Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 ES GMs Mock Draft is complete!

Epochalypse

I am just getting back to reality from my Super Bowl celebration in Boston. Mr. Kraft thanked me for all my work in the draft last year and taking the underdog Patriots to the top of the football world. 

Last year's first pick was selected on March 26. As long as we don't start before March 18th I am in. I will be in Florida for Spring Training until then and wouldn't be able to give my full attention to this.

• 1 month later...

I am up for it but I think we need a new commissioner - or two. I could be a co-commissioner and I think @Skinsinparadise would help - assuming Epocolypse doe not return.

For me, there are two issues that caused friction last year. Following are my suggestions.

1. Trading future picks. Last yr we said no trade of future picks. I would propose an amendment to that - Trades of future draft picks only in the first rd. This is honestly when the most fireworks happen in th NFL draft anyway. So people could still make that day 1 splash without taking advantage of not having to worry about next yr like real club GM have to.

2. Timing - People taking advantage of the time. My proposal is:

1st rd - 8hrs - 2nd and 3rd rd 6 hrs - 4 hrs for the rest of the draft.

If you miss your picks you have 10 spots to get back in before you forfeit your pick. Additionally you are on a 2 hr clock the rest of the way. A second miss and you are removed as GM.

If I am to participate again the time rules need to be like above or very close. Those that care have no problem making the timing work. There was a lot of garbage going on last yr with it taking forever to get picks in. We may not even get enough GMs because of it.

I am interested in others thoughts though.

When i first started the idea back almost 10 years ago, the same issues are coming up like i experienced the first time.  Some people go crazy and trade just to trade.  And then they are others who don't do anything.  How do we solve that?

I think there needs to be a reward/consquence system in place which i still have not figured out yet.  What should that be?  

There definitely needs to be some kind of rule to limit people maxing out the time for their pick waiting on trade offers.  Trades can make it fun and more realistic but it also encourages people to sit on their selection when they know who they want to take just because they want to wait and see if an offer comes in. 

I like the times allowed for picks that @goskins10 suggested and so maybe a rule that requires trades to be completed during the first half of your time on the clock could speed things up, so 4 hours in round one, 3 in rounds 2 and 3 and then 2 hours after that?  I don't want to take trades away but looking back through the thread it's clear that people were running down the clock for this reason a lot.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

2. Timing - People taking advantage of the time. My proposal is:

1st rd - 8hrs - 2nd and 3rd rd 6 hrs - 4 hrs for the rest of the draft.

If you miss your picks you have 10 spots to get back in before you forfeit your pick. Additionally you are on a 2 hr clock the rest of the way. A second miss and you are removed as GM.

Large timing was originally done due to time span between some posters around here.

Some have always been willing to wait a bit to see if they can get a trade prior to the pick. That is fine. But if too many are doing this, then it becomes a problem as we witnessed it last year.

I think a good thing would be to still have large time to allow for time span. But once you get on line and you're on the clock you only have 1 or 2 hours max to make your picks. No matter what the clock says. So if you're online when your turn comes in, you just have two hours. If you come after 4 hours of being online, you still have 2 hours to make it work. And if you come after 7 hours on being on the clock, you only have 1 hour to make your pick.

Seems like a good idea to me and may speed up things. Especially when lots are online. But that's just my own idea.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Large timing was originally done due to time span between some posters around here.

Some have always been willing to wait a bit to see if they can get a trade prior to the pick. That is fine. But if too many are doing this, then it becomes a problem as we witnessed it last year.

I think a good thing would be to still have large time to allow for time span. But once you get on line and you're on the clock you only have 1 or 2 hours max to make your picks. No matter what the clock says. So if you're online when your turn comes in, you just have two hours. If you come after 4 hours of being online, you still have 2 hours to make it work. And if you come after 7 hours on being on the clock, you only have 1 hour to make your pick.

Seems like a good idea to me and may speed up things. Especially when lots are online. But that's just my own idea.

In theory that sounds Ok but the problem is that means someone has to be on here 24 hrs monitoring when people are on line - unless there is a way you know that we are not aware of. Or we would need people to take shifts. The other problem is people could just stay away until the last second if there is someone they want to trade with. 

My goal was to keep it simple. This complicates things a bit. I am not completely opposed. But we would need to work out the logistics. 

I am in again. The reason for the time gaps are as stated the Different Time Zones plus sleeping etc. Let's say for Instance someone signs off 7 spots from Picking. Then all of a sudden those GMs all come online at same time and make their picks. If there was a 4 hour deadline the person is sleeping and misses his pick. People would say why not give someone a list of picks. That works if a couple picks out but not work as well so many picks out because who do you leave list with. It would be obvious quickly if someone was constantly missing their picks.

