Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Expectations for DC teams

RichmondRedskin88

I know I probably opened a serious can of worms and that this thread may pop up forever now with random posts.

but

The Nats make it known they expect a championship and nothing else is good enough. 

Wizards are a weird one since they attempt to be contenders but the reality is you have super teams that dominate.

Caps- Hope for a Stanley cup but the window is closing. Still the expectations are high.

Redskins -  I’m not sure what their expectations are to be honest. I’d argue what ever they are they aren’t good enough.

DC United- Once again who knows. Constantly finishing as one of the worst teams and no major changes. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I know I probably opened a serious can of worms and that this thread may pop up forever now with random posts.

but

The Nats make it known they expect a championship and nothing else is good enough. 

Wizards are a the a weird one since they attempt to be contenders but the reality is you have super teams that dominate.

Caps- Hope for a Stanley cup but the window is closing. Still the expectations are high.

Redskins -  I’m not sure what their expectations are to be honest. I’d argue what ever they are they aren’t good enough.

DC United- Once again who knows. Constantly finishing as one of the worst teams and no major changes. 

Thoughts?

LMAO. You're a young guy, aren't you? Word of advice: don't waste your time on that team,

16 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

but

Wizards are a the a weird one since they attempt to be contenders but the reality is you have super teams that dominate.

Thoughts?

Hahaha, there are NO expectations for that team.  They're on the downturn.  They had a 8-10 year window, but that's been slammed shut.  They're the original chokers when it comes to expectations for DC Sports teams.

All of the rest of your prognostications are accurate.

Caps- They are done. They’ll slowly become less competitive each year for the next 3-4 and then will probably reach suck territory. 

Nats- who knows. Could win a championship next year. 2018 is probably their best window, after that they’ll need to re-tool and guys like Scherzer aren’t getting any younger. 

Skins- tough to say. Definitely looked competitive this year before the injury superbug destroyed them. Could be decent to good but probably not great for years to come especially if they re-sign Cousins. Only problem there is the division will tough, with the Cowboys and especially Eagles looking good for the foreseeable future. Also this year the Skins are still Scot’s team. Don’t underestimate the likelihood Allen and Snyder royally **** this up at the first chance they get (like failing to re-sign Cousins).

Dont watch NBA or MLS so I’ll withhold commentary on those teams. 

I think the problem with the Wizards is that they are a victim of the league. The league is set up for two teams to win right now, Golden State and Cleveland. You can talk all you want about how it's a new era and Boston / Minnesota / OKC / Houston / Washington can compete with GS or Cleveland but we all know during playoff time that they'll find some way to lose. The league is WAY too reliant on superstars and super teams. That is the only way to win a championship. Wall and Beal don't have a super team. They won't really make progress IMO until they get Cousins. If you have Cousins playing up front you instantly make that team elite. 

The Wizards will win an NBA title if they can ever acquire a dominant big man or forward to pair with Wall and Beal.

The rest of the teams need a psychologist because choking, wilting under pressure and collapsing in epic ways is part of their identity and they are well aware of it.

The Bullets can't hit free throws or closeout games. 

Not to mention, when you have 3 max contract players...you have a big 3. 

As someone that claims to be a Redskins fan... They are your best bet still. 16 games makes things a lot better. Add on the 3 or 4 playoff games. Still better odds. 

Caps will need a lot of luck to make it happen this season. I want that win more than any of the others though. 

Nats are right there... they are the Braves of the 90's. Braves should have won at least 5. 

United, I wish they could win again, I don't see the talent or coaching right now though. 

The Nats are right there. Sure, they can't win a playoff series, but that's only a thing until it isn't. Houston, Kansas City, Cleveland are recent examples of good teams getting hot at the right time. Any given year with this core, that could be the Nats. Of course, they could also play out their window of opportunity and never reach the LCS, but they are a legitimately contending team. 

The Caps are probably sloping down but still capable of making a run if things fall into place. 

I actually think the Bullets are the most exciting team, but unfortunately would have to overcome either a historically great player or a historically stacked team to win it all. 

