Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Well he also said Monday he absolutely wouldn’t run for president in 2020....but he didn’t say VP ?

Well that's the thing to say when you are trying to win a different job.  Ted Cruz probably said the same thing in 2012 and he's never not been running for President. 

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think this point can't be understated.   A Beto win would have been huge, but if you pull back and look at Texas as a whole? The demographics there are changing.  It is rapidly heading towards being a purple/toss-up state sort of like Florida.  It has been a red stronghold for so long now that it has usually been taken for granted the way CA or NY has been by Democrats.   If Texas ends up going blue in a national election, it is going to throw everything off for the GOP.  Not sure how they will make up losing those electoral votes without winning every single battleground state.  Probably still a handful of election cycles from happening, but that is where Texas is trending.

Now, there is an element of fool's gold here.

Texas has been a Dem dream based on demographics for close to 15 years. And it's just gotten more and more Republican. But - as I said - there is a path now.

What Beto did was end the argument of "You need a conservative Democrat." Beto was an out and out ****ing liberal who swore on the ****ing stump and on MSNBC. A liberal Latino from the valley got within two points of the most conservative, most focused politician possibly in Texas history. I hate Cruz with a passion, but he's a nightmare to run against, because he is never going to make a mistake. He has 72 specific talking points memorized, and he answers every question with one of those 72 talking points. He never even changes the wording or the inflection in his voice. He's a robot.

The only person who has ever shaken him is Trump and that's because Trump basically walked up to him and kicked him in the nuts. It's hard to imagine any Democratic politician saying, "Your wife is ugly and your dad killed Kennedy," because my god. But that's what it takes to get Cruz off message.

There are thousands of capable liberals in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and Corpus Christie. But until this year, I think we've all believed that we have to find our little gerrymandered hives and do the best we can there. The State DNC - for what it was - basically saw Texas Democrats in two flavors. You had minorities for those specific districts (Shelia Jackson Lee, Al Green, etc) and then you had old yellow dog Democrats who remembered voting for Lloyd Bentson. Somehow, that was supposed to be a state-wide party.

That's over. My friend that won is a white working mother. A young black dude beat a 20 year congressman in the Dallas suburbs. Beto is 14 different nationalities at once. College-educated diverse suburbanites and urban dwellers who don't necessarily go to a mega-church. There are apparently millions of us in Texas, and we found each other this year.

Now, it's up to the state party to actually unite these people.

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

Anybody read this laundry list of things House Dems will be investigating next year?

I remember hearing that Elijah Cummings will take over House Oversight Committee. He had like 61 subpoeana requests these past two years and none were approved, but that all changes now.

Im sure investigation ad nauseum will help the Dems in 2 years.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm in Texas - you know, the place with the border. I don't think Beto mentioned immigration once in any ad. Cruz mentioned it constantly. The GOP has spent three years trying to convince every suburbanite in America that MS13 is tunneling into their backyards to rape their daughters.

And for 10 years they were the only party that was saving America from 9/11. 

Despite the fact that 9/11 happened on their watch, that they fought for years against creating DHS, and their response to 9/11 was to use it as an excuse to start a war (and immediately abandon it), and then start another war (against somebody who didn't have anything to do with it). 

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

Im sure investigation ad nauseum will help the Dems in 2 years.

Try reading first, it might not be exactly how you think. They're being smart for the most part and making sure their investigations have merit and are substantive. Some stuff will be a political lighting rod for sure though. But, who cares that's going to happen regardless due to our highly polarized political landscape.

22 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yeah just no way the universe could let Beto win. Dude woulda been an instant political rock star.

I would immediately make Beto the head of the DNC. I'm not sure I necessarily want to put him into some grudge match with Trump in 2020. I just don't think anyone can come out of one-on-one contest with Trump with an dignity left. I'd almost let an old street fighter like Biden do that.

But Beto did 70 campaign events in the last 6 days. He raised $70 million for what seemed like a doomed campaign. That guy is tireless and a money making machine. And he is telegenic as hell. Make him the face of the party. Make him a national star without an office.

