Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 ES GMs Mock Draft is complete!

Epochalypse

First and foremost thank you everyone for working together and getting us through this yet another year.  It always seems like halfway through this thing I am regretting taking it on again and vowing never to do it again, then we somehow finish on time and I expect I'll miss it.

As for my draft process and picks, here you go if it interests you.

My overall plan for Cleveland was bi-polar in a sense.  For a team that has only won once in the past two years and that was two seasons ago, I wanted to go for immediate success, because I wanted to keep the process in place and start building up the confidence of some of this good young talent before it resigns itself to just leave.  Which leads to my first pick...

1. SAQUON BARKLEY, RB, Penn St - The big decision came down to this...Barkley or QB.  Based on the trade for Tyrod Taylor, who I think is able to at least manage a season or two and win a few games, I went for the star power and instant gain with Barkley.  This franchise is starving for just a hint of success, and the most immediate way of doing that in my opinion is the best player in the draft at a position that usually transitions into early success.  I get the value aspect of taking a RB high; I do.  But this team and city needs to experience a win.  Getting more than one in a season would be a celebratory event.  And going Barkley shows we were justified in trading for Taylor.  I could see this be the reasoning behind the selection of my 2nd pick...

4. JOSH ALLEN, QB, Wyoming - I was expecting to be able to get Baker Mayfield, and after a slight tradedown, but he went at #3 because the Jets made their stupid tradeup prior to our draft.  Anyway, I think it worked to my advantage.  I like Josh Allen's potential, IF he's given time to develop on the sidelines for a year or two.  The trade for Tyrod Taylor buys that time I think and Barkley buys them some wins to hold off on throwing in the towel on a season and playing Josh too early.  I wasn't absolutely sold on any of the QBs and figured I would get one at #4 no matter what, and I did.

33. JAIRE ALEXANDER, CB, Louisville - The Browns secondary needs serious help, even with the trade for Damarious Randall.  I bring in a CB that in many places is considered the best CB in the draft.  Had he not been injured, it's possible that argument would have been even easier to make.  In any event, a lot of mocks have Jaire in the first round and I believe he belongs there.

35. CONNOR WILLIAMS, OT, Texas - With the retirement of Joe Thomas, we were hoping to come out of this draft with a replacement, not that we expect to replace a All Pro with as weak an OT draft as this is.  Thankfully, we took who I would argue is the most likely top LT prospect in Williams.  Another case of an injury value, I expect Williams floor to be a very good OG but his ceiling is franchise LT.

64. JESSIE BATES III, FS, Wake Forest - Did I mention the Browns need help in the secondary?  Enter one of the best coverage safeties in the draft in Bates, who some mocks have as yet another first rounder.  It's a passing league and we need to defend against that.

114. JEROME BAKER, LB, Ohio St - I've seen some sites listing Browns draft needs and they don't mention LB.  Looking at their current LBs and I can't understand why.  They aren't good.  So I grab one I think will be.

132. TARVARUS MOORE, S, Southern Miss - Yes I know I already drafted a FS this year.  Yes I know most mock drafters never even heard of this guy and that's why ZRagone has him in the low value list.  Don't care, because I think come the real draft and actual success in the NFL, he was worth trading up for.  I actual feel like he'll outperform his draft position when it's all said and done.

165. PJ HALL, DT, Sam Houston St - Another trade up to grab a guy that has the production and has the athletic freakiness to make the jump to the NFL.  Put this guy in with Garrett, Ogbah and Ogunjobi and the ball-hawking secondary I put back there and it won't matter what I do on the offensive side of the ball.  Again, buying my QB protégé time to develop without having to carry the team.

That's my Browns draft.  Now here's the other picks I made for other teams to get us to the finish line.

180. DAURICE FOUNTAIN, WR, Northern Iowa

187. KALEN BALLAGE, RB, Arizona St

202. MICHAEL DICKSON, P, Texas

255. MICHAEL JOSEPH, DB, Dubuque

3 hours ago, ZRagone said:

The four highest value picks were:

Derwin James

Harold Landry

Jerome Baker

Marcus Allen

(big ups to the Patriots, who had two of those).

