Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7-9. So why does it feel like 3-13?

Spaceman Spiff

Maybe it was because from a playoff perspective the season ended mid November.  Maybe it was because we went 1 and 5 within the division.  Maybe it was because we beat one, count it one team that actually made the playoffs (Rams).  Maybe it was because we just got beat by one of the worst teams in the NFL and it was not a fluke or a bad break, we got manhandled.  Maybe it was because we did not recognize the players on the field because they were all on IR.  

Today was the first time I didn't watch a single play in the Redskins game even though I was in front of my TV all day watching other games. 

Frankly I don't like the direction this team is headed. I think Gruden is an average coach, he says all the right things at the presser and seems like a good guy but I am skeptical of his in game managing. Our front office is incompetent and fails to bring in the right players. And frankly we lack the talent to compete. It will take another few years and good drafts to be in the mix.

As far as the QB situation goes I have resigned from caring. I am of the opinion that a good QB only gets you so far. We need offensive weapons - we have none. Don't invest the entire bank on Kirk, we will be stuck in purgatory forever. Shore up the defensive line, get a few playmakers on both sides of the ball, use a high draft pick on a RB, then take it from there.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Speaking of which, lets look at the non-divisional opponents for 2018 again:

Home: ATL, CAR, GB, HOU, IND

Away: NO, TB, JAX, TEN, AZ

Five of those teams are playing next weekend, with GB also a playoff-caliber team with a healthy Rodgers.  In contrast, only three of the non-divisional opponents on the supposed hellacious schedule this year had made the postseason in 2016.  Bottom line, it isn't going to get any easier. And I can't see doing any better than 2-4 within the division next season. 

The only thing to note about the schedule is the entire NFC east plays the NFC South (Saints, Falcons, Panthers and Bucs), 3 of which made the playoffs.  We also play the AFC South (Jax, Tenn, Houston and Indy) We’ll see how they turn out, 

the only 2 games that vary are the GB and Arizona games. Philly has to play Minny and the Rams, both first place teams.  It’s very possible those 2 teams will play in the NFC Championship game.  

Dallas gets Seattle and Detroit.  Here’s wher Rodgers injury hurt us, as GB is probably the better team if he’s healthy.  

The Giants get the 49ers, who might be much improved, and the Bears. 

I dont think its it’s a stretch to say 10 wins probably wins the NFC East next year. 

If we don’t upgrade our skill positions on offense significantly, we will NOT have the firepower to beat teams that can score points.  It’s possibl we will face 6 teams with top 10 offenses, and 2 of them in division.

Philly 

GB

Nola

Atlanta

Carolina

Dallas (with Zeke)

the road ahead is hard.  But it’s going to be hard for the entire division.  To avoid being the doormat, we need big improvement.

Well, Gruden was given the 'all clear' announcement, so he will be back next year.

BUT, 2018 is a horse of a different color. The last 2 seasons have been slowly getting worse, and if next year doesn't get better, you can kiss Gruden goodbye, extension or no extension.

This season  [ to me ] felt like 6-10. Everyone getting hurt, Gruden calling plays again, 75% of their offensive weapons went to other teams, and once the Eagles got off to a good start through week 7, there was no realistic chance of them doing anything, even though on paper they were 'still alive'.

just waiting for Bruce Allen to be accused of inappropriate conduct at HarvestFest and get canned.  Then i'll feel better.

Why does this feel like a 3-13 team? Because they played like one. 

They just played the second worst team in the league. They put up 10 points and went 1-13 on third down against the 29th ranked defense. They allowed one of the worst running teams in the NFL to run for 260 ****ing yards, which is like 70 more than they rushed for against anybody all year. They got absolutely embarrassed by a 2-13 squad who just fired its GM and coach, whose injury depleted roster rivals our own. 

This is the kind of **** this team rolls out there today? To play like none of them gave a ****? A comprehensive, top to bottom embarrassment, courtesy of an awful team with nothing to play for? There were unprepared, unmotivated, and flat out unwatchable.

Performances like this make me regret being a fan of this team. This is absolutely unacceptable. 

22 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

They just played the second worst team in the league. They put up 10 points and went 1-13 on third down against the 29th ranked defense. They allowed one of the worst running teams in the NFL to run for 260 ****ing yards, which is like 70 more than they rushed for against anybody all year.

So, the difference was one play

The reason for feeling like a 3-13 team is for me and my opinion, There is no direction going forward from the Front office and nothing in our past (last several years) pointing this team to anything better then being right around a .500 team give or take a game or 2 either way.  Plans seem to be made on the fly and no thought going into them like the really good teams year in and year out.  This franchise was 1 of those teams, plans were followed through and stuck with, this team and franchise has imho become nothing more then a fanasty football team looking to improve on the 1 addition player instead of building it up through the draft and sticking with it year in and year out. 

Its because a 3-13 team improving to 7-9, with a bright looking coach and GM looks very different than a team regressing to 7-9, saying "This is fine" while refusing to make any changes.  Its because the REASON we were 7-9 wasnt because we gave it our all, and made the most of our situation, its because we literally gave away games with some amazing choke jobs, and once again a Jay Gruden team finished the year with a pathetic whimper.  Nothing that was bad last year has been fixed.  Nothing that was good last year improved.  But a number of things regressed.

