Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

That GM decided to give Kitchens the job over Gregg Williams, and traded for known cancers in OBJ and Hunt. All terrible moves that were obviously questionable.

Who knows, Dorsey may end up turning things around and I'm sure he looks great on paper when it comes to his resume but when you hire a GM you're picking talent just like you do when you draft players and from what I've seen over 35 years is that sustained success as a GM is very rare, it happens but rarely.

So far it's been reported.....

1)  Rivera was the Skins first choice and visa versa

2)  Rivera likes the young talent here

3)  Likely FO setup goes Eric Schefter EVP and Kyle Smith GM until the draft is over

4)  Rivera is not big on personnel just who he chooses to play game day (his 46)

5)  He's currently assembling his coaches

6)  He likes a challenge and changing cultures

7)  He'll be in Ashburn tomorrow and announcement may come as soon as tonight

4 minutes ago, Probos said:

Ok, I'll play....this is what I wanted:

2. The upgrade to the above position to be filled with a competent (and possibly well respected) NFL GM.

3. That GM then comes in and does the first job on his plate -- hire a HC.

That didn't happen so,....to me, the true core of the issues/problems with this franchise have not changed.

To me it seems that we already decided to promote Schaffer and Smith, making the search for another GM unnecessary. IMO they both earned promotions, and I dont mind a guy like Rivera expressing patience until after the draft.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Browns rumors are swirling that they canned Kitchens tonight so they could talk to Rivera before he met with Skins tomorrow.

I think Rivera would be an honest man and if he had a scheduled interview w/Skins he'd come here first.  Just a guess.  I don't think he leaves tomorrow and is announced as our new HC. :) 

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Browns rumors are swirling that they canned Kitchens tonight so they could talk to Rivera before he met with Skins tomorrow.

Nah. They're gonna take their time, DePodesta is gaining power over Dorsey according to some and Rivera in less than 12 hours doesn't seem to fit that storyline, their FO changes aren't in place yet. 

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My expectation is they will promote Eric now and wait on the GM until after the draft. 

If this happens nothing has changed and the Redskins will continue to suck.  The general manager should be in place before a coach is hired. 

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They needed to talk to Ron 3 weeks ago when I’m guessing Dan started talking to Ron. 

My belief is that the deal is completely done and tomorrow is perfunctory. Couldn’t announce in season, will announce the day after the season is over.

Just now, emoore0222 said:

If this happens nothing has changed and the Redskins will continue to suck.  The general manager should be in place before a coach is hired. 

There’s no reason in the world for this to be the case. 

The only thing that matters is the HC and the GM work together and are happy to work together.  If Ron has a say in hiring the GM, why is it any different than a GM hiring a coach? 

The GMs job is to pick the players.  The HCs job is to coach the players.  

It actually makes no sense that one should work for the other. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only thing that matters is the HC and the GM work together and are happy to work together.  If Ron has a say in hiring the GM, why is it any different than a GM hiring a coach? 

If a general managers job is to pick the players why do you hire/promote him after you pick the players?  Also, historically general manager do much more than just pick the players!

16 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

Yeah, but..... Other teams don't always do it that way!!!

(Ignoring that those other teams aren't owned by the actual human version of Wile E Coyote)

Because a GM (a real one) is a football guy. Who could build an entire football operation, and then identify and interview Coach candidates, hiring the one who impressed him the most with his abilities, character and vision for the franchise. And who could work within the organization the way said GM wants to build it.

Instead, we have a Coach Dan picked because he's a name and willing to deal with Dan's nonsense. Who had to be a retread, because the way Dan sees things, he went with a coordinator lat time, so this equals "different"and therefore this will work (yes, this is the idiotic level decisions are made at for the Redskins).

And now, instead of a FO built by one football pro, we have one built by guys Dan likes and who are willing to kowtow to a retread coach.

No, you're right. This is a great way to do things.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Because a GM (a real one) is a football guy

And my contention is a good HC is also a football guy and can build the organization just as well, interviewing candidates for the GM job and selecting the best one.

My assumption is that the HC could then pick his staff, and the GM would run the scouting.

It doesn’t make any difference which comes first.  You find the best guy to come first on either role and go with it.

And I still say neither should report to each other.  They should be equal in authority and report to a higher level exec.  

And my contention is a good HC is also a football guy and can build the organization just as well, interviewing candidates for the GM job and selecting the best one.

My assumption is that the HC could then pick his staff, and the GM would run the scouting.

It doesn’t make any difference which comes first.  You find the best guy to come first on either role and go with it.

And I still say neither should report to each other.  They should be equal in authority and report to a higher level exec.  

voice of reason indeed.......

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

So far it's been reported.....

1)  Rivera was the Skins first choice and visa versa

2)  Rivera likes the young talent here

3)  Likely FO setup goes Eric Schefter EVP and Kyle Smith GM until the draft is over

4)  Rivera is not big on personnel just who he chooses to play game day (his 46)

5)  He's currently assembling his coaches

6)  He likes a challenge and changing cultures

7)  He'll be in Ashburn tomorrow and announcement may come as soon as tonight

Number 4 I put in bold.  That is really  discouraging.  Screams that Dan is making personal decisions.  Same old sh**. 

VoiceofReason did say above that maybe the coach will pick his GM, so that would be a nice change if that comes true. 

Just now, Llevron said:

many of y’all wouldnt have been happy with anything other than Dan selling the team. 

Guess whats not gonna happen in your life time.....

That's untrue, most of us would be happy with something called WINNING!  I'm not asking that we have Patriot's level success but can we at least win one playoff game every five years!!!  If that can't be done just give us a professional product while we lose.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They should be equal in authority and report to a higher level exec.  

And there's the issue, with 21 years of evidence to support the fact that it doesn't work when the owner is the "higher level exec" and also a buffoon.

But my man:

Journey-Dont-Stop-Believin.jpg

Archived