That's the problem with Texas right now. It's not Virginia. You can't be governor for four years, then a Senator for 12, and then a cabinet secretary. There is no real statewide platform for a Dem. Beto needs a big platform.

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

Try reading first, it might not be exactly how you think. They're being smart for the most part and making sure their investigations have merit and are substantive. Some stuff will be a political lighting rod for sure though. But, who cares that's going to happen regardless due to our highly polarized political landscape.

Who will decide if they are substantive and have merit?  Trump desperately wants this to become a constant battle of investigations.  He NEEDS a foil.

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As I've noted before, the "better than average" argument is stupid because of the rampant gerrymandering since 2011. It's not a win when the President goes from having control of both houses of Congress to having control of one.  

The argument is stupid? It’s how the game is played. It’s how the results are determined.

the last part of that seams overly simplistic, i tend to look for more. But you’re not wrong ;) 

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I just don’t think Trump performed better than average. The margin was the second largest in 30 years and well higher of recent GOP waves. The only recent we didn’t end up with as many seats was dude to gerrymandering and voter suppression. 

The Dem votes turned out and they were there. 

The people selling that "Trump won" narrative are the same people telling you gerrymandering and voter suppression doesnt exist so really there is no point. 

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Who will decide if they are substantive and have merit?  Trump desperately wants this to become a constant battle of investigations.  He NEEDS a foil.

Yup, that's true as well. As far as the 2020 election goes, the who that matters most when it comes to deciding merit will be the swing votes I'd wager. The investigations on Sessions refusal to protect the ACA will have merit to those people, same as the investigations into Betsy Devos and student loans. Will the foreign policy investigations have traction with them, namely Kashoggi and North Korea? Who knows, I doubt it will hurt. 

Now the Kavanaugh thing will be touch and go, as well as the things directly assaulting Trump's position, but some things are just going to be a trade off when it comes to which base it energizes.

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The people selling that "Trump won" narrative are the same people telling you gerrymandering and voter suppression doesnt exist so really there is no point. 

They will also want to describe how Trump actually won the popular vote, but illegals voting illegally (they don't see that as redundant) skewed the results. 

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Pelosi can barely string two sentences together. Please step aside.

Agree. I'm having trouble following her. 

Pelisi mentions infrastructure. IMO, that would be a great thing for the Dems to lead off with. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

You know what?  I don’t like them either.  I don’t like country music, I don’t hunt for sport or food, I don’t fish often, I prefer a car over a pick up truck, I avoid fast food, I can’t stand Walmart, I prefer a fast paced life, I’m not religious, I like meeting people with different racial and ethnic backgrounds.

I like their pretty mountains and skiiing and hiking.  That’s it.

You and I would be friends 

By the way, remember that big Georgia election that the Dems through money at and barely lost in 2017? They won it last night.

They also beat the guy who beat Cantor in Virginia.

They also beat Putin's second best friend in DC, Dana Rohrabacher. 

Here is potentially the biggest story of the night that is getting missed. Florida reinstated voting rights to something like 1.5 million felons. I've read that something like 20 percent of black men in Florida are impacted by this. That honestly changes the demographics there considerably going forward.

I completely agree that Pelosi has been unfairly demonized and tarred and feathered by the right for a long long time. But I also believe her time is done when it comes to being Speaker. She hardly seems coherent and the Dems need some sort of fresh younger leadership. She's been very talented at keeping the rank and file in line but it's time to pass the torch I think.

46 minutes ago, tshile said:

The argument is stupid? It’s how the game is played. It’s how the results are determined.

It's how the game is played recently.  Which is why using an average going back decades is not comparing apples to apples.  And, in any event, usually average losses are perceived to be huge defeats for the party in power. 

46 minutes ago, tshile said:

the last part of that seams overly simplistic, i tend to look for more. But you’re not wrong ;) 

All of the arguments that go beyond that very simple point, are spin.  

Archived