Looking at just pure value (where they were taken compared to where they were ranked), without any controls, the four biggest "steals" were:

Tarvarus Mcfadden (121 spots lower)

Sean Welsh (114 spots lower)

Josh Adams (97 spots lower)

Kentavius Street (91 spots lower)

Packers managed to grab two of them.

Aren't I the best?

Also, can I just say...who stole GHH and replaced him this year? :D

In 2015, Dallas had one of the lowest rated individual players and was #30 in adjusted value and #32 in Talent average .

I believe he had the Redskins in 2016? And again had one of the lowest rated picks along with being #29 in adj. value.

2017, once more he had a lowest rated player and was #25 in adj. value along with #32 in terms of talent average (albiet largely due to trading away a ton of picks).

This year? None of the lowest rated picks belonged to him, he was in the top 15 for adjusted value, and into the top 20 for talent average. I think someone either stole GHH or at least his big board ;)

That's what happens when you're stuck with only one year's picks.  Gotta make 'em count.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

:806: Joking aside, as it's now about the right timeline to start looking back on our first ES draft, I think I came out of that not too shabbily if I do say so myself: 

Please no.  I don't recall who all I drafted, but I'm pretty sure most of them are struggling.  Off the top of my head, I recall:

Arik Armstead: Finished each of the last two seasons on IR playing in fewer than half the games over that time.

Alex Carter: Career practice-squadder bouncing around the league after injury issues derailed his rookie offseason.

Ben Heeney: Non-football injury put an end to his sophomore season and getting waived.  Bounced over to the Saints practice squad before being waived again and making it to the Texans roster where he played in 5 games before going on IR.

Amarlo Herrera: Started on the practice squad, promoted to active roster briefly, waived back to practice squad.  Spent parts of 2016 on Titans and Redskins practice squads.  Last reports on him were that he was trying out for the WWE.

Tyler Kroft: Had few opportunities behind Eiffert in seasons 1&2, but managed to do a few things after Eiffert went down this season.

I imagine the rest of my draft only gets worse.

5 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

I don't even know if the 2015 thread exists anymore and I cant remember how to change my sig to use that to track.

I remember La'el Collins and Stephone Anthony

So long as people remember their teams, I have every draft in spreadsheet form and can pull them as needed. I'll grab yours tomorrow. 

The 2018 ES Jaguars draft

1    29    Jacksonville Jaguars     RASHAAN EVANS     ILB     Alabama
2    61    Jacksonville Jaguars     FRANK RAGNOW     G/C     Arkansas
3    93    Jacksonville Jaguars     CEDRICK WILSON     WR     Boise St
4    129    Jacksonville Jaguars     TERRELL EDMUNDS     S     Virginia Tech
6    203    Jacksonville Jaguars     JORDAN AKINS     TE     Central Florida
7    230    Jacksonville Jaguars     BILAL NICHOLS     DT     Delaware
7    247    Jacksonville Jaguars     CHASE EDMONDS     RB     Fordham

Overal personal view

I went pretty ''open'' into the process, it's not like Jaguars have huge needs. So I just went BPA. My first two picks are great. I think both players will be long time NFL starters. I like my third round WR but kinda hoped to grab Michael Gallup, but it was really annoing that I didn't have a fith rounder. Trading up for him was to hard. But I like Wilson too, just like Gallup a lot better. I even considerd him with my first pick and again with my second one....but kinda hope he would go under the radar. My 4th round pick is straight out steal i.m.o. I had him rated in a tire end second - early three. My last three picks are just ''swing for the fences''. Small school guys who have the skills but nobody knows how they will do in the NFL. I like to use late rounders for that. 

What I hoped for

Before the draft I made this perfect draft:

1    29    Jacksonville Jaguars     RASHAAN EVANS     ILB     Alabama
2    61    Jacksonville Jaguars     BILLY PRICE     C     Ohio St
3    93    Jacksonville Jaguars     MICHAEL GALLUP WR     Colorado St.
4    129    Jacksonville Jaguars     MJ STEWARD    CB     North Carolina
6    203    Jacksonville Jaguars     JAYLEN SAMUELS     HB     NC State
7    230    Jacksonville Jaguars     ISAAC YIADOM     CB     Boston College
7    247    Jacksonville Jaguars     STEVEN RICHARDSON     DT     Minnesota

I missed out of most of does guys by something like half a round. Next year if my team has more picks I might be a little more agressive to be able to get does targets. 

