Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

25 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

All players are mercenary.  They go where the money is and also take into consideration whether the new system fits them.  Kirk is no different than any other player that left their original team for another.  Only reason why you don’t see many quarterbacks bouncing around is because good ones are so rare that they almost never reach FA.  Redskins are fools for not understanding what they have and the market for the position....and for not signing Cousins after 2015.  They could have had him for $19 million a year for 5 years.  Now look where they are.....SMH.  It’s almost like the Redskins are run by the Three Stooges.

Well, 2 at any rate.

Image result for dan snyder bruce allen

14 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Hasn't done squat, other than come in at a few random times to blow games that our crew of Bruce fans  attribute to Kirk. 

Maybe that's why Bumbling Bruce kept him around all this time.

Whohooo!!!

Going 5-11 with Alex Smith instead.

Next season is going to be hilarious. 

But...but...but...we had a lot of injuries and nobody to run the ball... :rofl89:

Better then paying Kirk 30 mil to win 2 more games.... Dude we were 7-9 last year.  to imply that Hall had an impact on blowing games is a JOKE comapaired to the impact Kirk had.  I like Kirk but Im glad its over and at least Smith wants to be here.  I'll sig bet we win AT least 7 games next year.  With a healthy defense we could be pretty good. 

Just read an article from 2014 on Best NFL owners.  Guess who is number 32 of 32 owners?  Our favorite bozo...Dan Snyder.  Listed below Jimmy Haslam.  Look at the top ten owners.  Won most of the Super Bowls in last couple of decades.  I think bitterness is creeping in.  Comparing what we once were to what we now are with no hope for change in the future.  Very sad.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfls-best-owners-221600785--nfl.html

Just now, XtremeFan55 said:

Just read an article from 2014 on Best NFL owners.  Guess who is number 32 of 32 owners?  Our favorite bozo...Dan Snyder.  Listed bel;ow Jimmy Haslam.  Look at the top ten owners.  Won most of the Super Bowls in last couple of decades.  I think bitterness is creeping in.  Comparing what we once were to what we now are with now hope for change in the future.  Very sad.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfls-best-owners-221600785--nfl.html

Propaganda, my friend.  Guy did some stupid stuff many moons ago and is still paying the price for it through the media.  Poor dude.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Nobody really knows as I’ve heard both 3 & 5.

Either way though, it’s a really bad look unless you’re entirely convinced he’s fools gold.  Which at that point you tag and trade while you still have leverage. But ya know...

I've also heard he wanted fully gauranteed, so I lean towards three.

You gotta add Prime Time and T.O. to that list too. As much as I cant stand Prime Time Turf Toe that cat has got some rings to boot.

So Kirk to the Vikings ? sorry but he doesn't put them over the top. Case is a less expensive option and has the same upside with a year in the system, that would be dumb commensurate with the dumb we are accustomed with around here. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's a first for me, I heard minimal guarantees.

That's what I remember too...

It was the following offseason that Bruce said we offered him $58 mil guaranteed, which was the "most any qb contract had ever been guaranteed for"

3 years @ $19.5 mil per guaranteed would have put that one at $58.5... 

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That's what I remember too...

It was the following offseason that Bruce said we offered him $58 mil guaranteed, which was the "most any qb contract had ever been guaranteed for"

3 years @ $19.5 mil per guaranteed would have put that one at $58.5... 

Team president bruce allen blamed cousins for the lack of an agreement last July, saying he turned down $53 million in guaranteed money.

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Having Kirk in place will also make the transition smoother when Jay becomes Minnesota's new OC next year.

They have a better OC than Jay now.  

No, when Jay is fired he's going to be his Brother's OC in Las Vegas.  That's almost as certain as Death and Taxes. 

Bruce will probably join them at some point, and in about 6-7 years, they will all be fired. Mostly because of Bruce. And the Gruden's inability to get away from the doofus.

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's a first for me, I heard minimal guarantees.

Still looking for it Battered because I know I saw it. The only thing close I've found so far says " significant guarantees. "

According to a report from Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan, Cousins and his camp offered the Redskins a

three-year contract worth $19 million per season in February 2016, which was turned down by the front office. It was apparently turned down because of "significant guarantees."

9 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Team president bruce allen blamed cousins for the lack of an agreement last July, saying he turned down $53 million in guaranteed money.

yes thats right, he turned it down because it's what he was going to make under the tag anyways....

but still don't remember a fully guaranteed deal @ $19.5 mil. 

3 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I often wonder how people end up as diehard fans of a team.  In the early years it was because of local news channels and newspapers  mainly reporting on the local teams.  You get a steady diet of stories about local players that leads to this intimate connection that feeds the closeness.   But once cable TV then the internet took off, people were able to follow other teams just as well.  The George Allen and Joe Gibbs Eras got me hooked when I would either get high or depressed for a week based on the outcome of games.  Last 20 years has eroded my enthusiasm to the point that I rarely watch a full game and have half-heartedly started tuning in to the Red Zone.  I am officially done with the Redskins and only here until the outcome of Cousin’s fate and to vent frustration on Snyder and Allen for ruining the team.  Starting April I will evolve into a modern fan who follows teams or players from another area without hometown loyalty.  I already have developed a liking for the 49ers who seem to be on the rise and will follow Cousins to whichever team he ends up at because I want to see him succeed.  For those who consider this traitorist to abandon the team...you need to look around and see the evolution of sports.  I work and live near Redskin Park and encounter more Steeler fans in this area than Redskins fans and the second most are Dallas fans.  Sadly times are changing.  It is up to teams to be acutely connected to their fans in order to keep them because the days of blind geographical loyalty is over.

