Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

38 minutes ago, dyst said:

So this McPhee guys is touted as not being special but instead a solid rotational guy who is strong and has a motor. Great, sounds like the same crap when we signed the likes of Andre Carter, Rickey Jean, and that one cowboys lineman who’s name I can’t remember.

That's a bizarre way to stereotype players based on a one sentence hearsay description of them. Even weirder since Andre Carter actually had some pretty good years here. You make it sound like the analog is a bad one.

McPhee would be a depth signing. He's a decent player for what he is. The problem was that Chicago signed him to a five-year, $38.75 deal 3 years ago. And he's been sort of okay. And also sometimes injured. It's not worth the money Chicago was paying him, but at the right price and in the right role, he adds value. We'll obviously have to wait for the contract details to know for sure what his contract. But he's probably not radically different than another player you mentioned - Ricky Jean-Francois. RJF was signed for cheap to be a depth player. And that's what he was. He was a solid defensive player. He hasn't great, but  he wasn't paid to be great or expected to be great. Not sure which Cowboy you are referring to. Maybe McMcLain? Maybe Bowen? Both those guys likely will end up getting much more money than McPhee likely will.

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Jeez man. It's not like he was a habitiual offender. And you have no idea if he's demanding anything crazy or trying to fleece someone. And he clearly has interest from other teams. Little harsh, no?

I don’t hate Junior Galette. I’m more speaking to the fans who were actually holding their breath wanting so sign a guy so badly who got ya a combined 3 sacks over the past 3 seasons?  

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Stephen Bowen, correct? 

Yep that’s the guy. We keep signing these “good depth” type of guys, which is great for a team with an injury history, I suppose but these depth guys aren’t helping us move the needle.

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Galette better but I like this too.  D line,  D line. D line. 

McPhee gives them the option to move Smith to DE on passing downs. I actually love this signing if it happens. And one thing about McPhee over Gallette is McPhee is WAY better against the run. He is a much more balanced player IMO. He isnt a speed rusher. But he is much more valuable if someone goes down to injury.

13 hours ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Very little chance of Vea in the draft. I think Miami picks him at 11 to replace Suh. 

Good. I dont think he is a first round DL. But this is the wrong thread for that debate.

25 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

@Skinsinparadise I gave you a like because of the well written reply. 

Thanks, I agree with your point that it doesn't all live and die with Hankins.  But I went on a tangent on the D line. I want to see them add a big chess piece.  IMO it will be the biggest tipping point factor one way or another as to the defense this year.  Doesn't of course mean I am right -- just my opinion.   While adding a D lineman in the early rounds would IMO also make a major difference -- I love to have the flexibility where you aren't boxed in to do it.

I'd pay 9 million a year to PFF's 3rd best run stuffer DT in the league who is 25 going on 26. 

I recall people talking about how Snacks Harrison was overpaid when the Giants signed him -- O. Vernon, too.  And those two flipped their team in one season from being pathetic as to stopping the run to being monster level good at it.  It fell apart last year for them like it did for everything though. 

Having said that the Kyle Raugh guy isn't a reporter, I just looked him up, he's got like 13 followers on twitter.

11 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@Jericho

I’m not quite sure I agree with your last paragraph.  I see it a bit differently anyway.  

Yes, we need someone to take over for Smith in the not so distant future, but we have a solid starter and a solid backup as of now.  I’ve been saying we need to find a replacement for McCoy (someone with more upside, and cheaper), but I don’t think of it as a ‘need’ quite yet personally.  

I actually think the depth at corner and receiver are fine, it’s more the fact that we need a starter on each unit.  

I view Doctson and Richardson as fine #2 types.  Crowder is a good starter in the slot.  Quick is a solid replacement on the outside and Harris has some experience and upside.  Our last guy is a young guy with a lot of potential (exactly what you want in that spot).  The problem is, we don’t have a #1 receiver.  There is the potential that Doctson or Richardson steps up as a #1, but they may well not.  I don’t know that it holds back the offense though (if they don’t) - Smith has a blend of weapons to work with.  

At corner, I’m content/happy with Norman and Dunbar/Moreau as the top 3 (two starters, and solid depth on the outside).  Scandrick is ok as depth in the slot and maybe outside.  Holsey is in a similar position as Robert Davis - young guy with potential at the end of the depth chart (though it’s possible he earns the starting gig in the slot).  We’re missing a starter for the slot.  It’s possible Holsey steps up, and Scandrick might be ok there, but it’s a weak spot for now.  

