Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7-9. So why does it feel like 3-13?

Spaceman Spiff

It feels worse than it was because by now we all hoped we would be a better team than last year, and there are enough "if only" moments to think that we are close to being good, but at the same time it's clear there are weeks when the team just doesn't show up. I think the squad overall is better than it's been in years but the performance and results don't reflect that. The injuries have definitely been a factor in that, but I don't feel they are the whole story in some of the more abject performances we've seen.

To start, this is a good thread to start. Sort of a talking through the feelings and helping reset some expectations.

Anyway, here's my thoughts on why this season feels worse than the record:

1 - Expectations - We were 8-7-1 last year while falling off later in the year. Many felt we could be over 9 wins with a few breaks going our way. 

2 - Division loses - We were 1-5 in the division. Typically being around .500 is okay if we hold our own in the rivalry games. When we started 0-3 vs Philly, Philly again then Dallas many knew the season was almost done.

3 - Cousins - This is a very hotly debated issue, but there's a chance he's gone this off-season. Some feel he's a big part of keeping us around .500 and without him the 'unknown' as the most important position will be crippling. 

4 - Receiving weapons have regressed - We went from thinking Pryor/Doctson would be a lateral move from Jackson/Garcon. We now know that's not the case. If you add in Reed's really bad year and not really being able to expect much from him going forward it's hard not to feel like we didn't just get a whole lot worse in an area that was once a strength. 

5 - We have a lot of holes in this team - We have a good amount of cap space ($52M), but we also have a lot of FAs and just gaps that need to be filled. A few names that are FAs that will leave gaps are Cousins, Grant, Brown, Foster, Breeland and maybe Compton will be issues. There's also players like Taylor and Murphy, who were lost to injury, but will also cost something to bring them back.  

6 - Fans are done with Bruce Allen - They just don't trust his ability to make this team a regularly competitive team. 

7 - It's been 4 years with this GM/Coach combo and we've never had more than 9 wins - Fairly self explanatory. This team made a big step from year one (4-12) to year 2 (9-7). Expectations were starting to grow, but honestly we slightly regressed since (8-7-1, then 7-9). 

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

Why does this feel like a 3-13 team? Because they played like one. 

They just played the second worst team in the league. They put up 10 points and went 1-13 on third down against the 29th ranked defense. They allowed one of the worst running teams in the NFL to run for 260 ****ing yards, which is like 70 more than they rushed for against anybody all year. They got absolutely embarrassed by a 2-13 squad who just fired its GM and coach, whose injury depleted roster rivals our own. 

This is the kind of **** this team rolls out there today? To play like none of them gave a ****? A comprehensive, top to bottom embarrassment, courtesy of an awful team with nothing to play for? There were unprepared, unmotivated, and flat out unwatchable.

Performances like this make me regret being a fan of this team. This is absolutely unacceptable. 

Hey ExoDus84, why are you sugar coating it? Tell us what you really think. Great post by the way.

because we inherently know that we are at the bottom of the cycle again. soon to begin the process of smoke and mirrors again that will reinvigorate some fans and definitely make piles of loot for dan and company.   this team goes from soul crushingly bad to almost average every few years and we are so blinded by our own bull**** we think that barely making the bottom of the OK list deems us competitive with real teams and or "on the verge".  we aren't. 

there will forever be a "reasonable" excuse, sometimes a scapegoat to be humiliated, and always a bright and shiny new bauble to keep us distracted.

nothing can save this (dans) team, he has tried everything he is personally capable of. the sooner one accepts this the quicker they can just laugh at the horribleness. only when dan snyder is no longer involved will the Washington Redskins once again have a chance to be relevant.

but lets worry about what pants to wear or infinitely more important, what stupid nickname to place on a player that'll be here for a few years while the world rolls their collective eyes at how dumb this franchise is.

Probably because our season was ended before Thanksgiving. On November 19th, we can't get 1 damn yard in the 4th quarter to win the game. The Saints loss, while still leaving us "technically" alive for the post-season, buried us for the year. Last year, despite only winning 1 more game (8-7-1 vs 7-9), we weren't eliminated until week 17.

We played 6 games after that Saints game. We were officially, mathematically, eliminated with 3 weeks still to go. Sure, any mediocre team is going to miss the playoffs when it takes you 10 wins to get in. But knowing your season is over with over 1/3 of the season still to go makes even a .500 record feel like an exercise in futility. 

Plus, we went 1-5 in the ****ing division. So when you get swept twice and only manage a split with a team that managed 2 wins against the rest of the league, it's going to sting. I mean, thank God for the NFC West this year, since we had more wins against them than the entire rest of our schedule.

14 hours ago, onedrop said:

because we inherently know that we are at the bottom of the cycle again. soon to begin the process of smoke and mirrors again that will reinvigorate some fans and definitely make piles of loot for dan and company.   this team goes from soul crushingly bad to almost average every few years and we are so blinded by our own bull**** we think that barely making the bottom of the OK list deems us competitive with real teams and or "on the verge".  we aren't. 

there will forever be a "reasonable" excuse, sometimes a scapegoat to be humiliated, and always a bright and shiny new bauble to keep us distracted.

nothing can save this (dans) team, he has tried everything he is personally capable of. the sooner one accepts this the quicker they can just laugh at the horribleness. only when dan snyder is no longer involved will the Washington Redskins once again have a chance to be relevant.

but lets worry about what pants to wear or infinitely more important, what stupid nickname to place on a player that'll be here for a few years while the world rolls their collective eyes at how dumb this franchise is.

