Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What was most head scratching in all that is they went in for the kill on both McGee and McClain early on in free agency and for who they are, were overpaid - even if its not a ton of money.

Yep and I find it interesting that the teams who buy into having monster D lines are the ones that are most desperate to add big players to strengthen their strength -- Panthers, Eagles, Vikings.

I am a bit jealous of the Vikings. I was a big L. Joseph guy years back and they take him.  Loved Dalvin Cook, they grabbed him.  We develop Kirk -- but he's theirs now.  My top FA was S. Richardson.  Looks like they got him, too.   When Jay and Zimmer took over their teams the same year they both were bottom of the barrel.  Now the Redskins have elevated to mediocre.  And the vikings look like a juggernaut.  Bruce when in doubt do what the Vkings do! :)

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I welcome the day us having too many good defensive lineman is an actual issue, because that day has not occurred in the past 2 decades, and I doubt will occur in the next 2.

Word. If they can get Logan that's the start of it. Next would be either giving the boys what they want and drafting there fellow Bama teammate or going with Vita. Hard choice but easy to see it happening, if they can bring in Bennie first. Otherwise all the eggs go into the pick 13 basket to fix the middle

2 hours ago, redskin301 said:

Per:PFT Drc doesn’t plan to sign a deal until April 

If offers are 3mill and someone offered 6mill, he would probably change his tune.  To me this comment is purely negotiating. 

To those saying it's inexcusable we haven't signed DL, don't forget they have to want to come here.  Not all players do...

Many talk about Logan being a player that anchors the middle, but doesn't get much pressure.  While it would be nice to get the guy that does it all, isn't a guy that clogs the middle something we all want?  I'm so tired of 3rd and 6+ or 4th & 27miles and teams run it because they know we can't stop them.  

Hate that Cincinatti got that deal with Buffalo, would have loved to move down this year as there is still going to be very good value at 21.  Still crossing my fingers somebody decides to do a Kansas City/Houston and jump up to grab their guy on the day and we can get some future capital out of it.

Logan would definitely be nice but would not offer a cent over $5 million.

tWe went into FA with in my opinion LG, NT, ILB and RB as our main priorities, Zack Brown is the only signing we have made. So let's say we don't sign Logan to help on DL, we then go into the draft needing to fill 3 major, major needs with 2 picks in first 3 rounds, and Muppet Allen still has a job ??

HTTR 

8 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Where did I advocate anything to do with Phil Taylor?

It's a simple question of what his current status is at this time.  Is he still a Redskin?  I had thought he signed a two year deal but I may be wrong.

You said, you thought he was awesome and think the Skins should sign him long term to a lucrative deal because he is the missing piece.

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

tWe went into FA with in my opinion LG, NT, ILB and RB as our main priorities, Zack Brown is the only signing we have made. So let's say we don't sign Logan to help on DL, we then go into the draft needing to fill 3 major, major needs with 2 picks in first 3 rounds, and Muppet Allen still has a job ??

HTTR 

Not sure how on earth you wouldn't consider WR being their biggest need in FA.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and I find it interesting that the teams who buy into having monster D lines are the ones that are most desperate to add big players to strengthen their strength -- Panthers, Eagles, Vikings.

I am a bit jealous of the Vikings. I was a big L. Joseph guy years back and they take him.  Loved Dalvin Cook, they grabbed him.  We develop Kirk -- but he's theirs now.  My top FA was S. Richardson.  Looks like they got him, too.   When Jay and Zimmer took over their teams the same year they both were bottom of the barrel.  Now the Redskins have elevated to mediocre.  And the vikings look like a juggernaut.  Bruce when in doubt do what the Vkings do! :)

Misrepresenting the situations for Jay and Zimmer a little. Jay inherited a team who had lost a dearth of early draft picks due to the RG3 trade and we were also still wrestling with the cap penalty. Zimmer didn’t have that and if I remember correctly had loaded up on first round picks in a two year span. 

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

I don't get it. We need a NT, theres a proven commodity on FA and we're not signing him. We clearly have the cap space with room to burn even on the high end of his market value and still no Logan. 

