Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What is it about those corn-pone, illiterate, crosseyed, uneducated, cousin ****ing people in rural areas that makes them vote Republican?  

I don’t know, they’ve always tended to vote conservative. It’s the quality of candidates that has changed. 

I think conservative media has driven them crazy. When you are convinced that MS-13 is going to evict you from your home, I guess Corey Stewart et al seem appealing.

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

Rural va is not going to vote for a democrat.

Yeah but they also didn't have to turn out in full force for Stewart.  They liked him.  They're culture voters.  Symbols and things matter to them.

VA is a microcosm of the rural vs suburban/urban split.  People who live in the Red parts of the state live completely different lives than the ones who live in the blue parts.

22 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Rural va in the past still managed to nominate fairly moderate conservatives. Corey Stewart is a raging asshole, which seems to be the preference for rural, white America. 

There is a weird synergy between the GOP base and the broader party infrastructure where each keeps reinforcing the other to run just absolutely insane candidates. 

Without the changing demographics of NoVA, an overt racist would have been elected to the Senate from VA last night. In 2014 with these numbers, Corey Stewart would have defeated Mark Warner.

Yes they will vote for a raging racist lunatic over a democrat.

they will also vote for a moderate conservative over a democrat. 

They’re not going to vote for a democrat.

Their number 1 gripe with the state is liberal NoVA. They’re never going to vote for a democrat. 

they are very much against the changes liberals want to bring to the state. They’re going to vote against it and they’ll even support a terrible candidate if they yell at the liberals loud enough. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah but they also didn't have to turn out in full force for Stewart

This is literally the opposite of what I’m seeing everywhere else. 

Rural va did show up for him. That was the opening premis to the conversation we’re having about him...

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

The analysis should take into account expectations and historical comparisons. 

Its very easy to see why the Dems victory isn’t what it could have or maybe should have been. 

Ok, so your argument is that since the Dems didn’t blow the Republicans out an win in landslides across the country then they didn’t win?

A win is a win.

And last night was a win.

Was it everything we absolutely wanted? No

But was it a win?

Yes.

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I think conservative media has driven them crazy. 

That and they just flat out do not like liberal policies or liberals in VA. 

Go go figure you guys spend 23 months of the cycle **** talking them all, then Election Day can’t figure out why they won’t come to your side and instead support a lunatic racist. 

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I don’t know, they’ve always tended to vote conservative. It’s the quality of candidates that has changed. 

I think conservative media has driven them crazy. When you are convinced that MS-13 is going to evict you from your home, I guess Corey Stewart et al seem appealing.

Yeah, you have a POTUS who literally makes up a completely insane alternate reality and lies over and over about how it is actual reality and he has the biggest stage in the world to do it from. Then add in that he has a very well oiled right wing media machine that also pushes the exact lies that he utters as completely true. Then the regular media isn't really sure how to deal with it so they cover him and repeat his lies...calling him out for saying something without evidence, but they STILL are repeating it even to do that so sometimes that's all that matters. He literally has zero incentive to stop lying because there are no tangible negative repercussions and it benefits him with his base. 

I think Georgia is the one that upsets me the most. The voter suppression tactics used there were so over the top and so anti-democratic. It really is horrible that the man responsible for these tactics gets rewarded for it. Georgians should be ashamed of themselves.

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, so your argument is that since the Dems didn’t blow the Republicans out an win in landslides across the country then they didn’t win?

I think the argument is that for 23 months we heard about the impending blue wave that was going to **** the GOP up and how America has turned against the GOP and their policies forever. How trump has exposed the GOP etc. 

and now the results are in and it wasn’t a blow out and exit polling shows more support for trump/gop policies than the dems care to admit. 

Just now, tshile said:

That and they just flat out do not like liberal policies or liberals in VA. 

Go go figure you guys spend 23 months of the cycle **** talking them all, then Election Day can’t figure out why they won’t come to your side and instead support a lunatic racist. 

Yeah but do they truly know what the actual policies are of the Dems they loathe so much or do they just rely on Trump, Hannity, and Rush to lie to them about it? Many of them would likely benefit greatly from some of those policies. 

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Rural VA is degenerated from what it was two generations ago.

Yes, they've always been conservative.  Yes, politics of white supremacy have always resonated with them.  But the communities have collapsed and the people in them have regressed.  So much uselessness now.  Godlessness.  Radicalization.  Substance abuse.  Impoverishment.  The Golden and Silent generations kept it together.  They went to decent churches, not the crap churches full of bigoted charlatans that are all over the place now.  They cared about their communities.  They served.  And many of them advanced their families into the middle class for the first time.  They certainly weren't perfect and their attitudes to minorities were disgraceful, but in most other respects they were a lot better than what we have now.  The Boomers sucked and they raised a generation that sucks too.  They liberalized in all of the worst, most selfish ways.  It has been a steady, Faulknerian degeneration of the rural South for two generations and it will continue because the braindrain is only going to speed up.

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

A win is a win.

But was it a win?

Yes.

I'm kinda on Kilmer's side of the analysis here. I see it as a qualified victory.

There are races that I find perplexing. Texas should have gone to Beto if Texans had any pride at all. How could they go for a toadying weasel who bent over so completely after his family's honor was attacked. Cruz showed no spine whatsoever. I realize that a Dem winning a Senate seat is a near impossibility, but Cruz is such a  _________. Georgia just makes me mad. That was crooked. Way too many voters robbed of their rights. Nunes winning? King winning?

