Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7-9. So why does it feel like 3-13?

Spaceman Spiff

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know, 7-9 seems just right for this team. Not very good, but competent enough to compete most weeks.

Yeah, I don’t get all the doom and gloom either.  Take an 8-8 caliber team, put 20 guys on IR...and you’re 7-9.

It could definitely be worse.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, I don’t get all the doom and gloom either.  Take an 8-8 caliber team, put 20 guys on IR...and you’re 7-9.

It could definitely be worse.

Yeah I think we're in the same range as about 24 other teams in the league, anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 with the final result dependent on strength of schedule, injuries, and luck. We drew the short end of the stick on all three of those this year.

36 minutes ago, Csup said:

Synder is a failure as an owner and you can’t fire the owner.  That’s why there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

I just wish people who thought this way would stop inflicting this mindset on everyone else

55 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Just pure guess regarding Norman, but I'll bet he'll ask for it if we don't sign Kirk.

And if we don't sign him, others will want to move where they have a chance to succeed.

let him ask.  And no team in the NFL has ever had difficulty filling the roster.  Plus teams that are close to success are less likely to need people which makes it harder to get jobs with them

Because to be perfectly honest I don't see an upside with this franchise.  I see other teams make moves and get better like the Rams and Eagles.....even the 49rs. 

Now I look at my team and I see a 9-7 team limping into the playoffs on their best days.  We got beat by a lesser team that should've been an easy win.

We suck and I don't see how to get out of this funk unless we try something new because what we've BEEN doing over these many many years isn't working.  

I know it was a division game, but the Giants STINK this year, and they're currently coached by Spags. When you are out-coached by Spagnuolo, that speaks volumes. Cousins played a dreadful game; not the best way to leave an impression, either for potential suitors or prospects for a LTD with the team. And I hate that, under Gruden, we seem to start and finish in a complete and utter funk. Slow out of the gate, and a late implosion. Tired of that routine.

I don't feel like this is a 3-13 team.  I'm not that optimistic about the front office, but for a while there -- teams playing the Skins were viewing them as very competitive threat.  Sadly, once the injuries mounted up, the Skins 3rd-stringers and new hires, weren't able to do the same job.  Any game where Tyler Catalina is your starting left tackle and a 2-week player winds up being your starting RB.... I can't take that as representative of the team that started this season with such promise.

And the fact remains is that this team did have talent, even though most of it was on the IR.  And another year of continuity under Gruden will help to further develop the talent we see in players like Fuller, Spaight, Allen, Anderson, Doctson, Roullier, Moreau, and others.  Heck, even McClain and McClure seemed to be fitting in a bit more by the end of the year.

What makes me the most nervous is the future of this team, as guided by its FO decisions.  while I think the franchise reputation has recovered from its low-points of the Shanny and Zorn era -- the Snyder/Allen FO still manages to find new ways to keep dragging it back downward.  But even so, incremental improvements have been made and there may soon come a day, when high caliber FAs and coaches might want to come to Washington.  Hopefully, Snyder/Allen don't overreact to today's loss -- and instead let Gruden straighten things out.

As for Cousins -- I think retaining him would do wonders to establish some stability for this franchise.  Hopefully, he sees that it may be in Kirk's long-term interest not to cripple the Skins cap space with an exorbitant contract, should he really want to stay here.  But have the Snyder/Allen tactics soured this possibility?

....Those are the things I worry about, rather than some meaningless game in New York, where the Skins played badly due to many reasons.

5 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I know it was a division game, but the Giants STINK this year, and they're currently coached by Spags. When you are out-coached by Spagnuolo, that speaks volumes. Cousins played a dreadful game; not the best way to leave an impression, either for potential suitors or prospects for a LTD with the team. And I hate that, under Gruden, we seem to start and finish in a complete and utter funk. Slow out of the gate, and a late implosion. Tired of that routine.

okay, but can you rea.lly say we were outcoached?  The difference in the game came in the first three minutes of the game, based off a couple of bad plays

4 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I don't feel like this is a 3-13 team.  I'm not that optimistic about the front office, but for a while there -- teams playing the Skins were viewing them as very competitive threat.  Sadly, once the injuries mounted up, the Skins 3rd-stringers and new hires, weren't able to do the same job.

