Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Looking at the schedule now I see 3 loses on deck for the Skins.  Maybe - maybe - without injuries the skins compete for a wild card playoff spot but i don’t know.  Dallas and philly should be competing for nfc east titles for years to come.

This will sound dismissive but, putting the injuries aside (which obviously had a big effect on the outcome) the Skins simply got beat by better, more solid, well rounded team overall.  Eagles seem to have found their identity while the Skins are still searching for theirs.  Eagles made more plays on offense and defense.  Things that stick out to me regarding the Skins lack of consistency on both sides of the ball:

- Running game poses almost no threat

- WR corp still figuring things out

- Oline injuries huge concern

- Secondary's lack of consistency in coverage (Swearinger really got exposed) 

Considering the injuries I feel the Dline has played pretty well,...and LBs.  I'd like to see some more creative looks from the defense overall, especially stunts and blitzes to provide more pressure.

I think it's gonna be tough for this team to win more than 8 games considering where they are and the remaining schedule.

Hey, Mack Brown looked awesome last night, didn't he?

WHERE THE **** IS THIS GUY? He can't even get a SNIFF of the field, but every time he gets the ball, he shows burst.

Honestly, Rob just doesn't impress me,, he has NO vision. 

Maybe i'm just way off, but Brown looks like the best pure RB on the team. Thompson is nice and he's a great change of pace and pass receiving back.. but as an every down guy he's not going to move a pile.

I heard Gruden say he doesn't know the playbook.

???? How do you not know the playbook? Maybe he's bad at blitz pickup, but frankly, that is no reason to not use him at all.

~Bang

1 minute ago, Probos said:

Eagles seem to have found their identity while the Skins are still searching for theirs.

I think you're right and that really frustrates me. This is year four of Gruden's program. His stamp and identity should be all over this team. Eagles are in year two. The Chip Kelly identity is gone. Now, they have a clear identity.

I do think the Eagles are clearly better than us. Part of that is because we blew up the offense and decided to start over with a new receiving corp, part of it is the new play caller, part of it are the injuries, and part of it is that we just don't do anything surprising, novel, or interesting. I still don't understand why if our wide receivers are so bad, we don't play a three tight end formation for half of the game. Paul, Davis, and Reed with Crowder, Doctson, Grant, or Pryor as the one wide out. We can split the TEs wide. Paul and Davis have wide receiver speed. It would play to our strength and create mismatches all over the field. It'd give us some advantage in the run game and possibly in the passing game. Barring that, why do we almost never roll out the QB?

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

Wentz is really good and I can't help thinking that RGIII still haunts us. Can you imagine that the Cleveland Browns signed RGIII as their answer at QB in the spring of 2016 and therefor passed on drafting Wentz? Thanks Cleveland, because of you and what you thought of RGIII- who lasted one injury prone season for you and is now out of the league- Wentz ended up in Philly and now we have to play this beast two times a year for the next 12-15 years.

@fearlessNelms wow, hadn't thought about it this way.... all of a sudden I want to go light myself on fire.... :(

6 minutes ago, Bang said:

Hey, Mack Brown looked awesome last night, didn't he?

WHERE THE **** IS THIS GUY? He can't even get a SNIFF of the field, but every time he gets the ball, he shows burst.

Honestly, Rob just doesn't impress me,, he has NO vision. 

Maybe i'm just way off, but Brown looks like the best pure RB on the team. Thompson is nice and he's a great change of pace and pass receiving back.. but as an every down guy he's not going to move a pile.

I heard Gruden say he doesn't know the playbook.

???? How do you not know the playbook? Maybe he's bad at blitz pickup, but frankly, that is no reason to not use him at all.

~Bang

Rob Kelly is still a full back. That's the position he was drafted at. He doesn't really have vision or niftiness or speed. He sometimes exhibits power. Kelley though wasn't the problem last night. He actually ran pretty well. The bigger problem is that they didn't run him when they should have. What's wrong with taking your big, powerful back on third and one and plowing him into the line?

I hate how slow our offense plays.... all game long.  The few times we show a little hurry up, it is still slow. Down 3 scores 6 minutes left, we looked to already be defeated.  Jay clearly doesn't like hurry up. Kirk may need to just tell Jay to chill and call plays himself for a drive. There is just too much wasted time having to look at the sideline before every single play. I think our offense play calling was suspect all game. First play, Reed was a lead blocker up the middle, and quickly jogged off after that play, presumed in pain. 

