Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 ES GMs Mock Draft is complete!

Epochalypse

Nice pick with Welsh. Honestly, if he was still on the board by the end of this draft, he was the guy I was a guy I was going to essentially "replace" one of my draft picks with. I have him at #140 on my board, so getting him at 254 is great value

In all seriousness though; would there be any complaints if I replaced two of the draft picks made for the Chiefs with players that ended up going undrafted? I get if that's too much hassle, and I know I missed the time so I get if it's a no go...but it would help solidify the full draft card as one I'd feel comfortable with as being a hybrid.

Undrafted rookie Free Agent List: (Texans)

Priority FA
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Tejan Koroma        --    OC          --   BYU

DJ Calhoun          --    ILB         --   Arizona State

Duvonta Lampkin     --    DT          --   Oklahoma

Tre Williams        --    ILB         --   Auburn

Cole Madison        --    OG          --   Washington State 

Korey Cunningham    --    OT          --   Cincinatti

Cam Serigne         --    TE          --   Wake Forest

Stephen Roberts     --    SAF         --   Auburn

Rico Gafford        --    CB          --   Wyoming

Khalid Hill         --    FB/TE       --   Michigan
Camp FA

Ray Ray McCloud     --    PR/DB/WR    --   Clemson

Cody O’Connell      --    OG          --   Washington State

Austin Davis        --    OC          --   Duke

Secdrick Cooper     --    SS          --   Louisiana Tech

Marcus Martin       --    FB          --   Slippery Rock  

Niles Scott         --    DT          --   Frostburg State

Shaun Wilson        --    RB          --   Duke 

Jester Weah         --    WR          --   Pittsburgh

Nick DeLuca         --    ILB         --   North Dakota State

Gerhard de Beer     --    OT          --   Arizona 

Mike Ramsay         --    DL          --   Duke

Chandon Sullivan    --    CB          --   Georgia State

Cole Boozer         --    OL          --   Temple

Tre Herndon         --    CB          --   Vanderbilt

The Denver Broncos have already signed Lowell Lotulelei, brother of Star to a FA deal.

At the moment of signing we also would like to announce our new locker room wager!!  

Place your bets as to which talented player gives up on this team.  Sua Cravens or Lowell.  

Lowell has serious concerns about overall work ethic and desire to play football.  He's sloppy of technique and like to show up over weight.

Cravens has twice given up on his team and appears happy about a fresh start.  Considered retirement before really playing at all....

Winner gets a ham sandwich.  Unless it's Lowell,  then there is no prize.

4 hours ago, ZRagone said:

Nice pick with Welsh. Honestly, if he was still on the board by the end of this draft, he was the guy I was a guy I was going to essentially "replace" one of my draft picks with. I have him at #140 on my board, so getting him at 254 is great value

In all seriousness though; would there be any complaints if I replaced two of the draft picks made for the Chiefs with players that ended up going undrafted? I get if that's too much hassle, and I know I missed the time so I get if it's a no go...but it would help solidify the full draft card as one I'd feel comfortable with as being a hybrid.

If by replace you mean when it comes to "grading" your guys no problem at all.  I don't plan on swapping the names out on te tracker so folks who do their thing will have to reference maybe a summary post.

And they do need to be undrafted I think.

As far as other guys I'd label PFAs:

Brandon Silvers, QB, Troy

Matt Gono, G, Wesley

Leon Jacobs, LB, Wisconsin

Christian Campbell, CB, Penn St

Joe Ostman, Edge, Central Michigan

Davin Bellamy, Edge, Georgia

Jermaine Carter, OLB, Maryland

Jullian Taylor, DT, Temple

Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas

Damon Webb, S, Ohio St

I can't remember the others as I'm away from materials but those I remember.

So in bizzarro world, where the Chief's were skipped instead of had a replacement GM, they rush to the podium after pick 256...

With the 174th pick in the draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Kert Benkert, Quarterback, Virginia

With the 207th pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select Coleman Shelton, Center, Washington.

And, in a weird sync up, they take still take Tavarus McFadden, Cornerback, Florida State at pick 210. 

