Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 hour ago, ShredSkins said:

I just hope he goes to the Browns and they draft Barkley. If the Giants get Barkley. We got problems. Kirk keeping Barkley out of the division might help us more than if Kirk stayed.

Giants could just as easily go QB

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

“[Smith] wanted to be here,” Hall said. “When he was in Kansas City he reached out to those guys in Kansas City and told them, ‘Hey, I understand you guys want to move me. Could you try to get me to Washington? I really want to get to Washington.’ For a guy to really want us as a team, as teammates, that means a lot, that means a whole lot where, you know. It felt like Kirk was forced to be here. I wish nothing but the best for him and whatever is next for him, but this organization is doing nothing but going up

=====Sorry not sorry,  **** Kirk Cousins. 

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

We've carried D Hall's salary for a couple years now and he hasn't done squat so I'm not surprised that he loves the Redskins.

Hasn't done squat, other than come in at a few random times to blow games that our crew of Bruce fans  attribute to Kirk. 

Maybe that's why Bumbling Bruce kept him around all this time.

20 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Whohooo!!!

Going 5-11 with Alex Smith instead.

Next season is going to be hilarious. 

But...but...but...we had a lot of injuries and nobody to run the ball... :rofl89:

12 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Hasn't done squat, other than come in at a few random times to blow games that our crew of Bruce fans  attribute to Kirk. 

Maybe that's why Bumbling Bruce kept him around all this time.

Whohooo!!!

But...but...but...we had a lot of injuries and nobody to run the ball... :rofl89:

Or your setting yourself up to look like an idiot come the fall. Who knows what happens but if there is one thing I know it’s dont speak in absolutes when it comes to the NFL.

2 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

I just hope he goes to the Browns and they draft Barkley. If the Giants get Barkley. We got problems. Kirk keeping Barkley out of the division might help us more than if Kirk stayed.

That's my mantra, too.  I'd rather the Giants be able to pick and choose any QB they want as opposed to landing Barkley.

3 hours ago, Birdlives said:
More

#NFL combine prep. 5. There is going to be strong Kirk Cousins buzz all week as his market takes shape. If #Broncos are willing to pay $25 mil per and $80 mil+ gteed, I believe he ends up there. If not, I think his recruitment gets wild among other suitors.”

25 replies57 retweets82 l

If Kirk accepts anything less than the Jimmy G deal under any circumstances he’ll likely incur the wrath of the NFLPA and his fellow players. Turning contracts down is not acceptable in our new business environment. “I took 20mil less because I want to win” is not an acceptable talking point. The Broncos will have to get close, maybe not exceed, but get close. Then there’s the flack his agent would take. That’s an entirely different fraternity.  You don’t take a bell cow into the market and sell him to someone you like at half the price thereby undercutting your fellows’ clients.

Before anyone quotes Jimmy G, don’t, just don’t. He can talk all he wants about not handcuffing his team, but he took a solid market deal for a guy who started 5 games and had almost as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Baloney, Cousins should go wherever he wants.  If Cousins wants to take his shot at winning in Minnesota for significantly less than he could get in NYC than that's what he should do.  Who doesn't want to win?  If he wanted to play on a mediocre team he could have stayed in Ashburn and played with his friends, he chose not to because he wants to win.  Sure the owner is a toad but how often does he even have to talk to him?  Not enough to move and don't think for a minute the Redskins did the Smith deal to safe 3-5M a year because wasn't available to them unless they were willing to tag him for another year.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Baloney, Cousins should go wherever he wants.  If Cousins wants to take his shot at winning in Minnesota for significantly less than he could get in NYC than that's what he should do.  Who doesn't want to win?  If he wanted to play on a mediocre team he could have stayed in Ashburn and played with his friends, he chose not to because he wants to win.  Sure the owner is a toad but how often does he even have to talk to him?  Not enough to move and don't think for a minute the Redskins did the Smith deal to safe 3-5M a year because wasn't available to them unless they were willing to tag him for another year.

the way you talk about Kirk you'd think he won multuple MVPs in the league.

