponding performance, and some blame the supporting cast.

Don't you remember the Jason Campbell wars?

Good explanation ....  but why are they following Alex here? Its freaking weird. Im pretty sure none of us signed up and started posting on JC's second team (bears?).

Now I understand what the orig guy "here2help" was saying. At first, what he was saying was so weird.

As long as discussions focus on his current play for the few days after a game, I dont mind this trying-to-be-funnny-but-failing fan following thing. 

I have been on a lot of forums over a lot of years. Some, I have stayed on for decades and counting. 

If foreigners come to "my" forum to discuss "my" team and the players on it.. and they are.. for whatever the reason.. wanting good things for "my" team and players? 

I shrug and say, "cool.. welcome." I usually enjoy the opinions and contributed team support of them. 

Their particular or even peculiar reasons are their own. I don't know them personally, so it doesn't really matter a bit why they do what they do. Pull for the wins, and if they want to throw their e-hand up in high-five? I'll e-slap it when good things happen. 

Is there anything more to say about this? or can we go from discussing posters to discussing actual topics intended? 

6 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

He has thrown for 4000 yards once in his career and never more than 26 touchdowns. However, he is very nice! :)

You are a special poster, and very nice to boot.  You should stick around for the long haul, as we have seen the Andy Reid show for much longer than you.  Earth is a **** when it smacks you in the face, or Mahomes is the amazing combination of Montana (you remember, right?), Farve, Manning, Young, Brady, insert name here.  Time will tell. Hail

3 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

You are a special poster, and very nice to boot.  You should stick around for the long haul, as we have seen the Andy Reid show for much longer than you.  Earth is a **** when it smacks you in the face, or Mahomes is the amazing combination of Montana (you remember, right?), Farve, Manning, Young, Brady, insert name here.  Time will tell. Hail

Okay!

On 10/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, Mahomes4Ever said:

Alex Smith seems like a very nice guy.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:35 PM, Mahomes4Ever said:

Thank you!

On 10/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, Mahomes4Ever said:

That's not very nice. He tries his best!

23 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

Not trolling! I just think he's nice!

22 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

The only thing going on in my life is a desire to share my feelings about my team's former quarterback. He is nice! I like him.

21 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

That's kind of you!

20 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

He has thrown for 4000 yards once in his career and never more than 26 touchdowns. However, he is very nice! :)

10 hours ago, Mahomes4Ever said:

Okay!

8 hours ago, New World Portis said:

You are very nice!

3. Spam is strictly prohibited.
The following are some examples of what ES considers spam:

• Very short posts that do not add value to the topic.
    Example: posts with only the words, "I dunno," or "lol cool," or "in before close" or a quote of a post with only "smileys" added, or simply the word "this" and an upward arrow or "x2" added. If that is the only contribution you have to make to the discussion, this is not the place for you.

I suggest all our new arrivals read, comprehend, and follow the forum rules to maintain posting privileges. 

It seems weird to me that a Chiefs fan thinks they need to "warn us" about Alex Smith, as if we don't have his entire career to look at as a resume.  It's not like we signed away a 26 year old Prodigy QB.   We a signed gritty veteran QB as a 3-5 season stop-gap in order to not go completely backwards while the front office searches for the next franchise QB.

No one is under any delusion about what Smith can/can't do.  He is in the same league with the former QB, but for different reasons than the former QB.   

For the most part it was a .500 team making a neutral move that likely keeps them around the same record in 2018, until the overall roster improves.

I pretty well agree with you, @NoCalMike.

Guys, trust me on this. I am watching the KC fans snickering and gearing up to push the fecal matter your way. Sorry, really am, but have no illusions about what is coming.

Alex Smith.. for whatever bizarre reason that makes others uncomfortable or confused.. has forever infested some people into obsessing over  (or in my case, keeping respectful tabs on) his football career, his personal life, or anyone that remotely respects these things.

There's really just two options left here.. goes for mods or other posters. 1) allow it to go on for sheer amusement, or 2) nip it while it's in the infancy stage.. to avoid contagion of forum disease.

just to add: they are now posting the warnings received from here.. on their forum.. so they can giggle about their latest "conquests." 

Yes.. they really are.. that childish.  

@Sandy Monk

this is a moderator directive

you have repeatedly offered "input" to forum posters and moderators on newly arriving fans/haters of alex.  ES posters can give you their own feedback on your need to explain things i'd say don't require explaining since life is the same on most football boards that have been around for awhile.

but do stop offering 'input' or 'advising' the mods in your posts.  you violate rule 18 when you do that, so once again to newer folks (and it serves one best to do this before making another post if you haven't), carefully read, comprehend, and follow the rules. we'll take care of the board.

thanks.  :)

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

but do stop offering 'input' or 'advising' the mods in your posts.

