Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

3 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If I had to take a wild guess, it might be because Cousins is better.

According t their stats last season it is closer than people think. Look at their Comp%, INT% and TD%. They are VERY close to each other. And Keenum doesnt turn the ball over anywhere close to what Cousins does. Cousins ranked 18th in INT% this year. It has been a poor stat for him the past 2 seasons now. If you add Alex Smiths stats in then it is no comparison who was the better QB LAST season. It is a small sample size. But with what they are paying Smith as opposed to what it would have cost to sign Cousins. I understand why they did what they did.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/passing.htm

8 minutes ago, carex said:

every story I'd seen before said three years.  Hell, I've even flat out talked about how this last year of potential francishising would have also been the last year of the contract he wanted and no one's ever said any different

As Tay said above, Sheehan reported 5 years with 44M guaranteed.  Point being, nobody really knows what it was.

It's all rendered useless now to even speculate about what could have been at 3 or 5 years.  Some would say that the relationship would have been in a better place to talk extension.  Some would say Kirk and his agent are greed mongers that would have forced the teams hand anyways.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

According t their stats last season it is closer than people think. Look at their Comp%, INT% and TD%. They are VERY close to each other.

Well one guy was playing with an actual running game and legit weapons at receiver and tight end.  The other was playing with primarily a scab squad.

There's not a chance in the world that Minnesota lets Case go to FA unless they are certain that what they got last season was the best they'll ever get out of him.  It's called being decisive.  They may end up wrong and Case could go on to have a great career elsewhere or he could never sniff last seasons success in another area code.  But they are making a decision rather than paying a hefty fee to see a little bit more.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As Tay said above, Sheehan reported 5 years with 44M guaranteed.  Point being, nobody really knows what it was.

It's all rendered useless now to even speculate about what could have been at 3 or 5 years.  Some would say that the relationship would have been in a better place to talk extension.  Some would say Kirk and his agent are greed mongers that would have forced the teams hand anyways.

Even if they arent greed mongers they made it abundantly clear that they were not making a decision before the start of the league year. The Skins couldnt take a chance on having no QB so they made a move. I get it.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

It would be a shady move but is there really a chance that the FO could franchise Cousins and trade him for draft picks?

I heard yesterday on the Czaban show that Cooley thinks we 100% franchise tag Kirk but I cant find audio of Cooley actually saying that.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

...and what does that have to do with anything I was just talking about?

You were talking about their relationship. Kirk made it clear last off season that he was not signing a long term deal then. He also made it clear this off season that he was not doing anything until the start of the league year. Yes the Skins could have signed Cousins after his 6 good games in 2014 season. They screwed that up. But it is not like Cousins has been trying to play ball with them either. He wanted out and he is getting his wish. They did what they needed to do and replaced him. End of story. 

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

According t their stats last season it is closer than people think. Look at their Comp%, INT% and TD%. They are VERY close to each other. And Keenum doesnt turn the ball over anywhere close to what Cousins does. Cousins ranked 18th in INT% this year. It has been a poor stat for him the past 2 seasons now. If you add Alex Smiths stats in then it is no comparison who was the better QB LAST season. It is a small sample size. But with what they are paying Smith as opposed to what it would have cost to sign Cousins. I understand why they did what they did.

I hate to pop your bubble but Keenum had a number one defense and was surrounded with playmakers like Diggs, Thielen, Dalvin Cook, Kyle Rudolf.  Cousins was throwing to Ryan ‘Freaking’ Grant and Vernon ‘Rocking Chair’ Davis.   Big difference there.  BTW.  If Keenum was that good then why are they not franchising and looking at Cousins?  They know...we don’t.

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

What would that entail? I am not even sure if this is a possibility? Has there ever been a situation like this before in the NFL?

Not for the 3rd tag no. The Pats did tag and trade Cassel a few years ago. But it was his first tag. Other positions beside QB it happens all of the time. Miami just did it with Landry this year. 

I cant see the Skins tagging him in all honesty. If I was Cousins, if they tag me I am signing the sheet immediately. That would mean another team has to trade for him on a one year 34 mill deal. I just cant see that happening. But what do I know? 

Just now, XtremeFan55 said:

I hate to pop your bubble but Keenan had a number one defense and was surrounded with playmakers like Diggs, Thielen, Dalvin Cook, Kyle Rudolf.  Cousins was throwing to Ryan ‘Freaking’ Grant and Vernon ‘Rocking Chair’ Davis.   Big difference there.  BTW.  If Keenan was that good then why are they not franchising and looking at Cousins?  They know...we don’t.

Cousins had MAJOR weapons the year before and still had a horrid INT%. He also was DEAD LAST in the league in Redzone efficiency with those same weapons. Oddly, with lesser weapons, he improved his redzone numbers substantially this season.  Yes. He had less to work with this year. But it is not like his stats were markedly better with better talent around him either. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Not for the 3rd tag no. The Pats did tag and trade Cassel a few years ago. But it was his first tag. Other positions beside QB it happens all of the time. Miami just did it with Landry this year. 

I cant see the Skins tagging him in all honesty. If I was Cousins, if they tag me I am signing the sheet immediately. That would mean another team has to trade for him on a one year 34 mill deal. I just cant see that happening. But what do I know?

What happens if he decides not to sign the franchise tag offer?

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

What happens if he decides not to sign the franchise tag offer?

I dont think a player can be traded without a contract. He would definitely be on our books though as we would have to keep that cap space available whether he signs or not. But why wouldnt he sign it? We are talking about 34 million dollars after all :)

18 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

It would be a shady move but is there really a chance that the FO could franchise Cousins and trade him for draft picks?

Now there's an idea.

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Even if they arent greed mongers they made it abundantly clear that they were not making a decision before the start of the league year. The Skins couldnt take a chance on having no QB so they made a move. I get it.

Yep I agree. That stance would hurt his grievance case too.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That was back in 2015 I believe. So it really means nothing now. 

I'm well aware of that, but asking for two years guaranteed and asking for three, puts the decision the team was faced with at the time in a slightly different light.

It would be nice to know for sure, but yeah, we may never know.

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:
I heard yesterday on the Czaban show that Cooley thinks we 100% franchise tag Kirk but I cant find audio of Cooley actually saying that.

I do as well. History shows that's how we'd operate. 

Plus, we are clearly holding cap space to do it. There is no other explanation for Ryan Grant still not being re-signed :ols:

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I do as well. History shows that's how we'd operate. 

Plus, we are clearly holding cap space to do it. There is no other explanation for Ryan Grant still not being re-signed :ols:

If we franchise Cousins and tie up most of the cap money....does that mean Zack Brown walks?  Cool.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Alex Smith has literally zero to do with what I said or what I addressed, so I'll ignore that.

Keene's Vikes produced 2.5 points per game more than Cousins' Redskins did. While had the league's #7 rushing attack, vs #28 for Cousins. He had the league's #1 defense (which means a great deal in terms of field position) vs. Washington's #21. He had one of the game's best receiving corps vs a terrible one for us, and he had a better OLine (given injuries). 

So no, it's not closer than I think. Not even if I use only one year and ignore how ridiculous any comparison would look in the years before Keenum had perhaps the league's best supporting cast around him. And if I ignore how execrable he looked in the postseason.

I'm far from the biggest Cousins booster on the board, and I've always liked the potential Keenum had, as a backup at least. And with all that, it's still obvious to me that Cousins deserves to be considered the clearly better QB at this point.

Archived