Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets keep laughing at the Browns, while we can

zoony

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

But it won't be because of the process. They're doing it right with regards to their respective FOs

Yup.  I wish I was a Browns fan right now.  Actually, I might adopt them as my second team.  I am seriously in love with what they are doing right now.

Watch them trade one of their firsts for 3 first round picks... all it takes is one dumbass like bruce allen :ols:

I genuinely wonder why we dont read more about cousins to the browns.  They could sign an entire starting pro bowl offense next year

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not a chance I am envious of the Browns today.  Having high picks and cap space does not always mean they will pick the right players.  And they have so far to go even if they hit on all these picks, which simply will not happen, it won't be nearly enough.

I agree they have to hit on some of those picks, but on paper, they're not that far from respectability.  Their QB play alone probably cost them 4-6 wins outright.  Kizer was the worst starting QB in close to a decade.  Probably since Jimmy Clausen was in Carolina.

Quiet as it's kept, they had a solid defense, respectable RBs, and Josh Gordon back, that if they got an NFL QB in there, Joe Thomas back, and a couple good starters out of the draft they could be within shouting distance of .500 next year.

They have a better defense, better RBs, a #1 WR, better special teams, the difference between us and them is basically the Grand Canyon difference in QB play.  So give me their squad right now, cap space and a boatload of high draft picks.  Yeah, they're in a nice position. Whereas we're set up to have no QB with no top pick to get one, the minimum number of picks, a bunch of key free agents.  Our upside isnt as great.

We can sit here, poke fun at them.  But at least they have a plan.  At least they have a strategy.  At least they're thinking in the right direction.

Once they hit on a few picks, they'll be great.  Myles Garrett was hurt this year but was great when he was on the field.

They'll figure it out.

As for us?  Our plans and strategy revolve around wondering if we should slap the franchise tag on Cousins again.  Which would, IIRC, give him more money in three years of franchise tagging than 4 or 5 years of a guaranteed contract.

How's that working out for us?

C’mon man! Y’all are drowning in Redskins depression! **** the Browns and **** all of their draft picks that have done wonders for them over the years. Meanwhile, the Redskins have been a game or two from being a consistent playoff team but our fans act like we have endured the 1-31 W/L record of the Browns. The Browns were supposed to have this bright future 3 seasons ago..what happened then?

2 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

C’mon man! Y’all are drowning in Redskins depression! **** the Browns and **** all of their draft picks that have done wonders for them over the years. Meanwhile, the Redskins have been a game or two from being a consistent playoff team but our fans act like we have endured the 1-31 W/L record of the Browns. The Browns were supposed to have this bright future 3 seasons ago..what happened then?

K, so you wouldn't want the 1st and 4th overall pick and 3 more picks in the 2nd round this year?  

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

The 2018 season will be his 20TH season as owner and he'd have to win 39 games in order to get to .500 as an owner which would require over 2 16-0 seasons.

2001-2018=18 + 1999*-2000 = 20

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/SnydDa0.htm

Bruce Allen requires 30 wins to get to .500 himself with many fewer years running a team. Meaning that he's WORSE.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/AlleBr0.htm

By comparison, the one owner we love to clown on the most, Jerry Jones, is 40 games ABOVE .500

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/JoneJe0.htm

And for historical reference Georgia Frontiere, who was known as one of the worst owners of the 80s and 90s, was only 14 games under .500 as owner and eventually got a SB win and 2 SB losses. Snyder can't get a playoff win without dragging a HOF coach out of retirement and that only got him 1.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/FronGe0.htm

*And he gets credit for a 10-6 season that he didn't have the opportunity of ****ing up.

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

K, so you wouldn't want the 1st and 4th overall pick and 3 more picks in the 2nd round this year?  

Well yeah that would be nice but look at how much they have sucked to get those draft picks. Would you want to endure a 0-16 season? Our fans don't even like the thought of 8-8 or 9-7. How miserable would our media and fans be if the team won zero games? Sorry but at this point I am not envious of the Browns at all. If I see them trot out a team that can beat the Steelers and Ravens then maybe that will change. 

