Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Just now, Llevron said:

Clearly not what hes saying. Hes attempting to compromise. All guns should be locked up but telling gun nuts that is like telling them they need to sell off a child and give the profits to Obama. 

Agreed, guns definitely should be locked up.  They were in my house, I couldn't get access to them.  Big ass safe, sat in the garage, you'd have to take it out with a forklift.   Didn't know the code, still don't.

But that's not reality for everyone.  Enforcing that is way too hard.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

But that's not reality for everyone.  Enforcing that is way too hard.  

Right, which is why he is trying to preemptively compromise by saying "two or three" guns. 

Whats ****ed up about all this is that almost everyone wants to help. We all want this **** to change with the exception of one group. The NRA is more worried about profits than lives, and thats clear, and they are the people we are going to listen to. 

Its ****ed. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Noting that the further removed we are from this tragedy, the more dug in either side gets.

Its never going to change. 

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

Did they break any laws?  (Other than lying to police?)  

I

Lying to police is a serious charge if they push it.

Conspiracy charges  are a possibility, need better detail on the weapons to tell on weapons charges or stolen goods

In the case down in Southern MD, the father does have a Federal firearms license,, however, the weapons were unsecured.. to put it mildly. He has been charged with things related to that, and their proximity to minors. 

The 2 teenagers have been charged with threatening a mass shooting.

There are a lot of FFL around.. and many of them from our area are speaking up in regards to our article on our social media outlets condemning how this guy managed his weapons, and seemed to be oblivious to his son's behavior.

good work by the St. Mary's County sheriff dept, Sheriff Cameron, and the concerned parents who blew the whistle

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little out of the loop. What's the deal with the bump stock legislation? After the madman on the strip rained down full auto fire on a group of innocent people, you'd think it shouldn't be hard to ban something that turns a deadly military rifle into an insanely deadly military rifle.

Let me guess: Legislation killed by the NRA and Republicans?

Today in Scott County High School, Kentucky....yes by all means lets add MORE guns into this environment.

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

I'm a little out of the loop. What's the deal with the bump stock legislation? After the madman on the strip rained down full auto fire on a group of innocent people, you'd think it shouldn't be hard to ban something that turns a deadly military rifle into an insanely deadly military rifle.

NRA initially came out against but QUICKLY bactracked. Now Trump is calling for a ban. 

1 shooting and bumpstovks are banned, 20+ years of school shootings and AR’s are still sold easily without background checks.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So three guns can't do any harm, but if we've got 4 or 5...pump the breaks, put em in a safe!  

No, but 

If you've only got 1 gun, then the most an unauthorized person can get his hands on, from you, is 1 gun. 

If you've only got 1 gun, and I mandate that you put it in a safe, I've seriously impaired your self defense capability. If you've got 6 guns, and I mandate that you put one in a safe (your choice), then not so much. 

Similarly, if you've got 1 gun, and I mandate a safe, I've imposed an additional financial burden. If you've got 8 guns, and I mandate a safe for three of them, it's not so much. 

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm pretty sure they said it should have been handled by the ATF, so no "new" legisitation should have been needed, because since 1986 you cannot sell a fully automatic weapon that was manufactured after 1986.   Of course with no pressure on the ATF to actually enforce this, the NRA could just throw their hands up and say "its up to them".  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

No, but 

If you've only got 1 gun, then the most an unauthorized person can get his hands on, from you, is 1 gun. 

If you've only got 1 gun, and I mandate that you put it in a safe, I've seriously impaired your self defense capability. If you've got 6 guns, and I mandate that you put one in a safe (your choice), then not so much. 

Similarly, if you've got 1 gun, and I mandate a safe, I've imposed an additional financial burden. If you've got 8 guns, and I mandate a safe for three of them, it's not so much. 

Makes sense, but I still wouldn't know how to enforce the safe.  You'd have to have something like one of those ankle bracelets that people on house arrest wear .  

Amongst laws I am for would be people being put on a watch list that have a certain amount of guns/ammo.  Or a mixture of certain types of guns.  Like if you have a bolt action hunting rifle, that's not going to set off any alarms.  But if you go on a spending spree and purchase a lot of automatic weapons, you should be on a list.  Or have someone come to make sure you're not a threat to shoot up a place. 