After cutting the time slots bu 2 hours per round two years back, I don’t know how much further you can go?

Always thought it was just about right given the World wide participation/ time zones to be fair to everyone.

And its invarably finished in good time every version.

You’re never gonna’ please everyone but extra consideration and thought should be given to the non-American based GM’s when it comes to any discussion on lowering the time slots.

Hail.

I would like to once again propose that each GM picks a time-span in which their clock does not run, which should allow them to sleep or go to work or whatever is needed.  Outside of their stopped-clock time, they'd have a relatively short clock.  Maybe 4 hours of active clock time?

47 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

After cutting the time slots bu 2 hours per round two years back, I don’t know how much further you can go?

Always thought it was just about right given the World wide participation/ time zones to be fair to everyone.

And its invarably finished in good time every version.

You’re never gonna’ please everyone but extra consideration and thought should be given to the non-American based GM’s when it comes to any discussion on lowering the time slots.

Hail.

I think we are giving thought to non-American GMs thought as that's the only reason it's not 2 or 4 hrs right from the start. Not to mention no one has suggested any total shorter time than 2 hrs so not sure what the point is there. 

I get that we get finished in time but that's not really the point. It's the abuse of the time for reasons not related to being on the other side of the pond that make some of the waiting excruciating. In the 3 yrs I have been involved most of the misses have been lack of paying attention (losing interest) or holding out to the very last second in hopes of a trade that is never happening - the later being the most infuriating for me and I believe others to be honest. 

I am open to what others agree but something has to be done about the very long waits for no other reason than people not paying attention or abusing the time to hold out for a trade. 

To that end I liked what @WelshSkinsFan suggested about limiting the trade time down to say half. Honestly, there is no reason that if you are looking to trade, if you can't have it mostly pre-arranged and announce in the first hour. Otherwise you are wasting everyone's time. Just about all the trades I have made I have had pre-arranged. You can set up the "if my player is available can we trade?" Work it out before it's your time. No need to make everyone wait 6, 8 or even 12 hrs just because you want to hold out. The extra time of for people not in the same time zone so they don;t get skipped, not for people to hold out for a trade. It's just not fair to everyone else no matter where you iive. Again, that's just my opinion but I think the majority feel the same way. 

There also has to be more strict rules about people missing. Miss once you go to two hours miss twice you are out. The other thing we wait for, especially in later rounds is people losing interest so longer time periods are painful. I am OK with longer times as long as we have stricter miss rules. Also, if you miss you get the next 10 picks to get back in. After that you forfeit the pick.  

Again those are just my thoughts. 

The point is any proposal to cut the time slots down to percieved abuse is hitting the ones they’re in place for In the first place.

Bounce anyone that misses. Don’t invite back anyone that was a repeated abuser in the past. Making it clear to any new member they’ll be a harsh cracking down on the rules. 

But it gets messy and unfair to the World time zone guys if the rounds are reduced any more than they already have been save for maybe the first.

You go any lower than the current 8 hour slots through round 3- 7 and that puts unneeded pressure on those in those zones.

Hail. 

I think the timing thing was about right as it was last year  . I think you also have to consider different people have different RL things going on as well as different time zones .... 

That can be kind of frustrating but it is only supposed to be for fun  

If folk seriously want to do this again this year you’d better shift into gear as the ‘real’ NFL Draft starts Th, April 25. A mere 37 days from now. 

We have always started at 12 PM EST a month before the actual draft. (With the draft otder at that time final save for any trades between ousrselves.). With all rosters locked down at midnight the previous day.

Keeping to that tradiition would leave a start date of the end of next week. Mid-day Friday the 29th. With Rosters locked midnight Thursday the 28th. A mere NINE/ TEN days from now.

I would offer my services as Commissioner again after the success of 2 years ago but I’m sadly way too bogged down to give it the time and dedication needed this year. 

Happy to roll with anyone who wants to fill in. The basic premise of the rules are all in the OP but there’s time to make some agreed amendments if people like.

But if we’re doing this, the ball needs to get rolling. And fast!

Hail.

Ok, unless anyone else wants to take this on, I will take a shot at running this thing. Also, @Skinsinparadise has agreed to be co-commissioner. I would ask that other GMs continue to help as much as possible. Everyone typically does a great job of pitching in. Asking for that to continue. Things like sending PMs and otherwise pinging others to let them know they are on deck or up are extremely helpful.

