Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dustin Hopkins is out for the season

lavar1156

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

This sucks big time. This is gonna cost games. Nice that this guy has a big leg but his college stats are not crazy. 

I just never get how bad teams handle this. It always feel like they just call some guys. Let them kick for a day at there facility and just sign one. Why don't start camp with more kickers. Gain Intel and then put one on the practise squad. Now it just feels like you grab a random guy from the street. 

I agree that a little competition in camp isn't a bad thing, but Practice squad spots are too valuable for a seldom injured position like Kicker. Perhaps after camp keep his number on Dannys phone and make sure Bruce "likes" most of his FB posts.

14 hours ago, Unbias said:

The 80 yarder looks good, but then there's also this one:

I'm hoping that's something that doesn't linger in a kicker's head, but I sorta know it would with me.

Here he is tinkering with his technique:

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

You must be new to watching the Redskins ...

Because this team is never this lucky.  Hell we finally found a borderline elite QB and as you can see we jumped all over that one also.  The Eagles are getting us at our very worse.  Possibly two starting corners out, our 1 one rookie out, our starting kicker out, our starting SS out (or at least our SS safety that was slated as a starter in the beginning of the season) and our LT barely walking.

If by some miracle we win this game, we can go down as having the deepest roster in our history, well unless we talk about the strike year.  :)

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I haven't had confidence in a Hopkins kick in quite some time.  Go figure, we pick up a guy I also won't have any confidence in either.  Not that veteran kickers don't come out and crap the bed too, but I would feel more comfortable with an old dude that's pretty good from under 50 on Monday Night Football.

There is usually a reason why a vet kicker is available during the season, so it likely they will crap the bed, even if it's just a little.  Like mud trails on the sheets.

I'd rather have Younghou Koo who used to be on the Chargers.  He got the rookie yips pretty bad, but I'm surprised they gave up on him so quickly.... especially since one of his misses was on a blocked kick.  He certainly has a better college record....

"Koo hit 95 percent of his field goals his senior year at Georgia Southern, only missing one field goal, as well as one extra point. He was the second-most accurate kicker in 2016 and was named third-team All-American, the first Eagle to accomplish that goal since Georgia Southern moved to the FBS in 2014. He was also a finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is awarded to the best kicker in college football."

https://boltbeat.com/2017/09/19/should-chargers-kicker-younghoe-koo-get-the-boot/

Mrs Skinsfan and I are firmly in the  , "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" club" when it comes to Hopkins. 

He ruined the London game for us last year.  They shouldn't have even let him on the plane for the ride home.  At games, I literally turn around and face the wall when he kicks.  I have zero confidence in him. Zilch. Nada.  Good riddance.

I am not heartbroken over Hopkins either, but I just can't grasp signing a kicker with zero NFL appearances who had accuracy issues in college and throwing him into the fire on MNF on the road. He must have been super impressive in his tryout.

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs Skinsfan and I are firmly in the  , "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" club" when it comes to Hopkins. 

He ruined the London game for us last year.  They shouldn't have even let him on the plane for the ride home.  At games, I literally turn around and face the wall when he kicks.  I have zero confidence in him. Zilch. Nada.  Good riddance.

Same way in my household.  Which is a shame because he was a pleasure to meet at Redskins Rides last year and was really cool to my son and his friend.  I just couldn't wrap my head around how we never even brought any competition in after he directly contributed to 3 losses last year.  He seems to have more draw and fade on his FG kicks than any kicker I can think of and it makes me weary as hell every time one goes up.

Archived