Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

He's negotiating through the media. If he wants to maximize his desires from the contract, whatever they may be, it's important for him to show sincere interest in multiple options. If he is obviously leaning in one direction, it could limit his leverage in negotiations.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

He has said exactly what he is looking for, on multiple occasions.

He said he wants to be where he is wanted and somewhere where he thinks he realistically has a chance at winning.

He has also said that the team has shown that the Redskins have shown that they want him and that he feels the team is very close to the best teams in the NFL this year.

2 minutes ago, Tay said:

He has also said that the team has shown that the Redskins have shown that they want him and that he feels the team is very close to the best teams in the NFL this year.

Yep, and as he also said, it's out of his control right now.  He can't sign anything the Redskins haven't offered him.

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yep, and as he also said, it's out of his control right now.  He can't sign anything the Redskins haven't offered him.

But he's not going to agree to any offer or negotiate before the Redskins have to make a decision on the tag. It's out of his control for 6 more weeks, which he did say he would wait for.

3 minutes ago, Tay said:

But he's not going to agree to any offer or negotiate before the Redskins have to make a decision on the tag. It's out of his control for 6 more weeks, which he did say he would wait for.

True.  

But if the Redskins were smart they would make him an offer regardless of what he said.  And they may have.  But doubtful since they are idiots.

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

He has said exactly what he is looking for, on multiple occasions.

He said he wants to be where he is wanted and somewhere where he thinks he realistically has a chance at winning.

Okay, what does that mean exactly? Be specific.

Skins offer him a stafford contract, is that enough?  No.  Its not about money he says.  But its not up to him he says.  Ummm, whiskey tangoe foxtrot.

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Okay, what does that mean exactly? Be specific.

Skins offer him a stafford contract, is that enough?  No.  Its not about money he says.  But its not up to him he says.  Ummm, whiskey tangoe foxtrot.

How would I know what it means I didn't say it, he did.  He has his own reasons just like anyone has reasons they want to work somewhere or not.

Kirk said at his charity event that he wants to due his due diligence and test the market.  So if anything, that makes it out of the organization's control.  Thus far, for all the "right" things Kirk has said, he hasn't once said he would accept an offer from the team before the FA deadline.

He is beginning to speak out of both sides of his mouth in order to try and please everyone he thinks might be listening.  

The next time he gets in front of the microphone the question that really needs to be asked is if the Redskins Organization could offer him anything that would sway him from testing the market in the first place.  Kirk on one hand acts like his agent is just waiting on an offer, but then on the other hand says he isn't looking to field anything from the team until he can test the market.

Just be honest or stop fielding these questions.

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

Exactly, so quit coming across like a know it all jackass.  You dont know ****.

So, with that out of the way, leta get back to supposition

Says the guy who said it's "abundantly clear" that he is going to Denver but can't even provide any links (since they don't exist).

Talk about pot calling kettle black.  Tough guy moderator you are.

It's crazy how strong that logo and the burgundy and gold impact the way folks see things.  :ols: Some folks simply deserve the pain they receive from this organization.

Folks act like Kirk is out hunting down reporters to get his message out.  Dude gives a generic one-liner and riles folks up.  Meanwhile, the Redskins haven't sent any messages or offers.  I can't help but laugh at the fact that the FO gets a pass because Kirk said he wanted to take some time to breathe after the season before discussing a contract.  As if that stops the FO from trying to get a contract done. 

C'mon man!

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Kirk said at his charity event that he wants to due his due diligence and test the market.  So if anything, that makes it out of the organization's control.  Thus far, for all the "right" things Kirk has said, he hasn't once said he would accept an offer from the team before the FA deadline.

He is beginning to speak out of both sides of his mouth in order to try and please everyone he thinks might be listening.  

I 100 percent agree, and Im not sure there is another take to be had.  

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Says the guy who said it's "abundantly clear" that he is going to Denver but can't even provide any links (since they don't exist).

Talk about pot calling kettle black.  Tough guy moderator you are.

Do you know what abundant means?  It means plentiful.  Which you asked for a source, i recommended reading the thread.  Its not my fault you choose to think and act like a child.

Now you want to bring a moderator thing into this discussion, because its all too much for you.  Post somewhere else maybe?  Leave this board to the adults.

33 minutes ago, zoony said:

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Just be honest or stop fielding these questions.

These two posts sums up what the issue is here with this situation and why this is so screwed up.