Kirk's comments have been pretty clear that he wants it all.  Heprobably won't get it.  Most of think if it comes to money or immediate wins, he'd choose money

New Rams CB Marcus Peters was asked on NFL Total Access if he agreed with the Chiefs parting ways with QB Alex Smith. "No, man," he said. "Alex don't get enough respect, and they need to start putting some respect on that man's name. Because I (have) seen that man get thrown under the bus too many times, and he took it as a man. He never complained about it. He don't turn the ball over, and he knows how to win. That was our fault for messing up the playoffs on him. Our fault."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0759939385293542507-4

9 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

“[Smith] wanted to be here,” Hall said. “When he was in Kansas City he reached out to those guys in Kansas City and told them, ‘Hey, I understand you guys want to move me. Could you try to get me to Washington? I really want to get to Washington.’ For a guy to really want us as a team, as teammates, that means a lot, that means a whole lot where, you know. It felt like Kirk was forced to be here. I wish nothing but the best for him and whatever is next for him, but this organization is doing nothing but going up

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Whohooo!!!

My disdain for Kirk is not outdone but my disdain for Bruce Allen, don't confuse the two. 

10 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

The first time I read this, I kind of glossed over it as DHall just being Dhall and backing the FO as he's done regularly.

But reading it back again, I can totally understand why folks think this was being fed to him by the FO to convey to the public.  What defensive player goes into this much detail about an offensive player and how he got here?  While I've always believed Bruce is a dummy as a personnel guy, he fits Scot's politician description to a tee.  First his press release turning fans against his quarterback, only to come back full circle and bring it home with the exit bashing and sale of the replacement.  I gotta give him credit, he's succeeding in his mission.

8 hours ago, carex said:

the way you talk about Kirk you'd think he won multuple MVPs in the league.

Veryoldschool absolutely puts it on thick in regards to Cousins.

With that said, pot meet kettle?  The way you defend practically every move the team makes, one would think they don't do anything wrong and would win more than 40% of their games historically.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The first time I read this, I kind of glossed over it as DHall just being Dhall and backing the FO as he's done regularly.

But reading it back again, I can totally understand why folks think this was being fed to him by the FO to convey to the public.  What defensive player goes into this much detail about an offensive player and how he got here?  While I've always believed Bruce is a dummy as a personnel guy, he fits Scot's politician description to a tee.  First his press release turning fans against his quarterback, only to come back full circle and bring it home with the exit bashing and sale of the replacement.  I gotta give him credit, he's succeeding in his mission.

I can see that... but this also is a bit in line with what Thompson said too... about mixed messages.  That said I absolutely could see Bruce trying to trash the rep of Kirk or any outbound, high profile free agent.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I can see that... but this also is a bit in line with what Thompson said too... about mixed messages.  That said I absolutely could see Bruce trying to trash the rep of Kirk or any outbound, high profile free agent.  

Just take any reference to Kirk out of it and read it.  Dude went out of his way to say that Alex was not only golly gee shucks with leaving the Chiefs but Washington was his primary destination that he really wanted to get to.  No mention of the big time extension Washington gave him.  Only mention of how much it means to the guys to have someone that 'wants' them.  :ols: 

Again, I don't dislike Alex Smith, this whole charade has absolutely nothing to do with him.  I just can't help but laugh at how personal and strategic this whole mess has gotten with Kirk.  I must credit Bruce with somehow turning the tides, if nothing else - he's one hell of a politician. 

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just take any reference to Kirk out of it and read it.  Dude went out of his way to say that Alex was not only golly gee shucks with leaving the Chiefs but Washington was his primary destination that he really wanted to get to.  No mention of the big time extension Washington gave him.  Only mention of how much it means to the guys to have someone that 'wants' them.  :ols: 

Again, I don't dislike Alex Smith, this whole charade has absolutely nothing to do with him.  I just can't help but laugh at how personal and strategic this whole mess has gotten with Kirk.  I must credit Bruce with somehow turning the tides, if nothing else - he's one hell of a politician. 

Are you suggesting a passive aggressive slight at Kirk? 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Are you suggesting a passive aggressive slight at Kirk? 

I'm not suggesting it, that's exactly what it is.  Bruce has sold this whole thing as Kirk doesn't want to be a Redskin, not Kirk thinks I being Bruce is a p.o.s. and doesn't want to deal with me anymore.  DHall only further hits home with that playing the Smith 'wants us' card while Kirk was 'forced'.  I'm not even saying that none of those things are true.  It's just the first time I've ever heard a player go out of his way to explain another mans business negotiation and the emotions attached to them and how that 'impacts' the team.  If that's not a sales pitch, I don't know what is.

