Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Sure, we'd be laughed at if he went on to win a SB (unless he didn't really play much of a part in the SB run). But what if, on the other hand, Kirk goes somewhere else, they pay him a king's ransom, and he ends up being completely mediocre and doesn't do that much to help them? Would we be seen as geniuses for not throwing money at him?

There is no scenario that the Redskins FO look like geniuses. Making every single possible wrong mistake and lucking out as Kirk picks the wrong situation and doesn't do well does not make you a genius. The narrative will rightly be Kirk chose the wrong place but the Redskins FO still are idiots even if they do end up with a better QB. It will be more that they dumbed their way into it not through careful calculation. 

If the Skins franchise Kirk for the 3rd and final time he will sign the offer sheet as soon as he sees it.  No team is going to trade for Cousins without a long-term deal in place.  Cousins' agent will tell the potential new team that he will not sign any new deal.  So Cousins will pocket 34 million and hit free agency after another year.  One year from now his agent will be demanding new guaranteed money from another team.

Cousins is going to hit free agency sooner or later.  The later he gets there the more it costs the Redskins.  Bite the bullet and be done with it.  Time to move on. 

20 minutes ago, zoony said:

I tend to agree.  But, i have to admit I`m somewhat torn because Dan and Bruce are such idiots, i wouldnt want to play for those two assholes either

So question... if cousins is franchised and traded to say, the browns... doe the tag reset and can the browns tag him the following year?

From what I gather they technically could tag Kirk a forth year here, so don't see why not in the Browns situation.  

I was just going though the NY papers, they really played up ties of people there to Shanny.  Shanny was praising the heck of their offensive coordinator.   He also talked about Kirk saying he is special and if he only had a defense, etc people would see.   

If I recall it was Breer who said don't discount all of that when it comes to Kirk and the Jets.

If the Jets are someone Kirk would consider, the transition tag I don't think would be a good bet considering all the cap room they got.  In that case, franchise tag.

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

If the Skins franchise Kirk for the 3rd and final time he will sign the offer sheet as soon as he sees it.  No team is going to trade for Cousins without a long-term deal in place.  Cousins' agent will tell the potential new team that he will not sign any new deal.  So Cousins will pocket 34 million and hit free agency after another year.  One year from now his agent will be demanding new guaranteed money from another team.

That's the clear danger of the franchise tag, he can pocket 34 million and become a FA.  Though if I recall Joel Corry said you can transition tag him next year if you so choose.  I forgot the permutation of it, though.  I don't recall if it had to be back to back years with the transition tag or whether you can jump from franchise to transition.

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is no scenario that the Redskins FO look like geniuses. Making every single possible wrong mistake and lucking out as Kirk picks the wrong situation and doesn't do well does not make you a genius. The narrative will rightly be Kirk chose the wrong place but the Redskins FO still are idiots even if they do end up with a better QB. It will be more that they dumbed their way into it not through careful calculation. 

Agree, to me its an unmitigated disaster.  At this point, I am focused on damage control.  Only thing left is to salvage some compensation.  But I hate the whole thing.    Maybe the pessimism is unfounded but yeah it seems all of the local guys think its not happening -- aside from Finlay who thinks he can come back for a year on a tag.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's the clear danger of the franchise tag, he can pocket 34 million and become a FA.  Though if I recall Joel Corry said you can transition tag him next year if you so choose.  I forgot the permutation of it, though.  I don't recall if it had to be back to back years with the transition tag or whether you can jump from franchise to transition.

Here ya go..

Craig Hoffman speaking on 106.7.  He was at the Senior Bowl and heard his own version of scuttlebutt, etc.

His take is this.  McCartney, Kirk's agent and Bruce have a strained relationship.   But, Kirk hasn't mentally checked out as for staying a Redskin.  He doesn't buy that Kirk is definitely headed to Denver.  

45 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Genius is probably not the appropriate word, but, to play devils advocate, if we let KC walk, and we draft a franchise QB who takes us to a SB people will be calling our front office geniuses. Not too long ago the Eagles were left with two overpriced QB's on their roster and they dealt both of them away and drafted Wentz, trading up to get him. My point is that one stud QB will make any front office look like geniuses. NOT paying KC may turn out to be the correct call on him....time will tell. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Genius is probably not the appropriate word, but, to play devils advocate, if we let KC walk, and we draft a franchise QB who takes us to a SB people will be calling our front office geniuses. Not too long ago the Eagles were left with two overpriced QB's on their roster and they dealt both of them away and drafted Wentz, trading up to get him. My point is that one stud QB will make any front office look like geniuses. NOT paying KC may turn out to be the correct call on him....time will tell. 

Eagles have been masterful at playing the Qb market for years including making most of the same people who are in this very FO look like fools. The Redskins have been on the raw end of the QB market -- the team that people laugh at for getting it wrong.