--------

So KC's "final" draft, for those that don't mind me backfilling my missed picks with guys that went undrafted, would be:

54. Donte Jackson

78. Rasheem Green

86. DJ Chark

122. DeShon Elliott

160. Marquis Haynes

174. Kurt Benkert

207. Coleman Shelton

210. Tavarus Mcfadden

239. Christian Sam

Well now Hell. That sneaky son of a gun from Houston has rolled with the PFA/ UFA's without notice and taken two of mine, OG Cole Madison from Washington State, and ILB Tre' Williams out of Auburn. Along with the Browns taking another three. OG Matt Gono, from Wesley, OLB Leon Jacobs Wisconsin and CB Tremon Smith from Central Arkansas. 

I'll add 13 guys to the 6 already drafted by the Cowboys and not already taken. 

QB.                 Tanner Lee.                  SNR    Nebraska.

Luis Perez .                 SNR.   Texas A&M- Commerce.

RB.                  Damien Harris.            JNR.    Alabama.

FB/ HB.           Joel Lanning.               SNR.   Iowa State.

RB/ HB/ TE.    Chris Warren III.          JNR.    Texas. 

WR/ HB.          Dylan Campbell.         SNR.    Texas Tech.

WR.                 Javon Wims.               SNR.    Georgia. 

OG.                 Nick Gates                  JNR.     Nebraska.

OC.                 Patrick Morris.             SNR.    TCU. 

ER.                 Jonathan Leadbetter.   JNR.    Georgia. 

DE.                 Jack Sieler.                  JNR.     Ferris State. 

DT.                  Matt Dickerson.           SNR.    UCLA. 

CB.                 Joshua Kalu.               SNR.    Nebraska.

Hail. 

For Kansas City, outside of Cornerback, this draft was about acquiring talented depth for the future at positions that were somewhat bare as opposed to needing to get immediate starters. We definitely feel like we've managed to do that in spades.

Despite not having a pick until half way through round 2, we feel confident we've gotten ourselves a starter on the outside with Donte Jackson. A talented corner, his exceptional speed will be what separates him.

Rasheem Green and DJ Chark are two players taken for similar reasons. Both players with good value propositions that, at worst, should provide solid depth with the potential for future regular contributions.

DeShon Elliot in the 4th is viewed by KC as an absolute steal and someone who could line up in the back line of the defense day one. A 6-1 ballhawk with good instincts, he pairs perfectly with Eric Berry.

At 160, Marquis Haynes was yet another value pick. A skilled edge rusher with experience in the 3-4, he helps provide additional help in replacing the production from Tamba Hali.

With Alex Smith being traded and Mahomes taking over as the projected starter, Kansas City needed to look at a capable and solid backup of the future. Chad Henne works as a steward at the moment, but not long term. Benkert is the kind of steady handed student of the game, ala perhaps the man Alex Smith replaced, that should work wonderfully as a guy to groom as a solid and effective backup to your new franchise QB.

in the 6th, Coleman Shelton provides not only needed center depth, but versatility. Having played literally every position along the line, Coleman is the perfect utility backup lineman.

At 210, Tavarus Mcfadden was just too great of value to pass up. A 3rd round talent picked over 100 spaces lower than where he was on our big board, his raw potential as a big press corner is evident. While he's a raw prospect, with a little time to develop he could pay off big for such a late round pick.

Finally, to round out the draft, Christian Sam is the perfect kind of scrappy, hard nosed, ILB that every team should want to have. He'll provide some depth after the loss of Justin Houston, and fits the mold for the type of ILB that can slide into the starting spot and surprise when needed.

The only position of need that KC failed to get ahold of from their list was a backup all around TE for Jason Kelce, but the potential of Tavarus Mcfadden so deep in the draft was more valuable in the long term.

Overall, we're extremely happy with this draft, especially given our handicap of not having a 1st round selection thanks to the trade for Mahomes last year.

6 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Been selected, by your mate bedlam. 

Then scrap him from the list and add the big ol' Longhorn Chris Warren. Who I can't decide on a position? Traditional one cut back but I see him more as a H-back. Appealing size/ strength. He'll run over ya' if he can stay healthy. 