And outside of some fantastic games from Cousins(who I dont think is good enough to win by himself very often) we actually WOULD be 3-13 or 4-12.  Take note, this team without a good QB is a 3-13 to 4-12 team.  52 of the 53 roster spots are a 3-13 team and thats scary.  We have no running game, we have injured TEs, and underperforming receivers.  We still have a poor defense.  We have a poor special teams unit that also constantly fumbles. The only strength on this team is the passing game, and its mostly just one player who most likely wont be here next season

For me, it has EVERYTHING to do with the front office.  There are just so many question marks.  Will they keep Kirk Cousins or are the Redskins committed to insanity and blowing up the team only to try to rebuild it again.  Only this time, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder along with their fallguy/scapegoat Doug Williams is along for the ride.  Retaining the coach is the ONLY step in the right direction and I know I'll get criticized for saying that but I want stability.  The only way to achieve that is not blowing up the team is starting over.  I don't even understand the thought process to do that after three straight decent seasons.  This year was a success in my opinion because the coaching staff was able to piece together enough players even single week to be competitive.  The Redskins were not blown out by teams they had no business competing with like the Seahawks in Seattle.  KC is a playoff team and one drop pass separates the outcome.  The Vikings are a very good team and the Redskins were right there with them.  The defense blew the game against another playoff team, the Saints.  To me, there are so many positives despite the outcome sucking that I can't really get mad at them.  If this team were healthy and choked this much I'd be pretty annoyed.  Back to Bruce Allen.  I don't have a good feeling about the direction of this team.  It's like a ship in a hurricane lost at sea without a radio to let us know what the hell is going on.  The Larry radio personality show is a joke and total propaganda.  Just for a minute, think back to "in Scot we trust".  Everyone on this board for the most part had such a good feeling.  You just knew the Redskins were going to come back the next year with a good draft and free agent selections.  Instead we got Pryor and Quick to replace Garcon and Jackson.  How did that work out for Kirk?  The offensive line was decimated by injuries and the running backs were AWFUL.  Sorry, but I was never sold on Fat Rob.  I think he's way below average.  The defense STILL lacks a NT.  How long are the Redskins going to play this defense without a NT?  It's mind blowing.  That's all planning or poor planning from the front office.  
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! This team is so frustrating.  I hope they retain Kirk and build for the future but I just don't think that they know what the hell they are doing.

4 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

They just played the second worst team in the league. They put up 10 points and went 1-13 on third down against the 29th ranked defense. They allowed one of the worst running teams in the NFL to run for 260 ****ing yards, which is like 70 more than they rushed for against anybody all year. They got absolutely embarrassed by a 2-13 squad who just fired its GM and coach, whose injury depleted roster rivals our own. 

This is the kind of **** this team rolls out there today? To play like none of them gave a ****? A comprehensive, top to bottom embarrassment, courtesy of an awful team with nothing to play for? There were unprepared, unmotivated, and flat out unwatchable.

Performances like this make me regret being a fan of this team. This is absolutely unacceptable. 

Very well said.  Some on this board will say you are putting to much emphasis on one game.  The problem though is that what we saw yesterday is a pattern for this team and has been.  If they had finished the season at 8 and 8, there would have been a lot of optimism (considering all the injuries)  for next year, tempered by the uncertainty about Kirk.  But instead they reverted to their patented inconsistent performance and just further bludgeoned the optimism of their fans.  Did the same thing last year with the same team.

1 minute ago, glongest said:

Very well said.  Some on this board will say you are putting to much emphasis on one game.  The problem though is that what we saw yesterday is a pattern for this team and has been.  If they had finished the season at 8 and 8, there would have been a lot of optimism (considering all the injuries)  for next year, tempered by the uncertainty about Kirk.  But instead they reverted to their patented inconsistent performance and just further bludgeoned the optimism of their fans.  Did the same thing last year with the same team.

I will say this - the Giants were fired up after their coach was released.  Spagnola had this team 2-13 playing with a top 5 defense.  A lot of good quarterbacks this year struggled against the Giants.  For some reason, their offense was awful (probably injuries, just like the skins).  I'm not excusing the loss because it was bad but I do understand it.  Kirk had a bad game and was forcing the ball too much.  I think that happens when the offense is stagnant and has no rhythm.  That's all on Gruden for the play calling and the front office for letting McVey go.  I guess they didn't have much of a choice because it was a promotion but maybe the team needs to look into Jay's play calling and get him some help on offense.

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, another season in the books.  

It's an average team.  I lump 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 as pretty much the same thing.  If .500 is the definition of average a one game swing either way isn't too much of a difference.  Doctson hauls in a catch against KC and this team is 8-8.  Win the Saints game in OT,  they'd be 9-7.  But it doesn't feel average.  It feels terrible.  Look at some of the responses around here (not criticizing anyone for their responses, I've been pretty harsh today, too) and people are pissed.  Rightfully so.  

