Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Overall: Too little too late, too many injuries, and damn they pulled off a lot of miracle plays.

Offense: A tale of two halves. First half they were aggressive and mostly effective. Second half they went conservative and fell apart. The play I hate most is 3rd and one in shot gun. Why tip off the defense!!! It's a stupid play and we do it over and over again. Running game was actually okay, but sparsely used. Passing game was only effective when we threw to our tight ends. The play where Scherff was hurt was a dirty play. **** dove straight at a lineman's knees. Play where Kirk was intercepted there should have been a roughing the passer penalty. As for Cousins, there are sacks you can not take. When you are outside the pocket and you see the rusher coming at you you don't hold the ball. You heave it out of bounds. The rules favor you. He took several sacks via stupidity.

Offense Overall: C

Defense: Another tale of two halves. Wentz has a talent for backbreakers. Way too many miracle plays and beautiful perfect passes. The football gods were against us. I actually don't think we played that bad, but damn every lucky bounce and every ridiculous play that couldn't possibly work out for the Eagles did. In the second half, they had their way with us.

Overall Defense: I don't even know how to grade us. I'm torn between a B and a D and I think both grades are warranted.

Special Teams: We gave up a return. We fumbled a return. Kickoffs were fine. We almost screwed up an extra point.

Overall ST: D

Coaching: What do you do when five guys all pile on the QB and he somehow bounces out. I thought we went into a shell offensively and trusted in the defense too much. The early gameplan worked. Then we went short, short, short. We are ****ing afraid of 3rd and one. We missed it twice. Once on a completed pass and once on a what the hell throw.

Refs: Refs really swallowed their whistles after the Eagles' first drive. **** em.

Our gameplan was solid early and we executed well.

Where the game got out of control was that sequence with the botched 3rd and 2/1 playcalls into the Wentz TD bomb. Completely changed the entire game around.

After that the affects of the injuries started piling up, we fell behind which took us out of our comfort zone, and the avalanche fell. That and of course, Wentz just made every single huge play. What can you do...

Tough game. I think with some different playcalls by Gruden maybe the game goes in a different direction.

On to Dallas....

I can make an argument that we played pretty well. I can make an argument we were terrible. I can't really make an argument that the Eagles weren't better. I think Kirk is the epitome of this game. Some very good on target throws mixed with some weird sprays where no receiver was within ten yards of where Kirk through the ball. Dunbar had a very nice game as did Breeland (who played a really gutsy game on a bad knee).

It would have been nice to play them with a roster that wasn't a M*A*S*H unit.

Two plays on offense and two plays on defense decided this game. Both weak 3rd and 1 calls on offense and the breakdown in coverage on the long touchdown as well as the Wentz scramble when he should have been down. We are flirting with solid but can't quite take that step. 

Terrible terrible short yardage play calling. A hallmark of Gruden's tenure. He's a big part of the problem, and I felt his playcalling took us out of the game on offense in the first half and put too much pressure on a defense that was short handed. The D gave us a ton of opportunities and we completely squandered them. Can't do that against a good team on the road. All of those drives needed to result in points. We went three and out after critical defensive stops.  We never established the running game. There was absolutely no flow to the play calling. Gruden looked clueless all game. This was his worst performance to me. Im done with him. I've seen enough. He needs to go. 

3 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Two plays on offense and two plays on defense decided this game. Both weak 3rd and 1 calls on offense and the breakdown in coverage on the long touchdown as well as the Wentz scramble when he should have been down. We are flirting with solid but can't quite take that step. 

There was also just the idiocy on a number of second and short calls. Kelley picks up 8 on first down and we immediately go away from him. Pound the rock!!!!! Tire them out. Set up the play action. This is simple basic stuff and Gruden is just clueless. He's just too dumb to do this job. Other coaches run circles around him. 

The offense disappears for 2+ qtrs every game. There is no running game. The play calling is so stupid sometimes. Now with injuries mounting I don’t see any way they can win more than a few more games.

we have no receivers!

the D is depleted but giving up 34 points is atrocious.

Philly clearly had the better qb, coach, running game, D and team. It’s going to suck watching wentz torch the division for the next decade.

so sick of getting embarrased on MNF. 