Okay, that was.. unexpected and conflicting with forum harmony. 

No more outside offering of advice desired from you on foreign matters that I might actually know more than you about...

That sounds reasonable, yes? Not an Alex fan then, are you?

Ooookay then. Enjoy. So sorry to have given you the heads-up. 

45 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

yadayada

way too predictable 

first:

you violate rule 18 when you do that, so once again to newer folks (and it serves one best to do this before making another post if you haven't), carefully read, comprehend, and follow the rules. we'll take care of the board.

of course you didn't do the above, and replied in the thread

so, again from rule 18

Members should use the Feedback Forum for any general comments you may have regarding board management on any matter. Do not engage in "hijacking" a thread by commenting on such matters in off-topic fashion within a thread.

so you violate that rule, again, via your reply---when you do have a response to a mod action, you can use pm if it involves you, or the feedback forum--do not converse about the mod action in the thread (unless asked by the mod).

now let's take each line of your reply since you made it :)

1. you just got here and the verdict on you re: forum harmony is open if leaning to negative from the reviews to date, meantime i've been a member here 14 years with a tad more involvement than the average bear. when you need to know something about forum harmony i'll tell it to you. :P

2. i've read your posts---certainly nothing special or impressive stands out and much has been just white noise---and that's all good other than what i've notified you on, and being a friend of logical and rational thinking, i do believe there must be something you know more about than me, not that it's relevant, but you haven't brought anything of great value to the table to date. hope springs eternal.

3. my views on alex have been stated all the way back to his beginning he started with SF. so you're clueless on that too, though it doesn't stop you from speculating in an erroneous direction.

4. don't worry about my enjoyment, and you're not getting any penalty for your (lame) reply to my mod instruction, but speaking of heads up, you have two now.  enjoy. it's a great board to talk football. :)

On 10/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I must say this Alex Smith FanBoy/Hater thing we have come to experience is perplexing.  I can’t quite figure out why one would love or hate Alex Smith.

Same here.  We've had Qbs come and go.  No way I could have predicted this.  I am shocked that the emotion is so intense both ways for arguably the most laid back QB personality wise in the NFL.

For the really intense ones here who dig Alex, you might be pleased to know I've watched all of the Alex Reports now on Youtube.  It's a very amusing show.  And i am even trying Alex's don't eat for 6 hours diet which he talked about in one of them to increase your daily energy.  ? 

I'd say the most amusing one was episode 4. 

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We fleeced Andy Reid finally. Although KC probably doesnt care because Mahomes looks great, Kendall Fuller looks really bad without Torian Gray.

So for one of the comments above, there is one of these:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2018/01/31/alex-smith-washington-redskins-trade-kansas-city-chiefs/1081813001/

Of course the truth is in the middle. It will likely to turn out to be a decent deal for both. But it's way too early to make any proclamations. If anything, the advantage is still with KC since they have a 3rd pick. It's only game 3 for Fuller in a new D. He is a good smart guy. He will get better. 

And Alex has been well, Alex - very good at times and well uninspiring at others. Saying either team "fleeced" the other I believe is an exaggeration. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Same here.  We've had Qbs come and go.  No way I could have predicted this.  I am shocked that the emotion is so intense both ways for arguably the most laid back QB personality wise in the NFL.

For the really intense ones here who dig Alex, you might be pleased to know I've watched all of the Alex Reports now on Youtube.  It's a very amusing show.  And i am even trying Alex's don't eat for 6 hours diet which he talked about in one of them to increase your daily energy.  ? 

I'd say the most amusing one was episode 4. 

I really enjoy those shows. It at least feels like you are getting the real Alex. Nothing pretentious about him. This is no slight to Kirk as I liked him, but thanks to the whole contract thing, I felt he was always very careful of what he said. This led to some stiff conversations and some guarded answers. Alex seems to be more comfortable - and with good reason. The team is tied to him for at least 3 yrs where Kirk was yr to yr. Just seems very relaxed. 

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It seems weird to me that a Chiefs fan thinks they need to "warn us" about Alex Smith, as if we don't have his entire career to look at as a resume.