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not suggesting it, that's exactly what it is.  Bruce has sold this whole thing as Kirk doesn't want to be a Redskin, not Kirk thinks I being Bruce is a p.o.s. and doesn't want to deal with me anymore.  DHall only further hits home with that playing the Smith 'wants us' card while Kirk was 'forced'.  I'm not even saying that none of those things are true.  It's just the first time I've ever heard a player go out of his way to explain another mans business negotiation and the emotions attached to them and how that 'impacts' the team.  If that's not a sales pitch, I don't know what is.

Trying to remain objective, and for the life of me i can't argue this.  

Someone should break down Cousin’s performance in indoor stadiums.  Minnesota could be the team he ends up in meaning Cousins will be playing at least 9 games a year indoors.  Eight at home...one in Detroit.  Growing up in Holland, Michigan and playing college at Michigan State, the snow, cold and wind shouldn’t bother him when playing games in Green Bay and Chicago.  I remember Gruden walking up to Cousins in a game in 2016 marveling at the zip in Cousin’s pass thru a stiff wind.   I always thought Cleveland, Buffalo or the Jets would have been nice locations for him.  The key is how he plays indoors.  If he ends up in Minnesota then he has a great chance of moving up to elite status.

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

McCartney is clearly leaking out all of this latest stuff about various teams having increased interest in Cousins. I still don't buy it. Teams are going to wait to see what happens with McCarron, Bradford, Bridgewater, and Taylor.

For one, he SHOULD do that as the man's agent. Secondly, I think almost any team who really wants/needs a QB would favor Cousins by a wide margin over every one of those guys. The one exception might be Teddy...

I often wonder how people end up as diehard fans of a team.  In the early years it was because of local news channels and newspapers  mainly reporting on the local teams.  You get a steady diet of stories about local players that leads to this intimate connection that feeds the closeness.   But once cable TV then the internet took off, people were able to follow other teams just as well.  The George Allen and Joe Gibbs Eras got me hooked when I would either get high or depressed for a week based on the outcome of games.  Last 20 years has eroded my enthusiasm to the point that I rarely watch a full game and have half-heartedly started tuning in to the Red Zone.  I am officially done with the Redskins and only here until the outcome of Cousin’s fate and to vent frustration on Snyder and Allen for ruining the team.  Starting April I will evolve into a modern fan who follows teams or players from another area without hometown loyalty.  I already have developed a liking for the 49ers who seem to be on the rise and will follow Cousins to whichever team he ends up at because I want to see him succeed.  For those who consider this traitorist to abandon the team...you need to look around and see the evolution of sports.  I work and live near Redskin Park and encounter more Steeler fans in this area than Redskins fans and the second most are Dallas fans.  Sadly times are changing.  It is up to teams to be acutely connected to their fans in order to keep them because the days of blind geographical loyalty is over.

33 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

For one, he SHOULD do that as the man's agent. Secondly, I think almost any team who really wants/needs a QB would favor Cousins by a wide margin over every one of those guys. The one exception might be Teddy...

Oh, I'm not saying that he shouldn't. That's part of the man's job -- to drive up interest, give the appearance of more competition/interest than there might actually be, and thus drive up $$. I'd do the same! I disagree about each of those teams preferring Cousins. I wonder how recovered from their injuries Bradford and Bridgewater actually are.

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Oh, I'm not saying that he shouldn't. That's part of the man's job -- to drive up interest, give the appearance of more competition/interest than there might actually be, and thus drive up $$. I'd do the same! I disagree about each of those teams preferring Cousins. I wonder how recovered from their injuries Bradford and Bridgewater actually are.

Of that group, Bridgewater is the only one that would interest me more than Cousins. And, like you mentioned, that's dependent on his injury. Bradford will get hurt again because he has about a 5-6 year track record of doing just that. There's no reason to believe that Taylor or McCarron can be as good as Cousins has been. 

I'm just trying to be objective...I'm happy that we've moved on from Cousins. But, realistically speaking, no team is out there more interested in Tyrod Taylor or Sam Bradford unless money is the primary factor. 

Archived