Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

15 hours ago, visionary said:

This is an example of why speaking about gun control in general isn't helpful.  People need to understand what the current situation is and what specifically can be done to address incidents like this school shooting.  While I appreciate some people want to make any progress, and would see that as a sort of victory, I have a kid in school and I'd like something that does address this issue specifically.  This is not to say this is the only thing I want, but it feels like it should be a priority at this particular time.  I want to know what can be done to specifically prevent the sort of shootings we've seen in schools.  An important part of that is what can be done when a possible threat is identified.  The answer currently seems to be essentially, nothing at all.  That's a problem right?  So how do we change that?  Seems like we're wasting our time if the only thing authorities can do when they find a ticking time bomb is ask it nicely not to explode.  

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Seems like we're wasting our time if the only thing authorities can do when they find a ticking time bomb is ask it nicely not to explode.  

Making it harder to get access to bombs that tick would be one approach. And an approach that seems to work well pretty much everywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Making it harder to get access to bombs that tick would be one approach. And an approach that seems to work well pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Sounds simple when you leave out the process for making changes to the constitution.  That's almost certainly what it would take to match the rest of the world on gun control.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

Sounds simple when you leave out the process for making changes to the constitution.  That's almost certainly what it would take to match the rest of the world on gun control.  

I don't know. From what I understand it's the interpretation of constitution by the supreme court that is the issue. If that's the case why can't their interpretation change? 

Now, I have no idea if that's possible or how it would work but just putting it out there for discussion (assuming it isn't shot down)

27 minutes ago, Destino said:

Yep - which is a summary of this thread and every thread we have had on gun control. 

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don't know. From what I understand it's the interpretation of constitution by the supreme court that is the issue. If that's the case why can't their interpretation change? 

Now, I have no idea if that's possible or how it would work but just putting it out there for discussion (assuming it isn't shot down)

2nd amendment as state right instead of individual may become the holy grail of the left like Roe is for the right.  

36 minutes ago, twa said:

and how many years have we been fighting Roe?

Not prognosticating who will win.  Merely saying that this has the potential to turn into another all or nothing political battle instead of trying to compromise on a middle ground.

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

anticipating that the next move will be to arm your children at as young of an age as possible with your political beliefs to make sure they follow what you think they should. Think religion but more "I hate everyone" if you can imagine that. 

Just look at how many people in the "used to be a Republican" thread started. How many thought that's what they were because that's what they were taught they were?  Insert a broken education system and a third of millennials vote for Trump.

Edited by Renegade7

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Back in '08, Supreme Court went 5-4, but it was about connecting the right to militia service versus everyone having the right.  Saying only people with current or prior military / nation guard service gets it treated as a right and everyone else treated like a privilege sounds like a legislative nightmare.

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapons whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose,"

-Justice Antonin Scalia