Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That Blake Bortles quote floating around being pointed towards Cousins is the rock bottom for the AntiKirk contingent.

Bortles has transformed from being a punchline who many suggested months back will likely be released -- to a hot commodity who generously isn't pursuing elite money.  :ols:

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Been seeing these ridiculous lists of options people are convinced teams will choose, leaving Kirk no place to sign, for a while now. But when we've reached the point where it's being suggested Denver is too happy with Paxton Lynch to go after Cousins, you know we're beyond the realm of reason. 

NO place to sign, um no. We are talking about less than forecast money, and not his city of choice. Is it ridiculous to theorize what seems like a lot of decent free agent options, lot's of good QBs coming out, and not a ton of teams with unlimited cap space/deep pockets needing a QB? 

I assume you're convinced that he is still going to be the highest paid player in the league; that everything all is basically going to plan.  The way I see it, if it ain't the Jets, I am not sure he is getting #1 money. For the record, I don't think he left for top dollar. He left to get away from the Redskins, and if he makes the most money doing it, so be it.

If its not this year, one year the league will figure out the best free agent QB every year shouldn't be its highest paid player. It's only a matter of time.

56 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

NO place to sigh, um no. We are talking about less than forecast money, and not his city of choice. Is it ridiculous to theorize what seems like an lot of decent free agent options, lot's of good QBs coming out, and not a ton of teams with unlimited cap space/deep pockets needing a QB? 

I assume you're convinced that he is still going to be the highest paid player in the league; that everything all is basically going to plan.  The way I see it, if it ain't the Jets, I am not sure he is getting #1 money. For the record, I don't think he left for top dollar. He left to get away from the Redskins, and if he makes the most money doing it, so be it.

Nope. I'm not invested in where he goes or how much he gets. I have no idea on either and neither mean much to me. And I at least know enough to know that I know nothing when it comes to what is going to happen in FA. No one ever knows who's going to pursue whom.

And that's what I was mocking. This keeps coming up, posters listing teams and then definitively telling us that this team is definitely going to sign that FA and that team is going to draft this QB.And combining that with people inventing cap problems for certain teams. All so people can tell us how few options there are for Cousins, which they have no way to know. Those posts are ridiculous and they are happening a lot.

15 hours ago, joeken24 said:

The pickings is getting slim for Kirk. 

Cleveland: Joe Thomas later says in an interview that he doesn't see Kirk coming to Cleveland. Cleveland FO passed on a trade for him last year and has alluded to wanting to go young and not wanting to spend the money. Plus they're not a "winning" team.

Jaguars: Just signed Blake to long term deal.

Denver: Drafted a QB (Paxton Lynch) in the first round. He's been hurt and hasn't played much. The Broncos also lack cap space.

Paxton didn't look bad against the Chiefs last year.

The remaining teams is the Jets and maybe the Vikings. Both teams will need to decide if they can win with less than what Kirk is demanding. Bridgewater among others will demand less for comparable talent. Or maybe Kirk takes less. I believe teams will bring the price down by holding out since there is no longer a "sweepstakes" surrounding Kirk. 

The Vikings fit the "winning team argument".

To really upgrade at QB, Broncos' salary cap will need attention

Odds from a betting site fwiw

NFL Salary Cap and Contract Expert...Founder of http://Overthecap.com .

Most of the teams who need a QB aren't just a QB away from seriously competing for a Super Bowl. Cousins is good, but he is not going to elevate your offense. He needs playmakers around him, and then he can light up a defense. I like the way he spreads the ball around. Give him weapons, and he'll show you something. Minnesota would be a good fit from that perspective, but I don't think the team will be willing to cough up the kind of $$ Cousins and McCartney are asking. I know he's mentioned taking less money to play for a winner/stable franchise, but just how much less is less? There are a lot of QBs who'll be eligible to hit the market on the 14th --- Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron (nobody will want the Cardinals two QBs, both of whom are also hitting the FA market, except maybe as inexpensive backups). And Tyrod Taylor will probably be traded somewhere. Keenum probably stays in Minnesota? That's 5 QBs on the market, come 14 March. If your team still needs offensive weapons, and you still need to continue bolstering your defense, why would you spend insane amounts of money on a Cousins contract when you could get one of those other QBs cheaper and use the rest of the dough to sign those missing/needed weapons? If I were a GM, I wouldn't sign him for anything over $20M/year, particularly if there are other areas of the roster that need addressing. I still think that he may find himself out of luck when all is said and done, unless he lowers what are reported to be his likely contract demands.