I hate how many of our short passes are thrown to the sideline. Tough catches, long throws, pick 6 candidates, sack candidates because they take 3 seconds to run 2 yards downfield, and then 30 yards laterally. And the worst thing is, their DB always seems right there - that play is fooling no one.

I hate that I cannot be mad at our defense outside of a few plays, Wentz looks like the real deal and it's tough to stop him when our offense runs out of gas after the first quarter. I hate zone coverage, it's too easy for great QBs.

I hate that Kirk posted monster numbers yet I am still irritated at some sacks he took, and that out of bounds chuck he does.

I hate that we cannot run the ball, but I don't blame our limited number of rush attempts on the loss.  I hate that we had 4 backs active yet only used 2. I hate that we have CT out in garbage time, doing all the heavy lifting.  Why not Perine or Mack late?

I hate that our prized free agent WR cannot get on the field.  I hate that Crowder only had 3 touches. I hate that Grant is our best WR, but kudos to him.

I hate the Browns and their ineptness in all facets of football.

But I still love football. Slim Pickens today, though. Josh showed a play or 2 of a #1. MattyEYE getting his helmet ripped off while terrorizing Wentz.  l love unfollowing Breeland and just watching him on game day. I love the TE seam and watching Davis run to any open space he can find with DBs in panic mode. I loved that we moved Kerrigan around.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Rob Kelly is still a full back. That's the position he was drafted at. He doesn't really have vision or niftiness or speed. He sometimes exhibits power. Kelley though wasn't the problem last night. He actually ran pretty well. The bigger problem is that they didn't run him when they should have. What's wrong with taking your big, powerful back on third and one and plowing him into the line?

I agree, Kelly wasn't the problem, but he wasn't part of any solutions, either.

the run game flashed, and then was flat.. and it seems to me from my admittedly bad TV vantage,, Rob seems to run INTO pileups when there's space that one step will get him out in space.. he did it again last night.. got about 5 yards, ran up the pile instead of breaking into the clear and probably could have had a lot more.

If the run is anemic, give everyone a chance. Especially when we've seen flash like we have from Brown.

AND, maybe someone can correct me, but I think if you have backup linemen in the game, you run it..  let them go forward and be physical instead of having them get backpedaled and have to do more thinking than pushing. We gave up on it entirely.. and the game wasn't really ever that far out of reach,, try Brown on a third and short.

~Bang

14 minutes ago, Bang said:

I agree, Kelly wasn't the problem, but he wasn't part of any solutions, either.

the run game flashed, and then was flat.. and it seems to me from my admittedly bad TV vantage,, Rob seems to run INTO pileups when there's space that one step will get him out in space.. he did it again last night.. got about 5 yards, ran up the pile instead of breaking into the clear and probably could have had a lot more.

If the run is anemic, give everyone a chance. Especially when we've seen flash like we have from Brown.

AND, maybe someone can correct me, but I think if you have backup linemen in the game, you run it..  let them go forward and be physical instead of having them get backpedaled and have to do more thinking than pushing. We gave up on it entirely.. and the game wasn't really ever that far out of reach,, try Brown on a third and short.

~Bang

Your first sentenced nailed it.. We don't have any skill players that are a solution to the Problem. From QB, WR, RB not one stud. Eagles found a QB, Boys found a RB, Giants had a Wr. We have nothing

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hate how slow our offense plays.... all game long.  The few times we show a little hurry up, it is still slow. Down 3 scores 6 minutes left, we looked to already be defeated. 

I second this. Gruden is one of the few Redskins coaches I've seen who throws in the towel. I've seen a couple of games where it looked like they ran up the white flag before the opening kickoff. 

Down ten points with 90 seconds left is almost surely a loss, but I've seen miracles. I've seen teams pull that off against us. Why pack it in? Why just give up?

41 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think you're right and that really frustrates me. This is year four of Gruden's program. His stamp and identity should be all over this team. Eagles are in year two. The Chip Kelly identity is gone. Now, they have a clear identity.

I think it comes down to personnel, specifically the loss of Jackson and Garcon. With those two threats out there, we DID have an identity. Losing BOTH of those playmakers has hit us a lot harder than any of us thought it would, I think. I knew at least one had to go, and I was in the camp of hanging onto Garcon. I think he would've made a difference for us thus far, a big difference. 

The identity issue also goes beyond the head coach and back to our front office. For all his faults, SM was building an identity for us. Allen chose to dismantle that in the offseason in his typically bizarre fashion. There's no commitment to our QB, who may be gone after the season. That doesn't bode well for identity-building, either. 