Hail. 

24 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well now Hell. That sneaky son of a gun from Houston has rolled with the PFA/ UFA's without notice and taken two of mine

So, what we need here is a plan ... Mr. Belvedere. (If I may). 

We need something where you and I have a silent auction for those two overlapping players and we each bid a certain amount of fixed money. 

*Just brainstorming. 

Now, I know Jerry was fast on the draw with La'el Collins, and paid him the highest contract of any UDRFA that year, but I'm unable to remember wheather that was equivalent to a 1st round contract or not.

But for our exercise it's just you and me amigo, no Jerry to ride shotgun.  

*Just theory for now. We would obviously need a plan that would work for everyone. You know, rules, specific parameters, fictional money allowance, how to make the silent bidding completely anonymous and hidden. 

1 minute ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

So, what we need here is a plan ... Mr. Belvedere. (If I may). 

We need something where you and I have a silent auction for those two overlapping players and we each bid a certain amount of fixed money. 

Now, I know Jerry was fast on the draw with La'el Collins, and paid him the highest contract of any UDRFA that year, but I'm unable to remember wheather that was equivalent to a 1st round contract or not.

But for our exercise it's just you and me amigo, no Jerry to ride shotgun.  

How about we just ask the guys in question where would you rather live if you make the team? 

The concrete jungle that is Houston or the varied splendour of the metroplex? 

Commiserations in advance Sir. :P

Hail. 

So just looking at the actual drafted guys, here are the players left from my aggregate top 200.

Davin Bellamy

Justin Jackson

Brandon Facyson

So 3 total. For comparison...

2017 - 24 out of my aggregate top 200 didn't get drafted

2016 - 6 of the top 200 didn't get drafted

2015 - 5 of the top 200 didn't get drafted

So 2017 seemed a bit of an outlier, with this year being much closer to the first two in terms of our draft matching up with my aggregate top 200.

For reference, here were my aggregate sources this year.

CBS

Draft Countdown

Drafttek

NFL Draft Scout

Walterfootball*

DraftGeek*

Matt Millar (Bleacher Report)*

Sports Illustrated

Daniel Jeremiah (NFL.com)* SBNation*

Draftwire*

* - Weighted slightly less due to source or the low volume of players on their big board. Additional quick snapshot metrics inbound.

For those that don't know/remember from previous years, my process is basically a notion of crowd sourcing. I scour the net looking for big boards and plug that information into a spreadsheet, creating an aggregate score across all the various sources to formulate a combined big board. The theory being that numerous different peoples views on a player helps to zero in on their actual value better than trusting any single evaluator or persons reading of them.

4 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

So here it is, with the 256th and final pick overall in the 2018 NFL/Extremeskins Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select as Mr. Irrelevant

Siran Neal, Safety from Jacksonville State

Nice final pick bro. I reckon he's 5th/6th round value. He's got some tools and as you mentioned, he's versatile. 

My 7th rounder was him or Thomas and figured my LB corp was less stocked. 

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Nice final pick. Was looking into him but couldn't find the time and video's to really get a good feel for him. 

Thx @Epochalypse for running this draft. I think you did extreme well. With the missing owners and stuff this could have been a huge mess that would drag on and on. You made your point, you did well. Was nice experience again!

Thx @Gibbs Hog Heaven for doing my final pick and just overload us with info. 

And final thx to all the other owners/members/GM's. I think we did very well. Really liked the last rounds. The inside some of you guys bring it top notch. 

Yup, my sentiments exactly. Will post a review when I'm home from work tonight. 

It's funny, because of your avatar I picture you as Jay's zany twin! 

The portion of the draft where there were the best "value" appeared was the early 5th around and the early 2nd round. The worst "value" came in the late 3rd and late 4th.

Controlling for abnormally low/high scores, the four picks with the "worst" value were:

Darious Williams

Charvarius Ward

Tarvarius Moore

Justin Watson

The four highest value picks were:

Derwin James

Harold Landry

Jerome Baker

Marcus Allen

(big ups to the Patriots, who had two of those).