13 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Most of the teams who need a QB aren't just a QB away from seriously competing for a Super Bowl. Cousins is good, but he is not going to elevate your offense. He needs playmakers around him, and then he can light up a defense. I like the way he spreads the ball around. Give him weapons, and he'll show you something. Minnesota would be a good fit from that perspective, but I don't think the team will be willing to cough up the kind of $$ Cousins and McCartney are asking. I know he's mentioned taking less money to play for a winner/stable franchise, but just how much less is less? There are a lot of QBs who'll be eligible to hit the market on the 14th --- Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron (nobody will want the Cardinals two QBs, both of whom are also hitting the FA market, except maybe as inexpensive backups). And Tyrod Taylor will probably be traded somewhere. Keenum probably stays in Minnesota? If your team still needs offensive weapons, and you still need to continue bolstering your defense, why would you spend insane amounts of money on a Cousins contract when you could get one of those other QBs cheaper and use the rest of the dough to sign those missing/needed weapons? If I were a GM, I wouldn't sign him for anything over $20M/year, particularly if there are other areas of the roster that need addressing. I still think that he find himself out of luck when all is said and done, unless he lowers what appear to be his contract demands.

Can you please point to where it's definitively stated what Kirk and his agent are asking for? I have been following this pretty closely and the only number I have heard from Kirk's side is that they offered $19M/yr after 2015 and turned down an offer that amounted to a 2 yr deal worth the same as the tag for 2 yrs. Based on your post you seem have additional information that the rest of us do not have. Please share with links and validation. 

So as GM, if you will not pay Kirk more than $20M/yr (this ignores the fact that $/yr is pretty useless when discussing contracts - it's guaranteed money and length, but OK let's play along), how do you feel about Alex Smith at what is expected to be just over $23M/yr?  

Just now, goskins10 said:

Can you please point to where it's definitively stated what Kirk and his agent are asking for? I have been following this pretty closely and the only number I have heard from Kirk's side is that they offered $19M/yr after 2015 and turned down an offer that amounted to a 2 yr deal worth the same as the tag for 2 yrs. Based on your post you seem have additional information that the rest of us do not have. Please share with links and validation. 

So as GM, if you will not pay Kirk more than $20M/yr (this ignores the fact that $/yr is pretty useless when discussing contracts - it's guaranteed money and length, but OK let's play along), how do you feel about Alex Smith at what is expected to be just over $23M/yr?  

I wouldn't have paid Smith that kind of money, either. Our team isn't a few missing pieces here and there away from making a Super Bowl run. Our deficiencies stretch beyond the roster and extend to coaching. As far as Cousins goes, I like the kid and have nothing against him. I hope he gets PAID. It's just starting to look like maybe other, more compatible options might present themselves to teams who are more than just a QB away from competing; or that some GMs might be viewing Cousins as sort of this year's Matt Flynn, and might thus be unwilling to make such a heavy investment. In my post, I was pretty careful to say, in that last sentence, what are reportedly their contract demands. And I said that precisely because, as you noted, we really have no idea what their real demands were with the Skins, or are now. It's all just conjecture. There were tons of reports about them wanting a certain percentage of the cap. I'm on my phone and can't copy and paste on this thing, but those articles are certainly out there.

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

With Kirk being adamant about not negatively influencing the QB market, and Graps getting what he got... added to the reports of the Jets considering $30 mil a year, and $60 mil in the 1st season (assuming thats in large a signing bonus)... I think it's fair to ASSUME that he's going to sign for >$27mil.  The market wil dictate that... He hasn't flat out said he doesn't want to take the biggest deal, but he's been hiding behind the statement of "not wanting to hurt QB contracts in the future." 

Dude is gonna get paid, big time.  

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Smiths deal is 5/111 at 22.2 p/y

Even without war and peace style evidence, does anyone on the board actually think Kirk doesn't want a 20m+ deal p/y. I thought there was only Bruce Allen who had that opinion :rofl89:

I think we will have an out after 2 years with Smith, hopefully 17m this year and then 22m next then hopefully cut ties with him.