Some pockets of America got this election right, but there's still a long way to go. As I've said, the Senate worries me a lot. Trump is absolutely going to finish his term no matter what Mueller finds. Hell, Trump might even be emboldened to fire him and be able to get away with it.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah but do they truly know what the actual policies are of the Dems they loathe so much or do they just rely on Trump, Hannity, and Rush to lie to them about it? Many of them would likely benefit greatly from some of those policies. 

Sure. 

But you guys sit around and belittle them day in and day out

then act shocked when they support someone like Corey Stewart. 

I’m not saying they’re right or smart or anything like that. I’m just genuinely baffled that you all struggle so much with this. It’s really an easy situation. 

You all attack and demean them nonstop and are for policies that they are directly opposed to. You call them racists, inbred, mysognistic, etc. 

and you may be, probably are, right. 

But the side effect of that is that someone like Corey Stewart is able to gather their support. 

If you want their vote, or if you want them to stop supporting raging lunatic racists, maybe reconsider your approach. 

If if you don’t that’s fine too I’ll just keep poking fun at you guys.  

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think the argument is that for 23 months we heard about the impending blue wave that was going to **** the GOP up and how America has turned against the GOP and their policies forever. How trump has exposed the GOP etc. 

and now the results are in and it wasn’t a blow out and exit polling shows more support for trump/gop policies than the dems care to admit. 

The question of this election is how much of the results were tainted by gerrymandering and voter suppression. The GOP really went all out in trying to prevent citizens from voting.

Functionally, you are right. The Dems had a wave, but it was far from a tsunami. The Dems can claim a victory, but so can the Repubs... and both had one.

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes they will vote for a raging racist lunatic over a democrat.

they will also vote for a moderate conservative over a democrat. 

They’re not going to vote for a democrat.

Their number 1 gripe with the state is liberal NoVA. They’re never going to vote for a democrat. 

they are very much against the changes liberals want to bring to the state. They’re going to vote against it and they’ll even support a terrible candidate if they yell at the liberals loud enough. 

This is literally the opposite of what I’m seeing everywhere else. 

Rural va did show up for him. That was the opening premis to the conversation we’re having about him...

Its interesting because quite literally, rural VA could not exist as a state if it weren’t for liberal Nova.  Talk about tax leeches.

10 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

A win is a win.

But was it a win?

Yes.

And the flip is that the GOP "won" on the Senate side?

I'm arguing that NEITHER is a win.  Because NEITHER achieved the potential.  The Dems had an easy road in the House, the GOP an easy road in the Senate.  But both came up short of what they could have done.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Which exit polls are you referring to?

The positive I'll take for 2020 is what seems to be a snapback in WI-MI-PA.

So what should the Dem/liberal approach be to get rural voters? They absolutely love the **** out an amoral racist ****bag of a person in POTUS, they vote for racist ****bags over and over who support policies that actually harm them, they listen to echo chamber right wing sites that simply repeat that same ****bag POTUS's lies nonstop, and hence think that all liberals are purely evil and want to let in brown people so they can rape and murder their wives and daughters and take their jobs. 

Talking policy doesn't help because they don't seem to even listen and it is completely blunted by the pure emotional vitriol coming from "their side". Should the Dems pretend to be racist assholes as well? And if they want to stop being labeled as racists and misogynists maybe they should stop openly supporting racists and misogynists. 

Just now, Springfield said:

Its interesting because quite literally, rural VA could not exist as a state if it weren’t for liberal Nova.  Talk about tax leeches.

I don’t know about that, but I know what you’re referring to. 

I live on the front line of the war between NoVA and the rest of VA. 

Right now the general sentimare is you people ****ed up NoVA so bad you don’t want to (or can’t afford :ols:) to live in the area you created and now you’re moving out here to destroy our area too ;)

im actually in your all’s side of things. I just find it funny how disconnected from the reality of that part of the state some of you are. 

Youre genuinely surprised they voted for stewart over a democrat? Then you’re not paying attention. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Some pockets of America got this election right, but there's still a long way to go. As I've said, the Senate worries me a lot. Trump is absolutely going to finish his term no matter what Mueller finds. Hell, Trump might even be emboldened to fire him and be able to get away with it.

Trump finishing is probably the best thing for Democrats.  If he didnt, it would turn him into a martyr and fire up Republicans too much.  It would be Kavanaugh times 100.  

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

So what should the Dem/liberal approach be to get rural voters? They absolutely love the **** out an amoral racist ****bag of a person in POTUS, they vote for racist ****bags over and over who support policies that actually harm them, they listen to echo chamber right wing sites that simply repeat that same ****bag POTUS's lies nonstop, and hence think that all liberals are purely evil and want to let in brown people so they can rape and murder their wives and daughters and take their jobs. 

Talking policy doesn't help because they don't seem to even listen and it is completely blunted by the pure emotional vitriol coming from "their side". Should the Dems pretend to be racist assholes as well? And if they want to stop being labeled as racists and misogynists maybe they should stop openly supporting racists and misogynists. 

Maybe start by not calling them racist.  How does Joe Manchin win?  Follow his lead in places that are similar.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don’t know what to tell you. 

But keeping on and then acting surprised at the results is not a particularly good look. 

There have been multiple people on ES to try to explain this to you guys over the years. And here we are, same spot as always. 

Quit acting surprised you aren’t getting support from the group of people you regularly **** on. 

Quit acting surprised that same same group of people is able to rally around terrible candidates that stand up and attack people like you, that **** on them daily. 

Its just not that difficult of a dynamic to understand. 

Archived