I just don't understand. Still could sign him and draft rookie to fill in for the eventual Mc's cuts. I just don't understand

Doug and Jay both clearly said our run defense needs upgrading. WTF, just get it done

My theory:

1) they don’t want to offer enough money to offset our 3rd rd compared pick

2) there are several options that will be available in rd 1 or 2

3) Bruce is cheap

4) they realize that a 3rd OLB is important and Galette came on really strong toward the end of the season

5) they need to address the slot corner position.  If they struggle at this position, trading Fuller will look even worse, and...

6) In order to afford Cromartie (and maybe Galette too), they can’t sign Logan to (relatively) big money

Regardless of whether Vea or Payne will be BPA when we pick, I can almost guarantee they draft one of them.  Distant 2nd option - they trade back and draft a DL and back in the 1st three rounds.  I kind of like this option because we could address DL, RB and G with those picks.  It’s even possible Vea or Payne will still be available further down in the 1st, but there are some other options as well.  Getting off topic, so I’ll stop there.  

14 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

If offers are 3mill and someone offered 6mill, he would probably change his tune.  To me this comment is purely negotiating. 

To those saying it's inexcusable we haven't signed DL, don't forget they have to want to come here.  Not all players do...

Many talk about Logan being a player that anchors the middle, but doesn't get much pressure.  While it would be nice to get the guy that does it all, isn't a guy that clogs the middle something we all want?  I'm so tired of 3rd and 6+ or 4th & 27miles and teams run it because they know we can't stop them.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Butz

Dave Butz

DaveButz.jpg

Member of the NFL's all 80's decade team, who had a career 35 sacks says he approved that message :cheers: 

We don't need another pass rusher. We got those. We need that big old nasty dude that plugs up the middle and eats running backs for breakfast and pushes the offensive line back into the QB. That's what they need. What they have is a few guys who get pushed out of the way when the opposing team wants to run the ball and that's not gonna work. 

Tried to send PM but it's either full or you have them turned off. 

Thanks for everything you do on this thread. Quick question (pun intended) - Are you going to add Brian Quick since he has been resigned? I saw Zach so I figured you would do the same for Brian. 

For some reason, this teams' philosophy (now continuing with three DCs) is to believe in the 34 Defense, but not believe in the need for a NT. It's kind of baffling... and I know we aren't primarily lined up in a 34, but it's still what we call ourselves and act like.

It should be doable to trade rds 4-6 for rd 3.  With proper scouting, we can get starters at NT/DT, LG, and RB with our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.  The two 7th rounders are developmental/take-a-gamble-on picks.  Along with Richardson, Zach Brown back, and healthy guys returning, we're better off than last year.  If we stay healthy, we can compete for the paloffs.

2 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Misrepresenting the situations for Jay and Zimmer a little. Jay inherited a team who had lost a dearth of early draft picks due to the RG3 trade and we were also still wrestling with the cap penalty. Zimmer didn’t have that and if I remember correctly had loaded up on first round picks in a two year span. 

It's not about Zimmer versus Jay to me but the two front offices.  And I can't grade the Redskins front office on a curve because of their own mistakes as for trading away picks. But yeah none of this IMO is on Jay at all.  He's not running the FO. 

To your point from 2014 through 2017.   The Redskins traded away one of the first rounders for a QB.  So did the Vikings and more on top of that.  If anything the Vikings squandered a bit more as for draft capital during that span because they traded a 1st and 4th for Bradford.  And the extra #1 you mentioned they had didn't drop out of the sky -- it was for trading up for the last pick of the first and they gave up a 2nd and 4th to do it. 

So during that span (2014 thru 2017) the Vikings gave up:  a 1st, a 2nd and two 4th rounders.

the Redskins lost a first. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Tried to send PM but it's either full or you have them turned off. 

Thanks for everything you do on this thread. Quick question (pun intended) - Are you going to add Brian Quick since he has been resigned? I saw Zach so I figured you would do the same for Brian. 

@DC9 ^^

@jsharrin55Yeah, this angle has been a little... odd to me.  Sure, we want the pass rushing threat in addition to run stopping (and recognize the latter is more important), but then we say Logan isn’t worth a bunch of money, or we downgrade Vea (or whoever) because of the perceived lack of pass rush.  

Bottom line, we were 7th in the league at sacking the qb with Hood at NT, and we sucked at stopping the run.  

If we add a NT that isn’t a pass rusher, are they really going to be worse than Hood?