5 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

Well yeah that would be nice but look at how much they have sucked to get those draft picks. Would you want to endure a 0-16 season? Our fans don't even like the thought of 8-8 or 9-7. How miserable would our media and fans be if the team won zero games? Sorry but at this point I am not envious of the Browns at all. If I see them trot out a team that can beat the Steelers and Ravens then maybe that will change. 

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind.  At least they're not masquerading and making people think that they have a chance. 

I wouldn't be concerned about them beating the Steelers and Ravens when we can't beat Philly or Dallas and are 1-5 in our division.  Not much of a difference.

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind.  At least they're not masquerading and making people think that they have a chance. 

I wouldn't be concerned about them beating the Steelers and Ravens when we can't beat Philly or Dallas and are 1-5 in our division.  Not much of a difference.

I'm not concerned with the Browns at all. We beat Philly 5 times in a row before they swept us this season. The NFCE opponent that is a concern is Dallas. They need to find a way to beat them. Going 1—31 and having other bloopers like your starting QB doing lines of coke on social media is not the way I hope this team finds success either. 

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Watching the Browns right now, along with how the Giants have already approached their hirings, has me outrageously jealous. 

Will it work out for either of them? Who knows. 

But it won't be because of the process. They're doing it right with regards to their respective FOs. And that's where @zoony is absolutely spot on. It just boggles my mind how something seemingly so simple, so obvious, is just damn near impossible to do for Dan. 18 years into his tenure as Owner. 18 friggin years. 

snyder would rather make more effort in the appearance of doing things a different way than truly trying a new approach. as you said, it been 18 years. our misery was born into the world, potty trained, seen the first day of kindergarten, made it through elementary and middle schools, had a few dates, gotten a drivers license, graduated high school and is about to be off to college.  

dan snyder is either totally incompetent, obtuse, or he simply doesn't care. after all this time what else could it be? one can't expect different results when they continually exhibit the same behavior, no matter how much effort put into masking it. at least the browns are taking action and committing to a plan.  i for one hope it works out for them. those fans have been through it.

I agree, I would rather be a Browns fan right now.  The Cousins discussion already has me looking at Saints and Packers gear.

We are such a miserable ****ing franchise.  A coach that will never win a Super Bowl.  A QB that will never win a Super Bowl.  A GM that will never win a Super Bowl.  And a former amusement park owner pulling the strings.  

Just ****ing miserable.

When the Redskins won the Super Bowl in 1982, it was their first championship in 40 years.  My grandfather, who had season tickets since the mid-50s was understandably overjoyed by the Gibbs era but was always quick to remind us of how long and deeply the fan base had suffered during the lean years.  You could make the case that we were the absolute worst franchise in all of professional sports in the 50s and 60s.  And yet he was there nearly every Sunday for all of it.  

He passed away a couple years ago at age 95.  He would have found most of the sentiments expressed  in this thread to be beneath his contempt and unworthy of response.

I’m a somewhat softer touch obviously. :)

5 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

But it won't be because of the process. They're doing it right with regards to their respective FOs. And that's where @zoony is absolutely spot on. It just boggles my mind how something seemingly so simple, so obvious, is just damn near impossible to do for Dan. 18 years into his tenure as Owner. 18 friggin years. 

I believe this is called Egomania, a plague which is also common amongst politicians. It is so dangerous that it has the power to shut down brain/intelligence when there is one.

9 hours ago, zoony said:

The Browns have had the courage to defer a total rebuild to one draft.  Something several of us have been begging for for years and years on this forum.  (Instead of a first round pick in 2009, 2010, 2011.... go for 3 first round picks in 2012 and an additional 3 2nd round picks that you got in a trade., e.g.)

