Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - 49ers at Redskins

TK

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

Team still doesn’t have that killer instinct. They go up but always let the other team come back. Like they get comfortable with a lead. 

imo that all starts with Gruden. he refused to keep his foot on the gas/opponent's necks. either with end of the half play-calling or end of game play-calling. so frustrating 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Any luck in this game most definitely didn't go our way. From the Vernon fumble to the non-Hoyer fumble to Hopkins missed EP to that garcon catch on sidelines to the insane amount of injuries to our secondary. 

Sure they got lucky.  Skins should have lost. Injuries are just an excuse, Davis should of went down instead of trying for more yards and Garçon made a great catch.  

Game shouldn’t have been close.  

2 minutes ago, Jacoby66forHOF said:

Sure they got lucky.  Skins should have lost. Injuries are just an excuse, Davis should of went down instead of trying for more yards and Garçon made a great catch.  

Game shouldn’t have been close.  

All niner games are close. They've lost their last 5 by a combined 14 points. None by more than 3. Decent teams in their as well.

im also not talking about excuses. I'm talking about luck. We had a lot of bad luck in it. A lot of injuries are bad luck. Simple as that. No one would be using that as an excuse.

The 49ers blew it at the end. Ball on our 40 with like 30 seconds to go and everything had been a catch up until that Garcon penalty play. All they needed was another 5 to 10 yards. We should've been toast. 

Seems like once the Redskins went up  17 Gruden went into goofy playcalling mode and Cousins turned into Red Grossman before the half.  

As disgusted and weak weenie I think Gruden's play selection in that last series was our Defense came through....again pretty depleted at CB.  And look at the scores of the games San Fran has played  this year?  They are not a bad team.  They are young and somewhat undisciplined. Lots of mistakes.  I tell you what at the end of the day Garcon gave us the game.  How ironic is that?  

They could just as easily be 4-1 or even with today's showing be  5-1. However decent teams find a way and teams that are not quite there yet lose these types of games.

In all my years as a Skins fan I have watched us lose these types of games.  And it was natural for us to think and feel that way again - but they came through. HTTR!!!  

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Any luck in this game most definitely didn't go our way. From the Vernon fumble to the non-Hoyer fumble to Hopkins missed EP to that garcon catch on sidelines to the insane amount of injuries to our secondary. 

Agreed.  Luck heavily favored the 49ers today.  Wasn't enough.

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I am seriously back to a sell position on Jay, he is not shown growth. Clock mgt. is not good. Play design while great, mix is lackluster. Running the ball three times when you are closing the game out is coaching scared. You don't win the big game coaching scared. 

exactly where I stand with him. It's what separate him from the great coaches in this league and I'm tired of saying to myself "coach xyz would've done that" or "done this". he's too many years in to still being learning this/making these mistakes 

Just now, Birdlives said:

In the end we did just beat a rookie QB, a back up QB, and a winless team all in one. Really hoping we exorcised those curses.

That's a strong long suffering Redskins fan take.  This is exactly the kind of game we lose.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

All niner games are close. They've lost their last 5 by a combined 14 points. None by more than 3. Decent teams in their as well.

True, but good teams don’t need to hang on to win when leading 17-0.  Especially when a team brings in a rookie 3rd round QB.  

Skins still need another year of developing their young players and adding more quality depth and they won’t struggle with bad teams.  And they need to resign Cousins. 

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

I am seriously back to a sell position on Jay, he is not shown growth. Clock mgt. is not good. Play design while great, mix is lackluster. Running the ball three times when you are closing the game out is coaching scared. You don't win the big game coaching scared. 

I agree with you generally, but with the ball and clock where it was and 2 TOs for SF, you really have to run it there. 

3 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Why would you blame Gruden, the players need to execute.  I heard the same stuff last year when Mcvay was calling plays, it was always coaching.

My biggest problem with Gruden is forcing the run even though it was ineffective on first down. Worse yet, he was running Chris Thompson. A 180 pound guy is not who should be running on first down unless you're throwing.

2 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

exactly where I stand with him. It's what separate him from the great coaches in this league and I'm tired of saying to myself "coach xyz would've done that" or "done this". he's too many years in to still being learning this/making these mistakes 

http://es.redskins.com/topic/417032-jay-gruden-buy-or-sell-2017-edition/

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

Dunbar needs to catch these passes instead of just “tipping” them. Someone needs to make a play instead of hoping the other teams loses it for you.

Explains why he made the switch from wr.

I'm not going to say that was a good win, but however ugly it was, we deserved it. Getting the W when losing the turnover battle (the fuller pick was just a game sealer) has always been a rare feat for us.

But good baby Jesus we need to get healthy. These injuries are out of control. 

I'm convinced that this entire damn team has Multiple Personality Disorder. Pretty much every aspect of it does a Jekyll and Hyde. Coaching, defense, QB, offense...every damn thing. 

And I am so goddamn sick of HCs who coach scared. That 3 straight predictable runs when they had shut own our run game until then with 2 full minutes left was absolutely piss scared coaching. 

I'm still waiting to see a team that goes out and dominates the whole game and actually puts a ton of points on the board instead of having a good drive every once in a while and having to eek out wins.

Archived