Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

12 minutes ago, carex said:

we can't trade him if he doesn't.  But we can also withdraw it later leaving him stuck in limbo as other teams move one

In some ways the Redskins FO have done Cousins a favor by letting other teams know early that he would be available. They can start making their plans and getting their ducks in a row.

The whole $34 million thing cannot be understated.

He knows he has a secured out from the Redskins - the franchise tag shouldn't scare him. Signing the tag gives him great leverage moving forward because he starts with a 1 yr/$34 million guarantee and his future team(s) cannot attempt to think about franchising him.

15 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

In some ways the Redskins FO have done Cousins a favor by letting other teams know early that he would be available. They can start making their plans and getting their ducks in a row.

The whole $34 million thing cannot be understated.

He knows he has a secured out from the Redskins - the franchise tag shouldn't scare him. Signing the tag gives him great leverage moving forward because he starts with a 1 yr/$34 million guarantee and his future team(s) cannot attempt to think about franchising him.

What franchise tag are you talking about?  

Bruce will have ways to create enough cap space to tag Kirk whilst still doing work in FA. Once traded, the cap space becomes available again. Simply carry that forward into future years to cover the deferred money from the moves made to open that space up in the first place.

Straight forward.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Bruce will have ways to create enough cap space to tag Kirk whilst still doing work in FA. Once traded, the cap space becomes available again. Simply carry that forward into future years to cover the deferred money from the moves made to open that space up in the first place.

Straight forward.

Oh sure, Bruce the master negotiator will get the Skins a sweet deal, yeah that's the ticket.....:-)

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Vikings are the only team better than the Redskins?  Really, what color is the sky in your world?  

Name a team other than the Vikings that needs a QB, has enough money to spend, and is really that much better than the Redskins are. The Jets, Browns, Broncos, and Cardinals are all on our level, half of them we beat last season. All have serious problems outside of just QB. The Vikings are the only team coming off even a winning record to be a really viable landing place for him.

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Straight forward.

Kirk on the tag plus Alex = every cent we have.  We cannot sign anyone else or tender any of our own FA/RFA unless we start cutting players at which point we will have officially become the dumbest franchise in the history of the game, FFS let him go and move on. 

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Oh sure, Bruce the master negotiator will get the Skins a sweet deal, yeah that's the ticket.....:-)

Not sure that makes sense, but anyway...

Redskins have 50mil in cap space, fair to say that's the generally reported position. Smiths deal will get restructured on signing. His cap hit will be less than 15mil in 2018. Even being conservative, that leaves 35mil. That instantly covers the tag.

Norman, Trent, Kerrigan and Reed have combine salaries of 40mil against the cap this year. Even I could manufacture 15-20 mil in cap space from that to hit FA. That covers FA.

The missing element is that we need say 15mil to cover the draft, contingency, RFA etc. The key point is we don't need that in March. We don't need that for at least another 2 months. By that stage Kirk has long been traded and the 34mil tag money space is back in the books. 

That being said, my guess is that the tag and trade becomes a same day transaction when it happens.

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Kirk on the tag plus Alex = every cent we have.  We cannot sign anyone else or tender any of our own FA/RFA unless we start cutting players at which point we will have officially become the dumbest franchise in the history of the game, FFS let him go and move on. 

Of course we can.

2 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

What would that entail? I am not even sure if this is a possibility? Has there ever been a situation like this before in the NFL?

I think in some situations it could work, I don't think this is one of those situations but who knows.

If we re-structure those players you mention we will end up kicking the cap hit into future years which is a recipe for disaster as the Saints and Cowboys found out in recent years and what will we gain from it?  The teams that have interest know we don't really want to keep him and need to make this transaction happen quickly so the chances of them offering much more than a late round pick and a bag of chips is minimal.  In order to even make this unappetizing scenario come to pass we need Kirk to sign the tag and I cannot imagine him doing that because he has no motivation whatsoever to do so.

Kirk is leaving in FA and we need to put on our big boy pants and deal with that instead of pissing and moaning like little kids about how unfair it is.  Trying to tag and trade at this point will make us the laughing stock of the sporting world and all we will achieve is forfeiting any chance of a comp pick next year when we inevitably rescind the tag.

50 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Vikings are the only team better than the Redskins?  Really, what color is the sky in your world?  