HTTR 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

With Kirk being adamant about not negatively influencing the QB market, and Graps getting what he got... added to the reports of the Jets considering $30 mil a year, and $60 mil in the 1st season (assuming thats in large a signing bonus)... I think it's fair to ASSUME that he's going to sign for >$27mil.  The market wil dictate that... He hasn't flat out said he doesn't want to take the biggest deal, but he's been hiding behind the statement of "not wanting to hurt QB contracts in the future." 

Dude is gonna get paid, big time.  

That's not the point. It just gets nauseating when so many people continue to refer to "what Kirk is asking" when in fact we do not know. He could be looking for much less than we think and when he takes the narrative will be - See, he's not worth the money he was asking the Redskins" when in fact no one but Kirk and possible the team know.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Smiths deal is 5/111 at 22.2 p/y

Even without war and peace style evidence, does anyone on the board actually think Kirk doesn't want a 20m+ deal p/y. I thought there was only Bruce Allen who had that opinion :rofl89:

This is completely irrelevant. Again, as with a few of your cohorts (not meant to be derogatory) you continue to miss this is not about Alex vs. Kirk. I asked the question because the previous poster said they would not pay Kirk $20M/yr. So if that's the case was simply asking what they thought about Alex's approximate $23M/yr. Can you provide the data to support the $22.2M/yr number? My understanding is the contract details cannot be divulged until the season is over. Everything I saw was speculative stating approximately $23M/yr - which again without knowing the guaranteed money is not very useful. My only reading is that there is a 2 yr out - but it's after this years $17M. So it's actually a 3 yr out. But again it's just speculative. If you have verified details of the contract I would great appreciate seeing them. I much prefer talking with data. 

Since it continues to be ignored - no one here knows what Kirk is asking. Yes, I agree it's probably north of $25M/yr - something very similar to Andrew Lucks contract would be my guess. But it's just that - a guess. 

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

but he's been hiding behind the statement of "not wanting to hurt QB contracts in the future." 

I think this is more something that Redskins fans talk about more than him hiding behind the statement.  I've read it so many times the past few days, one would think he says it every time he opens his mouth.  It was a statement made quite a while ago, that was followed by saying he'd renegotiate terms of said contract later to help the team. 

I still can't get over folks propping up the selfless Blake Bortles "taking one for the team" because he doesn't want to squabble over money.  When I'm pretty sure his agent told him to race to the Jaguars facility to put the ink on that extension before they change their mind.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's not the point. It just gets nauseating when so many people continue to refer to "what Kirk is asking" when in fact we do not know. He could be looking for much less than we think and when he takes the narrative will be - See, he's not worth the money he was asking the Redskins" when in fact no one but Kirk and possible the team know.

I'm with ya, and I agree.. At this point we haven't heard anything come from him as a "want."  That in itself should tell you something.  Him and his agent don't want to put an asking price out there, because even they don't know how high it could go. 

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think this is more something that Redskins fans talk about more than him hiding behind the statement.  I've read it so many times the past few days, one would think he says it every time he opens his mouth.  It was a statement made quite a while ago, that was followed by saying he'd renegotiate terms of said contract later to help the team. 

I still can't get over folks propping up the selfless Blake Bortles "taking one for the team" because he doesn't want to squabble over money.  When I'm pretty sure his agent told him to race to the Jaguars facility to put the ink on that extension before they change their mind.

To the first point, we can only go by what he's said, and this was a major tell in trying to figure out what he's thinking.  I also take what he says with a grain of salt because he's played both sides of the card this whole time.  I don't blame him for wanting to keep all his options open, but I also understand he's in a position to make a business decision.  The same business decision that most people trying to judge him on, have no idea what a decision like that is made of.   Kirk is very calculated... he got the shaft by the organization and has decided that he wants to pursue other teams... all while going way beyond necessary to try to keep the Redskins as a viable option.  Almost like the guy who want's to start dating other girls, but is afraid that the hot prom date wont work out... so he keeps the current girlfriend with just enough hope.... so if he needs to run back, the opening is still there.  Him saying he 'doesn't want to hurt future QB contracts' just tells me that he's letting it be known that he's not going to be lowballed.  It's telling GMs who might want to sign him, that they better come with a competitive offer financially.