Ya I’m pissed and fed up.

On Pilly:

Philly looks very good.  The DL suffocated Washington's offense.  Cousins was lucky to get the ball out quickly to short targets before getting swallowed up by Philly's rush.  The Skins couldn't run so Cousins had to chuck and duck all night. 

Wentz reminds me of a young Roethlisberger.  A big, strong, mobile playmaker who played extremely well tonight.  But as well as he played it was the Philly front 7 that really impressed me.  They could win the Super Bowl.

On Washington:

The Skins are really beaten up right now.  They are better than they were last year, I think significantly better but they are very beaten up.  The OL is really hurting now, a night against the Eagle DL didn't help.

The Skins can win a wildcard this year if they get healthier.  Philly has a much better team and barring injuries and a collapse will win the division but the Skins can still make it to the playoffs and get some playoff experience.

5 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Terrible terrible short yardage play calling. A hallmark of Gruden's tenure. He's a big part of the problem, and I felt his playcalling took us out of the game on offense in the first half and put too much pressure on a defense that was short handed. The D gave us a ton of opportunities and we completely squandered them. Can't do that against a good team on the road. All of those drives needed to result in points. We went three and out after critical defensive stops.  We never established the running game. There was absolutely no flow to the play calling. Gruden looked clueless all game. This was his worst performance to me. Im done with him. I've seen enough. He needs to go. 

There was also just the idiocy on a number of second and short calls. Kelley picks up 8 on first down and we immediately go away from him. Pound the rock!!!!! Tire them out. Set up the play action. This is simple basic stuff and Gruden is just clueless. He's just too dumb to do this job. Other coaches run circles around him. 

Establish the running game?  How do they do that went the entire OL can barely stand?

You can’t make an argument we played well because we didn’t. We were never aggressive, Burg. Sorry. We weren’t.

I may have missed it, but im not sure Kirk Cousins threw the ball more than 20 yards in the air all night long sans the FOURTH DOWN END OF GAME THROWAWAY. That’s capitalized strictly for emphasis. 

He took sacks he cant take, either.

The Skins abandoned the run game, which,  while not overly successful, made it impossible for the PA to continue to work.

Tight Ends has 13 receptions for 163 yards and two TD. Our receivers are virtually non existent. Our running game was abandoned and non existent. 

The defense looked good when when they were getting pressure in their man coverage looks. But when Philly adjusted the Skins NEVER got out of that look and crossers/quick outs and mismatches destroyed us.

I’m not sitting here and claiming we’re doomed or this team is finished and can’t make a run. 

But I am saying that no one can say they were aggressive at any point. Up 10-3 they could have went for the jugular. Instead they folded like a cheap lawn chair. 

They played poorly as a whole. It’s okay to admit. Dallas is Sunday and I’m sure they’ll come ready to play.

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Establish the running game?  How do they do that went the entire OL can barely stand?

O line was standing just fine at the beginning of the game. Kelley was running hard and picking up 5-7 yards a carry. We should have kept with it instead of these worthless low percentage outs on third and short. I mean at least run a slant. This is play calling 101. 

Both teams were almost evenly matched stat wise. We had the ball for 20 secs more but failed in the passing game. We had more rushing yards them. So the game should have been a lot closer than it really was. The refs not seeing the late hit on Kirk spotted them 7 and Jay not calling better plays on 2nd 1 pretty much sealed the game. Those two go our ways we had this win. 

Tough loss. It is hard to get really mad (not feeling a moral victory either). Philly just has a good team this year. They almost remind me of the mid 2000's Steelers but with a worse secondary.  The injuries suck, if there was any game we really needed Norman it was tonight.

I do hope we make wildcard. I want one more crack at them this season.

And another thing, Cousins has zero awareness. He's like an automaton. Numerous times this game he missed open receivers, took sacks he can't take and either didn't recognize blitzes or did but didn't adjust. Another middling performance by him under the lights. We'd be nuts to sign this guy to some massive contract. 

Really not seeing the growth I would have liked to see from Cousins this season. A lot of this could be Gruden's fault. 

