Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 ES GMs Mock Draft is complete!

Epochalypse

I would like to let you all know that I read all does insane long rule posts. 

My verdict: I don't freaking care. XD Change what you wanna change and call me when 2019 draft rolls around the corner. I expect @Gibbs Hog Heaven to represent the EU time zone people. So that I don't have to set my alarm for 3:30 in the morning to make a NFL mock draft pick. 

If it were up to me:

I'd just follow the skeleton of the real draft.  Pick a weekend at random, tell everyone the first round will be Thursday night at 7pm. 

Send a group email reminder to all the GMS who signed up 3 weeks out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out, day before, day of.

Make every GM submit a "top 25" list to the commissioner before the draft starts.  If they don't provide an initial list they can't participate and will be replaced.  If they don't feel like making their own, they can copy one of the hundreds of big boards available on the internet as reference for their picks (walterfootball, NFL.cm, sbnation, bleacherreport,  etc) 

A GM can choose to submit an updated "top 25" list the next night before round 2 starts.  If they don't submit a list by the start of that day's draft, their old one gets used.  Give like 10 minutes for each GM to pick.  If no pick is made then Commish takes from the short list provided.  If no one is left from their shortlist, they get skipped.   

2nd and 3rd rounds are on Friday/Saturday night, same deal.

4th, 5th, and 6th rounds occur the same way over the NEXT weekend (gives all GM's a week to update their board, and submit a new short list to the Commish).

7th Round would be longer timeframe (as long as it finished before real draft, maybe 6 hours=4 picks a day) and would give everyone a chance to dig in and find a gem, one player who they started paying attention to later on as the real draft got closer, etc.

This way, prospective GMS will know exactly the timeframe they would need to be available before agreeing to participate.   

It would also be easier for the commissioner to just be able to send out one group email with a reminder to be on ES at 7pm sharp to participate in the draft, rather than sending PMs for every pick 

At the end of the day, its easier to get 32 people together over a 3/4 day period than it is over a month long period.  If anyone can't commit, at least they'll know before agreeing to sign up.  A month offers too much time for GMs to have something come up, or lose interest after they didnt get a player they wanted, or make other plans, etc.

Next year, have the Redskins dedicate a room at Redskins Park and bring the 32 ES GMs to make it a real full draft with NFL rules.

That would rock :)

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Just for the record I'm okay with anything as long as our resident GM's keep posting pictures of redheaded hookers and cheerleaders with big breasts :)

I can help here as well :)

@Monk4thaHALL is a good help too!

7 hours ago, skinfan57 said:

Just a few thoughts:

The primary frustration we are trying to avoid is skips. It seems to me that this is going to happen regardless.

The four hour dead clock could be quite complicated to track. I would have to have a different 4 hour window each day because my schedule varies too much. If I understand correctly, one could say that their clock is dead from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm. So, if they are on the clock at 8:00 am, their time wouldn't be up until 8:00 pm. How is this different than just giving 12 hours per pick? As I said, I may not understand the concept properly.

For me, I am not trying to avoid skips.  Skips are going to happen.  I am trying to limit the suffering of a skip.  Only losing 4 hours of draft time because someone wasn't available when they should have been is less frustrating than losing 8 hours.

And in the scenario you listed, if they came on the clock at 8:00, their pick would be due at 12:00, as the 4 hours would be up.  However if it came up at 8:01, then it would be due at 4:01pm (3:59 before the clock freeze, 1 minute after).

Using your example dead time:

if they went on the clock anywhere between 4pm and 8am, they'd have exactly 4 hours to pick from when they went on the clock

If they went on the clock from 8:01am to 12pm, they'd have 8 hours to pick

If they went on the clock between 12pm and 4pm, they'd have until 8pm to pick.

So that's 16 hours of the day you'd have a 4 hour window, 4 hours a day you'd you'd have an 8 hour window, and 4 hours a day that you'd pick 4 hours from the end of your dead-clock time (averaging a 6 hour window within that span; varies from 8 down to 4).