To the 2nd point... lol.  Bortles didn't take one for the team, the team took one for Bortles.  3 years, $56 mil and I want to say I heard $23 mil was guaranteed... for a QB who got to the AFC Championship game and did enough to put the team in position to win.... Bortles got paid for what he did... not what he's going to do.  

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Most of the teams who need a QB aren't just a QB away from seriously competing for a Super Bowl. Cousins is good, but he is not going to elevate your offense. He needs playmakers around him, and then he can light up a defense. 

Please list off all the play makers he's had around him, especially last season.  Kirk not only elevated our offense, he was our offense for the majority of the season; without him last season, we win three games tops.  If you want to talk about a QB that needs play makers around him to just come out average, let's talk our new QB. The problem is, he doesn't have any play makers that come close to what he had in KC or in SF. Unless we do a lot of shopping this offseason, we will be south of five wins next year with Alex, and that's even with the majority of the injured guys being back full strength.  

Gruden's offense is going to generate big numbers for the QB, especially YAC. Cousins has had some serious weapons at his disposal -- Garcon, DJax, Jordan Reed, Jamison Crowder. Last year was different, of course, because two of those receivers were gone, and Reed was hurt again. But Chris Thompson is a playmaker, Grandpa Davis can still run and get it done at TE. He has had weapons around him, though I agree with Keim that we need a DJax-type guy to complement Crowder and Doctson and make defenses have to game-plan. The tone of your response is as if I somehow don't like this kid. I've said it many times before, and will repeat it here --- I like Cousins. But you can like someone and support him as an athlete while at the same time recognizing his limitations.

We'll see what Alex Smith can do. I was not at all enthused with the reports of his trade to the Skins. Obviously, as a fan, I hope he performs well. And in the Gruden offense, he ought to be able to do some things, so long as he has those weapons. A healthy Thompson and Reed, plus Doctson, Crowder, and new WR and a real RB....and things could be interesting.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

This is completely irrelevant. Again, as with a few of your cohorts (not meant to be derogatory) you continue to miss this is not about Alex vs. Kirk. I asked the question because the previous poster said they would not pay Kirk $20M/yr. So if that's the case was simply asking what they thought about Alex's approximate $23M/yr. Can you provide the data to support the $22.2M/yr number? My understanding is the contract details cannot be divulged until the season is over. Everything I saw was speculative stating approximately $23M/yr - which again without knowing the guaranteed money is not very useful. My only reading is that there is a 2 yr out - but it's after this years $17M. So it's actually a 3 yr out. But again it's just speculative. If you have verified details of the contract I would great appreciate seeing them. I much prefer talking with data. 

Since it continues to be ignored - no one here knows what Kirk is asking. Yes, I agree it's probably north of $25M/yr - something very similar to Andrew Lucks contract would be my guess. But it's just that - a guess. 

I didn't make if an Alex v Kirk debate. Was simply stating the Smith deal numbers whilst implying it's blatantly obvious Kirk want 20mil plus py.

My Smith number come from the widely reported 4 year 94 mil extension to his existing final year, believed to be 17mil. I would suspect we amend the year by year composition on the deal come FA. Total will still be 5/111.

Last season, Cousins essentially had Thompson, Grant, occasional TE help from Davis, and occasional support from Doctson who was still in training mode.  Undermining his ability to connect with those receivers were -- an injury-riddled and shaky O-line, and no real running game threat to keep defenses honest.  I don't think anyone would claim that the Skins defenses were stellar, or stalwart and would reliably help hold a lead.  And special teams?

For The 2018 season Smith will likely have a healthier O-line, a roster with less injuries (??), a more seasoned Doctson, at least a few weeks of Reid, and maybe another quality WR, TE, and RB brought in. And Smith will likely be able to lead the team efficiently.  So, depending on how decent the defense and special teams are, the Skins could be conceivably "middle of the pack" competitive in the NFC-East.

Smith's a decent NFL-starting QB, and if Gruden is willing to build in more plays that he's been good at performing... he'll fit in well.  But just as people were eager to claim that Cousins couldn't take the Skins to the 'promised land' -- that's exactly the same thing said of Smith over many more seasons. And Smith is getting older, and running out of time before his skills erode.

Regardless,  Smith's a quality guy, and a steady leader -- I really do hope he can break through with some big playoff wins and dispel those negative claims.