Looking at just pure value (where they were taken compared to where they were ranked), without any controls, the four biggest "steals" were:

Tarvarus Mcfadden (121 spots lower)

Sean Welsh (114 spots lower)

Josh Adams (97 spots lower)

Kentavius Street (91 spots lower)

Packers managed to grab two of them.

Also, can I just say...who stole GHH and replaced him this year? :D

In 2015, Dallas had one of the lowest rated individual players and was #30 in adjusted value and #32 in Talent average .

I believe he had the Redskins in 2016? And again had one of the lowest rated picks along with being #29 in adj. value.

2017, once more he had a lowest rated player and was #25 in adj. value along with #32 in terms of talent average (albiet largely due to trading away a ton of picks).

This year? None of the lowest rated picks belonged to him, he was in the top 15 for adjusted value, and into the top 20 for talent average. I think someone either stole GHH or at least his big board ;)

Also, as a quick snapshot. Patriots were the top team in terms of adjusted value.

The Giants were #1 in terms of the average value of the talent they acquired.

The raiders were the winner in terms of the total amount of talent they added.

Finally, the Bills, Colts, and Browns were tied with the highest amount of 3rd round or better talent they added (6 each).

26 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Also, can I just say...who stole GHH and replaced him this year? :D

In 2015, Dallas had one of the lowest rated individual players and was #30 in adjusted value and #32 in Talent average .

I believe he had the Redskins in 2016? And again had one of the lowest rated picks along with being #29 in adj. value.

2017, once more he had a lowest rated player and was #25 in adj. value along with #32 in terms of talent average (albiet largely due to trading away a ton of picks).

This year? None of the lowest rated picks belonged to him, he was in the top 15 for adjusted value, and into the top 20 for talent average. I think someone either stole GHH or at least his big board ;)

:806: Joking aside, as it's now about the right timeline to start looking back on our first ES draft, I think I came out of that not too shabbily if I do say so myself: 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Cypress said:

It's funny, because of your avatar I picture you as Jay's zany twin! 

God that's a SCARY thought! :blink:

I fully expect the Redskins GM to be drafting for a new HC/ coaching staff this time next year. 

And unless Zeke covers Garrett's inept ass, the same in Dallas too. HC/ QB jobs on the line down in Texas. The window's getting shorter and the Cowboys HAVE to win now for all concerned. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well now Hell. That sneaky son of a gun from Houston has rolled with the PFA/ UFA's without notice and taken two of mine, OG Cole Madison from Washington State, and ILB Tre' Williams out of Auburn. Along with the Browns taking another, two OG Matt Gono, from Wesley and CB Tremon Smith from Central Arkansas. 

OLB.               Leon Jacobs.            

Hail. 

I also had Jacobs listed.

But to be clear, PFA lists are nothing more than stating other prospects that you are interested in seeing how they'll do.

You don't get "credit" for them and you listing them doesn't prevent some other GM listing them as well.

Definitely agree with GHH, we're now finally at that "3 years out" phase with the 2015 draft. I have to say, overall I'm exceptionally happy.

I ended up drafting 17 players across 2 teams (Kansas City and Detroit). Out of that, twelve (71%) of the players I drafted were still in the league by the end of last year. Of those 12, half of them were starters including one all-pro player in David Johnson.

So 1 all-pro, 5 solid starters, 5 rotational/depth guys, and a practice squad guy. All and all, I'd say that's a pretty good haul.

Taken seperately...

Kansas City had 10 picks. They got 2 starters, 4 depth guys, a practice squad guy, and 3 busts.

The Lions had 7 picks. They got an All-Pro, 3 starters, a depth player, and two busts.

That's on top of capturing a 3rd and 5th the following year for the Chiefs, and basically swapping a 6th for a 4th the following year for the Lions.

My 2016 draft is looking pretty good going into its 3rd year as well. Only one bust, along with two solid starters, a pro bowler, and two depth guys. Will have to see how that holds up after this year. 

Every guy from my 2017 draft is still in the league, with 3 starters. But it's WAY too early to read anything into that draft. 

Archived