Compare that to the current system where 24 hours of the day you have an 8 hour window.  Hypothetically, assuming uniform distribution (big assumption, but just bear with me), you'd bring the window down from an average of 8 hours per pick to 5 hours per pick while still getting the larger 8 hour window for the time of the day (per GM) that it is most needed.

As for keeping track, it shouldn't be too difficult.  Just list the times next to the GM's name in the OP.  We've got folks always checking who's up and on-deck, just add in a check for the dead clock time when looking up who's next to figure out how long the window will be.

As someone who has been a part of this since the start (including juggling two teams to help fill), and also has experienced the realities of missing pick form both sides, I’ll give my 2 cents. 

I 100% agree with 8 hours for every round. 

If someone misses their 8 hour window, they’re skipped. I agreee with the notion that they are able to come back in immediately following the person on the clock once they make their presence known. The exception to this would be if they show up within ~15 minutes of their time. I also agree, they should provide a short list of at least three picks to someone present (perhaps even the person who is currently on the clock).

If someone is skipped, and their turn comes up again, they should simply be instantly skipped. I think this may already happen, but if not This fixes any issues of someone who’s missing for a long time causing more than one picks worth of “lag” time. 

Personally, I see ZERO reason to go through the trouble of soliciting replacements. I see no harm at all with simply skipping those picks. If that player doesn’t show back up, so be it; no true harm has been done to the draft. If they return, then they’re properly penalized already by having a smaller swath of players to pick from for their missed picks. I’ve yet to see a compelling reason why it’s so imperative to replace a GM if the multiple skip lag is handled by auto-skipping all their future picks until they show back up. 

As far as using/trading in the 8 hours go, if you don’t want people to take the full 8 hours then it should be less. I have significant disagreement with forcing individual participants preferred methods of operating as mandated operations. If someone wants to take their draft time to find a trade partner, so be it. I’m not personally a fan of waiting more than an hour or so after making it known I may be interested in a trade, but I’ve never had an issue or felt negative towards those who use all of their time. If we don’t want them to take the time, then we shouldn’t be giving that much. If we are giving that much, we should treat a pick going the full 8 hours as the norm and consider anything other than that a happy bonus. 

Definitely not opposed to the set draft times as opposed to a time span, though have to look at the numbers more to see if I feel it’d actually be better. My views regarding skips with that method remains the same. 

14 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I would like to let you all know that I read all does insane long rule posts. 

My verdict: I don't freaking care. XD Change what you wanna change and call me when 2019 draft rolls around the corner. I expect @Gibbs Hog Heaven to represent the EU time zone people. So that I don't have to set my alarm for 3:30 in the morning to make a NFL mock draft pick. 

/agree I'm adding my input as an international GM. I think regardless of the rules there will be some problems, somewhere during our mock. The only way to 'resolve' this is to shorten said problems. There were times I had to wait an exorbitant amount of time on deck and check in somewhat regularly but if you're committed which most of us are you'd spend that time wisely, reviewing tape, making sure the next guy is THE GUY you want.

My vote would be for an 8 hour window for every pick 1 through 256. One skip and you can come back in AFTER the on deck guy, but not before. Two skips and you're replaced. Either by a new substitute GM (thanks to those who filled in this year) or by some sort of committee of the longer standing members using BPA (the

**** knows how that would work). I'd happily vote for a new commish if someone wanted to enter the race but I think @Epochalypse did a brilliant job in my rookie campaign and it sounds like previous mocks have also been successful. So my vote would be for him and it would be hard for me to change my mind.

@PokerPacker thanks for the clarification. 

12 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Next year, have the Redskins dedicate a room at Redskins Park and bring the 32 ES GMs to make it a real full draft with NFL rules.

That, my friend, would be a blast.

4 hours ago, Cypress said:

I think @Epochalypse did a brilliant job in my rookie campaign and it sounds like previous mocks have also been successful. So my vote would be for him and it would be hard for me to change my mind.