But the fact remains that this team did have talent, even though most of it was on the IR.  And another year of continuity under Gruden will help to further develop the talent we see in players like Fuller, Spaight, Allen, Anderson, Doctson, Roullier, Moreau, and others.  Heck, even McClain and McClure seemed to be fitting in a bit more by the end of the year.

What makes me the most nervous is the future of this team, as guided by its FO decisions.  while I think the franchise reputation has recovered from its low-points of the Shanny and Zorn era -- the Snyder/Allen FO still manages to find new ways to keep dragging it back downward.  But even so, incremental improvements have been made and there may soon come a day, when high caliber FAs and coaches might want to come to Washington.  Hopefully, Snyder/Allen don't overreact to today's loss -- and instead let Gruden straighten things out.

As for Cousins -- I think retaining him would do wonders to establish some stability for this franchise.  Hopefully, he sees that it may be in Kirk's long-term interest not to cripple the Skins cap space with an exorbitant contract, should he really want to stay here.  But have the Snyder/Allen tactics soured this possibility?

....Those are the things I worry about, rather than some meaningless game in New York, where the Skins played badly due to many reasons.

high caliber FA?  Like Jackson and Norman?  Hell, Haynesworth was a high quality FA

I wouldn't say it feels like "3-13" but I understand the point you are making. For me the main reason 7-9 feels worse than that record is because the team was out of contention with about a month of the season left.  The last 3-4 games have felt merely like going through the routine of watching your team, but mainly with no excitement or anticipation.  Not to mention because of their December opponents they didn't even really have a chance to play spoiler against any "in the hunt" teams.

Then today, getting physically pushed up and down on both sides of the ball by a 2 win team was the cherry on top of the S-Sundae.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Then today, getting physically pushed up and down on both sides of the ball by a 2 win team was the cherry on top of the S-Sundae.

This is what really ticked me off more than anything else. Spags had those guys motivated, and he did so knowing full well that he probably won't even have a job with the Giants next season.

On the bright side, we may be getting our boy Bruce some help!!  Doesn't that excite you??!!  Bruce will be MORE involved in football.  YAY!!

Washington Redskins: A fringe hot-seat candidate, coach Jay Gruden isn't going anywhere. Sources say there is a deep understanding of how injuries torpedoed Washington's promising season, and Gruden still has the support of the front office. Don't expect any major changes on the staff, and if there are changes in the front office, they would be minor. One possibility: Hiring a business-side executive to allow team president Bruce Allen to focus more on football, rather than spread himself thin.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900059/article/whos-safe-whos-out-nfc-coaches-on-hot-seat

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I wouldn't say it feels like "3-13" but I understand the point you are making. For me the main reason 7-9 feels worse than that record is because the team was out of contention with about a month of the season left.  The last 3-4 games have felt merely like going through the routine of watching your team, but mainly with no excitement or anticipation.  Not to mention because of their December opponents they didn't even really have a chance to play spoiler against any "in the hunt" teams.

they lost their LT on the third play of the game.  Their NT missed his first game of the season, no chance to adjust to being completely without him, Ionnadis got nicked again and I think McClain was just back from injury

I swear, the Redskins could line up their OL from the fourth quarter of the fourth pre-season game against the DL from the Pro Bowl and Skins fans would complain about the team being pushed around

16 minutes ago, allskinz said:

On the bright side, we may be getting our boy Bruce some help!!  Doesn't that excite you??!!  Bruce will be MORE involved in football.  YAY!!

Washington Redskins: A fringe hot-seat candidate, coach Jay Gruden isn't going anywhere. Sources say there is a deep understanding of how injuries torpedoed Washington's promising season, and Gruden still has the support of the front office. Don't expect any major changes on the staff, and if there are changes in the front office, they would be minor. One possibility: Hiring a business-side executive to allow team president Bruce Allen to focus more on football, rather than spread himself thin.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900059/article/whos-safe-whos-out-nfc-coaches-on-hot-seat

Damn that’s classic Redskins dropping a big old deuce on the fan base. 

