Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You're right. Will Grier will be there when we pick in the first.

Problem is,  he'll also be there when we pick in the 2nd, and maybe the 3rd.

I respectfully disagree. I've seen some mock drafts show Grier drop completely out of the 1st round. I've also seen some (Sporting news link below) have him picked in the top 10. The Draft is a complete crapshoot once the 1st 5 picks or so are taken.  I think one the key decision drivers by our FO is the health/recovery of our OL. Maybe with a keen eye on Jonathan Cooper and his progress towards being a LaVauo upgrade. If Cooper is a "go" I think Will Grier will be a strong candidate at 15. If not, my money would be on Cody Ford.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2019-broncos-giants-dolphins-qb-cardinals-49ers/1u0voimnqw09f1s9f4vc8m0piq

Antonio Brown is a crybaby who won't shut up without a win he can suckle on. Even when they're winning, he's still a crybaby. I wouldn't take him if they paid us to. I'd only take a high maintenance player if we could actually afford the maintenance.

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

Vinny approves 

There is nothing wrong with adding young, productive big name FA. It's something we should have done more lately. The problem with Vinny is that he traded away draft picks, drafted poorly, and signed old, over the hill players. We have had some hits waiting for bargains as the free agency mayhem to pass, but a lot of ties, those guys have een a wast of money. Stacy McGee and who? We would have been better off signing one expensive player. 

This roster actually does have some depth now. What we don't have is a QB and a handful of dynamic players to put us over the top. We can improve through FA and the draft and we need to maximize both. 

Also, people keep saying that we, "have almost no cap room". That isn't true. We have 17 million in room and could easily have 30 million after a few cuts. 

@Anselmheifer we’re slated to have 22.9 mil I believe.  Cut Davis and Brown and that’s 10 mil more.  Possible we cut Norman for 8 more.  The problem is setting aside 13-16 for rookies/in-season leaves us with limited cap, especially if we bring back Crowder.  With that said, we should be able to fit 2 higher priced guys (1 if we retain Crowder) and a couple/few cheap FAs.  If Norman’s gone, we could swing one more higher lvl FA.  

It's likely that Crowder, Smith and HaHa all leave because there will be teams out there with the cap room to give each one of those guys big money deals, especially Crowder and Smith. Peterson and McPhee are two who would count toward the comp pick total if they were to leave. If we were not to sign any other team's UFAs, that potentially means at least 3 comp picks coming our way in 2020. 2020 seems to be a loaded draft for offensive talent in general - the QBs have been getting a ton of hype but the receiver class looks deep as well. Jerry Jeudy, for example, looks like he is going to be a #1 WR in this league. It'd be great to have the draft capital to trade up for a WR or a QB (if we don't invest a 1st in one this year)

Thus, I would keep the focus on released players in free agency. I would focus on guys like Johnathan Cyprien, Nick Foles (if there is a magical way to create enough cap room),  Kelechi Osemele and Janoris Jenkins

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/11/potential_2019_cap_casualties_for_all_32_nfl_teams_calais_ca.html

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Jets willing to trade Leonard Williams for a 2nd round pick.... report came out today.

Sounds like we can start next season with both Scherff and Leonard Williams on our team. I wonder what happened to the people who were bashing that pick?

So, after absolutely refusing to play Brian Quick at wide receiver in 2017, the team re-signed him and then absolutely refused to play him at wide receiver in 2018 instead opting to trot out off the street free agent Michael Floyd (or was he a waiver pick up)

It may be small potatoes, but symptomatically it's big. We had a injured wide receiver corp, losing Richardson, Crowder, and hearing reports that Doctson was hurt through a large part of the season... yet one of their first wide receiver off season free agent signings doesn't make it on the field... AGAIN. It's just baffling.

P.S. If he's on IR disregard this post, but I don't think he is. I just can't keep up with how many we IRed.

The team needs to move away from the oft injured signings. And that means parting ways with some guys we like.

Crowder, Reed are the first two that come to mind. Thompson to an extent, but his contract isn't all that detrimental and he's a true game breaker and change of pace when he's around. With Guice on the roster an injury to him, while it would hurt, wouldn't be catastrophic. Assuming Guice is healthy and we bring back AP.

Norman could be a cut, but I'd hang on to him to see if he plays any better with Brown and Swearinger gone. 

It's too early to move on from TW71. We don't have a replacement level player, really, and he's been the heart of the franchise. But the team needs to really start thinking about the future without him. 

Jonathan Cooper should be brought back as the training camp LG starter. But we need to find a healthy player to fill in behind him to ensure LG doesn't take a major dump. Lauvao shouldn't be brought back. 

For WR we're a mess. Robert Davis, Cam Sims, Trey Quinn will all be back from IR. But I'm not sure what we have in any of them. Quinn so far has been a walking injury. Davis flashed in preseason, but I'm not sure what that amounts to. Sims is meh. They should all be given a shot in camp at the very least. But aside from Doctson, our most productive wide receiver is probably Michael Floyd at the moment. This is, of course, discounting Crowder. I like Crowder. A lot. But his injury history + likely price tag are going to be tough to bring back on a team that doesn't have a ton of cap space and needs to make some moves to improve the roster. 