So why does it feel like we went 3-13?  Why does it feel like there's NO REASON to be excited about the future?  Is it because Bruce is the GM?  Is it because we only won one game against our division, a game where Eli had one of the worst games of his career and the Giants basically sucked more than us?  Is it because Kirk's probably gonna go, leaving a big question mark at the QB position?  Is it because the games we did win this year, we won ugly?  

There are some good pieces on this team, it's not like they're completely devoid of talent.  Yet it just seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

I disagree about feeling like we went 3-13  to me, it feels like exactly what we did. 7-9, middle of the draft and that makes me feel worse then going 3-13. When we lost to Dallas my thought was why win another game. Sure we had a mathematical chance but the reality is/was we were not a playoff team. 

18 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Because it feels like we're not gonna sign Kirk, we're not gonna sign Brown, and Norman will be traded. Bash will leave through FA as well and we'll look like crap again...

you mean continue to look like crap dont you?

It feels that way because because the Redskins future is uncertain and when those times happen to this franchise usually the worst happens. Sometimes even worse than expected. Also, seeing multiple players go down in injury every week and reducing the team to a preseason team took away a lot of fun out of the season. Basically it is mental. If the team re-signs Kirk and has a decent draft and FA period all will be normal again.

2 hours ago, shakinaiken said:

Just the effects of recency bias. If the Redskins came out and smoked the Giants 30-3, i Imagine there would be numerous threads citing optimism for 2018. But we played and looked so ****ing awful. 2018 doesn't inspire confidence. 

This and some! The slow start during pre-season, the beginning of regular season and the last game just seem like the only consistency we get. Sadly with this regime, personally it's what you expect...

this felt like a 6-10 team.  At the beginning of the season, I thought this team was good for 6 wins (and I couldnt guess where those would come from).  we pretty much ended up at that and were eliminated with four more games on the schedule.

sad. 

but that's what we deserve each year by being Redskins fans.

We are an average team.  Gruden's record the last 3 years: 9,8,7. I less win each year. This year, injuries devastate the team but even if healthy; would this team really be a 10-12 win team as some claim or will be more close to the 9 win team we are built for?

#1 is that we have no long term QB signed.  We have a QB who's play dictates that he will get what the market will offer him. That market is at least $25 million/ year and probably higher. Now to many here, his performance here probably doesn't warrant that salary but that's what the QB market dictates.

If we let Kirk walk, could we really trade for or find a free agent QB that could do as well as Kirk has or better?   Vikings have 3 free agent QBs, probably are resigning Keenum. So Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater?  Trade for Alex Smith or AJ Mccarron? There are lesser QBs who are free agents. They are options but that  doesn't necessarily mean we do any better. More than likely we do worse.

We have a no true GM.  Bruce isn't GM.  We have no clue how Doug will do as the main personnel guy. Also, anyone don't doubt Dan will be involved at least with big name free agents and our first round draft pick?

It feels like 3-13 because depending on how events play; this team could really be a 3-13 team  in 2018.

So, next year's thread will be titled " Why does 3-13 feel like 0-16?"

After losing to the Chiefs early in the season, I actually thought this team would rally and be a good team this year. Instead, they seemed to play at a level just below their opponents, almost a playing up or down to their opponents type of game.

Yes, they did play a brutal schedule, but seemingly hung with every top dog, but then would turn around and play down or overlook to a team they should have easily beaten, like Dallas. 1 or 2 bone headed decisions by KC, throwing into triple coverage, eyeing that 1 WR the entire duration of the play, and in a few cases simply staying in the broken down pocket instead of running which would have easily gotten a 1st down on numerous occasions.

That starts with coaching. A coach has to have the players focused and ready for every game. Too many times this year, Gruden looked to be too emotionally into the game to recognize what was happening on the field and the momentum swinging to be able to correct it in time; afterall, it IS called  2-minute offense, and he has to coach and call plays for the entire 2 minutes, not get lost in the fog.

But IMO, losing Garcon and DJax had a huge negative impact on the offense and team. They had developed some form of QB/WR communication, and last year the offense was doing very well; this year, we had a WR [ Doctson ] who has no ability to cut, he makes these long slowly-evolving bends in his route running which lost no one, and the Pryor experiment was a huge failure.

Wanna see 3-13? Let's see if Pryor sticks around. If the FO has a lick of sense, he will be let go. But faith in anything the FO does is nil, and until Allen is totally removed from this team, stability will be avoided at all costs...

I think almosts are a lot more painful than nevers. The fact that we can look at the games and know we were in them and several times should have won them is what makes the season feel worse than it was on the record-side. It sure isn't hard to think... If Doctson hadn't dropped one ball against KC, if the Refs didn't steal Fuller's interception on a BS call... if we didn't play like total losers against a Giants team that packed it up or two of the other games we just quit on...

This is the flip side of the old cliche it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Losing hurts. If we sucked throughout it's easier. It's not hard to make a case that the Redskins overachieved this year... given injuries and some stupid personal choices, but that's the rational mind. We live football games with our inner child in charge and wants to see the good guys win and knows how wrong it is when they falter or die.

Archived