Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7-9. So why does it feel like 3-13?

Spaceman Spiff

Well, another season in the books.  

It's an average team.  I lump 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 as pretty much the same thing.  If .500 is the definition of average a one game swing either way isn't too much of a difference.  Doctson hauls in a catch against KC and this team is 8-8.  Win the Saints game in OT,  they'd be 9-7.  But it doesn't feel average.  It feels terrible.  Look at some of the responses around here (not criticizing anyone for their responses, I've been pretty harsh today, too) and people are pissed.  Rightfully so.  

So why does it feel like we went 3-13?  Why does it feel like there's NO REASON to be excited about the future?  Is it because Bruce is the GM?  Is it because we only won one game against our division, a game where Eli had one of the worst games of his career and the Giants basically sucked more than us?  Is it because Kirk's probably gonna go, leaving a big question mark at the QB position?  Is it because the games we did win this year, we won ugly?  

There are some good pieces on this team, it's not like they're completely devoid of talent.  Yet it just seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It feels like 3-13 because the team has been out of it for a while. 

Yeah, after blowing the NO game, getting throttled against the Cowboys and Chargers left a bad taste for this season.  And today was just the icing on the cake. I know it must've been miserable out there with the weather, but the Skins didn't seem like they even wanted to play today. 

I think it was the injuries, the let downs, the miserable play of this last game, and the fact that every time a "meaningful" game was played the team fell flat.

What I was thinking about was that I predicted a 6-10 season based on how bad we were in the preseason, the fact that I thought it would take a while for the offense to gel after losing Garcon and Jackson (not to mention having all our receivers hurt during the preseason) and the fact that Manusky smelled like a really bad, and uninspired choice.

Given that, we probably played a little above my expectations esp. when we went toe to toe with KC and the Saints.Thing is, this season was a series of body blows. We had some almosts, but almost everything turned sour especially on the injury front.

Because if we actually were 3-13 we would have the 2nd pick in the draft and in position to draft a QB of the future.  Instead all the good ones will be gone and we will have to find one as at least 4 teams drafting ahead of us need a QB.

As others have said, the team has not looked good in a long time and our QB has struggled at times, and yes, throwing another late interception against the Giants.  He is a good NFL QB, just not great, but better than anything we have or could get.

We have to sign our QB.

I am still waiting on a real quality draft.  A draft of quality players in the lower rounds and a couple blue chip ones (difference makers)

And now, the long off season begins again.  Year after year after year.

To repeat what I have said in the past.  The lone common denominator since we last won the in the playoffs is our owner.  Agree/disagree, fair/not fair, it is what it is.

41 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

because we just got our asses whipped by one of the worst teams in the league, and the QB that many of us want to stick around had one of the worst games hes ever had in a redskins uniform.

this game, did not feel like an ass whooping.  It is basically the result of two plays, a seventy five yard run  and an interception inside out own 20

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Because it feels like we're not gonna sign Kirk, we're not gonna sign Brown, and Norman will be traded. Bash will leave through FA as well and we'll look like crap again...

dude, if we trade Norman(don't know where that came from) we'd use some of the money to sign Breeland, and if we don't tag Kirk, we'd probably use it on Brown after the season he had, if we couldn't come to a deal

2 minutes ago, carex said:

this game, did not feel like an ass whooping.  It is basically the result of two plays, a seventy five yard run  and an interception inside out own 20

dude, if we trade Norman(don't know where that came from) we'd use some of the money to sign Breeland, and if we don't tag Kirk, we'd probably use it on Brown after the season he had, if we couldn't come to a deal

Just pure guess regarding Norman, but I'll bet he'll ask for it if we don't sign Kirk.

And if we don't sign him, others will want to move where they have a chance to succeed.

It’s because this team has no consistency.

Most recently the demoralizing loss today to a 2 win team. I predicted they would lose today because what this team needs more then anything is consistency. That’s what the best teams have because they know how to build teams today and for tomorrow.

Who is the QB next year? No one knows

What about the RB? Same

And the wide receivers? Same

And the TEs? Same

The entire offensive side of the ball has question marks. Fans identify with that side more then they do the other and no one knows what’s going to happen this offseason so our perception is negative.

Couple that in with Bruce Allen and negative feeling intensifies. Couple that knowing we are drafting between picks 13 and 17 depending on today and we all know they aren’t in position to make great strides next year no matter what happens and it’s an abyss of negativity

Well, for me (and I'm sure others), it's that we have this same **** show to look forward to next year. Let that sink in.

Gruden and this staff is not going to get it done. 4 years and the same dumbass mistakes over and over again. 

And let's not forget how great a job Bruce and company have done. For a billionaire businessman, Dan Snyder's refusal to run the organization like the successful franchises are run says it all.

So yeah, no moral victories. At. All.

What's even worse is that they have no plan.  If they had a competent front office that knew what it was doing, then the possibility of Cousins wouldn't feel as bad since they at least have strategy of where to go next.  Right now, it's a feeling of helplessness and hopeless of what's coming next.

8 minutes ago, Csup said:

Synder is a failure as an owner and you can’t fire the owner.  That’s why there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

He'll "get" it one day. Don't you worry you're pretty little head off. If you think about it, he's only owned the team for...about 20 years? Give the guy a chance.

Kinda hard to be optimistic about the future with so much uncertainty hanging over things, including some key starters.

Not to mention the nature if the loss.  They went out like a bunch of chumps for the second year in a row.  That, in and of itself, removes any benefit of the doubt I would give this franchise for the future.  

Archived