As for the Eagles, it's the same thing, but in reverse. Carson Wentz IS their identity right now. Take him out of the equation, and the Eagles are mired in mediocrity like us. They hit on a special player, and that breeds identity. Pederson is doing a good job, but having someone like Wentz to build around makes things considerably easier. 

So yeah, we should have more of an identity by now. A lot of that is on our coach, but a lot of that is also on our clown-show front office who seems to have no understanding or concept of how to nurture the intangibles that build strong teams. 

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I second this. Gruden is one of the few Redskins coaches I've seen who throws in the towel. I've seen a couple of games where it looked like they ran up the white flag before the opening kickoff. 

Down ten points with 90 seconds left is almost surely a loss, but I've seen miracles. I've seen teams pull that off against us. Why pack it in? Why just give up?

HE's really good at coaching with a lead....oh wait. hahhaa

I couldn’t help but miss Desean last night, it seems our biggest deep threat is Vernon Davis. Cousins used to air it out a lot more I feel like, didn’t always connect but still was exciting seeing the deep ball thrown. One positive is Reed getting in the end zone a few times, hopefully he starts getting more loose and getting back to his old form. Definitely missed Norman and his aggressiveness last night, and for god sakes I hope we NEVER play a MNF game again. I hate going to bed that late on a work day not to mention we always lose. 

I'm just not going to get all worked up at losing a road game while beat up to the Philadelphia Eagles.  The Eagles are the best team in the league right now, their QB makes plays that can single handedly win games.  I can argue his long TD pass, his escape and 2nd TD pass to a tight window in the right corner, then the miracle escape on third and long on his own 20 only up a score were the 3 plays that most determined the outcome.  Redkskins get sacks on those last 2 examples and it could have been a different outcome.  Blaming Kirk is not fair, he is far better than the majority of starters around the league. But Wentz is just a special player and as I have agued for years having a top QB is the most important thing any team sport can have. 

You want to trash a free safety for not hanging with a receiver for 50 years as a QB has a clean pocket with plenty of time, then drops a perfect pass in stride?  Go right ahead, I'm not going to do that.   You want to again criticize the officials while overlooking a terrible spot on a Kirk 3rd down scramble that gave us a free first down?  Go right ahead.  .They lost to a better team on the road without all their bullets.  They lost to a special player who made special plays.  That's what happened.  

32 minutes ago, RyansRangers said:

Your first sentenced nailed it.. We don't have any skill players that are a solution to the Problem. From QB, WR, RB not one stud. Eagles found a QB, Boys found a RB, Giants had a Wr. We have nothing

This is so true and it hurts.

52 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I'm concerned about the 5 injured players we had (Scherff, Williams, Moses, Moreau, and Smith).

Yes I am concerned too and who is that SOB that plowed into Schsrff's knee on pourpose?

We had chances early in the game to jump out to a nice 10 - 14 point lead and didn't. The Eagles were pinned down inside their 5 on 1st and 33 and we got a pick which we did nothing with. We're now in year 4 of Jay Gruden and not much has changed as far as results go...we are a .500 team who will be lucky to get a wild card spot, in some part due to injuries for sure. 

Terrelle Pryor is a huge whiff thus far....I don't know if any of us saw that coming when he signed. 

Here's my big concern, we had the Chiefs and Eagles on the ropes in the first half of both Monday night games. Then, the 2nd half was a totally different story. That tells me that Gruden is being out-coached. Growing up watching Joe Gibbs as the master of game plan adjustments at the half, I can see Jay's weakness. 

Final thought, why don't we move Cousins out of the pocket more? When we do, he's outstanding and looks very comfortable. I guess we miss McVay more than we ever realized?

Nick Rose made all his kicks.. that was nice. Good on kickoffs..  had the one FG that barely made it over, but given the snap was bad, good on all involved.

Return game was pathetic,, another fumbled punt and near disaster.

Gave up field position on a punt return.

Kotwika.. don't make me come looking at you.

~Bang

The whole third and short running vs passing issue.  For me it's not the fact that they chose passing plays, it's the specific plays they called that I had an issue with.  Two of the three times they seemed to call plays without a safety valve option to simply move the sticks and nothing more.  The third time was when Reed literally ran less than a yard out on 3rd & 1....he didn't catch the ball anyway, but even if he did....no 1st down.

Those are bad play calls.  it isn't the decision to pass, it's what plays are being called.

Archived