The Redskins would have to show me that they could win more than 10 games before I believe that they are even a threat to get to the NFC Championship Game. I think their roster is better than its been, but all that has really done is put them in that "mediocre" category. 

Who cares about soccer. 

25 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

The Bullets can't hit free throws or closeout games. 

Not to mention, when you have 3 max contract players...you have a big 3. 

As someone that claims to be a Redskins fan... They are your best bet still. 16 games makes things a lot better. Add on the 3 or 4 playoff games. Still better odds. 

Caps will need a lot of luck to make it happen this season. I want that win more than any of the others though. 

Nats are right there... they are the Braves of the 90's. Braves should have won at least 5. 

United, I wish they could win again, I don't see the talent or coaching right now though. 

Come on bruh, they have never even won a divisional round.  From 1991-99 the Braves were advancing to the WS or NLCS every year with exception to 1994 due to the strike.  I don't know about winning 5 WS, but it definitely should have been at least 3.  

Don't get me wrong...the Braves were better based off Maddox alone,...unless the Nats somehow figure it out. 

I think a fire sale will come this season. 

That is the second thing I hate most about MLB. 

That is something that we might never get back to. 

Cal Ripken is a legend...based on tenure mostly. 

Same with the NFL. There will never be another D Green ( besides a QB) ...closest we are getting to it is Witten or an OL like Trent. 

1.)Washington Nationals: IF they can get past the 1st rd they're going to win the World Series. (Team with biggest upside)

2.) Washington Wizards: I fully expect to be playing in the Eastern Conference Finals...at least. (Team with second biggest upside)

3.) Washington Capitals: Solid team but the window has closed/is closing.

4.) Washington Redskins: Pretty much irrelevant

DC needs a natural disaster... or maybe a tragedy

houston floods - Astros win series

New Orleans Katrina - saints win super bowl

Marathon Bombing - Sox win series

9/11 - Yanks win series many times after, dc curse too strong for dc to reap any sports wins At the time

I would say the raiders are due bc of Vegas, their soon to be home and maybe Orlando... 

Maybe trump counts as a tragedy...? 

IDK

3 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

9/11 - Yanks win series many times after,

The only WS the Yankees have won after 9/11/01 was in 2009, eight years after. They made it to the Series the year of 9/11, but that was the tail end of the late 90s dynasty and couldn't get past the Schilling/Big Unit-led D'Backs. 

17 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

DC needs a natural disaster... or maybe a tragedy

houston floods - Astros win series

New Orleans Katrina - saints win super bowl

Marathon Bombing - Sox win series

9/11 - Yanks win series many times after, dc curse too strong for dc to reap any sports wins At the time

I would say the raiders are due bc of Vegas, their soon to be home and maybe Orlando... 

Maybe trump counts as a tragedy...? 

IDK

The Yankees did not win a World Series for 8 years after September 11. In 2001 they lost a crippling Game 7 off the bat of Luis Gonzalez.

21 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Come on bruh, they have never even won a divisional round.  From 1991-99 the Braves were advancing to the WS or NLCS every year with exception to 1994 due to the strike.  I don't know about winning 5 WS, but it definitely should have been at least 3.  

It is a bit of recency bias. The 90s Braves were really good, but only succeeded in winning it all once. People associate the failures of the early 2000s with those 90s teams. Since 01, the Braves are 0-7 in the playoffs. Since 2005, they've won 3 playoff games, in total.

They are all horrible. Everyone pretty much already said what I think. 

Capitals- They don't have the heart or desire. They choke every year. I will never have any expectations with that team.

Redskins- Front office is incompetent. Need a new owner. Also lack the player talent. Expectations are always 7-9 at most.

Wizards- A glimmer of hope. Not enough depth. Coaching always seems average. Haven't had a good big man in forever. I like Gortat but he isn't dominant. Morris is good but not your prototypical power forward. Expectations are a playoff appearance and that's about it.

Nats- I don't follow this team that closely but they appear to be right in the mix. They seem to lack the focus and heart as well, lack the clutch gene. I've never thought any of their managers were particularly good either.

Thankfully the DC Curse will be lifted soon and hopefully there will a championship at least once before I die in 2068.

Archived