^^^

I was going to say something here but he already said what I was going to... :cheers:

It took 2 cat 5 hurricanes to finally make me stop watching this team. I would have to hike a couple miles to to an open bar with service to see football and they were always the same failure football team, with glimmers of possibilities. 

It took not having power at home for 117 days so far and barely any service to stop coming on here to **** about it too. 

I finally have given up on this team. We'll never get over the hump, because we are the hump.

Good thread. This boils down to two simple factors:

1) The NFC was strong this season. Double digit wins were needed to get in and we were mathematically eliminated in November. At that point morale was down, and the circus came back to town- there was talk about throwing the rest of the season, should we tag Cousins, fire everyone, etc.... After listening to this nonsense for well over a month while other teams are still playing meaningful football, it certainly gives the feeling of 3-13.

2) We were the 2nd most injured team (I actually think we were 1st after the Giants game) and we played against a top three Strength of Schedule. That's a deadly combination. We knew we weren't world beaters going into this year, so if you told me that we'd be the most injured team, I certainly wouldn't have high expectations. (I digress- I heard a guest on the Junkies this morning who explained how the players didn't do their due diligence in taking care of their bodies (e.g. daily ice baths, massages, cupping, etc.) Swearinger also called out his teammates. Hopefully this will be rectified next season). Regardless of who's to blame for the injuries, show me a team who has overcome being the most injured team. "Next man up" is a fair statement if it's a player or two, not when it's half of the team.

Honorable mentions:

-The disgusting Giants game to end the year certainly left a bad taste. Hopefully those three draft spots that we jumped will pay off (I say that half sarcastically).

-With Cousins playing so poorly down the stretch, more fuel has now been added to that debate. I feel like the last month+ should be weighted lighter given it's small sample size which consisted of an injured, heartless team... still I can't help but disagree will the "need to sign him at all costs" crowd. 

@CTskin no, we were not “mathematically eliminated in November” we still had a CHANCE with the win on thanksgiving night against the giants, and even with the loss against the cowboys the following week, if we had won against the chargers (in December), we wouldn’t have been eliminated yet (although it still wouldn’t have been very likely at all that we get in at 9-7). The loss to the chargers (in December) officially had us mathematically eliminated, which means we were still not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until December. Not November. 

The loss to the chargers (in December) officially had us mathematically eliminated, which means we were still not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until December.

>> Yes, but I don't think Jay knew this.  Otherwise you would like to think he would have gone for two after Breeland's pick six in the Chargers game.  That was pretty much the last straw for me on this season...from then on it was gloom, despair and agony on me.....

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@CTskin no, we were not “mathematically eliminated in November” we still had a CHANCE with the win on thanksgiving night against the giants, and even with the loss against the cowboys the following week, if we had won against the chargers (in December), we wouldn’t have been eliminated yet (although it still wouldn’t have been very likely at all that we get in at 9-7). The loss to the chargers (in December) officially had us mathematically eliminated, which means we were still not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until December. Not November. 

50 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

The loss to the chargers (in December) officially had us mathematically eliminated, which means we were still not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until December.

I apologize, but hope that you caught my drift. Optimism for the playoffs was dashed after the Thanksgiving loss and the realization that this team wasn't up for it had thoroughly set in at that point. There were five teams ahead of us, of which all except for one was ahead by at least two games, fighting for two playoff spots. If you were holding out hope for the playoffs with our minuscule probability in December then you were one of the very few and I tip my cap to you. I wanted to see a strong finish because I didn't want an off-season house cleaning, but the sights were off of the playoffs. 

Whether it was late November or early December when we were officially mathematically eliminated, my point is that we've been playing essentially meaningless football for quite a while. So, although we finished with a respectable-ish record, it feels much worse.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

I apologize, but hope that you caught my drift. Optimism for the playoffs was dashed after the Thanksgiving loss and the realization that this team wasn't up for it had thoroughly set in at that point. There were five teams ahead of us, of which all except for one was ahead by at least two games, fighting for two playoff spots. If you were holding out hope for the playoffs with our minuscule probability in December then you were one of the very few and I tip my cap to you. I wanted to see a strong finish because I didn't want an off-season house cleaning, but the sights were off of the playoffs. 

Whether it was late November or early December when we were officially mathematically eliminated, my point is that we've been playing essentially meaningless football for quite a while. So, although we finished with a respectable-ish record, it feels much worse.

we won on thanksgiving :P we lost 4 days before that, against the saints, but after the thanksgiving WIN, we still had a chance, HAD WE WON in dallas the following Thursday. if I recall correctly, most people here felt pretty good about our chances cause we were going to be facing a beat up cowboys team. sadly, that ended up not being the case, and then we lost in LA :( I still had hopes slightly that we'd go on a 4 game winning streak to get in at 9-7, but it's true that after the dallas loss, almost everyone realized the chances were pretty slim. 

I think with both Carolina and Atlanta finishing 10-6 we'd have to be 11-5 to make it to the playoffs. If that's true we were eliminated in reality a long time before December, we just couldn't have known it was going to play out that way at the time.

Archived