How my score will be after the real draft

I think my +/- score for Evans will not be very high or low. I think he will be dafted in the 20's.

Frank Ragnow is really hard guy to predict. He is pretty safe and sound prospect but there are a lot of good interior lineman that could go between late first and late third. So I think it depends on if a run on does guys starts early and if somebody like him better then the other options. 

I feel like I'm higher on Wilson then most people. So I expect to lose maybe 30 points on him. But this WR class is pretty weak, so maybe teams panic. 

Yesterday I read some article that Edmunds might get a little hot. Some talk about him going on day 2. If that happens I get around 60 points back. Would compensate for the Wilson score. 

Akins, Nichols and Edmonds could all go undrafted. I expect to lose points on that, but I think I know better then NFL teams! Of does guys only Nichols could maybe be a small steal. I just looked it up and some have him in the 5th round range. 

At the end I think I will finish around 0 or maybe a small plus. 

13 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

I also had Jacobs listed.

But to be clear, PFA lists are nothing more than stating other prospects that you are interested in seeing how they'll do.

You don't get "credit" for them and you listing them doesn't prevent some other GM listing them as well.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought I had missed some FA bonanza while sleeping! My biggest surprise was Javon Wims going undrafted, I think he's a lock for the 5th or 6th round.

POST DRAFT REVIEW

Thanks again for all your hard work @Epochalypse. It's been a fun first mock draft with you guys and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. For the most part everyone behaved themselves and I definitely feel like my knowledge has increased tenfold listening to some of you debate. I've only been following the NFL for 6-7 years but I love the learning curve.

As far as my draft for the Chargers went I think I did OK. They've got a pretty talented roster with minimal gaps. We wanted to concentrate on stopping the run which we struggled with and also slowing down the gunslingers in our division while adding a few missing pieces on offense.

Taking Vea in the 1st was a no-brainer. I agree there's depth at DT but nothing like what Vea offers. He consistently demanded double teams, something that will rarely happen with Ingram and Bosa on the outside. He's just scratching the surface of his pass rush ability and he's a ridiculous athlete at 347 lbs.

I could have gone a few different routes in the 2nd but didn't really like the top end OL talent and thought Ragnow would fall into the 3rd with an opportunity to trade up for him. I like Reid, and think he will be a solid starter in the NFL with his versatility and smarts.

I had further plans to trade up in round 3 but got cold feet on watching further video of JaMarco Jones. As much as the Chargers need O line help I figured with the signing of Pouncey and Lamp coming back healthy we could look at projects further down the line. LB is my favourite position in the NFL and for some reason Leonard just jumped off the screen at me. I think he'll have an up and down rookie year, but once he figures out his playing weight and gets some NFL reps under his belt he's going to be an absolute beast.

Round 4 was easy. Hines is the perfect explosive playmaker the Chargers need. Ekeler filled in admirably for Gordon last year but doesn't offer quite the same ability. Hines will also provide value as a punt/ kick returner. Hoping he stays injury-free.

Round 5 I had a trade offer in place for one of the M.I.A GM's to move up and take Teller. I settled for Clapp. He'll be a viable backup and potential starter down the line.

Round 6 was my biggest reach. He's likely DGB 2.0 but with the right coaching he could be Martavius Bryant 2.0. Watch this space.

Round 7 was either Siran Neal or Thomas. I figured the Chargers secondary is a lot deeper so went with Thomas. There's a lot of red flags with this dude but he's got the physical traits and should help on ST.

Looking forward to the real draft now!

12 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

I don't even know if the 2015 thread exists anymore and I cant remember how to change my sig to use that to track.

I remember La'el Collins and Stephone Anthony

La'el Collins

Jaelen STrong

Stephone Anthony

Michael Bennett

Jaquiski Tartt

Senquez Golson

Jarvis Harrison

ZACH ZENNER (How did you forget about ZACH ZENNER!?!?!!)