Kirk doesn't need to put out multiple mixed messages like this. If he burns a bridge with the Redskins because he wants off the team then so what? Burning that bridge only helps him to that end. On the other hand trying to play the middle has confusing results to his fans. To me when he's playing the middle like this he's only doing so to keep the Redskins interested, but that's in my head. To others playing the middle means that Kirk does want to be here (could be true, could not be true) because that's in their heads. Who the hell knows what he wants? He has pc speaking down to an art form. 

The situation doesn't need to be this way. If Kirk would make up his decision about where he wants to be (here or not here) and just come out and say that it would close one of the doors to him (the Redskins door or another teams door) and add clarity to this. Not doing that makes for added unnecessary confusion.

Maybe he just doesn't know what he wants? One of my many children is in college now as a senior and she still isn't sure what job she wants out of school. Why bring that up? Because some people just can't make up their minds about anything. If it were me I'm more transparent and literal in my thinking I am a tarsus and think that does play into my thinking some. I decide what I want and let others now about it and go get it and I know others are not this way even a little. This talk is a look into Kirk's mind and makes for a fun experiment but as a sports fan makes for a frustrating situation. 

I just wish he would burn a bridge (here or other teams) and stand behind that so we could get excited (he wants to stay) or depressed (he wants to move on) and get on with it

I am getting more and more annoyed with Cousins through this process. He wants to be recruited and enter free agency...that's pretty clear from some of his comments and his actions. But, you don't get to wish for that AND continue to say you want to stay in Washington. You really can't mean both things...either you're wasting the Redskins' time or you're wasting the time of all other bidders if you want to stick with your team. 

He wants to control this yet spin the PR so that he comes off looking unappreciated by his current team. I'm not even sure he's doing it maliciously (in fact, I'm pretty certain he's not), but he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. As a fan of the team over any one player, that's starting to annoy me. If you want to be a FA for the first (and maybe only) time in your career, just sack up and say that you want to go through that process and have the chance to choose where you'll play. You can still say that it's possible you'll end up back in Washington if it's the best outcome once the process has concluded. 

Cousins seems like he wants to call the shots but wants to be universally liked. A lot of times we can't have both. He should aim for calling the shots and being respected for being up front about his desire and intentions. 

Back to the actual question in this thread...I hope we sit him down and confirm with him that he wants to play in Denver. Then, I hope we call Denver or broker a three-way chat with Cousins so that everyone is comfortable that they are willing to pay something he'd want. If those two things happen, we can tag him and figure out some fair compensation to let him go out there and sign a LTD. Given where we are, that would be a win-win-win. 

Christian Burtskins and 5 others Retweeted

Broncos beat writer Cecil Lammey on Denver pursuit of Kirk Cousins: "It sounds like the Washington #Redskins will not let Kirk Cousins go without getting something for him in return. The buzz is that Washington will transition tag Cousins then put him on the trade block."

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk doing radio row now

Kirk Cousins on free agency: Would prefer to be with the Redskins but knows it's out of his control. "We'll see what they choose to do and go from there," Cousins said.

Quite the statement indeed. Not sure that'll look too good down the road.

PSA: For everyone waiting with bated breath for Kirk to say something...

This is what happens when your FO "wants to take another look" and trudges down the path of franchise tagging.  Not only trudges down the path but makes it clear that a 3rd year is in play.  This stuff isn't about football.  It's about a game of politics between an agent and GM, where the guy in the middle is put in the awkward spot of what to say and what not to say.  It's hard to get a read on what anyone means by what they say or the actions they take during a shrewd negotiation between two folks that already have a soured relationship.

At the end of the day, the FO has the right to get this thing started and even end it if they want to.  I'm not sure why they come out unscathed by some the fan base, as if this is just greedy Kirk and his meanie agent toying with the Redskins emotions.  Just because Kirk said he's gonna take a break after the season, doesn't prevent the FO from being aggressive and making a move to get this thing done.  If Kirk's team won't play ball, it would lend well to Bruce's next press release to be able to say that.

In all honesty, regardless of who thinks Cousins is worth what, how much he deserves to be paid etc etc....put all that on the back burner. I think Cousins does see a route to remaining in Washington.  However, I am not sure if he sees that route being any more probable than leaving and going to another team.  I think Cousins is approaching this free agency opportunity as a fresh start.  The slate is wiped clean as far as where he is going to play.  It doesn't mean he is leaving for sure, it doesn't mean he is staying for sure. 

I know leaks aren't necessarily a good thing for contract negotiations, but I really would like to know if the organization is still trying to reach out with offers despite Kirk saying he wanted to hit free agency first..