It's really hard to understand why Dan cant figure it out after all these years, he has all the resources at his disposal and supposedly wants to win so bad.

I don't know what it's going to take for him to understand he cant continue to cut corners when it comes to the structure of our front office.

The RG3 trade mixed with Scott M's suspect drafting and free agency pickups have left us with a team full of depth but no real playmakers.

Should have stopped watching after they blew the NO game.

I haven't even realized they were playing until the game was over the past few weeks.

Wow, we lost? What's the ****ing difference?

4 minutes ago, TysonM said:

We were snookered into thinking things had truly changed.

Not everybody.

It was obvious at the time but most fans didn't want to hear it.

Wtf! The fact that folks on here will defend gruden and his Merry men is despicable in and of itself. But to watch folks on here try to defend this bs is comical at best.

And hey, our billionaire owner is going to keep on keeping on.

Welcome to loserville, ladies and gentlemen. I've got to explain to my 16 year old son why I raised him to be a redskins fan. I'm ****ing fed up.

Hate Snyder and what he's done to this once proud franchise.

But honestly, I hate what he's done to my son's generation.

Wtf! The fact that folks on here will defend gruden and his Merry men is despicable in and of itself. But to watch folks on here try to defend this bs is comical at best.

Welcome to loserville, ladies and gentlemen. I've got to explain to my 16 year old son why I raised him to be a redskins fan. I'm ****ing fed up.

Doesn't really go anywhere else, so will put it here.  Since the league went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, no NFC East team has finished with fewer than three wins, with the exception of the 1-15 Cowboys in 1989. Prior to the Giants going into this game at 2-13, the closest an NFC team has come to going 2-14 was the 1994 Skins in Norv's first year, as we were 2-13 heading into the final game, but beat a 4-11 Rams team on the road. 

And while the one win the '89 Cowboys had was famously a midseason victory over the Skins at RFK, the '88 Cowboys were 2-12 heading into RFK.....and beat the Skins, before losing the season finale to finish 3-13. 

Because we have an idiot President, no GM, a ho hum coach, and a franchise QB who’s looking to get out of here faster than a whore from church.  

We we look into the future and see best case, 8-8, and worst case being the laughing stock of the Zorn/Spurrier variety, with no real possibility of being good or contending for anything next year.  

And, if they tag Cousins, we’re staring down another year of ridiculous with the  cha-cha-cha.

I’d love to be wrong. The best indication would be if we win the opener. Which he hasn’t done yet.  And I guarantee we’ll be an underdog to anybody on the schedule. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan4128 said:

you have no right to judge any other fan, and what they will accept and what they won't.  And Snyder hasn't done anything to the Skins that wasn't already happening to them the years before he showed up.  We were sucking to mediocre and making crappy draft picks for years before him

1 minute ago, carex said:

And Snyder hasn't done anything to the Skins that wasn't already happening to them the years before he showed up.  We were sucking to mediocre and making crappy draft picks for years before him

To be fair, Snyder's crappy tenure has lasted three times as long as the post-Gibbs 1 stint before he arrived. 

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And I guarantee we’ll be an underdog to anybody on the schedule. 

Speaking of which, lets look at the non-divisional opponents for 2018 again:

Home: ATL, CAR, GB, HOU, IND

Away: NO, TB, JAX, TEN, AZ

Five of those teams are playing next weekend, with GB also a playoff-caliber team with a healthy Rodgers.  In contrast, only three of the non-divisional opponents on the supposed hellacious schedule this year had made the postseason in 2016.  Bottom line, it isn't going to get any easier. And I can't see doing any better than 2-4 within the division next season. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

you have no right to judge any other fan, and what they will accept and what they won't.  And Snyder hasn't done anything to the Skins that wasn't already happening to them the years before he showed up.  We were sucking to mediocre and making crappy draft picks for years before him

Are you serious? I'm basing this disaster on Snyder's reign of terror. (I've been around for the glory years). And if you're going to say I have no right to judge (never said they had or hadn't had to accept this mess). 

Perhaps you should not respond unless you're sure of what you read. Thanks.

Otherwise, we're good. 

?

Archived