Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Sure. 

But you guys sit around and belittle them day in and day out

then act shocked when they support someone like Corey Stewart. 

I’m not saying they’re right or smart or anything like that. I’m just genuinely baffled that you all struggle so much with this. It’s really an easy situation. 

You all attack and deman them nonstop and are for policies that they are directly opposed to. You call them racists, inbred, mysognistic, etc. 

and you may be, probably are, right. 

But the side effect of that is that someone like Corey Stewart is able to gather their support. 

If you want their vote, or if you want them to stop supporting raging lunatic racists, maybe reconsider your approach. 

If if you don’t that’s fine too I’ll just keep poking fun at you guys.  

Exxxxactly.  It's hilarious when people belittle the **** out of the other side, the people they want to see things their way and then genuinely have no clue why they don't vote for their team.  And are PISSED about it.  

Which is why I described rural people to No Excuses in such a manner.  Because his out and out disdain for them isn't about to win any of them over (assuming they can find the on-switch on a computer, don't have dial-up and can read well enough to navigate the internet and find this forum).

I really don't like Matt Taibbi, I think he's a big whiner.  But the article he wrote for Rolling Stone after the 2016 election about how they got it wrong was absolutely fantastic, IMO.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/president-trump-how-america-got-it-so-wrong-112032/

When 60 Minutes did its election-eve story about the mood of the electorate, they had to call up a familiar Beltway figure, pollster Frank Luntz, to put together a focus group. Luntz’s purpose was to take the white-hot rage and disgust hurled at him by voters on both sides of the aisle during the “focus group” portion, and translate it all into a media-speak during the sit-down. Luntz did his job and gave Steve Kroft his sound-bite diagnosis of The People’s temperature. “That’s not blowing off steam,” he said. “That is a deep-seated resentment.”

Deep-seated resentment. There was a catchy, succinct line, over which we could all collectively stroke our chins in quiet contemplation. That’s as opposed to what the voters intended, which was to sock us all so hard for our snobbism and intellectual myopia that those very chins of ours would get driven straight through the backs of our skulls.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So what should the Dem/liberal approach be to get rural voters? They absolutely love the **** out an amoral racist ****bag of a person in POTUS, they vote for racist ****bags over and over who support policies that actually harm them, they listen to echo chamber right wing sites that simply repeat that same ****bag POTUS's lies nonstop, and hence think that all liberals are purely evil and want to let in brown people so they can rape and murder their wives and daughters and take their jobs. 

Talking policy doesn't help because they don't seem to even listen and it is completely blunted by the pure emotional vitriol coming from "their side". Should the Dems pretend to be racist assholes as well? And if they want to stop being labeled as racists and misogynists maybe they should stop openly supporting racists and misogynists. 

Those people are forever gone. The key is existing Democrats need to stop being so damn lazy and show up for each election. 

19 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, so your argument is that since the Dems didn’t blow the Republicans out an win in landslides across the country then they didn’t win?

A win is a win.

And last night was a win.

Was it everything we absolutely wanted? No

But was it a win?

Yes.

The Redskins are 5-3. 

I read a lot here but, rarely, if ever post. I live in Virginia's most rural district, the 9th and thought I should weigh in on some of the comments here. In our race we had a local farmer (Anthony Flaccavento) who held hundreds of town halls and was very energized and a moderate to take on the incumbent Republican Morgan Griffith, who by all accounts has accomplished very little to nothing for our district. Mr. Flaccavento garnered endorsements for several groups, including the UMWA, optimism locally was somewhat high heading into last night. When the ballots were cast the incumbent won by a 65-35 margin.

I said that to say this, there is zero hope for a Democrat to win in rural Appalachia at this point, zero. Party politics play too large of a role,the people of my area continue to get poorer, continue to have less opportunity for upward movement and continue to vote Republican.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So what should the Dem/liberal approach be to get rural voters? 

Whatever happens with the rural vote, they need to do the exact opposite of what they did in 2016: stay on the offensive and aggressively campaign on jobs and health care, which were both top priorities for voters this election. They need to convey very clearly that those votes matter to them. 

Focusing on attack ads, immigration and gun control will kill them. They only need to take a handful of states they didn't in 2016 to turn the tide and they're full of impoverished white people, many of whom have blue collar Democrat backgrounds. That's where the effort needs to go. 

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

They rally around terrible racist candidates in the primary, too.  Nick Frietas was a damn Green Beret and couldn’t get over the hump against Stewart.

Why?  Cause of the libs, obviously!

https://results.elections.virginia.gov/vaelections/2018 June Republican Primary/Site/United States Senate.html

Big bad liberals making people vote for garbage candidates.

14 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Maybe start by not calling them racist.

Maybe start by not sticking their foot into that slipper and demonstrating how well it fits. 

Not supporting a man who's signature issue is that he's deploying the army to erect barbed wire to protect you from the scary brown rapists who are only four months from the border. 