Vince Mayle

Blake Bell

Arizona's final tally:

Rd. 1 - Pick 10 - Traded pick #79 to move up from #15 for Lamar Jackson, QB

Rd. 2 - Pick 47 - Ronnie Harrison, S

Rd. 3 - Pick 79 - TRADED

Rd. 3 - Pick 97 - Equanimeous St. Brown, WR

Rd. 4 - Pick 134 - Brandon Parker, OT

Rd. 5 - NO PICK

Rd. 6 - Pick 182 - D.J. Reed, CB

Rd. 7 - Pick 254 - Sean Welsh, OG/C

Pretty happy overall.

- Got my franchise QB without having to break the bank. 

- Got 2 high motor, instuinctual playmakers on the defensive side to help recover from losing Honey Badger and keep the Cardinals competitive with while their offense adjusts to a new guy under center. 

- Got 2 high character o- lineman who should immediately be able to help improve an offense that still runs through David Johnson

- Got a high upside WR who has the benefit of learning from Larry Fitzgerald for at least a year before being thrown to the wolves

Full disclosure: 

- I had my eye on D.J. Chark in the 3rd but he was taken a few picks before.  St. Brown has more long term potential to be an all around better receiver but I think Chark could have more day 1 impact stretching the field and taking the pressure off a recovering David Johnson.  I'd probably have tried to add to the WR corp with FAs (Allen Robinson, Dez Bryant, or Donte Moncrief)  prior to the draft and count on spending another high pick on the position next year as well.

- Similarly, I wanted Ito Smith as my final pick in the 7th but he was taken a few picks before.  I think he would fit in really well with Arizona's offense and provide a cheap insurance policy/tag team partner/additional playmaker for David Johnson while he gets back up to speed from last year's injury.

Image result for football john madden family guy gif

La'el Collins

Jaelen STrong

Stephone Anthony

Michael Bennett

Jaquiski Tartt

Senquez Golson

Jarvis Harrison

ZACH ZENNER (How did you forget about ZACH ZENNER!?!?!!)

Vince Mayle

Blake Bell

To be fair, I forgot that was the Zenner draft.

Full disclosure, that is the other Michael Bennett...

Let's say while not catastrophic, this draft has established a good point to show improvement very easy from...:ph34r:

18 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

I know that's not part of the Mock Draft, but these are the players I'd go after.

It certainly could be a part of the mock draft, but we would need a commissioner who was in support of a plan and standing behind it, first of all. 

Second, we would need multiple things to come together for a plan and for the GMs to agree on the rules in order to make a fun and fair competition. 

But as it seems to be now, many GMs are already absent from the drafting process, other GMs call the later rounds a "waste," even more GMs usually have a stick up their butt about adopting new protocol. So, in short it's an uphill battle to get people on board, but not for lack of imagination or ability to craft a fun game that also is a competition. 

But I'm not going to waste my time writing out a proposal and delineating all the proposed rules and details just for some random drive-bye of a GM saying "I won't play along and I'll call the whole draft into question," then watch them go back to playing switch.

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

It certainly could be a part of the mock draft, but we would need a commissioner who was in support of a plan and standing behind it, first of all. 

Second, we would need multiple things to come together for a plan and for the GMs to agree on the rules in order to make a fun and fair competition. 

But as it seems to be now, many GMs are already absent from the drafting process, other GMs call the later rounds a "waste," even more GMs usually have a stick up their butt about adopting new protocol. So, in short it's an uphill battle to get people on board, but not for lack of imagination or ability to craft a fun game that also is a competition. 

But I'm not going to waste my time writing out a proposal and delineating all the proposed rules and details just for some random drive-bye of a GM saying "I won't play along and I'll call the whole draft into question," then watch them go back to playing switch.

I'd be interested in participating depending on what form it takes. I won't run it.

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

I'd be interested in participating depending on what form it takes. I won't run it.

Yeah, one of the main questions to be answered is, do people care if only a fraction of the GMs participate, or do people feel like 100%, all 32 GM involvement is necessary. 

The way I've constructed the framework of the competition, it is inherently an optional involvement for each and every GM. Some may participate to whatever extent they wish, or not at all.