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My theory:

1) they don’t want to offer enough money to offset our 3rd rd compared pick

2) there are several options that will be available in rd 1 or 2

3) Bruce is cheap

4) they realize that a 3rd OLB is important and Galette came on really strong toward the end of the season

5) they need to address the slot corner position.  If they struggle at this position, trading Fuller will look even worse, and...

6) In order to afford Cromartie (and maybe Galette too), they can’t sign Logan to (relatively) big money

Regardless of whether Vea or Payne will be BPA when we pick, I can almost guarantee they draft one of them.  Distant 2nd option - they trade back and draft a DL and back in the 1st three rounds.  I kind of like this option because we could address DL, RB and G with those picks.  It’s even possible Vea or Payne will still be available further down in the 1st, but there are some other options as well.  Getting off topic, so I’ll stop there.  

all of that is what am thinking too.  We've posted in the draft thread all the smoke surrounding the FO likely loving Vea.  If they don't sign a DL FA.  I'd bet money that's what they are thinking.

Doug flat out said they need help at DT and they couldn't stop the run.

4 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

It should be doable to trade rds 4-6 for rd 3.  With proper scouting, we can get starters at NT/DT, LG, and RB with our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.  The two 7th rounders are developmental/take-a-gamble-on picks.  Along with Richardson, Zach Brown back, and healthy guys returning, we're better off than last year.  If we stay healthy, we can compete for the paloffs.

No. You have to trust your scouting department to get guys who can contribute and you need the depth across the board. The draft, and who you select in Rounds 4/5/6 has the potential to be quality depth and/or starters who we are looking to replace the next batch of Grant/Long/Breeland/Murphy who leave in free agency each year.

Don't write off Round 4. We've gotten starters there many a time. Montae Nicholson was our 4th rounder last year and he's going to be our starting FS this year and he's a guy says the defense will be built around like Reed is on offense when he's healthy.

I'm all for trading #13 back and trying to recoup a 3rd + 4th or 5th. Or even a 2nd if we're lucky. But I'm not for trading mid-round picks to get back into the 3rd. No way.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So during that span (2014 thru 2017) the Vikings gave up:  a 1st, a 2nd and two 4th rounders.

the Redskins lost a first. 

I was mentioning this the other day, they also wasted a 1st rounder on Teddy, it's amazing they are where they are but if you look at how they distribute money their big contracts are all below market value based on the production (Except Kirk).

There are some quality NTs in this draft. Guys like BJ Hill should be there in the 4th round. They won't be world-beaters out of the gate, but we don't need that from our NT. I'm actually more on board with getting a Harrison Phillips type to line-up opposite Allen, moving Ionidis to backup, and then getting a NT in the 4th or 5th round.

it's why I was advocating for Sheldon Richardson > Poe or Logan. NT is just not a staple of this defense. But if you can find a mid-round guy who can play there for you and still hold ground on some passing downs great.

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There are some quality NTs in this draft. Guys like BJ Hill should be there in the 4th round. They won't be world-beaters out of the gate, but we don't need that from our NT. I'm actually more on board with getting a Harrison Phillips type to line-up opposite Allen, moving Ionidis to backup, and then getting a NT in the 4th or 5th round.

it's why I was advocating for Sheldon Richardson > Poe or Logan. NT is just not a staple of this defense. But if you can find a mid-round guy who can play there for you and still hold ground on some passing downs great.

Is Phillips the guy you think will be at our 2nd rounder?

If so, RB 1, dt 2 works as I mentioned.

This would mean little else in FA which is what I expect at this point.  If so, I think it's nice in a bubble, but I want NAP, so don't mind getting a few DRC types so nothing needs to be forced. I

Edit:  while I do want a nap, I meant BPA. 

Personally I think they can use both a NT and DT.   But a DT like Richardson who can both stop the run and rush the passer would be ideal for me.  If not a pure run stuffing nose type like Logan would work, too. So I am not greedy -- I want one D lineman.  :) This tweet below summarizes the issue for me.  Though don't agree that its Payne -- looks like the tea leaves is more Vea. 

Cmon Skins please add a defensive lineman... don’t force yourselves to draft Payne at 13.

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Glad the Zach Brown Band was re-signed. Seems like a fair deal.

Agreed. And it sends a good message to prospective free agents and current players. Do your job and you will be rewarded. Personally, I think Brown got overpaid. there is no denying his run stuffing ability. But he is a liability in the passing game.

Archived