I'm not sure if it's been posted but this is worth a read.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/02/21/switzerland-loves-its-guns-but-mass-shootings-rare/358500002/

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

The guy literally hired to engage the shooter failed to act.

The guy armed with a gun to stop this EXACT type of incident sat back and waited.

Perhaps he was following the protocol they had not long ago, secure the perimeter and wait for superman.(SWAT)

See why arming more people is better now?

Most don't have the option .

Just now, twa said:

Perhaps he was following the protocol they had not long ago, secure the perimeter and wait for superman.(SWAT)

He was put on administrative leave today, then he resigned.

I’m guessing he didn’t follow protocol.

And no, your idea is still ridiculous and absurd. An LEO failed to respond but you want math teachers to charge in. 

Just stop it.

He was put on administrative leave today, then he resigned.

I’m guessing he didn’t follow protocol.

And no, your idea is still ridiculous and absurd. An LEO failed to respond but you want math teachers to charge in. 

Just stop it.

a coach charged in UNARMED.....because you don't want the risk

Police are not required to risk their lives,something you should keep in mind

Thankfully most do.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The guy literally hired to engage the shooter failed to act.

The guy armed with a gun to stop this EXACT type of incident sat back and waited.

I'm not onboard with arming teachers, too much liability and risk, but your take on this officers failure is backwards.  If police can't be relied on, then you have to plan to defend yourself by other means.  It is not an argument for doing nothing.

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Makes sense, but I still wouldn't know how to enforce the safe.  You'd have to have something like one of those ankle bracelets that people on house arrest wear .  

Agreed. Safe storage would be tough to enforce. Because it happens in the home. 

Either you have to have random unannounced home inspections, (nah, nobody could possibly object to that!), or you're reduced to prosecuting people after there's been a tragedy. 

33 minutes ago, twa said:

Well, this was your worst post of the day... I think.

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm not onboard with arming teachers, too much liability and risk, but your take on this officers failure is backwards.  If police can't be relied on, then you have to plan to defend yourself by other means.  It is not an argument for doing nothing.

I think his line of thinking, is that when **** goes down, teachers with a gun are likely to run and hide just the same as a resource officer would.

Whats more likely though, is that teacher with a gun goes off his rocker and shoots another teacher or students.  Or a teacher with a gun goes all “white cop, black criminal” and shoots a kid who was unarmed because of their own fear.

Edited by Springfield

20 minutes ago, twa said:

a coach charged in UNARMED.....because you don't want the risk

Police are not required to risk their lives,something you should keep in mind

Thankfully most do.

All I have heard about the coach is that he died protecting the students. “Protecting” has a wide variance of interpretation.

If the POLICE cannot be counted on to intervene, you want teachers to do so.

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

If the police can’t find it in themselves to intervene during a school shooting then you get new police. You don’t put the gun in the hands of a teacher. This is an argument for professionalism in law enforcement, NOT for making educators law enforcers.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Just ask WV teachers if they want to intervene.

Hmmm better wait ‘til Monday, I hear the schools are all closed tomorrow.

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Today in Scott County High School, Kentucky....yes by all means lets add MORE guns into this environment.

That video has tons wrong with it. Kids have zero respect anymore (yes, I know how old I sound). When I was in school, if an armed officer started to break up an altercation that was about to turn into a fight, you can sure as **** believe we weren’t going to escalate to throwing blows OVER the cop. 

• Like 2

All I have heard about the coach is that he died protecting the students. “Protecting” has a wide variance of interpretation.

If the POLICE cannot be counted on to intervene, you want teachers to do so.

if you believe the sheriff

Feis died "running toward danger while others were correctly running away from danger," Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said at today's funeral

http://abcnews.go.com/US/funeral-held-today-football-coach-killed-protecting-students/story?id=53272195

of course it could be hyperbole 

add

What I want is a option other than waiting to die or throwing things at a shooter for those capable and willing.....next some of you will claim someone could get hurt trying to disarm a shooter barehanded.

Edited by twa