Let me break it down for you, the Jets, Broncos, Browns, and Cardinals are not better than the Skins.

The Viking are a better team than the Skins, does that make more sense?

Maybe a freshly brewed cup of Sanka would help.

2 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

If we re-structure those players you mention we will end up kicking the cap hit into future years which is a recipe for disaster as the Saints and Cowboys found out in recent years and what will we gain from it?  The teams that have interest know we don't really want to keep him and need to make this transaction happen quickly so the chances of them offering much more than a late round pick and a bag of chips is minimal.  In order to even make this unappetizing scenario come to pass we need Kirk to sign the tag and I cannot imagine him doing that because he has no motivation whatsoever to do so.

Kirk is leaving in FA and we need to put on our big boy pants and deal with that instead of pissing and moaning like little kids about how unfair it is.  Trying to tag and trade at this point will make us the laughing stock of the sporting world and all we will achieve is forfeiting any chance of a comp pick next year when we inevitably rescind the tag.

The fact that we can roll-over the cap room into future years, makes it doable. It's far-fetched, but we'd have to be sure to have a trading partner to do this.

Kirk's leverage is the fact that he can refuse to negotiate a LTD with a team that agrees to a trade with the Skins. This causes a significant hit to his trade value.

The tag and trade is possible, but it's extremely unlikely.

The Broncos are better on defense overall and at every defensive position group (DL/LB/secondary). They have significantly better receivers. It's a push at RB only because Thompson is a beast but Anderson is better than any of our other RBs. 

We have a better OL. We crushed them last year because we had a huge advantage at QB. 

The Cardinals are also better than us defensively, with significantly better receivers and one of the best RBs in the league. 

6 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Just keeping track here. So far QBs that are just as good as Cousins include Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, and a guy who almost lost a leg a year ago. Minnesota must be crazy for letting their guys go I guess. 

Actually those guys are better than Cousins, as is Foles and Mariota, because they all won playoff games and Redskins fans know that Cousins can't do that. 

:rofl89:

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Broncos with a quarterback are better than the Skins.  

The Broncos will need to make room to get that quarterback. The rest of the team has been crumbling since their Super Bowl, and one single quarterback is not going to cover that all up. What we saw this season from the Redskins can attest to it.

49 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They stunk last year and I'm tired of hearing how close they are.  They are a rapidly deteriorating ex-Superbowl champ who is about to get rid of one of their 2 good WR's, their RB, and their best CB.  Their O line stinks and they have no TE.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, cause they did so well when playing us last season. Yeah, that worked for them world beaters.....oh, wait.

I lurk most of the time here, but your insistence to protect everything Cousins has been a let down(and I consider you one of the more knowledgeable posters)?.

Regardless of how you might view the situation, this was a divorce in the making. Brucie was going to be an assclown, and Cousins didn't want to be a Redskin. Simple as that.

This constant bickering over who is at fault is ridiculous. 

I root for the Redskins, not an individual player (ie Cousins). All this nonsense of "poor Cousins" and vile Brucie is mind numbing. 

Do I like Brucie running the team? Hell no. But am i going to **** about losing Cousins? Hell no.

I'm a fan of the Redskins. Cousins is no longer a Redskin. Case closed.

HTTR

Perhaps I should feel special for drawing in lurkers.

What I really find funny is that I’m thought of as this big super duper Cousins fanatic.  Nobody in my family owns any Cousins swag.  I didn’t like the guy as a player anymore than most of you did 3 years ago.  I still don’t think he’s a world beater.  But then again, I don’t think the rest of QBs 3-12 are either.  But all that is really besides the point...

Your post plays right into Bruce’s well executed plan to turn fans against the quarterback.  “Yeah, but...” is a common response to criticism of Bruce, it’s damn near a theme now.  It basically equates to ‘Yeah, but Bruce is a Redskin, Kirk’s not.’ Foregoing logic and facts for the sake of fandom.  That’s fine, atleast you sort of admit it.  

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The Broncos will need to make room to get that quarterback. The rest of the team has been crumbling since their Super Bowl, and one single quarterback is not going to cover that all up. What we saw this season from the Redskins can attest to it.

Ya, we smoked that in DC not to long ago, and it wasn't just because of their horrid QB play.

Cousins should go to the Vikings if he really wants a ring, he's going to get paid no matter where he goes.

Archived