I agree wholeheartedly.

16 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Make every GM submit a "top 25" list to the commissioner before the draft starts.

I'd vote for this. 

8 hours ago, ZRagone said:

Personally, I see ZERO reason to go through the trouble of soliciting replacements. I see no harm at all with simply skipping those picks. If that player doesn’t show back up, so be it; no true harm has been done to the draft. If they return, then they’re properly penalized already by having a smaller swath of players to pick from for their missed picks. I’ve yet to see a compelling reason why it’s so imperative to replace a GM if the multiple skip lag is handled by auto-skipping all their future picks until they show back up.

Yes, it leaves more guys for others to choose from and only penalizes the skipped GM. If the draft ends with missing picks, some may feel that we didn't really finish. I don't think I would care, but for those who would, we could fill the voids with guys no one wants.

Whatever we decide upon for next year, count me in. 

I posted in the thread during the draft that a short list should be mandatory next year. Every time you make a pick you should submit a short list to the commish. The only possible negative to that is IF the commish has the same guys on his list. But than it is on you if you miss your time slot. And I agree with the guys from the other side of the pond. It isnt fair to them to mess with the time slots. 

I have participated in every one of these. And quite simply this one was not fun for me. That is sad. Fun is what this should really be about in the end.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:06 AM, wilco_holland said:

I expect @Gibbs Hog Heaven to represent the EU time zone people. So that I don't have to set my alarm for 3:30 in the morning to make a NFL mock draft pick. 

Well, that's kind of a fallacious charge isn't it? 

I mean, twice in this year's draft you sent in a shortlist for others to execute for you, in your absence. And your absence was because you went to bed.

Those picks were your 2nd round pick, #61 overall and your 7th round pick, #247 overall.

The picks came due at a time, for you, in which you couldn't be online. So you made the proper arrangements for your selections to be made by someone else. 

Nonetheless, this current model that you seem to like to defend and counter-argue for, put you on the clock at "inconvenient" times, one might say. 

One of those times was at 1:53 AM, your time in Holland, for your 7th round pick #247, which GHH made for you on your behalf. 

Notwithstanding, it's the same model that put your friend GHH on the clock at something like 4 AM Liverpool time, for his 1st pick, #9 overall. But that was by choice, following a trade up. 

So, if you're going to call out one model for putting Euros on the clock at ungodly early morning hours, then you'd actually be doing your arguments credit by identifying the current model. Just saying, for sake of transparency and fairness. 

You did take a passing jab at the mention of a fixed slot model, twice, from recollection. Once, by making a post similar to what you wrote above, something something about possibly being put on the clock early in the AM, with that model. And another time, while glad handing the current model as multiple selections came in quick succession. 

But here you use a spurious claim that you'd have to set an alarm to wake up for some inconvenient draft slot, when in fact, based upon your actions this draft, you'd likely just submit a shortlist before going to bed, as you've done with this model. 

In fact, I went back, took time out of my day just to analyze your picks, to see the times when you came on the clock in this year's draft.

These were your picks and the times that they came on the clock in the current model ("around-the-clock"):

Jacksonville:

1:(1:29) on clock: 3/30/2018 - 11:45 AM EST(+6 hours Holland - 5:45 PM)     || made pick: 3/30/2018     - 11:55 AM EST (+6 hours Holland  - 5:55 PM)

2:(2:61) on clock: 4/3/2018 - 5:12 PM EST    (+6 hours Holland - 11:12 PM)   || made: 4/3/2018 Shortlist - 5:34 PM EST (+ 6 hours Holland  - 11:34 PM)

3:(3:93) on clock: 4/6/2018 - 4:03 PM EST    (+6 hours Holland - 10:03 PM)   || made pick: 4/6/2018       - 6:50 PM EST (+6 hours - 4/7/2018 - 12:50 AM)

