Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

31 minutes ago, Burgold said:

What you say makes sense to me and yet I do think that some of these super entrenched politicians who have served for thirty plus years may have been at it too long and have either lost their effectiveness, succumbed to corruption, etc. It seems to me that there is a healthy lifespan for public servants. Maybe that's on voters to individually enforce, but we've seen a few Senators who kept their seats years after they became cognitively... well... absent. 

Then set an age limit.   Plus, if the districts are not gerrymandered, many of those clowns will be voted out.  Either way, term limits are a bad idea.  They seem like an easy "commonsense" fix, but they are a lousy idea.   

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -  H. L. Mencken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Then set an age limit.   Plus, if the districts are not gerrymandered, many of those clowns will be voted out.  Either way, term limits are a bad idea.  They seem like an easy "commonsense" fix, but they are a lousy idea.   

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -  H. L. Mencken

I can dig that. An age limit might do exactly what I would want term limits to do. There are ethical problems with age limits too though and we all know some truly sharp 90 year olds and cognitively impacted 70 year olds, but if the answer were simple, easy, or clean we might have done it.

Question would be, I guess, whether an age limit would be discriminatory. I guess a secondary question is whether it is possible to design, administer, or grade fair competency test (if one went that route.)

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I guess a secondary question is whether it is possible to design, administer, or grade fair competency test (if one went that route.)

I guarantee it is, and I also guarantee that the first time such a test could harm one party's chances of holding a seat, especially if that party is in power, that it will get slammed and probably removed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Wasn't Dan Johnson the fake preacher who liked to post racist stuff with black people drawn as apes?

Or was that someone else? 

Well apparently he was a preacher, he was drunk when his daughter’s friend slept over and he sexually assaulted her. He denied the charges but shooting yourself to death on a bridge as members of your party are calling for an investigation is not the way to clear your name.

note: bold highlight of a few fun facts in article text done by me

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/coroner-accused-state-lawmakers-death-is-apparent-suicide/ar-BBGHXFY?li=BBnb7Kz

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Dan Johnson, a Republican state lawmaker in Kentucky who defiantly denied allegations that he sexually assaulted a teenage girl in the basement of his home, died in an apparent suicide, the county coroner said.

The sexual assault accusations came amid a sexual harassment scandal involving other Republican lawmakers that unfolded at the state Capitol.

<edit>

Johnson was elected to the state legislature in 2016, part of a wave of Republican victories that gave the GOP control of the Kentucky House of Representatives for the first time in nearly 100 years. He won his election despite Republican leaders urging him to drop out of the race after local media reported on some of his Facebook posts comparing Barack and Michelle Obama to monkeys.

The pastor of Heart of Fire church in Louisville, Johnson sponsored a number of bills having to do with religious liberty and teaching the Bible in public schools. But he was mostly out of the spotlight until Monday, when the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting published an account from a woman saying Johnson sexually assaulted her in the basement of his home in 2013.

At the time, the woman told police, who investigated the incident but closed the case and did not file charges.

more at link

21 hours ago, Predicto said:

I would propose that it would be different depending on office. For Senator for instance: 2 6 year terms. Then after one cycle off, you can run again for two more if you like. Maybe I'm just jaded since I've lived under Steny Hoyer and Barbara Mikulski most of my life (and I'm 43).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

I would propose that it would be different depending on office. For Senator for instance: 2 6 year terms. Then after one cycle off, you can run again for two more if you like. Maybe I'm just jaded since I've lived under Steny Hoyer and Barbara Mikulski most of my life (and I'm 43).

I understand the frustration.  But the value of having legislators who actually know how to write, evaluate and pass legislation is much more important than people seem to understand.

• Like 1