Has the script flipped now?  The Redskins might be the geniuses.  I grant you anything is possible.  But as Tandler said the other day this FO hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt that they will get it right.   

Edit:  Granted you are playing devil's advocate. I am playing devil's advocate back.

Here is a random question, can another team sign and trade a player who has been transition tagged?  Like, could the Browns sign Cousins to a front loaded deal that the Skins wouldn't match, then trade him to the Broncos while taking some of the cap hit from a signing bonus?  

I know it wouldn't happen, but I was wondering if it is allowed.

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

That and the boatload of free agents they signed.

MzDGgTg.png

Gotta imagine they will have cap issues on the horizon.  But just look at how excellent the majority of those pickups are.  They will surely figure a way out of whatever 'cap hell' they made for themselves.  They load, go down shooting and reload again, it's what good front offices do.  Then there's what Bruce does.  Cousins sees that.

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

That and the boatload of free agents they signed.

Jernigan was a key one for them, that list has him as a FA but he wasn't a FA, that was a trade.  Blount was signed for a ham sandwich -- cheap.  Chris Long, cheap, too.   Unless, I am missing one, only big name FA was the one year deal for Jeffrey.

I haven't been expecting any compensation for Cousins if he leaves. To me, it seems like an absolute long-shot. Cousins wants to test the FA Market. Always has. He will sign another massive one-year guarantee and wait to hit FA in 2019. Given that Gruden wants stability at QB, I can't see the team going that route (franchise) without a guarantee from Kirk that he would take a trade and do a long term deal with that new team.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Craig Hoffman speaking on 106.7.  He was at the Senior Bowl and heard his own version of scuttlebutt, etc.

His take is this.  McCartney, Kirk's agent and Bruce have a strained relationship.   But, Kirk hasn't mentally checked out as for staying a Redskin.  He doesn't buy that Kirk is definitely headed to Denver.  

McCartney is also Trevor Simeon's agent. 

Wonder what kind of relationship he has with Elway. 

Just ran a hypothetical on the above mentioned swap of picks with Denver (send #13 and Cousins to Denver for #5 and #40). I used Matt Miller's mock and the assumption that any $$ we have in FA will go toward bringing back Zach Brown and targeting a top-flight WR like Allen Robinson, should he escape Jacksonville. I'm sure we'd use other freed up $$ to make some depth plays on defense, etc.

Rosen, Barkley, Nelson, Darnold went 1-4 ... so I took FS Minkah Fitzpatrick at #5. I know logic is that #5 needs to be our new stud franchise QB but unless our FO is in love with someone to take them at #5, I wait, and either package the 2nds for a late 1st or wait to see who's there later on. Ended up with:

1.5: Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Bama

2.5: Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma State

2.14: Nick Chubb, RB Georgia

3.13: Trenton Thompson, DT Georgia

4.14: Sean Welsh, OG Iowa

Who knows about Lauletta and Mike White. Maybe Matt Miller hasn't done a post-senior-bowl big board update, but they could both be had in the 4th/5th round if you so choose to go elsewhere at that other 2nd round spot. I honestly don't know if I'd rather have this ... or Cousins + defense at 13 and RB at 44 ...

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

This difference is that the eagles made well calculated moves instead of tripping over their feet.  And yes, not paying kirk may end up working out. But it’s not based on superior calculations and/or strategy. It’s because they mucked this up so bad the choice was made for them.  

The Blake Bortles surgery is interesting. The option the team picked up on him is guaranteed for injury. If he's unable to pass a physical in 6 weeks, he'll be owed the $19M, and it would remove Jax from the Kirk equation. I wonder how likely it is that he fails the physical.

21 minutes ago, Tay said:

The Blake Bortles surgery is interesting. The option the team picked up on him is guaranteed for injury. If he's unable to pass a physical in 6 weeks, he'll be owed the $19M, and it would remove Jax from the Kirk equation. I wonder how likely it is that he fails the physical.

Given his playoff performances, I doubt the Jags really want to move off of Bortles anyhow. That's Madden thinking that you can just plug and play a QB and be at full sprint.

This really, really sucks. Big time.

Finally, the team gets a solid QB who could possibly get this team back on track for being perennial winners, then Bruce Allen has to go and pee on the camp fire.

I think its safe to say that Cousins isn't loyal to the team, only loyal to money. One could say 'whats wrong with wanting more money?', and considering he's already pocketed more money in the last few years then 99% of Americans will ever dream about, and is already well off for the forseeable future,

That little piss-ant agent has his ear and has him slowly digging himself a hole. Its very possible Cousins goes elsewhere and falls flat on his face; of course that would make Allen and the FO happy, and admittingly it would make me smile a little too. I've never been a greedy person so its difficult for me to see his angle, but he could end up being like Enron stock, crashing and burning, and eventually signing for vet minimum sometime down the road.