Let me clarify a bit. Need is a relative term. I'm not exactly thrilled with how the positions currently look overall, but sometimes need is just about adding depth. Not adding a starter. Let me break down each position:

QB: Smith is signed as the starter and will be the starter for the foreseeable future. The question is really how long that foreseeable future lasts? I would say two years is a reasonable estimate. It could easily be longer, but it could also easily be shorter. Aging curves for NFL QBs are a bit all over the map. Redskins fan should be well aware of this. The team traded for McNabb in a similar situation not that long ago and McNabb was younger then compared to Alex Smith now. McNabb had one mediocre season, got benched, and then was out of the league completely a year later. And it's not just McNabb. Matt Schaub was pretty much washed up as a starter by age 32. Jay Cutler's last good year was at 32. Chad Pennington's last good season was at age 32. Matt Hasselbeck's last good season was at age 32. That's just some good-not-great QBs and their histories. There are reasons to believe Alex Smith may do better. But he may not. None of us really know. And when the end comes, it tends to come hard and fast. I'm saying the team would benefit from some contingency plan.

Colt McCoy seems like a fine back-up, but he'll be 32 before next season, so he's not exactly young either. And he also only has one year left on his deal. I've seen some pretty mediocre back-ups get at least $5 million per year in free agency these days. Not sure McCoy would get that much on the open market, but there's a financial decision to be made there. How much are you going to spend to bring back McCoy? And if you don't, what's plan B?

With two QBs, ages 34 and 32, one could really use some youth somewhere on the roster. The problem is how much draft capital do you want to spend on the position? Drafting QBs is a complete crapshoot. It's like buying a lottery ticket. A few workout, most bust. You take a low-risk flyer in the 6th or 7th round, but most of those QBs wash out of the league before becoming anything. Even developing one into a capable back-up would be a huge win. You're better off using a higher pick as the odds of finding at least a capable back-up increase. But then you're neglecting other positions.

I think the team has to take the Cousins approach. Don't force a pick in the draft, but maybe a guy you like falls to you in a particular round. That's what happened with Cousins. The team rated him highly and took him in the 4th despite not having a specific need. The move was almost universally panned by pundits. Not because they disliked Cousins or even the value. But because the Redskins didn't "need" another QB. And yet drafting Cousins was arguably the best thing this franchise has done in the last decade.

WR: Probably the most overrated group by fans in general. The two outside starters are projected to be Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson. Combined they have 6 seasons in the NFL, lots of injuries and missed games, two total seasons over 300 yards, and no seasons over 703 yards. And neither has even played a single season a as full-time starter. And yet people act like the team will be fine there. Maybe. The best two seasons for both were in 2017 and both have talent and upside. So that's good. But there's a lot of risk there. And its far from certain that either will develop into a bona fide starter, though it's also possible both will take that step next season. The problem is behind them is not much.

Jamison Crowder is an excellent slot receiver, but I don't think you'd want him on the outside. Harris and Davis are both young, but neither was even good enough to crack the 53 man roster at the beginning of last season. They both retain some upside, but you also have to keep your expectations in check. These aren't particularly high end prospects. Harris is 25 and been cut a few times as an UDFA. Davis is a former 6th round pick who's been cut once and has zero career receptions. Quick seems to be relegated to veteran minimum contracts at a fairly young age. Simply put, this team is badly in need of someone else with some upside. Maybe that's a 2nd rounder or a 4th rounder. But it really needs something. Cause if either Richardson or Doctson struggle or get injured, there's pretty much zero depth.

CB: I like Norman, but there's been constant talk of cutting him and how many years he stays on this team remains to be seen. Dunbar is decent, but I don't think you want him to start. You want Moreau to start, but both he and Holsey are completely unproven. Scandrick may or may not have anything left in the tank. Teams always need good CBs, and after losing two (Breeland and Fuller), this team could use another talented body there. I'd strongly consider a high-middle round pick on the position depending on what's available.

16 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Can't have too many elite rb's who play multiple positions so if James or Minoan is there I wouldn't be mad at the pick. Montae played great but he was hurt. I remember thinking we had a stud in KJ too.

Wow, for only 1 Alex ?

Thats all you had to say. 

I view Montae as a safety that dictates how an offense schemes things up from game to game. I really haven’t seen another guy cover as much ground athletically and as a football player (understanding angles, timing and disguising looks) in a long time. The injuries are a problem though (sucks). 

** KJ was going to be a great pro, more in the mold of a Ryan Clark type. 

I don’t know enough about those other guys, just seems to me safety is not a pick that can be made in first round. 

16 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Let me clarify a bit. Need is a relative term. I'm not exactly thrilled with how the positions currently look overall, but sometimes need is just about adding depth. Not adding a starter. Let me break down each position:

Completely on board with your post...  to also add:

QB - Drafting a mid to low round QB means that he needs time to develop. Its a huge positive to have him sit behind a solid starter like Smith that can show him the prep, leadership, etc of being an NFL QB.

