Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Definition of a Loser Franchise

Rufus T Firefly

Alex Smith is a good QB. I've defended him here before. I'm not here to bash him. I'm also not the biggest Kirk "booster". I refer to myself as Kirknostic. He's very good, not great. Not elite. I could handle losing him in the right circumstances without freaking out. But what we just did was trade significant value to get older and a little worse at the most important position in the game and save ourselves maybe 4-5 mil per year. It's a loser move by a loser GM who's employed by a loser owner to run his loser franchise.

I'm talking about a loser mentality. The loser mentality in sports is any team that isn't trying to win titles. They try to sell tickets and stay 'relevant'. They are happy to compete and not contend. The Browns may be a losing franchise, but the Bengals are the team with the real loser attitude. 14 years without a playoff win? Fine. Keep us chugging towards 9-7 every year and you can keep coming back, Coach Lewis. Just  good enough to sell out our games. That's all we care about. That is a loser mentality.

And no one franchise has had it more than the Redskins under Dan Snyder. From Jeff George to Donovan McNabb to Alex Smith, it's always about making headlines and conning the fans into coming back for more. There has never been a plan to contend under Snyder. They have never turned the team over to a real football man and let him execute a strategy for title contention. They've never built. It's just winning news cycles and  trying to bring in one more player for the now. Forget long term. Backload contracts, trade draft picks, just make it look like we're going somewhere. It's been perpetual motion without progress. 

Employing Bruce Allen, of course, epitomizes a loser mentality. He's running the franchise with the only goal of holding onto his own job for as long as possible. There's not a thought to what is in the best interest of this franchise. The Cousins situation is the proof of that. Last offseason, even the 31st best GM in the league would know Cousins had to be dealt with one way or another. Trade him, sign him, it just needed to be done, badly. That's what would have served the team's interests. But it didn't really serve Bruce Allen's. He engineered the whole thing around his own PR. Wouldn't listen to trade offers, because he wanted it to look like he was all-in on Kirk. Told Kirk to wait around for another contract offer so he could pretend they were negotiating and waiting on Kirk to counter-offer. Pretended the Franchise tag amount that Kirk had already signed and been guaranteed was something he was "offering" so he could pretend the contract offer was record-setting when it was really just a transition tag and three years of unguaranteed Osweiler money. And then going public with the whole affair, not worrying about what it would do to the team's relationship with their QB or to team chemistry, just concerned with making himself look better. When all he had really done was avoid making any kind of real decision that he could be held accountable for.

And now this trade. Even a jackassical troglodyte like Bruce Allen realized the best thing for the team would be to tag and trade Cousins and get some value. But that would have meant taking heat for letting him go. So instead he goes and gets a new QB, so the headlines are largely about that. If it cost us too much to get Smith and we sacrificed the potential trade return for Kirk, so be it. As long as it was done to benefit Bruce's PR.

Now, be prepared for lots of talk about Smith's late career renaissance, his postseason numbers, what we can buy with the few mil we saved switching to him. There will even be some nonsense about him being a better fit for Gruden's offense. And, meanwhile , there will be all kinds of talk about how Cousins didn't want to be here, how greedy he was. Maybe even worse whispers. Because we have to make Bruce look better.

Meanwhile, when the details of Smith's contract come out, expect the high guarantees to be designed to lower his cap hits in the first couple of years so we can sign a couple of extra FAs (forget any comp pick for losing Cousins). All the better to try to squeeze out an extra win and compete, but not quite contend. Then, Smith's cap numbers will go up as he ages, not to mention Williams, Kerrigan, Norman and the prematurely aged Jordan Reed. But the team will continue to patch, backload contracts, make the next stopgap move. Just enough to keep the fans hooked.

Me, I'm outright rooting for losses. The only hope remains a complete failure, a change of regime and a hope that Snyder eventually hits on the right person to lead us forward. I hope we're 4-12 next year. 2-14 would be better. It should hurt Snyder's bottom line, embarrass him. I don't care if people want to say I'm not a real fan or whatever nonsense they care to. It's better than enabling this mess by buying in again and again. And being suckered-

By a loser franchise. 

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't fathom how anyone could honestly think that acquiring Smith, and then extending him, is somehow going to placate the fans going into this offseason.

Keep reading the board. We've been here before.

