Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

5 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Man, state polling is wild.  Most polls have Moore +X, up to around +10, and then Fox News has Jones +10 among likely voters.

Gee

I can't imagine while the night before the election foxnews would push that Jones is up 10 points when no one else is saying that.

:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Predicto said:

It is possible that Fox is trying to scare conservative voters to come out tomorrow.   I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

As far I'm concerned... Until fox proves that something like that is actually past them, it's not. It's directly from their playbook.

With Biden, Obama and many out of state progressives joining in I'm beginning to suspect they think it is more valuable to lose this seat than win it.   Either way the Democrats are in a win-win situation you can thank Bannon and the Alt-Right for that.

Edited by nonniey

Merrill has also made decisions as secretary of state that will likely result in fewer Alabamians being able to vote on Tuesday. Earlier this year, Alabama passed a law extending the right to vote to thousands of residents previously barred from voting for low-level felony convictions. But Merrill decided this spring that his office would not reach out to these individuals or more broadly promote the new law to the people who might now be able to register. “I’m not going to spend state resources” to notify “a small percentage of individuals who at some point in the past may have believed for whatever reason they were disenfranchised,” he told the Huffington Post in June. The reason they believe they cannot vote is that state or county election authorities informed them they were permanently disenfranchised, and no one has since told them otherwise.

The Campaign Legal Center, a voting rights nonprofit, filed a lawsuit this summer alleging that Merrill has “refused to take any meaningful action to implement HB 282 and advise voters of their rights, including publicizing the new eligibility requirements on the Secretary of State’s website, updating voter registration forms, or issuing guidance to registrars.” As part of the suit, the group sought, unsuccessfully, to get a judge to force Merrill to promote the new law. In August, Merrill’s office put out a press release about the law.

Asked whether Merrill’s office has done further outreach, his spokesman, John Bennett, says the office worked with the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to place posters in state prisons with instructions for incarcerated individuals to apply for voting rights reinstatement. Though the poster includes a list of felonies that result in disenfranchisement under the new law, nowhere does it mention the new law or the fact that some felonies no longer result in disenfranchisement.

39 minutes ago, nonniey said:

With Biden, Obama and many out of state progressives joining in I'm beginning to suspect they think it is more valuable to lose this seat than win it.   Either way the Democrats are in a win-win situation you can thank Bannon and the Alt-Right for that.

The "alt-right" isn't really "alt" anymore. At the grossroots level, the alt-right seems like mainstream GOP now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

So I wasn't the only one who read Obama getting involved and thought that might be a tactic that hurts the dems in AL more than helps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tshile said:

So I wasn't the only one who read Obama getting involved and thought that might be a tactic that hurts the dems in AL more than helps

It's a robo call the night before the election. Gonna go out on a limb and say it's targeted to the right folks just for getting out the vote. I doubt they are trying to call everyone in the state.

• Like 1

Not all Alabamans are like him. I know quite a few since the DC area and Southern MD is a very transient area due to the Navy/Marines. People may have agreed with him on the 10 commandments thing, but they are not in favor of pedophiles. Some do however believe that he is innocent until proven guilty. I believed he was guilty when he changed his story from knowing them to not knowing them.

Edited by Zguy28

17 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So much for Ivanka's influence on Trump. But she's just female after all.

She is part of the usual pattern:

Why do white women support Roy Moore?

Of course, not all white women. But on the eve of the divisive Alabama Senate special election, a recent Washington Post-Schar School poll reveals a shocking, significant disparity between white women’s support of Moore versus their support of the Democratic candidate, Doug Jones. While the race remains virtually deadlocked, white women support the Republican candidate by a nearly 20 point margin. And Moore holds an incredible 35-point lead among white women without a college degree.

Moore, a 70-year-old former Alabama chief justice, stands accused ofmolesting and assaulting numerous teenage girls — one as young as 14 — in the 1970s. Moore defends these allegations as acts of seduction, and, in conversation with Fox News host Sean Hannity, abdicated responsibility for his actions by implicitly blaming their mothers: “I don’t remember dating any girl without the permission of her mother,” he told Hannity.

So why would women — and specifically white women — support a political candidate who allegedly perpetrates such egregious violence against women and girls?

White female support of Moore also eerily recalls the support white women showed Donald Trump, as do the divisions within the demographic, especially in terms of education and social class. Trump, who has been accused of misogyny, objectification and harassment by a plethora of female victims, won the majority of white women voters throughout the country, carrying white women without college degrees by a huge margin of 64 percent to Hillary Clinton’s 35 percent.

The similarities between white women’s support of Moore and their support of Trump is indicative of a larger historical trend I’ve written about before, in the aftermath of the 2016 U.S. presidential election. White women ally themselves with white men for what they believe is their own gain, security, and assurance, while not realizing the harm caused by the internalized misogyny that fuels their cognitive dissonance and consequential support of men who abuse women.

The historical narrative, as I detailed following Trump’s win, illustrates how white women have thwarted the women’s rights movement from the 19th century onward. They did so by deliberately building coalitions with white men, and specifically racist white men who fought for a version of American traditionalism blatantly rooted in America’s foundations of slavery and systemic racism.

White female suffragists chose alliances with these men rather than forming alliances with black and brown women because they wanted power — rights and privileges — and knew that the people who could give them those rights and privileges were the people already in power: white men. White supremacy, therefore, was white women’s savior and solace — it was the source of their power. This pragmatism fomented racism, deepening racial and ethnic divisions between women that effectively crippled the women’s movement.

NBC News: Roy Moore's White Female Voters Are Part Of A Long History Of Internalized Misogyny

• Like 3

I am just somewhat saddened that in the midst of all the Sturm und Drang lot of people in Alabama are seeing their holiday season wrecked, their state overrun with snotty condescending others treating them poorly, that THIS is the defining narrative for people that have little or no say in any of it. Yes, they have their share of ignorant assholes (who doesn't?) but they also have beautiful women, funny old guys, brave first responders, moms baking up wonderful Xmas goodies, little kids staring rapt at store displays, in other words the entire gamut of humanity that you might find anywhere, and they are Americans too. It is hateful to see us tear at ourselves this way, we have be better than this.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am just somewhat saddened that in the midst of all the Sturm und Drang lot of people in Alabama are seeing their holiday season wrecked, their state overrun with snotty condescending others treating them poorly, that THIS is the defining narrative for people that have little or no say in any of it. Yes, they have their share of ignorant assholes (who doesn't?) but they also have beautiful women, funny old guys, brave first responders, moms baking up wonderful Xmas goodies, little kids staring rapt at store displays, in other words the entire gamut of humanity that you might find anywhere, and they are Americans too. It is hateful to see us tear at ourselves this way, we have be better than this.

Add this to the list of reasons for Moore to excuse himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

Not all Alabamans are like him. I know quite a few since the DC area and Southern MD is a very transient area due to the Navy/Marines. People may have agreed with him on the 10 commandments thing, but they are not in favor of pedophiles. Some do however believe that he is innocent until proven guilty. I believed he was guilty when he changed his story from knowing them to not knowing them.

I think he is probably guilty, and I think this is a coordinated political attack more than concern for the victims/outrage over his actions.

Sucks either side will 'win'.

• Like 1