Its already known he needs an offense in order for him to succeed, he can't carry a team by himself; if he does go elsewhere, they better have an offense in place for him to succeed or their fan base will be all over him and their FO. He would be a nice shiny set of hub caps on a junk car.

There shouldn't be any form of tag put on him by the Redskins; either sign him for a top tier QB salary [ but not # 1 or 2 ] or just let him go. The damage this is doing to the team and the fan base is growing, and tagging him is just kicking the can down the road. The problem will be right back in their faces next year, but then it would be at an even higher amount.  Stop kicking the can!

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Given his playoff performances, I doubt the Jags really want to move off of Bortles anyhow. That's Madden thinking that you can just plug and play a QB and be at full sprint.

But the Jags are for the most part built to win right now. Bortles' fluke performance in the playoffs isn't something to bank on; if they do, they will fall from grace next season. They can't afford to not have some type of insurance in place, and with Bortles' surgery, regardless of how it turns out, they know they need improvement in that position. They may sell the farm, but a taste of success does weird things to NFL owners, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

But the Jags are for the most part built to win right now. Bortles' fluke performance in the playoffs isn't something to bank on; if they do, they will fall from grace next season. They can't afford to not have some type of insurance in place, and with Bortles' surgery, regardless of how it turns out, they know they need improvement in that position. They may sell the farm, but a taste of success does weird things to NFL owners, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

Why would they be desperate? They made it (unexpectedly) to the AFC championship game. I'd argue that the lesson the Jags should most pay attention to is that of Trent Dilfer. As inconsistent and pedestrian as Trent is... The Ravens won a Superbowl with him. After discarding him, the team has never reached those heights again.

I'd be shocked if Bortles isn't behind center for them next year. (Mind you, I've been shocked a lot over the last year and a half)

Jacksonville may very well be out of the Cousins sweepstakes, but not because Bortles playoff performance saved his job.  I'd imagine those in charge will look to upgrade that position if at all possible, but maybe not at the 28-30M per year range that Cousins could get.  If he doesn't pass the physical, they could be stuck with him though.

25 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Why would they be desperate? They made it (unexpectedly) to the AFC championship game. I'd argue that the lesson the Jags should most pay attention to is that of Trent Dilfer. As inconsistent and pedestrian as Trent is... The Ravens won a Superbowl with him. After discarding him, the team has never reached those heights again.

How so?  They won a Superbowl again without Dilfer.   Dilfer was almost 20 years ago.  He still is the example people use about hey maybe you don't need a guy.  That's a long long time ago.  But playing's devil's advocate to my own point.  Why do we think this time the Redskins can build an elite defense?  They haven't tried to do so before?  They've had plenty of experience with Dilfer types at QB.  This won't be a new movie.   

It's like saying imagine now if we got Rex Grossman back. Jason Campbell. Patrick Ramsey or name that guy we've had.  Imagine Bruce-Doug going wild in FA building a Jacksonville level defense with a cheap QB like that and watch them fly.

Doesn't Shanny understand having a top shelf defense irrelevant to the performance of the team?  Win-loss record is ALL on the QB. I bet we have the last laugh at Denver.  They will give up 17 points a game but Kirk will only put up 16 because that's how he rolls. :ols:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mike-shanahan-qb-kirk-cousins-special-player-article-1.3786196

Mike Shanahan believes that it might be time to visit your local optometrist if you don’t think that Kirk Cousins is the real deal.

Less than two weeks after former Washington general manager Scot McLoughlin said that he didn’t think the veteran quarterback was “special,” the coach who discovered Cousins made it crystal clear that the best is yet to come from the signal caller.

“There’s no question in my mind that he’s a special player,” Shanahan told the Daily News on Monday. “If you don’t think he’s a special player, that means you don’t watch him practice very often. You take a look at some of the games he’s played in. He hasn’t played with a good defense that’s been in the upper half of the league, I don’t think, since he’s been there. You can’t always do it by yourself. You got to have an offense and a defense for a quarterback to be really successful… especially when you get in the playoffs. But I guarantee you he’s a special guy.”

Shanahan, frankly, is right. Washington has had a subpar defense in Cousins’ three seasons as the full-time starter. The raw numbers: Washington has finished 28th, 28th and 21st in total defense and 17th, 19th and 27th in points allowed.

I found it interesting last night listening to Foles going into detail about how awesome their team is, and how each unit including the special teams all feed off of each other, and that's why they are where they are.  It comes off as cliché, but it's so true.  The Redskins really haven't had a team with all 3 phases playing at a high level in over 2 decades.  The few brief appearances in the playoffs consist of some type of mix of one unit playing at a really high level carrying other units, schedule luck, etc. 

Archived