1.  The Browns have 12 picks in this years draft.  5 in the first 2 rounds.  1 and 4, overall

2.  The Browns hired a non football guy to run their operations.  In this case, Paul DePodesta who you all know from Jonah Hills character in Moneyball

3.  The Browns invested in the best GM they could find in John Dorsey, who in turn is investing in more front office talent, poaching Alonzo Highsmith from the Packers

4.  Projected $118 million in cap space

The Browns have the best upcoming draft position in the history of the league, the most talented front office in the league, and a non football ivy league economist running the show and looking for value in systems that by and large are being built by aging ex jocks and assorted dumbos.  He wont have a hard time, especially with $118 million in cap space

What a time to be a Browns fan.  I would take 1-31 in a second to be where they are.  After all, they have as much to show for it as we do.

This is what the Redskins have needed since 2006.  Two straight years of SUCK with a front office smart enough to leverage that suckage into future value.  Instead, we are on the perpetual 7-9 merry go round, always with limited cap space, always putting another band aid on the terminal patient.

You forgot to mention Josh Gordon...what a beast...I’d trade all our tight ends and receivers for him..of course that would be a poor trade for the browns.

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We can sit here, poke fun at them.  But at least they have a plan.  At least they have a strategy.  At least they're thinking in the right direction.

Once they hit on a few picks, they'll be great.  Myles Garrett was hurt this year but was great when he was on the field.

They'll figure it out.

As for us?  Our plans and strategy revolve around wondering if we should slap the franchise tag on Cousins again.  Which would, IIRC, give him more money in three years of franchise tagging than 4 or 5 years of a guaranteed contract.

How's that working out for us?

Don't get me wrong, I have always rooted for the Browns because their fans deserve better,  So I hope you are right.  But I don't see how you can claim they'll figure it out let alone predict they'll be "great".  They hire the wrong people, then when they fail they start over with new people constantly.  As mentioned they always have high picks and cap room  And they never seem to "figure it out".  

11 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Watching the Browns right now, along with how the Giants have already approached their hirings, has me outrageously jealous. 

Will it work out for either of them? Who knows. 

The Browns appear to be set up well moving forward, but they are the Browns, play in the AFC and I don't give them much thought other than the once every four years we play them. The Giants do worry me, however. I live in New York and there is a rumor- and I stress a rumor- on local sports radio here that there is a serious rift between Kraft and Belichick over the Garrapolo thing. In short, Belichick wanted to keep Garrapolo and Kraft wanted to get rid of him while they could. Anyway, the rumor says that Belichick is pissed and could be gone. They then say Belichick would be in huge play to be the next Giants coach. Again, a rumor, but it did get my attention. 

But the Browns will NEVER  have a HarvestFest OR a Tampa connection, so the joke's on them! :744:

I've always leaned heavily on the idea of a good coach makes good players, and even at 0-16 they're actually not THAT far behind the Redskins. If they get a good HC and GM, that's the edge pieces of a puzzle, and from there its just building a few areas to enable the big picture to take shape. They're a scrappy team as it is, but adding even just a couple of good players would put them in the 4-12 area at minimum.

The Redskins problems start and end with Bruce Allen and his golf buddies he's hired onto the team; I'm not concerned with Snyder, because a good hard-nosed GM will tell Snyder to just sit down and enjoy the show, i'll handle this alone.  Until Allen is removed from the premises of Redskins Park, the team will continue to go nowhere, and we will sit back, again, and wonder why we didn't get 'that guy' on the team or 'that guy' to coach the players, or 'that guy' to run the organization when the opportunities were there.

Right now Allen is fighting hard to be the top asshole in my All-Time **** List, but I will admit Jim Haslett won't be able to hold that top position much longer...

Actually, I made a vow about 10 years ago to stop making fun of the Browns or Lions.  We've been no better than them with the exception of a few more wins.  All three franchises have been a laughingstock, embarrassment and sucky.  Considering what we have done (or haven't done) the last 25 years, we have no room to talk.

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

You forgot to mention Josh Gordon...what a beast...I’d trade all our tight ends and receivers for him..of course that would be a poor trade for the browns.

Why is everyone so infatuated with this pothead?  Is he talented?  Sure.  But the problem is, he loves weed more than football.  I wouldn't give up Bruce's ham sandwich for him.  Sorry, but we've had enough assholes in this organization.  We don't need to add the "King" to the roster.  Puff, puff, pass, dude!

Archived