Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

17 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Who cares who disagrees?  I bet a 1000 people bashed those that said Griffin wasn’t the right guy. They were right now. 

Which has what to do with the topic at hand? If you have an opinion on Kyle Smith we'd like to hear it, I'm sure. 

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think you get it...Kyle Smith was hired while Bruce was here, so he is in no way qualified for anything football-related whatsoever.

lol

The fact that Bruce happened to have one football-competent friend (AJ Smith) is just about the only silver lining to his time here, if you had to pick one. 

I dont understand what else you all wanted.

1. Well respected, and widely sought defensive coach who is willing to adapt to our personnel AND current scouting department

2. Retention and hopeful promotion of Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith

3. Sustained progression from Dwayne Haskins (by keeping KO around)

4. Progression from Mo Sweat

5. Lined up #2 pick for Chase Young

Its been a great day.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Which has what to do with the topic at hand? If you have an opinion on Kyle Smith we'd like to hear it, I'm sure. 

Smith is too close to Allen.  Him and his father are great friends with Bruce. This isn’t like the Caps where the assistant GM was quite distant from the current and finally got his chance.  Also of note his father is AJ Smith. Yeah that AJ Smith of the Chargers that ran the Chargers like a nut.   Do I think Kyle deserves a shot at high spot with the new GM? Sure.  If the GM likes him then great.  But he’s too close to the main problem right now.  We need a outside perspective that can see who can be beneficial and who is part of the problem. 

13 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

GM's are a crapshoot, look at the Browns, they had a boatload of picks, went out and got a perceived stud GM in Dorsey and hired consultants last offseason to help with the draft.

And they still couldn't get it right.

I think they botched the coach part more than anything, and now they get another shot at it.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

That would be a good run as for Dan, 3 years seems optimistic. 

Dan will probably get the itch to interfere in Year 1 but he will resist. I said Year 3, which is when I predict the decline to start happening.  Once that decline starts to happen; Snyder will interfere.

7 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Smith is too close to Allen.  Him and his father are great friends with Bruce. This isn’t like the Caps where the assistant GM was quite distant from the current and finally got his chance.  Also of note his father is AJ Smith. Yeah that AJ Smith of the Chargers that ran the Chargers like a nut.   Do I think Kyle deserves a shot at high spot with the new GM? Sure.  If the GM likes him then great.  But he’s too close to the main problem right now.  We need a outside perspective that can see who can be beneficial and who is part of the problem. 

Pretending we have a clue about the relationship between Bruce Allen (who it increasingly looks like won't be here at all) and Kyle Smith is just weird. You have no idea and neither do I. Anyways, he can't be a good talent evaluator because he might not hate Bruce like we do? If he's good at his job and surrounded by better football people, with no Bruce, I don't see the problem. 

Yeah, I'd probably have preferred a respected talent evaluator lieutenant from the Ravens or Steelers or something come and tear the whole operation apart down to the studs, then burn down the studs, dig a new foundation and build the organization from the ground up, from PR and Marketing to Scouting and Strength/Conditioning and Nutrition etc.

That doesn't happen most places and this is a decent secondary option if we happen to have some talented guys in-house who couldn't fully blossom with Allen here. 

27 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've seen this movie before.

1. A fair amount of skepticism of what's coming.

2. Once announced, the majority will convince themselves that this is all a good plan.

3. We'll get a couple of years of mediocrity out of it.

4. Eventually, most will complain about how stupid this whole set up was and demand Dan do something smarter next time.

5. Back to 1.

If it happens, I will be here to pat you on the back :)

17 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

GM's are a crapshoot, look at the Browns, they had a boatload of picks, went out and got a perceived stud GM in Dorsey and hired consultants last offseason to help with the draft.

And they still couldn't get it right.

That GM decided to give Kitchens the job over Gregg Williams, and traded for known cancers in OBJ and Hunt. All terrible moves that were obviously questionable.

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

That GM decided to give Kitchens the job over Gregg Williams, and traded for known cancers in OBJ and Hunt. All terrible moves that were obviously questionable.

Hunt wasn't a cancer for them and contributed hugely, essentially for free. Keep the moral judgement if you've been rooting for AP the last two seasons. 

21 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I dont understand what else you all wanted.

1. Well respected, and widely sought defensive coach who is willing to adapt to our personnel AND current scouting department

2. Retention and hopeful promotion of Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith

3. Sustained progression from Dwayne Haskins (by keeping KO around)

4. Progression from Mo Sweat

5. Lined up #2 pick for Chase Young

Its been a great day.

Ok, I'll play....this is what I wanted:

1.  Bruce's position as GM/Pres of Football Ops....whatever the **** his title is/was, to be upgraded.

2. The upgrade to the above position to be filled with a competent (and possibly well respected) NFL GM.

3. That GM then comes in and does the first job on his plate -- hire a HC.

That didn't happen so,....to me, the true core of the issues/problems with this franchise have not changed.

I understand the skepticism that comes with any new Redskins regime, but count me in the Rivera camp. 

If we get a new FO structure with Schaffer/KSmith and maybe a spot for Urban somewhere, that’s a solid mix of football and culture that I think could mix well with Rivera.

Put that with our young defense, Haskins’ improvement, and my liquor buzz....I’m optimistic.

Archived