I will start a new thread if we get agreement to the rules by most by this time tomorrow. I do not want to waste everyone's time if we do not. The proposed rules with changes are below.  I tried to take everyone’s comments into consideration. The proposed changes are in red. After reading the rules with changes you still are interested, please let us all know in this thread.

As far as teams, we will start with who had their team’s last yr getting priority except of course the Redskins. This works well since I had them last yr. So I will take the team left over after the Redskins GM is selected. Once we get 32 GMs, we will have a lottery to determine who gets the Redskins. Only those who have not previously had the Redskins are eligible. 

Draft Start Dates/Roster Lockdown. 

- The proposed start date this year is Friday, March 29th, 12 PM EST. That will give us exactly 1 month before the 'real' draft commences on April 25-27.

- We shall be 'locking down' all rosters by midnight the day prior, March 28th. Any trades the real life teams make after that point are meaningless for our purposes. 

Time Duration. 

- Our general rule of thumb has been for each GM to have a 12 hour time slot once he's on the clock. And if he fails to get his pick in within that allowed time, he skips his pick and we move down the draft order with him being able to jump back in at any time he returns. The allotted time then is halved for the rest of the draft. With the added penalty of two skips of being removed as GM unless due to extenuating real life circumstances. This is up to the two commissioners discretion.  cutting his future time allowance in half.  

- For Round 1, the 12 hour rule stays in place. 

- For Round 2, this decreases by 2 hours to 10 hours. 

- Rounds 3 through 7 will decrease by a further two hours to give you 8 hours on the clock. 

- The two skip/ time halved rule will still apply. BUT, If you don't show and end up missing an entire round, you run the likely risk of having your team taken away from you as it's unfair and not much fun on everyone else to be kept waiting. To participate, you need to be FULLY committed and there's a lot of personal sacrifice involved.

General Rules. 

*NEW NEW RULE* No trading future picks.  Each GM is allowed to trade away future picks one time during the draft.  This should allow some flexibility but also prevent abuse of trading future picks with no repercussions. 

- Once we commence, the draft order at that moment in actual time will be the draft order we work with.  And as previously mentioned, the roster we work with will be from when the roster lockdown occurs.

- You can freely trade picks, including future picks (caveat-ed as above), so long as you find a willing trade partner. Remember, compensatory picks are now in play and can be traded!  But any ridiculously lopsided trades are subject to the Commissioner(s)/community vetoing. (Mercifully this has yet to be needed.) 

- If you happen to end up running two teams (hopefully this won't be the case), in the obvious interest of collusion NO trading with yourself! 

- Strictly NO trading of players for picks.  History suggests this causes more angst than politics. 

- Transaction discussions can be made through PMs at your own discretion to simulate back door handshakes or in thread. Just be sure that once such deals are made I am made aware.  These discussions can begin as soon as teams are assigned but WILL NOT PROCESS UNTIL ROSTER LOCKDOWN OCCURS, since up to that point your real life team may lose the picks you planned to trade. 

- When you decide and post your picks, you are free to elaborate as much or as little about your decisions as you would like. People will lambast you as they see fit regardless.  GHH has typically used this as a platform to convince the other owners of why he drafted a guy expected to be a 6th rounder in the 2nd.  Feel free to do the same. 

- If, for whatever reason, you feel you'll have a long delay when it's your pick because you won't be around, but you know you're within a couple of picks of being on the clock, then please, if you have a shortlist in preferential order of players you want, feel free to send it via PM to myself, @Skinsinparadise or someone you trust to make the pick in your absence if we are not around.  Helps keep things moving. 

- We will try to PM you to let when you're 'On the Clock.' If we am not available, it would be appreciated as always for anyone available or the person who just picked to notify the next GM up.

- No talking in this thread about players that haven't been drafted. Not a new rule but want to emphasis this. Next to people being skipped, this is the most abused rule - not out of malice. People get caught up in them moment and do it accidentally. But please, out of respect for others let's try to follow this rule better. 

- No badgering GMs currently on the clock to make their pick. They have a time limit for a reason. As frustrated in waiting as you may be, repeated violations of this will result in sanctions against your own time duration. NO exceptions. This has been a repeated issue that has bothered a few participants in recent years and will no longer be tolerated. We're here to have fun guys. Respect the rules and each other from when you commit and we'll achieve that aim once more. 

- All that said, feel free as always to rib each other to the fullest and mock or applaud draft picks when made at your leisure (Especially GHH! Most bang for the buck.. 🙂. Just remember to keep within the rules of the board and be reasonably respectful to one another.  DO NOT GET BANNED.  Yes this has happened in the past.  Just don't.

Archived