Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

14 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Not just Trump.  But how Trump was talking about the caravan.  It was constant.  So while the Dem candidates may have been trying to make Healthcare the talking point, the media was off on a tangent.

Well I guess that just shows that the media is not a left wing mouthpiece like so many of you think 

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Pelosi cant be the speaker of the house .... she has to go to the fringe.

Where is the new Dem blood that is not Ellison or the lady from some neighborhood in NYC (that seems to be the face of the Dems that Fox is trying to brand her as) ...... Schumer from NYC is not good either.

If only Tim Kaine was in the house. Yes, I think the Dems need a white man as their lead and President elect ... or someone as clean and awesome as Obama, but I dont see that transfigurative person in the Dem party right now. I want to win in 2020 and elizabeth warren or ellison = a loss.

Occasio-Cortez can’t be the speaker, she’s currently the youngest member of the Dem house. As much as I like her, she doesn’t have the clout or experience for that. 

I really don’t know who they make speaker tho. I’d go with Pelosi for 6 months and then have her turn it over to someone else. She can still make deals and pull some strings behind the scenes but it’s best for the party that she is not front and center. I hate that that is for case but she’s been branded as evil in the gop propaganda machine for 15+ or so years now so she’s just too toxic. She can still do everything she needs to do behind the scenes. Plus it would be a nice moment having her hand off to someone else. 

2 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yeah just no way the universe could let Beto win. Dude woulda been an instant political rock star.

He’s still a rock star. That’s why they need to put him on the VP ticket for 2020. Imagine what he did in Texas and doing that in Florida, PA, Ohio in 2020

Dems need to find their candidate quick and put Beto on the VP and let him get on the campaign trail as early as possible. He’s generational. You may have him 10-15 years if you’re lucky, you have to take advantage and maximize his talents 

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He’s still a rock star. That’s why they need to put him on the VP ticket for 2020. Imagine what he did in Texas and doing that in Florida, PA, Ohio in 2020

Dems need to find their candidate quick and put Beto on the VP and let him get on the campaign trail as early as possible. He’s generational. You may have him 10-15 years if you’re lucky, you have to take advantage and maximize his talents 

Why not top of the ticket?

43 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is correct.  The right desperately wanted to make the election about immigration, meaning fear of the other.

The left desperately wanted to make the election about healthcare, and used the words "preexisting conditions" roughly a billion times.

538 studied the topics most used by both sides in ads.  Among Dems, healthcare was far and away the dominant topic.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-the-campaign-ads-dominating-2018/

**** all that noise. What about all that left wing media? 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Is Beto still a congressman?

I get that he's still a star. Defeating Cruz in Texas tho would of made him into a super nova or quasar. Which evers brighter. Idk sciences....

Just now, clietas said:

Is Beto still a congressman?

I get that he's still a star. Defeating Cruz in Texas tho would of made him into a super nova or quasar. Which evers brighter. Idk sciences....

He is until this January.  Then he's unemployed and sitting on tens of millions of dollars of campaign funds. 

Just now, HOF44 said:

Trump was right when he said he could shoot someone in the middle of the street on camera and he would be fine.  I don't think there is anything he can say or do that would dissuade his base from rabidly supporting him.  

Pretty much. Trump could say he's bigger than Jesus. On Christmas.  Then make Christmas his birthday. Followed by a round the clock Trump worship. He'd still be their hero.

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I just don’t like running him right off a Senate loss. Plus he doesn’t have as much experience. I think you can maximize Beto’s political career by putting him on the VP and then, ideally, he gets his Presidential shot in 2028. 

I get that.  But he's been in Congress for six years, and in politics since 2005.  He seems to have the right message and the right ability to deliver it.  He's likable in a way that the other obvious Dem candidates aren't.  He makes the left wet even though he ran a campaign aimed at winning the middle.  His 2020 opponent's experience prior to becoming President was "TV huckster."  

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Pelosi will get Speaker again but I hope like hell they groom Joe Kennedy and other younger members to take over in the near future. She's an effective leader but she's also to easilyy a target for GOP campaigns.

I think Pelosi has been unfairly tarred and feathered. She’s not the villain or caricature she’s painted to be. That said, it’d be great if she were not Speaker and the Dems turned a new page. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Howard Fienman on Tony Kornheisers show was interesting. Said Trump won last night - performed better than average for a midterm and that means something about how angry anti trump people are. 

As I've noted before, the "better than average" argument is stupid because of the rampant gerrymandering since 2011. It's not a win when the President goes from having control of both houses of Congress to having control of one.  

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I get that.  But he's been in Congress for six years, and in politics since 2005.  He seems to have the right message and the right ability to deliver it.  He's likable in a way that the other obvious Dem candidates aren't.  He makes the left wet even though he ran a campaign aimed at winning the middle.  His 2020 opponent's experience prior to becoming President was "TV huckster."  

Well he also said Monday he absolutely wouldn’t run for president in 2020....but he didn’t say VP ?

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I just don’t think Trump performed better than average. The margin was the second largest in 30 years and well higher of recent GOP waves. The only recent we didn’t end up with as many seats was dude to gerrymandering and voter suppression. 

The Dem votes turned out and they were there. 

Like Hillary winning the popular vote, that number isnt that relevant.  Did they run up the score in CA again?  I havent seen a breakdown of close races.  There were certainly alot more D voters than R voters.  But unless those voters plan on moving before the next election, what does it matter?

Trump complains the media doesn't cover the economy, but he openly said he didn't want to talk about the economy because it wasn't sexy enough.  Maybe if he drew attention to it and talked about it more rather than the caravan, maybe it would get covered to his liking.

Anybody read this laundry list of things House Dems will be investigating next year?

I remember hearing that Elijah Cummings will take over House Oversight Committee. He had like 61 subpoeana requests these past two years and none were approved, but that all changes now.

Archived