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Maybe start by not calling them racist.

Maybe start by not sticking their foot into that slipper and demonstrating how well it fits. 

Not supporting a man who's signature issue is that he's deploying the army to erect barbed wire to protect you from the scary brown rapists who are only four months from the border. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfanfrombirth said:

I read a lot here but, rarely, if ever post. I live in Virginia's most rural district, the 9th and thought I should weigh in on some of the comments here. In our race we had a local farmer (Anthony Flaccavento) who held hundreds of town halls and was very energized and a moderate to take on the incumbent Republican Morgan Griffith, who by all accounts has accomplished very little to nothing for our district. Mr. Flaccavento garnered endorsements for several groups, including the UMWA, optimism locally was somewhat high heading into last night. When the ballots were cast the incumbent won by a 65-35 margin.

I said that to say this, there is zero hope for a Democrat to win in rural Appalachia at this point, zero. Party politics play too large of a role,the people of my area continue to get poorer, continue to have less opportunity for upward movement and continue to vote Republican.

How much national money was spent in that campaign? We had a fairly close race here in Central Kentucky, Barr v. McGrath. The ads against her were nearly all “liberal”, “Pelosi”, “abortion”, “Hillary”. What did yours look like?

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So what should the Dem/liberal approach be to get rural voters? They absolutely love the **** out an amoral racist ****bag of a person in POTUS, they vote for racist ****bags over and over who support policies that actually harm them, they listen to echo chamber right wing sites that simply repeat that same ****bag POTUS's lies nonstop, and hence think that all liberals are purely evil and want to let in brown people so they can rape and murder their wives and daughters and take their jobs. 

Talking policy doesn't help because they don't seem to even listen and it is completely blunted by the pure emotional vitriol coming from "their side". Should the Dems pretend to be racist assholes as well? And if they want to stop being labeled as racists and misogynists maybe they should stop openly supporting racists and misogynists. 

I get the anger.  I feel it too, intensely.  I'm a liberal from the part of the state that's as red as the devil's asshole.  I grew up in a small, very pale blue bubble within that big sea of lava, so I got a little bit of a more worldly perspective.  But I feel like I understand that part of the state better than most of the other Virginia liberals here.  It's an honor culture there.  They care about symbolism and family and racial pride/heritage.  Most have been living in the same place for generations--far longer than mainstream suburban/urban liberals live in their own communities for the most part.  They have longer memories.  They care about the culture more than they care about the specifics of policy.  @tshile is absolutely right that if you insult them, they will hate you and look for someone who is against you to side with.  @Kilmer17 is right that the path to winning these peoples' votes is to do what Manchin did, keep your politics local, stick to the issues, and don't fight culture battles that aren't worth the cost of winning.  Like it or not, I would bet anything that a significant part of Corey Stewart's support came from **** like defending Confederate monuments.  Getting railroaded by Nova liberals on issues like this is going to be a source of perpetual conflict and grievance.

4 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The PCness of this country is out of control

we used to be able to call racists, racist. Can’t do that anymore 

It’s like you guys have some logic block in this issue. 

You either dont care about these people and can demean them and belittle them and just try to steam roll them. 

Or or you can care about who they support and trying to change that. 

You guys are doing half of one and half of the other. You belittle and demean them daily then act surprised they vote for the people they vote for. 

Gee, rural America, why do you not support the people that belittle you on a daily basis?

how can we reach you?

Such a tough puzzle we’ve got here. 

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The GOP is bought and paid for by corporations and billionaires. They exist to funnel money upward and are enabled by a voting base full of weak, stupid men who are easily misled by hate, fear, and a ****load of racism. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Occam’s Razor strikes again.

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The GOP is bought and paid for by corporations and billionaires. They exist to funnel money upward and are enabled by a voting base full of weak, stupid men who are easily misled by hate, fear, and a ****load of racism. Sorry, but it is what it is.

I had this whole reply written out but wouldn't want to be accused of "both sideism" ? 

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s like you guys have some logic block in this issue. 

You either dont care about these people and can demean them and belittle them and just try to steam roll them. 

Or or you can care about who they support and trying to change that. 

You guys are doing half of one and half of the other. You belittle and demean them daily then act surprised they vote for the people they vote for. 

Gee, rural America, why do you not support the people that belittle you on a daily basis?

how can we reach you?

Such a tough puzzle we’ve got here. 

The difference is, I am not trying to reach them 

i am hoping Texas and NC can turn into VA. The economic engines crushing the rural areas at the ballot box 

4 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The difference is, I am not trying to reach them 

Yeah and neither am I so I ultimately don’t care either. 

Im happy with steam rolling then. But that requires dems to turn out. Something the liberals are always optimistic about but I’m always pessimistic about. 

The overall support for some trump policies in exit polling surprised me. Nothing about rural Va last night surprised me. 

Archived