Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t live in Loudoun. 

I didn’t watch any political ads. 

I’m basing it on everything I read, and the people I know. Including what I read here. 

Yeah, the left made immigration issues a pretty big rallying cry from what I saw. 

And the result is only 48% of people think they’re right about the policies, and only 21% thought the overall issue was the most important one. 

I'm in Texas - you know, the place with the border. I don't think Beto mentioned immigration once in any ad. Cruz mentioned it constantly. The GOP has spent three years trying to convince every suburbanite in America that MS13 is tunneling into their backyards to rape their daughters.

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

That's insane. She hurts the Dems as much as she helps them now. If people in rural whatever know who she is from the ads that say "This Dem will bring your Pelosi taxes and liberal whatever", and it appears to work for the 3rd cycle in a row. Why would it not be the same in 2 years?

100% do not support her being the speaker.

There really isn't anyone left who is capable to replace her right now. Crowley would have been a logical replacement but he lost his primary. Maybe Jim Clyburn or even Tim Ryan?

52 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The left needs to accept and then figure out how to change this fact-  There is a huge percentage of people who hate their ****ing guts for no good reason.  But they still hate them.  Bill Maher is one of the few people on the left trying to get this point across.

Look I don’t disagree. Political discourse is rock bottom. I think the left accepts that the hardcore GOP voter base (mostly white, rural) loathes us.

But at the end of the day, the left is not responsible for who wins primaries on the right. The GOP transitioned to a white nationalist party largely on its own.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm in Texas - you know, the place with the border. I don't think Beto mentioned immigration once in any ad. Cruz mentioned it constantly. The GOP has spent three years trying to convince every suburbanite in America that MS13 is tunneling into their backyards to rape their daughters.

This is correct.  The right desperately wanted to make the election about immigration, meaning fear of the other.

The left desperately wanted to make the election about healthcare, and used the words "preexisting conditions" roughly a billion times.

538 studied the topics most used by both sides in ads.  Among Dems, healthcare was far and away the dominant topic.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-the-campaign-ads-dominating-2018/

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

There are things called primaries. Corey Stewart didn't magically appear on the ballot.

Primaries are what causes people like Corey Stewart to get on the ballot in the first place.  Primaries are the cause that people like Corey Stewart are the symptom of.

Scott Walker losing made a sort of pretty good evening into a great morning.

Also, a friend of mine who our locate state house district by 44 votes, beating an incumbent R.

The story of the night for me is Beto's coat tails. If he had been the typical sacrificial lamb with 40 percent of the vote none of this happens in Texas. Two House seats flipped - including seat that had been Republican since George HW Bush won it..10 state house seats flipped, ending the supermajority there. Dems won every single office in Harris County where I live, including all the judgeships. It was a total wipe out and the Republican Party basically no longer exists in the third largest city in the country. I think we gained a state senate seat. Basically all the state-wide offices - except governor which is kind of meaningless here anyway - were close enough for the Democrats to really think they are all winnable in the future. 5 and 6 points versus the usually 15 to 20.

The Democrats in Texas have a path forward now. All the big cities are completely Blue. San Antonio just tossed out a "Tough on Crime" prosecutor for a "sentence reform" prosecutor. The border area is blue. The suburbs around Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin are turning purple. That's where the future is. Start winning there and you can win statewide office again.

The state House and Senate are always going to be tough, because rural texas is so vast and so deep red. But turn the suburbs blue, and we are suddenly Pennsylvania politically.

And if that happens, the national GOP is dead. Texas can't be up for grabs if NY, CA, and IL are solid blue. The electoral math no longer works.

I think it's time to declare Missouri a full-fledged red state. Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada are now full-fledged blue states. I can live with that trade, I think.

The upper Midwest was really good to Dems. Michigan and Minnesota were cobalt blue. Wisconsin finally kicked out Walker. That's good for 2020.

A Trump toady in the statehouse in Florida is bad. I wish I understand Ohio better.