4:(4:129) on clock: 4/9/2018 - 3:06 PM EST   (+6 hours Holland - 9:06 PM)     || made pick: 4/9/2018       - 3:26 PM EST (+6 hours Holland    - 9:26 PM)

5:(6:203) on clock: 4/15/2018 - 4:39 PM EST (+6 hours Holland - 10:39 PM)   || made pick: 4/15/2018     - 5:08 PM EST (+6 hours Holland  - 11:08 PM)

6:(7:230) on clock: 4/17/2018 - 2:16 PM EST (+6 hours Holland - 8:16 PM)     || made pick: 4/17/2018     - 3:36 PM EST (+ 6 hours Holland   - 9:36 PM)

7:(7:247) on clock: 4/18/2018 - 7:53 PM EST (+6 hours - 4/19/2018 - 1:53 AM) || made: 4/18/2018 Shortlist - 8:09 PM EST(+6 hours - 4/19/2018 - 2:09 AM)

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The selection you made in the 3rd round, at #93 overall, when you came on the clock at 10:03 PM (your time), was in fact a Friday night, April 6th and you made your selection at 12:50 AM, your time, Saturday morning.

You even commented upon it being late and did not elaborate upon the drafted player in your post. But you made the selection yourself, nonetheless, presumably because it was the weekend. During the weekdays you submitted a shortlist whenever your pick went past 11 PM, your time. As I pointed out, that happened twice. 

Most of all of your picks were at night time throughout the course of the draft. 

I took additional time and compared your time slots for this draft in the current model to what a fixed model draft would have looked like, similarly, for all your picks. I can provide those findings if you'd like?

@Monk4thaHALL that's a lot of research. I'm open to other draft set-ups, but you do understand that sending in a short list is less fun?

So if there would be a draft set-up where I would get on the lock more regular at odd times, then it would make the game less fun. The thrill of watching if your guy makes it to the pick is fun i.m.o. Sending in a shortlist is not much fun, it's okay but doesn't give me the same experience. 

So that's the main point I will be looking for if we change the format/draft set-up. That I still can make most of my picks myself. 

I must say that your breakdown shows that I was pretty fortunate this year. Most where after work hours and before sleep hours. So if you say a fixed one would give the same result then it would be great. 

What I do like about fixed time slots is that you don't have to check all the time. I know when I will be on the clock. 

Just for reference and/or curiosity, I plugged your selections into a fixed model for comparison sake. I know in my previous post I asked if you were interested in those findings, but since I've already done the work myself and taken more of my time to do it, I'm going to post it anyway. 

Your time slots for your picks would have looked like this in the fixed format:

Jacksonville:

1:(1:29)   on clock: 3/29/2018   - 4:00 PM EST      (+6 hours Holland - 10:00 PM)

2:(2:61)   on clock: 4/2/2018     - 4:00 PM EST      (+6 hours Holland - 10:00 PM)

3:(3:93)   on clock: 4/6/2018     - 4:00 PM EST      (+6 hours Holland - 10:00 PM)

4:(4:129)  on clock: 4/11/2018  - 8:00 AM EST       (+6 hours Holland - 2:00 PM)

5:(6:203)  on clock: 4/20/2018 - 12:00 NOON EST  (+6 hours Holland - 6:00 PM)

6:(7:230)  on clock: 4/23/2018 - 6:00 PM EST        (+6 hours Holland - 12:00 Midnight)

7:(7:247)  on clock: 4/25/2018 - 8:00 PM EST         (+6 hours Holland - 2:00 AM)

.................................................................................................................................................

So, your 1st round pick, #29 overall, would have occurred on "Day 4," March 29th, at the 4 PM EST timeslot, which correlates to 10 PM Holland time.

Which is actually before your bedtime Wilco. Since you go to bed at, around, 11:12 PM your time, which was the time you got put on the clock for pick #61, during a weekday.

The 10 PM slot would have been very reminiscent of your 3rd round pick, #93, and your 6th round pick, #203. Both of which you executed yourself, in this year's model. 