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

At the end of the day, the FO has the right to get this thing started and even end it if they want to.  I'm not sure why they come out unscathed by some the fan base, as if this is just greedy Kirk and his meanie agent toying with the Redskins emotions.  

I don't think they are coming out unscathed. They have played their role in getting the situation to where it is now, but this is where it is.  Have to put that aside and figure out something in the present.

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I thought what Cooley said this morning was interesting, possibly a switch between us and the 49ers for Jimmy G.

Lol bro...49ers would have to be out of their minds to do that trade.  Jimmy G is better, younger, and cheaper.  It makes absolutely no sense for them to do this.  Even if Kyle is secretly madly in love with Cousins, no way Lynch and the rest of the organization would let that trade go through. 

We are guessing granted.  There are things we hear multiple times from multiple sources including in some cases even Kirk which are:

A.  Kirk wants more than 2 years guaranteed money.  Bruce doesn't want to give Kirk more than 2 years.

B.  Kirk's agent and Bruce don't like each other

C.  Kirk likes being a Redskin.  He likes the fans, coaches, teammates.  He doesn't like the FO.

D.  Kirk and his agent and the FO have different views of the market value and what it means to be tagged

E.  Kirk and his agent want to settle that debate by letting the market speak for itself.

Yeah as for Kirk and his agent being saintly in this process.  They aren't.  It's business, though.  Does Kirk mean it when he says he'd like to be back?  I think so if the contract is what they are looking for.  If not, he's ready to move on.  That's the story Albert Breer had weeks back when he was asked about Kirk.   He said Kirk likes but doesn't love the Redskins.  The implication we keep hearing is the FO is what downgrades it from love to like.  

I think Mike Lombardi explained why the contract is likely bogged down.  Breer said the same last off season.  Even Craig Hoffman who was at the Senior Bowl and said he talked to a lot of people -- the main takeaway he got is Bruce and McCartney's relationship is strained. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/19/michael-lombardi-former-nfl-executive-says-bruce-a/

Former NFL executive Michael Lombardi and Redskins President Bruce Allen worked together for five years in Oakland, but that didn’t stop Lombardi from being blunt about the Redskins’ contract situation with quarterback Kirk Cousins. 

On The Ringer’s “GM Street” podcast Friday, Lombardi said Washington “thought they could bluff their way into” a long-term deal with Cousins. 

Bruce thinks sometimes he’s smarter than the agents,” Lombardi said. “And the agents called his bluff every time. And they never really bought into Kirk Cousins that he was ever going to do it and they thought they were being cute. And now, all of a sudden, their cuteness is going to cost them a lot of money.

“They’re dealing with an agency, Priority Sports … they’re not going to take a deal for less and I don’t think Kirk Cousins is going to take a deal for less,” he said. 

4 minutes ago, Area51 said:

Lol bro...49ers would have to be out of their minds to do that trade.  Jimmy G is better, younger, and cheaper.  It makes absolutely no sense for them to do this.  Even if Kyle is secretly madly in love with Cousins, no way Lynch and the rest of the organization would let that trade go through. 

SHHHH!:)

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Christian Burtskins and 5 others Retweeted

Broncos beat writer Cecil Lammey on Denver pursuit of Kirk Cousins: "It sounds like the Washington #Redskins will not let Kirk Cousins go without getting something for him in return. The buzz is that Washington will transition tag Cousins then put him on the trade block."

I'll be tuning in to his podcast later today. I'm curious how that market feels about potential trade value for Kirk.

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

In all honesty, regardless of who thinks Cousins is worth what, how much he deserves to be paid etc etc....put all that on the back burner. I think Cousins does see a route to remaining in Washington.  However, I am not sure if he sees that route being any more probable than leaving and going to another team.  I think Cousins is approaching this free agency opportunity as a fresh start.  The slate is wiped clean as far as where he is going to play.  It doesn't mean he is leaving for sure, it doesn't mean he is staying for sure. 

I think this is a likely a good summary.  But there is a reason for why we are at this place.  And it doesn't seem to be an abstract drill to Kirk as what it means to him to be a Redskin or not.  Sounds like its very tied to the negotiations and feelings between Bruce and McCartney.

I said this months back on one of the Kirk threads that reading John Keim when he talked about the contract it gives the vibe that his source to Kirk's side is McCartney.  And he said multiple times, Kirk's camp is upset about the press release Bruce put out and it rekindled some of the bad blood.   Craig Hoffman summarizing this last night as this all having a Bruce-McCartney angle -- was just another thing in the soup for me that I think points in that direction. 

Archived