The one position I think the team is overall set at is DL. I can see moving one depth guy for another depth guy. But I wouldn't touch this group. 

Linebackers are a total mess. Right now we're not sure what happens with Reuben. 

Without going through everyone with a fine tooth comb... there are a ton of holes on this roster.

And I haven't even mentioned quarterback. 

But again, I think the key to this offseason is to try our hand on players who don't have an injury history. I know there's a school of thought that places our injuries on Gruden. Another on the training staff. Another on the CBA. Another on Bruce Allen. And another on a mix of all of them... But we have a penchant for getting players on team friendly deals who are talented because of an injury history. I'd like to try to fill the roster with maybe slightly lesser players if we need to go cheap... but guys who will be available or have a history of being available. Or if there's a enticing enough FA that is a healthy, extremely talented player that fits signing them to a larger contract without sacrificing plugging the holes in the boat at other positions.

This is going to be a long offseason.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

The team needs to move away from the oft injured signings. And that means parting ways with some guys we like.

Crowder, Reed are the first two that come to mind. Thompson to an extent, but his contract isn't all that detrimental and he's a true game breaker and change of pace when he's around. With Guice on the roster an injury to him, while it would hurt, wouldn't be catastrophic. Assuming Guice is healthy and we bring back AP.

Only thing I disagree with here is that Crowder only missed one game his first three years (I believe).  

Norman could be a cut, but I'd hang on to him to see if he plays any better with Brown and Swearinger gone. 

I’m torn on this.  I understand keeping Norman, but that’s a lot of cap (even more freed up next year if we take the dead money hit this year).  I wonder if a trade is possible.  Wouldn’t mind seeing what the youngsters can do (and maybe draft a good one), though having a leader/example in place is probably a good thing.  

It's too early to move on from TW71. We don't have a replacement level player, really, and he's been the heart of the franchise. But the team needs to really start thinking about the future without him. 

Agreed.  I can understand the ‘burn it down’ mentality, but he’s a key piece - for whoever our qb is (especially a rook), for Guice, as a leader, an example for Christian, etc. 

Jonathan Cooper should be brought back as the training camp LG starter. But we need to find a healthy player to fill in behind him to ensure LG doesn't take a major dump. Lauvao shouldn't be brought back. 

I agree with this.  I’ve said I’d consider bringing him back, but then operate (in the offseason) as though he doesn’t exist.  

For WR we're a mess. Robert Davis, Cam Sims, Trey Quinn will all be back from IR. But I'm not sure what we have in any of them. Quinn so far has been a walking injury. Davis flashed in preseason, but I'm not sure what that amounts to. Sims is meh. They should all be given a shot in camp at the very least. But aside from Doctson, our most productive wide receiver is probably Michael Floyd at the moment. This is, of course, discounting Crowder. I like Crowder. A lot. But his injury history + likely price tag are going to be tough to bring back on a team that doesn't have a ton of cap space and needs to make some moves to improve the roster. 

I’m intrigued by our young guys, but man...

The one position I think the team is overall set at is DL. I can see moving one depth guy for another depth guy. But I wouldn't touch this group. 

Agreed.  Torn on extending Ioannidis - love the player, but 3 separate injuries the past 2 years.  If we plan on moving on (and perhaps getting a nice comp pick), maybe we shoot for a higher than expected pick at the position.  

Linebackers are a total mess. Right now we're not sure what happens with Reuben. 

Yes and no.  Assuming we cut Brown, we need help/competition there.  SDH looks ok, Rueben is a stud (so there’s hope), and Mason comes across as a solid backup type - a somewhat better version of Will Compton.  JHC a contributor, but not a starter.  

Without going through everyone with a fine tooth comb... there are a ton of holes on this roster.

Or safety... ugh.  

But again, I think the key to this offseason is to try our hand on players who don't have an injury history. I know there's a school of thought that places our injuries on Gruden. Another on the training staff. Another on the CBA. Another on Bruce Allen. And another on a mix of all of them... But we have a penchant for getting players on team friendly deals who are talented because of an injury history. I'd like to try to fill the roster with maybe slightly lesser players if we need to go cheap... but guys who will be available or have a history of being available. Or if there's a enticing enough FA that is a healthy, extremely talented player that fits signing them to a larger contract without sacrificing plugging the holes in the boat at other positions.

Focus on injury free players and on speed (IMO).  

Yes indeed.  

We could use help all over (except maybe DL as you mentioned), but the qb situation is the big one obviously.  I don’t think any move they make at that position will satisfy fans, so they better hope they can either set themselves up for a top pick in 2020, or if they take a guy this year, that he flashes some serious talent.  Otherwise the tide of fandom continues to ebb.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Really makes you wonder WTF we've been doing as a team when you can so easily list holes on this roster. Like seriously, years of suckage, WTF do we have so many holes. Yet Allen continues to keep his job.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:47 AM, KDawg said:

This I agree with. I feel like there's a lot of uncertainty as to why we keep getting injured but one easy change we can make is moving on from marginal players who are always hurt. Our top talent like Reed is a different question but Lauvao is an easy replacement. 