But as I brought this up last year, a very vocal GM or two abstained almost immediately because, I can only assume, because they didn't think everyone (all 32) would participate, therefore "queering" the whole operation. Or some notion of they, themselves, not being able to give the time commitment for another role-play adventure after the big role-play adventure of the draft itself. Or some such thing. 

But I can certainly write it all out. It would be easier to explain over a few beers in a few minutes. 

2018 RAIDERS DRAFT RECAP:

#15 LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH OLB BOISE ST.

#52 JAMES WASHINGTON WR OKLAHOMA ST.

#75 DUKE DAWSON CB FLORIDA

#79 JAMARCO JONES OT OHIO ST.

#110 SHAQUEM GRIFFIN OLB CENTRAL FLORIDA

#118 JOHN KELLY RB TENNESSEE

#152 JALYN HOLMES DE OHIO ST.

#159 J'MON MOORE WR MISSOURI

#173 NIC SHIMONEK QB TEXAS TECH.

#190 TROY APKE S PENN STATE

#193 AVONTE MADDOX CB PITTSBURGH

#212 ROC THOMAS RB JACKSONVILLE ST.

#216 ANDRE CHACHERE CB SAN JOSE ST.

#217 KYLIE FITTS DE UTAH 

#222 NATRELL JAMERSON S WISCONSIN

Good job guys! Interested in seeing where my guys actually go :)

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

#15 LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH OLB BOISE ST.

#52 JAMES WASHINGTON WR OKLAHOMA ST.

#75 DUKE DAWSON CB FLORIDA

#79 JAMARCO JONES OT OHIO ST.

#110 SHAQUEM GRIFFIN OLB CENTRAL FLORIDA

#118 JOHN KELLY RB TENNESSEE

#152 JALYN HOLMES DE OHIO ST.

#159 J'MON MOORE WR MISSOURI

#173 NIC SHIMONEK QB TEXAS TECH.

#190 TROY APKE S PENN STATE

#193 AVONTE MADDOX CB PITTSBURGH

#212 ROC THOMAS RB JACKSONVILLE ST.

#216 ANDRE CHACHERE CB SAN JOSE ST.

#217 KYLIE FITTS DE UTAH 

#222 NATRELL JAMERSON S WISCONSIN

Good job guys! Interested in seeing where my guys actually go :)

You do know there's a 53 player roster limit?

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

So many names...

Why would you not trade up to improve your picks?

You have to think your odds of hitting on so many day 3 picks aren't good and it's not like the Raiders have that many holes.

Minnesota Vikings recap.  I look forward to next year, despite my extreme dislike for almost all of you. :cheers:

1st RD - #30 - Courtland Sutton WR -- SMU

3rd RD - #70 - Tyrell Crosby OT -- Oregon

3rd RD - #98 - RJ McIntosh DL -- Miami

5th RD - #167 - Kameron Kelly DB -- SDSU

6th RD - #177 - Logan Woodside QB -- Toledo

6th RD - #192 - Troy Fumagalli TE -- Wisconsin

6th RD - #204 - Andre Smith ILB -- UNC

6th RD - #213 - Taylor Hearn OG -- Clemson

6th RD - #218 - Daniel Carlson K -- Auburn

7th RD- #225 - Jeremy Reaves S -- South Alabama

200w.webp

Seattle Seahawks 2018 Draft

Im no Guru

Round 1 Josh Jackson CB IOWA

Round 4 Derrick Nnadi DT FSU

Round 5 Jordan Lasley WR UCLA

Round 5 Armani Watts S Texas A&M

Round 5 Teagray Scales LB Indiana

Round 5 Chris Herndon TE Miami

Round 6 Kendrick Norton DT Miami 

Without too many marquise picks we went for bpa regardless of position. We like Jacksons upside, size, and play making ability. Herndon has the size speed and hands to get a lot better as a pro. Nnadi and Norton we think fit nicely into our rotation on the line..happened to lean more on D which is fine because Seattle needs an influx of talent on D.

We feel good about what we did, would have loved to had the right OL at the right time when we picked but it didn't work out that way. 

It was fun. Thanks to everyone who made it happen @Epochalypse and the rest of the bunch.

Archived