Further, to note: This is what your draft would have looked like before we ever made a pick. With the fixed model, you would have known exactly when you were going to be on the clock before the fact. Like, uh, a meetings schedule. 

That's open for interpretation whether that's good or not. It's also open to personal, individual, preference whether that's a good thing or not, too. 

The time you spent checking the thread, waiting and watching the pace could have been spent elsewhere, if you so wanted.

No commentary from me either way whether that's good or not. 

Like ... smoking weed in the redlight district, for example.

No commentary from me either way whether that's good or not. 

However, if you find enjoyment hanging around the thread, as I do, bantering with folks, then you could still do so, have your fun, but of course you would never be wondering when you would be coming on the clock. You would already know exactly when that was going to happen, before the fact. And if any of your selections were during times you were at work, or asleep, or buying weed, you could make the appropriate accommodations, as you did this year, twice, by handing in a shortlist. 

The first time you did it, it was to the Commish for pick #61, and then later to GHH for your 7th rounder, #247.

Clearly, based upon analysis of your draft this year, via the current model, it's safe to say that you would have needed to submit a shortlist for your selections of #230 and #247, if plugged into the fixed model, in accordance with your sleep schedule. 

However, your first five selections all should have coincided with times that you could have made the pick yourself. 

You still could have watched in anticipation whether "your guy" made it to your pick safely or not. The suspense would have still been there.

Unfortunately your pick of #203 would have occurred on 4/20, at 6 PM your time, so you would have already been high, having smoked weed at 4:20 PM there in Holland. 

Interestingly, your last pick of the draft in the 7th round, #247, would have come on the clock at virtually the same time of day as it did during this year’s "round-the-clock" format.

So there are a number of similarities between the two, if you look at it. 

......................................................................................................................................................

Oh sorry, for general reference, this is the template for the fixed model that I'vs been using, in case you're confused at how I derived those time slots and days. 

Of course, any final product would undoubtedly need some tinkering. 

Day 1:  3/26/2018

#1 - #8

Day 2:  3/27/2018

#9 - #16

Day 3:  3/28/2018

#17 - #24

Day 4:  3/29/2018

#25 - #32

etc ...

...........................................................................................................................................................

1st Round prospectus:

1:   8 AM EST   (1 PM Liverpool ||  2 PM Holland) - 3/26/2018

2: 10 AM EST   (3 PM Liverpool ||  4 PM Holland) - 3/26/2018 

3: 12 PM EST   (5 PM Liverpool ||  6 PM Holland) - 3/26/2018

4:   2 PM EST   (7 PM Liverpool ||  8 PM Holland) - 3/26/2018

5:   4 PM EST   (9 PM Liverpool || 10 PM Holland) - 3/26/2018

6:   6 PM EST (11 PM Liverpool || 12 AM Holland) - 3/26/2018

7:   8 PM EST   (1 AM Liverpool ||  2 AM Holland) - 3/26/2018

8: 10 PM EST   (3 AM Liverpool ||  4 AM Holland) - 3/26/2018

-- BREAK -- (Break between 12:00 AM Midnight EST to 8:00 AM EST)

Mandatory break from 12:00 AM Midnight, EST, to the start time of 8:00 AM, EST, everyday. 

Ostensibly, that does mean that the final GM of the day, in the 8th time slot (10 PM EST), whoever that is as it rotates, essentially has 9:59 hours to submit a pick prior to the start of the next day at 8 AM.

So, the Euros, if given the last time slot of any day, would have boucoup time to make a pick. It could also benefit any early to bed east coasters as well.

@Monk4thaHALL I was editing my post when you replied. So the order looks a but weird now.

But I see we agree at the positive points of a fixed draft. 

If you set a time beforehand the on the clock time can be very short. Everybody knows when they are on the clock. If you can't make a pick then, you need to send a short list. You cut the hole random part of the draft where people get supriced (o wait I'm in the clock? When I left there where 12 picks before me! I need to do this and that...after that make my pick)

16 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I'm open to other draft set-ups, but you do understand that sending in a short list is less fun?