This prick in West Virginia who I've been harassing on Twitter for a year lost his state senate seat.

Last night was a good first step for Dems to get some checks and balances in place but what worries me if what happened in Ohio and Florida, you can't let Trump win those states in 2020.

The governorship and Senate were lost by 50,000 and 30,000 votes, Dems need to focus on Pinellas and Hillsborough County, they are both light blue and if you turn them a bit darker you have your victory, no need to worry about the rural portion of the state.

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is correct.  The right desperately wanted to make the election about immigration, meaning fear of the other.

The left desperately wanted to make the election about healthcare, and used the words "preexisting conditions" roughly a billion times.

538 studied the topics most used by both sides in ads.  Among Dems, healthcare was far and away the dominant topic.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-the-campaign-ads-dominating-2018/

But what was the media talking about?

16 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Be curious to hear what "Everything I've  read" consisted of...

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Look I don’t disagree. Political discourse is rock bottom. I think the left accepts that the hardcore GOP voter base (mostly white, rural) loathes us.

But at the end of the day, the left is not responsible for who wins primaries on the right. The GOP transitioned to a white nationalist party largely on its own.

You know what?  I don’t like them either.  I don’t like country music, I don’t hunt for sport or food, I don’t fish often, I prefer a car over a pick up truck, I avoid fast food, I can’t stand Walmart, I prefer a fast paced life, I’m not religious, I like meeting people with different racial and ethnic backgrounds.

I like their pretty mountains and skiiing and hiking.  That’s it.

Just now, Springfield said:

Primaries are what causes people like Corey Stewart to get on the ballot in the first place.  Primaries are the cause that people like Corey Stewart are the symptom of. 

Voters are who elect them though. You advocating for parties choosing the candidates?

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trump sounds sad.

Cause he knows he's going to not be able to pass anything and Dems will be on his ass for 2 years. No more stooges running interference for him.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Trump.  For better or worse. 

Not just Trump.  But how Trump was talking about the caravan.  It was constant.  So while the Dem candidates may have been trying to make Healthcare the talking point, the media was off on a tangent.

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Voters are who elect them though. You advocating for parties choosing the candidates?

I’m just saying that if you tell republicans to pick between two republicans, the most fascist and right leaning republicans will win. Reason being is that the other republican is clearly a “democrat”.

Its a race to the bottom over there.  They are going far right as fast as they possibly can.

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

Not just Trump.  But how Trump was talking about the caravan.  It was constant.  So while the Dem candidates may have been trying to make Healthcare the talking point, the media was off on a tangent.

You consume different media than I do. 

17 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Democrats in Texas have a path forward now. All the big cities are completely Blue. San Antonio just tossed out a "Tough on Crime" prosecutor for a "sentence reform" prosecutor. The border area is blue. The suburbs around Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin are turning purple. That's where the future is. Start winning there and you can win statewide office again.

I think this point can't be understated.   A Beto win would have been huge, but if you pull back and look at Texas as a whole? The demographics there are changing.  It is rapidly heading towards being a purple/toss-up state sort of like Florida.  It has been a red stronghold for so long now that it has usually been taken for granted the way CA or NY has been by Democrats.   If Texas ends up going blue in a national election, it is going to throw everything off for the GOP.  Not sure how they will make up losing those electoral votes without winning every single battleground state.  Probably still a handful of election cycles from happening, but that is where Texas is trending.

Pelosi cant be the speaker of the house .... she has to go to the fringe.

Where is the new Dem blood that is not Ellison or the lady from some neighborhood in NYC (that seems to be the face of the Dems that Fox is trying to brand her as) ...... Schumer from NYC is not good either.

If only Tim Kaine was in the house. Yes, I think the Dems need a white man as their lead and President elect ... or someone as clean and awesome as Obama, but I dont see that transfigurative person in the Dem party right now. I want to win in 2020 and elizabeth warren or ellison = a loss.

Archived