Right, like we were all doing this when we found out we traded for Alex.

tenor.gif

50 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I really enjoy those shows. It at least feels like you are getting the real Alex. Nothing pretentious about him. This is no slight to Kirk as I liked him, but thanks to the whole contract thing, I felt he was always very careful of what he said. This led to some stiff conversations and some guarded answers. Alex seems to be more comfortable - and with good reason. The team is tied to him for at least 3 yrs where Kirk was yr to yr. Just seems very relaxed. 

I think Kirk and Alex oddly as I've said before have somethings in common.  Among other things they have loud critics who love to slam their ability to come through in the clutch.  They are both boring as heck in press conferences, stiff and political in their answers.  If you watch them though outside of that setting they can be different people and more entertaining.  Even watching Kirk in training camp and the QB camp he ran -- he was a different dude. 

For me Alex is interesting to watch in sort of a self centered way -- his mannerisms, sense of humor, even hobbies (read an article about him on that which I posted months back on the thread) are closer to my personality than any Qb we've had.  Probably hard to believe for anyone whose read my posts in the Bruce-Kirk threads.  ?

So yeah I am genuine when I say as I've said for months that I like the dude and is a good guy.  The fact that I didn't like the trade (nothing to do with Alex but instead its about his age and match to the roster) and that I like but don't love Alex the player -- isn't some passive-aggressive slam as some suggest here.  It's exactly how feel.   He's really impossible to dislike.   Super nice guy.   I bet his teammates indeed love the guy. 

As for Kirk, he had one foot out the door last season.  And clearly his teammates sensed that.  So tough for them I bet or for Kirk to feel that connected when the relationship was clearly temporary -- and unlike some others on this point I put that squarely on the FO.  Alex is here for at least three seasons judging by his contract-guaranteed money.   So I gather it will naturally feel much more stable then it did last year with Kirk's situation.

As for the KC fans invading this thread.  We get it Mahomes is better than Alex.  Certainly looks that way.  But who is arguing otherwise?  So don't get the point. 

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We fleeced Andy Reid finally. Although KC probably doesnt care because Mahomes looks great, Kendall Fuller looks really bad without Torian Gray.

Take it for what it’s worth but the Profootballfocus grades currently has Fuller as the highest rated CB on the Chiefs. By comparison we have two corners rating higher with one Josh Norman rated a point lower. 

I agree with you. The Chiefs probably don’t care. Also agree with you that this seems like a great deal for us. Sure they got a comer and a third round pick, the corner is cheap cost wise for them the next two years and the third helps them next year but so far this hasn’t been the expectation - 30th ranked DVOA against the pass which is what they have today

However on the other hand with Alex we have wins with him as our QB and stability at the position for the next few years, and the Defense also has the third best DVOA against the pass today. Playing against Sam Bradford (meh) but also Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers (elite). 

For the time being regardless of if the Chiefs “needed” Alex the Redskins did and with the play of the defense they had an expendable piece with Fuller and with the comp pick coming back for Kirk next year an expendable draft pick. To get a starting QB for two expendable pieces that it’s a clear win for the Redskins. So far

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Article was written in January. I think based on what we have seen so far if it was written today the tone would change greatly

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Right, like we were all doing this when we found out we traded for Alex.

tenor.gif

No but I was. I don’t think that Smith is some elite world beater. I think Alex can make every throw needed, he’s accurate, he can rush and not have me worried he’s gonna get injured, he takes care of the football and he’s a winner. All things I thought about him in December coming to fruition now. 

But then again I’m crazy so ya your right definitely wasn’t every one dancing with that trade lol

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, bobandweave said:

Edit

Article was written in January. I think based on what we have seen so far if it was written today the tone would change greatly

You missed the point completely. The point that either extreme position is just that extreme and not realistic. The tone was extreme just as you saying it would change greatly is extreme based your original position that you really looked the trade. Since you liked the trade from the beginning so even the smallest of success leads you to "see, it was a great trade" to vindicate that position. Your position is I am sure that he has brought a new leadership and solid play without the mistakes of Cousins. The person who wrote it - Mike Jones would likely still write the same thing - citing only 2 halves of good play the rest uninspired, including a complete egg against the Colts - citing the extreme position not mine.

It's been 3 games. In terms of comparison to Kirk, Alex's numbers and W/Ls are almost identical to Kirk's after 3 games last year. The positive position will be that the team has the same production for a lot less money. The negative position will be you have to spend a 3rd rd pick, the best slot CB in the league to get 4 yrs older and still get the same results.

So jump to any conclusions or change your position "greatly" in such a short time will only be done in the direction of the bias you already had. There have only been 3 games. Not enough to make an extreme evaluation like we "fleeced" Andy Rd ei- which was what I was responding to.

Archived