So if there would be a draft set-up where I would get on the lock more regular at odd times, then it would make the game less fun. The thrill of watching if your guy makes it to the pick is fun i.m.o. Sending in a shortlist is not much fun, it's okay but doesn't give me the same experience. 

So that's the main point I will be looking for if we change the format/draft set-up. That I still can make most of my picks myself. 

Well, you understand that the draft is "aligned" based upon the NFL team's record, right? 

I mean, if you want to select earlier in the day for you, then you'd actually want the Jacksonville Jaguars to have a worse record. Then you'd be selecting earlier in the draft and earlier in the day. 

The other thing is, that it's really your choice, in the fixed model, if you wanted to stay at your draft pick number because you'd know exactly when, at what time and what day your pick was coming due on the clock. So, trading could conceivably be influenced by moving to a more favorable time slot. 

The whole point of the "around the clock" draft model is that you have no idea when you'll get on the clock for your 7th round pick, #247, when the draft started on March 26th. But in the fixed model, you already would have know. So, conceivably, you could have traded out of that slot for a time in which you would have been present to make the pick. 

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that ... it's a little different and there are more options. 

I like the 24 hour round the clock draft. I Think 8 hours for all picks is fair. I think that submitting a shortlist should not be required. I am talking about the 25 pick shortlist etc. or a shortlist before each pick. The short list should be used if you are a couple picks away and you know you are going to be away or not make it back in time for your pick.

The answer for the question about why not have who ever is online pick for the person. Imagine the scenario of the person drafting in front of you misses their pick. You then make the pick for that person making sure not to pick the player you want for your own pick.

I think the GM skipped should still be able to make their pick when ever they show up. That is also how it has happened in the real draft before. when the time for a team ran out you saw a race where a couple teams made their picks before the skipped team was able to get their own pick in.

19 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

why do we bother with a skip?  Why not whoever is operating the thread at that time select for the  person who is skipped?

Because if the skipped person still plans to participate, it allows the person with actual research and more in depth knowledge of that teams needs, and who is ultimately being tied to the draft overall, to actually be the one to make the pick. 

Where as I'm not sure I see a benefit for someone else picking a random player for that person's team. 

You could say it's less "realistic" for a skip to happen, but having a GM picking for a team they have little to know information about is also rather unrealistic as well. 

I just don't really see what the value is in having other people make a person's picks for then 

59 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Because if the skipped person still plans to participate, it allows the person with actual research and more in depth knowledge of that teams needs, and who is ultimately being tied to the draft overall, to actually be the one to make the pick. 

Where as I'm not sure I see a benefit for someone else picking a random player for that person's team. 

You could say it's less "realistic" for a skip to happen, but having a GM picking for a team they have little to know information about is also rather unrealistic as well. 

I just don't really see what the value is in having other people make a person's picks for then 

You act like these GMs know in-depth about these other teams.  Everyone can use google to find out the needs of a team.  Some of you guys are making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be.  How about addressing the fact that some owners make trades just to make trades?

Time to see where our guys go.

So far...

1. SAQUON BARKLEY went 2 (-1)

4. JOSH ALLEN went 7 (-3)

33. JAIRE ALEXANDER (+15)

35. CONNOR WILLIAMS

64. JESSIE BATES III

114. JEROME BAKER

132. TARVARUS MOORE

165. PJ HALL

and other picks

180. DAURICE FOUNTAIN

187. KALEN BALLAGE

202. MICHAEL DICKSON

255. MICHAEL JOSEPH

7 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

You act like these GMs know in-depth about these other teams.  Everyone can use google to find out the needs of a team.  Some of you guys are making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be.  How about addressing the fact that some owners make trades just to make trades?

In our mock? Who does that? So far as I can tell, even if I don't agree with a particular player over another, virtually everyone is straight up picking to improve their respective teams with at least logical position needs. And moving around in the draft is part of that. 

Hail. 

Archived