Corner - I fully expect Norman to be gone next year with his contract going to 15 mil per year and him being allergic to Ints. There is real value to drafting a CB now high that can take over the #1 spot next year.

WR - Completely agree.. this is huge question mark. Neither WR is a true #1 and both have a lot to prove. We can get lucky and have Doctson break out, but i haven't seen anything to show that this is very likely. Reed just can be relied on to stay healthy at this point.

Oline - is the least of my concerns. If they draft O lineman in the first 4 rounds, ill be pissed. Too many holes on this team and they dont have the luxury of BPA picks. Skins can find an average Guard in FA or late in draft and the depth is already there.

@Jericho Fair enough.    At qb, I’d love to go for a Lualetta type, especially if we are able to trade back in the 1st and pick up a 3rd (or more/better), so I’m with you in that sense.  I would just say I don’t see it hurting the team this year if they don’t.  They can always address it next year, and that could be fine.  

WR - we seem to agree that our top two aren’t #1s.  So to me, it’s less that we need depth there, than we need a starter.  Doctson and Richardson become your #2/3 (which is quite good), Quick and Harris battle for 4, and Davis is your developmental guy with a lot of upside.  Crowder’s a fine starter, but there is some concern about who backs him up.  Bottom line though, this group probably isn’t worse than last year, may well be better, especially with the added speed, the young guys developing, and if you 1) improve the ground game and 2) get Reed and Thompson healthy.  

The corners are tricky...

Boundary corner - Norman’s healthy (improvement), the other spot depends on Moreau.  He should be better than last year, but does he start or become first guy off the bench?  Do we have some drop off from Breeland, or do we actually improve?  Scandrick isn’t a bad #4 there.  So there are questions here, but I’m ok with the unit overall (starters and depth).  

Slot corner -  we’re bound to have dropoff here. Question is, can Holsey or Scandrick be an adequate starter?  Depth should be marginally better as Scandrick is almost certainly an upgrade over rookie Holsey, or Holsey plays backup and is a bit further along than last year.  I could see this position being a problem in terms of who starts.

Adding to our DL, a healthy Nicholson, Swearinger playing SS full time, and Allen/Io back should help this unit out too.  

I do agree that adding a stud corner (Fitzpatrick/Ward) sets us up to move on from Norman next year.  Not a necessity, but could be really helpful.

Edit:  Let me sum it up this way - if we come out of rd 2 (including FA) having addressed all 3 of our top needs - receiver, DL and the run game - anything else is a bonus for me.   We could use a qb to take over for McCoy, we could us a slot corner and/or heir apparent for Norman, we could use a speed rusher, we could use better depth at ILB, we could use another Dlineman, we could use a well rounded TE, and so on.  I won’t be too concerned with any of that though.  Don’t know if that helps.  

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

IMO, Bree doesn't understand that one event is not his problem.  It's the series that add up and inconsistent play in a non-contact year.

Turning to Twitter never helped anybody.  Also, nobody is going to give him a deal like Carolina offered him, after the failed physical.  It is what it is.  Gonna have to man up like Ryan Grant and take that one year deal ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd pay 9 million a year to PFF's 3rd best run stuffer DT in the league who is 25 going on 26. 

I recall people talking about how Snacks Harrison was overpaid when the Giants signed him -- O. Vernon, too.  And those two flipped their team in one season from being pathetic as to stopping the run to being monster level good at it.  It fell apart last year for them like it did for everything though. 

Having said that the Kyle Raugh guy isn't a reporter, I just looked him up, he's got like 13 followers on twitter.

Good catch on the tweet about Hankins/Bears.  Hope we do cave in and pay the man what he got last year.  He deserves it.

2 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

Goskins10, Junior Gallette was referring to the fact that Trent Murphy is coming off a suspension for PEDS and a torn ACL/MCL and got 7 million a year off one good year 9.5 sacks.

Junior Gallette has NEVER been suspended for drugs and has way better career stats than Trent Murphy and the Redskins paid him vet minimum the two years he had achilles problems then didn't give him much playing time last year yet he was still 3rd in the NFL in QB pressures. All he was saying is give me fair compensation, pay me what my stats say I'm worth.

Some of you guys on this board kill me always want to lowball productive players (Gallette, Zack Brown, Breeland) "only sign them for team friendly deals" but other players (Cousins, Murphy, Long) "pay them whatever they want whatever it takes to keep them".

Very suspect to me, hmm!

He wasn't talking about Murphy. Murphy never used PEDs. 

He was talking about Vontae and posted the tweet minutes after the vontae suspension came through. 

Stop spreading fake news. Catch up on your rumors and news before making new ones. 

With that said, I don't want Junior back. I like the new signing. More solid vs the run. 

Archived