I'd move on from Crowder for a different reason. Not that he's always "injured" more that he's not as good as he will command. I doubt he gets the contract that we paid for Robsinson but he will likely get more than Grant got initially last year. And since we lost Pierre and Jackson he hasn't been the impact player we wanted. 

I'd cut Norman because we have Dunbar, Moreau, Alexander, Stroman and Johnson right now. I don't see all those guys making the team but I also see us drafting a CB high this year, or potentially looking to replace Norman with a free agent. 

I hope the Christian pick works out here. but so far he's another injured player. Otherwise we need somebody here. But my question would be more about Moses than TW. Moses is a walking holding call. Whatever the reason for that, we need to fix it. 

I disagree with this mainly because of your first point. Cooper is another walking injury. its probably why he was available mid season. We need to be looking for a LG in the draft. I don't doubt that we could find another Austin Reiter / Chase Roullier type player, but this is a position that needs to be addressed. Similar to Christian we have to question whether a guy like Dunn or Fuller can come in here and play well, but even in that situation we need a backup plan just in case. 

Yeah, I see this as a complete overhaul area. Given it was hit by a lot of injuries this year, we don't know which injuries will be repeated and which ones will not. The ?good? part of this is that Doctson has been relatively healthy the past 2 years. The bad part about that is that he still hasn't been that good. Davis, Sims, Quinn, Harris have all been unexceptional. Sure they could be good and have hidden talents but I'm not willing to bet my season on that. And Davis is a guy who I wouldn't even count on making the roster because he's been hurt twice without finishing a regular season game yet. The thing is that a good QB can make a decent WR look a lot better. 

I like our backup LBs but still think we need some depth / competition there. I think SDH / Reuben / Mason / JHC can be a good ILB core. On the outside Kerrigan and Anderson could work but we need to know who's coming in after that. McPhee isn't it to me. McKinzy is an option but I wouldn't bet on him being the answer. 

Honestly what makes it seem like a long offseason is that we need a QB on top of all of this. We have guys who can and have played well in the past. We need to upgrade some positions but its not like we need a 53 man solution as some say. I honestly think that TW, Moses, Scherff and Roullier are a good foundation for an OL. We're good at RB, (probably need a 3rd down back now that Bibbs is gone and Thompson is injury prone), our defense has good players but needs more depth at DB and LB.

I think that if we were to start the season with ~80% of this starting roster we'd be able to compete for an 8-8 season depending on who's at QB. Or maybe we start Josh Johnson in attempt to get Tua or Herbert. 

I think Crowder could definitely produce better in a more ideal situation, but I also think he's one of the most overrated players by our fanbase in recent memory, partially because he's flashed and partially because we just never draft skill position playmakers so we wanted him to be one so bad. I'm actually not sure he gets overpaid the way people think, he's never had the breakout year we were expecting. I am pretty sure he is barely above replacement level talent, though, and being 5'8 and tiny in the slot doesn't make the QB's job any easier. Almost anyone across the league with a similar replaceabke skill-set could do what he's done, I wouldn't re-sign him unless it was very cheap. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Both of which have lengthy injury histories and aren’t exactly spring chickens. 

Pass.

if you can get them for a good price as stop-gaps while you fill other holes through the draft... definitely better than the garbage we have

But usually only winning teams do things like this, i.e. the Patriots. 

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

if you can get them for a good price as stop-gaps while you fill other holes through the draft... definitely better than the garbage we have

Not if they’re not on the field. This is the exact issue with the way the Skins have done business. Signing injury prone guys for less than their positional/talent value on the open market due to injury history.

so we sign one of them and they get injured and were right back to square one. Except with less backers who have been in the system available.

Hard pass on them both. If the team didn’t have so many injury prone people on the roster and a history of it, it would be a decent consideration in my opinion.

but the MO is exactly this kind of move.

Just now, KDawg said:

Not if they’re not on the field. This is the exact issue with the way the Skins have done business. Signing injury prone guys for less than their positional/talent value on the open market due to injury history.

so we sign one of them and they get injured and were right back to square one. Except with less backers who have been in the system available.

Hard pass on them both. If the team didn’t have so many injury prone people on the roster and a history of it, it would be a decent consideration in my opinion.

but the MO is exactly this kind of move.

I believe it has more to do with our drafting of injury-prone players.... fyi, Davis has started all 16 games since 2013 and only missed time this year (3 games).... not saying I disagree with you, but we have to look at everyone who's out there. 

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pass.

Bad injury history means that both will be Redskins in March. 

HTTR 

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pass.

Bad injury history means that both will be Redskins in March. 

HTTR 

Archived