Inwardly, my fear is the Skins is pursuing a operational tactic of offering its fans a team that is 'somewhat decent' and 'somewhat competitive' for the next couple of years -- before they have to find another QB.  And Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see much from this group besides a wild-card race, before having to go back to rebuild mode.  I suspect the salary cap will probably be fine.

Bottom line: this doesn't look like some "The Future is Now" type of team.  Early on, it seems like a strategy of "Let's get by with a team that offers new faces, and new hopes ...until late November, when the hopes fade and then we see how we need to continue the rebuild".

15 hours ago, joeken24 said:

One other team out there is the Cardinals. They have a new head coach and no QB (Carson Palmer retired).  But like Peterson of the Cardinals said about Kirk request for top dollar: 

“He can make every throw that you need a quarterback to make,

Peterson has played against Cousins three times and intercepted a pass in the Cardinals’ victory in 2016.

Acquiring Cousins won’t be cheap. He’s expected to command a deal worth at least $25 million a year.

“Yeah, that’s tough but we’ll see what happens,” Peterson said.

I'm bummed that the Cardinals look to be out of the running because in my head this would be the perfect spot for Kirk.  A classy organization with lots of charity and military ties.  A trio of him, Fitzgerald and David Johnson would be very easy for a fanbase to rally behind.  Lots of playmakers on Defense to help him out as well.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:43 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t want to read folks make up stuff to make themselves feel better about being Redskins fans, but here I am.  It’s a free world, hoss.  He’s not breaking any forum rules, get over it.

**** off. I don't even watch games anymore and I don't get why people are announcing they'll be following a QB somewhere else.  I was sad we didn't keep Trent Green, I didn't go spending time watching him.  Either get over it and move on or MOVE on to your other team.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

**** off. I don't even watch games anymore and I don't get why people are announcing they'll be following a QB somewhere else.  I was sad we didn't keep Trent Green, I didn't go spending time watching him.  Either get over it and move on or MOVE on to your other team.

Thank you

im still a redskins fan first and foremost, but i like Kirk and I’ll probably be at least a little interested in how he does at his next team :) and no, this isn’t me saying I’m leaving the team and cheering for Kirk’s new team. It is possible to be both a redskins fan and a Kirk fan for his new team ;) 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Congrats, Mr. I don’t watch games anymore.  It’s evident in many of your responses that’s the case. 

Are you under the impression that you are somehow a shining example of how everyone should be?

Do you really think anyone that’s made mention of following the quarterback elsewhere or giving up on the Skins in general gives one iota of a crap about how you handled your grievances with the team?

Last I checked you don’t make the rules of fandom nor are your opinions about a team you don’t watch relevant.  

24 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

im still a redskins fan first and foremost, but i like Kirk and I’ll probably be at least a little interested in how he does at his next team :) and no, this isn’t me saying I’m leaving the team and cheering for Kirk’s new team. It is possible to be both a redskins fan and a Kirk fan for his new team ;) 

only superficially.  I mean theoretically I'm a fan of 28 teams in the league.  The Skins and everyone except the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Patriots.  But unlike with the Skins, who I want to always win(even if I know it isn't likely) there will always be circumstances I want those other guys to lose

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Congrats, Mr. I don’t watch games anymore.  It’s evident in many of your responses that’s the case. 

Are you under the impression that you are somehow a shining example of how everyone should be?

Yes, I am the paragon of insightful, quality (but casual) posting, honor and morality on the board.  Do keep up, old chap.  I actually made all the rules of fandom here, I have it on vellum in my safe.

No one is saying you can't be interested from a football perspective as to where Cousins goes.  No one is saying if he happens to make it to the playoffs you can't want him to do well if the Skins are sitting at home.  What they are talking about is the notion that you're hanging out here while discussing your intention to follow a fan somewhere else.  If that wasn't really you, then no worries, right? Anyone who knows my history knows I made very strong attachments to QBs before (and hated Brunell and Campbell) but ultimately when those guys are gone, I'm finished with them.  I don't want them to fail out of the league but that's it. 

The point about me not watching games at this time is to show that even with that, I'm not cutting my commitment to the team, however that commitment plays out.  I just decided that the entire pipeline to the NFL is full of **** people, and I'm not a child looking for role models in athletic/martial virtue, I'm my own man and don't really need it anymore and I'd rather learn or spend time enjoying myself than stressing out (and/or rioting in celebration) over meaningless contests when there are real ones that need fighting.

Archived