Wait, people think the Eagles defense is good? We were moving the ball on them at will.  They sacked Kirk ONCE in the first half (and that was because he held on to the ball too long).  The other sacks came when Scherff was out, Moses was hobbled and we were shifting people in and out. I don't believe in the Eagles defense AT ALL.  I actually think that will be their undoing. I was surprised at how easily we moved the ball on them frankly. 

Having said that, this is the worst game Jay Gruden has called since he's been here I think. There's no excuse for those 3rd and short yardage calls. NONE. Gruden is actually football stupid sometimes. I mean, you have 3rd and short with about 2 minutes and you KNOW they get the ball back to start the second half. Why would you throw it on 3rd and short? Not only to stop the clock but to give them the ball back with ample time to score (which they DID). 

Also I know everyone likes Manusky and I don't think you can argue what Tomsula has done with the defensive line but Manusky seems completely INCAPABLE of making second half adjustments.  With the exception of the Raiders game I have never seen him make adjustments in the second half that made the unit play better. He HAS TO be better at it. 

Lastly, Kirk took too many sacks. Throw the ball away. You can't hold on to the ball forever in the NFL.  Throw it away!

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But I am saying that no one can say they were aggressive at any point. Up 10-3 they could have went for the jugular. Instead they folded like a cheap lawn chair. 

I thought some of the downfield plays to Davis early on and some of the first down passes/play action fakes hinted at aggression (in the first quarter). You're probably right though. I think they came out swinging and then did exactly as you say. You are right that they went conservative and scared after they went up 10-3. It's like they think they have a defense that shuts teams out. They turn it off at the first hint of a lead. They did the same thing against the 49ers.

Again, we’re stuck in the ooze of mediocrity with 85% of the league. Just bang average across the board. Somehow the Iggles hit the lottery and could win a ****ing super bowl. 

Anyways, we’ll be in the playoff hunt and it’ll come down to coin flip plays because we’re average af and conservative at all times 

I’m personally done with Gruden. He expects every game to be close and thus, plays scared. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I thought some of the downfield plays to Davis early on and some of the first down passes/play action fakes hinted at aggression (in the first quarter). You're probably right though. I think they came out swinging and then did exactly as you say. You are right that they went conservative and scared after they went up 10-3. It's like they think they have a defense that shuts teams out. They turn it off at the first hint of a lead. They did the same thing against the 49ers.

yep. I really hope gruden can start to realize that the defense isn't at that level yet where the offense can start to play conservative after getting a lead in a game. I don't understand why that even happens at all.one would think he'd learn to keep the foot on the pedal. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

yep. I really hope gruden can start to realize that the defense isn't at that level yet where the offense can start to play conservative after getting a lead in a game. I don't understand why that even happens at all.one would think he'd learn to keep the foot on the pedal. 

I don't totally know if it is Gruden or Kirk. Part of me thinks that Kirk goes into super-safe mode once we have a lead. I even heard him say something to that effect when he was mic'ed up last week.

Whichever of them it is (or both) It's past time they learned their lesson. This happens way too often.

Just now, Burgold said:

I don't totally know if it is Gruden or Kirk. Part of me thinks that Kirk goes into super-safe mode once we have a lead. I even heard him say something to that effect when he was mic'ed up last week.

Whichever of them it is (or both) It's past time they learned their lesson. This happens way too often.

I do remember him saying that during the video. at this point I doubt anything will change though. 

Well...  I think we had a reality check to night against a team who could have beat us worse than they did, but they eased up off the gas at times.  As fans we have to accept that these Washington Redskins ars mediocre at best right now.

Enough talking about how we did this or that to the Raiders.  They are semi-garbage.  The 49ers game was probably a red flag that we should have took notice of, because the Cowboys went through them like a hot knife through butter and we were probably a BS offensive PI call on Garcon from losing to them on our own soil.

We have to learn how to win the big games man.  Im disappointed, not because of the loss, but moreso how we got owned.  I read a poster earlier talk about how the media doesn't mention us on the weekly top NFL rankings.  Why should they?  The best thing we've done this year was give the Chiefs a serious run in which we could have won.

Other than that....  pretty much nothing worthy of gaining the media's respect.  We had a chance to MAKE them talk about us in this week's rankings....  but what happened...  we choked....  again.

Archived