Your account maps to mine experience, I'm worn out and think it will be fun to follow Kirk if he goes with a good team.

15 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Hasn't done squat, other than come in at a few random times to blow games that our crew of Bruce fans  attribute to Kirk. 

Maybe that's why Bumbling Bruce kept him around all this time.

He played really well in that Seattle game coming off of PUP, and then disappeared back into the irrelevant world.  

He does fit the mold of what our coaches like: try-hard, physically limited veteran who knows what to do, but probably can't do it anymore.  They LOVE these type of guys.  

15 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

But...but...but...we had a lot of injuries and nobody to run the ball... :rofl89:

This is my biggest pet peave at the moment, all the excuses for a group that hasn't managed to get 1 game over .500 since it's been in place.  Bruce is a complete idiot, but Jay and the coaches shoulder some blame. 

This year's excuse is going to be the tough schedule.  They play the NFC South (which had 3 playoff teams), AFC South (shouldn't be too bad, but have 2 playoff teams, Green Bay and Arizona.  

Nevermind that the entire NFC East will have to play all of those teams except for GB and 'Zona, but the "hard schedule" is going to be the reason we finish 8-8.  

(pst - the only reason the schedule is hard is because the team is, at best, average)

Lay on a few inevitable injuries, and it's going to be the same damn song-and-dance all over again.  7-9 to 8-8, and "let's try this one more time"  

Groan.  

6 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

My disdain for Kirk is not outdone but my disdain for Bruce Allen, don't confuse the two. 

I don't have any disdain for Kirk.  If I was his agent, I would have advised him to do the same thing.  Get the hell out of dodge as long as Bruce Allen is running the show. He's translated a "good starting QB" talent level to possibly the highest contract in NFL History.  Good on him.  

I'm not going to root for him or anything (I wrote a post about that earlier).  But I have no ill-will towards him.  He did what was in his best interest, and I am totally fine with that.  

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

For one, he SHOULD do that as the man's agent. Secondly, I think almost any team who really wants/needs a QB would favor Cousins by a wide margin over every one of those guys. The one exception might be Teddy...

Keenum, Teddy and Kirk are all about the same, each has some things they do better than the others, and things they do worse than the others.  And Bridgewater is coming off of a bad injury.  

I do wonder, though, if the sheer number of QB  options available, which is remarkably unusual, will drive down price.  There are 3 legitimate starting QBs in the draft, and 4 legitimate starting QBs available in FA.  With Bortles staying put in Jax, that leaves Minny, Arizona, Denver, NYJ and Cleveland as the teams who really need QBs.  Maybe Buffalo? That's before the second tier FAs come into play.  

I said all along, and I could still be wrong, Kirk needs to be careful what he wishes for.  The number of suitors might be less than he thinks, and he might not want to go to the places who want him. 

If the Minny rumors are true, then he will find himself in an ideal situation, however.  

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

Florio was reporting today that the market for cousins 'may have cooled'.  I'm not sure I buy what he says here but:

Florio is an idiot.  That statement has no relationship to your post.  Just saying. 

2 hours ago, carex said:

I am wondering if Cousins might have essentially priced himself out of some teams markets.  That the GM in some team's meeting room is talking tot he owner and coach and saying "We'd like to get Kirk Cousins sure, but there's no way we can afford him.  We need to go for McCarron, or Keenum"

If the teams are smart, and they're interested, they'll at least put a call in to see.  Why take a guy off the board until you've talked to him? No reason to do that.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by talk radio, TV, twitter today -- it all seems to be screaming Vikings for Kirk. 

Which probably means he'll end up in San Diego.  :rofl89: (As an example, just exactly the opposite of what makes sense)

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If I had to take a wild guess, it might be because Cousins is better.

By a little, yeah. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

If they dump all 3 QB's and bring in Cousins, I wonder how the locker room will feel about it.  

Probably fine with it.  Kirk is a legitimate starting QB.  Now, when he throws a pick in game 1 in the red zone and they lose 9-7 to the Packers, they might not like that so much.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

he has never had the amount of success Keenum had last season and never reached as far in the playoffs

Minnesota might have had the most talented roster in the NFL last year.  And the 'Skins don't.  The comparison of results needs to end there. 

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Kirk may want Minnesota because it's close to home (Michigan), and that may be reason enough.

That could be a big part of it.  Though I've never understood the desire, if you grow up in a cold, damp, grey area to return to said area when you could go virtually anywhere else.  

1 hour ago, XtremeFan55 said:

How about today’s story that Wentz may have to wear a knee brace for the rest of career?  He won’t be as mobile as in the past.  Makes me appreciate Cousins even more since he played every game the past three years with no injuries.  That has got to count for something

Yep. There is no denying Cousins durability for sure. Unfortunate that he didnt want to be here. At least we have a good replacement ready to go.

There are 2 different stories on what Kirk wanted after the 2015 season.

Grand Paulsen says Kirk was seeking 3yr/19.5 per almost fully guaranteed.

Kevin Sheehan says Kirk was seeking 5yr/ 19.5 per with $44M guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Bruce?

Otherwise not sure how you know for sure what it was.

every story I'd seen before said three years.  Hell, I've even flat out talked about how this last year of potential francishising would have also been the last year of the contract he wanted and no one's ever said any different

Archived