"You want to trade for Donovan McNabb? Are you stupid?!? He sucks!"

"We just traded for Donovan McNabb! YESSS!!!!"

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Keep reading the board. We've been here before.

"You want to trade for Donovan McNabb? Are you stupid?!? He sucks!"

"We just traded for Donovan McNabb! YESSS!!!!"

Well yeah, that's why I don't see how anyone could be fooled by these clowns at this point especially after the McNabb trade.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Well yeah, that's why I don't see how anyone could be fooled by these clowns at this point especially after the McNabb trade.

People don't want to believe the team they root for is a hopeless mess. It's hard to be mad at them for that.

Also, the media contributes. Football pundits are largely ex coaches and players. Their careers depended on winging every game possible. It's the only mind set they know. So they just see Alex Smith as a good vet QB. They see 9-7 as a big success. They don't think long-term or how to build a title team.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

People don't want to believe the team they root for is a hopeless mess.

If anyone has been a Skins fan for longer than 3 years, I don't understand how they wouldn't know that this team has always been a hopeless mess under Snyder.

You forgot to mention we traded a third round pick and our best young defensive player when you noted that we downgraded at QB to save a couple of million a year after our moron team president horribly botched the contract negotiations with our QB.

The team owned by the most famous spendthrift in the NFL got cheap with a homegrown franchise QB and this was the cost.

Anyone who still believes in this disgrace of a franchise is a ****ing sap.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

People don't want to believe the team they root for is a hopeless mess.

Should be mad at that. This team has been a hopeless mess for the past two decades. 

It finally drafted a QB, watched him develop into a quality starter and completely ****ing botched the situation.

The same owner who had no problem making Albert Haynesworth the highest paid player in the league went cheap on a homegrown QB.

****show is too kind of a word for this team. 

Great o/p, i cant pretend to understand an NFL franchise as well as you guys even tho i have loved the skins since 83 but i do recognize incompetence when i see it, The one thing i could always look forward to over the past couple of decades, after yet another disappointing season. was reading about the next draft with the hope ( like every other skins fan ) that this time it would be different and we would start to build a championship team. this F/O has even taken that enjoyment away from me as all i am doing right now is shaking my head in disbelief

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You forgot to mention we traded a third round pick and our best young defensive player when you noted that we downgraded at QB to save a couple of million a year after our moron team president horribly botched the contract negotiations with our QB.

That's what I meant when I said we sacrificed significant value so we could get older and worse at QB. I'll edit it to make it more clear though.

7 minutes ago, onedrop said:

somewhere, mike shanahan is laughing his orange ass off.

Sadly not only him but the all NFL. Do we have leeway or did we just beat the Browns as the number one laughing stock ?

3 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Anyone on here wanna take one for the team and accuse Bruce and Dan of sexual harassment?

I'd do it but I'm too old, fat, and ugly

Or pulling a Sterling maybe ?

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Me, I'm outright rooting for losses. The only hope remains a complete failure, a change of regime and a hope that Snyder eventually hits on the right person to lead us forward. I hope we're 4-12 next year. 2-14 would be better. It should hurt Snyder's bottom line, embarrass him. I don't care if people want to say I'm not a real fan or whatever nonsense they care to. It's better than enabling this mess by buying in again and again. And being suckered-

By a loser franchise. 

Bottom line? Dan is guaranteed money.  Going back to double digit losses, may cut into some of his local money but Dan will always still make money with the team.  The NFL is set up that way.   The Skins would have to be what the Browns have been for multiple seasons. Reach the point where the stadium is mostly empty.

The ultimate embarrassment and what could fracture part of the fanbase from Snyder forever is this:  

During the time frame Alex Smith ends up being with us, this happens:

At best the Skins do no better than we have been the last 3 years or the Skins returns to double digit losing. During that same time span; Kirk wins a Superbowl his new team.  That will too much for some.  A QB we drafted and groomed, goes on to win it all somewhere else and the Skins remain the same or get worse.

If Skins under Alex do the same as Cousins does with his new team, then it's a wash.  If Cousin flops and we do better, then we win. If it's the scenario, I stated above; then that will hurt Dan Snyder.  I think the younger fanbase will leave for good and if Dan loses the younger fanbase; then that's when it will really hurt his bottom line.  Dan won't be poor; he'll still get that shared NFL money but he won't make any more money than that.

Archived