Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Just now, twa said:

tactical teaming,gang rushing the shooter ect are things to teach kids IF you can't get them out or defend them.

I'm not even joking I think training them how to survive the situation is a better idea than not. And it can be a lesson in teamwork/ Critical thinking. Again, better than history. 

And I love Enders Game. You ever watched that ****??

10 hours ago, Springfield said:

What are we even doing here?  What kind of society are we trying to create?  One where a person has to carry a gun on them at all times to feel safe?  I don’t want that.

Was talking about that with a friend in Sunday school a while ago. We're both convinced that the NRA won't be happy until everyone is packing, and we can have shootout duels in the streets a la the Wild West.

Hyperbole? Possibly, but do you think we were really that far off?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

.but I don't remember  one valuable thing from the first twelve years of school.its a waste of life and time, aside from interacting with a few people.

Maybe learning how to write? Seems a kind of important skill and one that you're using even now on this very board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, twa said:

I'd say you do far more of it than me.....and louder

gun training is a life skill and adds to safe handling both for owners and those that encounter them.....teach em to make change too.

Just who is gonna pay for the entire populace to get required gun training?

GOP take their "tax break" back? 

Just more ill-logic.

Just now, Long n Left said:

Just who is gonna pay for the entire populace to get required gun training?

GOP take their "tax break" back? 

Just more ill-logic.

They could make it instead of a few of their field trips.....people volunteer to teach all the time.

we are talking about schools still right?

30 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Was talking about that with a friend in Sunday school a while ago. We're both convinced that the NRA won't be happy until everyone is packing, and we can have shootout duels in the streets a la the Wild West.

In the Wild West, nobody was allowed to have a gun in town but the sheriff.  

(That's because, in the Wild West, the Second Amendment didn't give people the right to bear arms.)  

Just now, Larry said:

In the Wild West, nobody was allowed to have a gun in town but the sheriff.  

(That's because, in the Wild West, the Second Amendment didn't give people the right to bear arms.)  

not quite accurate, townies had guns....just less need to carry them if you disarm threats and the unknown....and have them nearby

see how distinctions matter there?

50 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm not even joking I think training them how to survive the situation is a better idea than not. And it can be a lesson in teamwork/ Critical thinking. Again, better than history. 

And I love Enders Game. You ever watched that ****??

Every classroom should have one of these:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/20/wisconsin-teen-invents-device-to-protect-students-during-shooting.html

Image result for bar to block door in classroom

Every teacher should have one of these:

Image result for ballistic blanket

And every kid should have one of these:

Image result for ballistic mat for kids

Bar the door, preventing entry. Teacher puts on ballistic shield and ushers kids into area where kids can form a sort of Roman phalanx with the mats.

Image result for roman phalanx

• Like 1

Just now, Long n Left said:

Hyperbole? Possibly, but do you think we were really that far off?

I hear a lot about the NRA in here ,not near as much about this

Dana Loesch Retweeted Broward Sheriff

You didn’t stand up for them when they repeatedly reported that this murderer was threatening them in messages that violated FL law, his parents reported he “held a gun to others’ heads;” 39 visits and 2 FBI reports and NOTHING. It’s literally your job. Not mine.

Dana Loesch added,

Broward SheriffVerified account @browardsheriff
“You are NOT standing up for these students.” - Sheriff Israel to @NRA spokeswoman.
259 replies1,219 retweets2,649 likes

6 minutes ago, twa said:

not quite accurate, townies had guns....just less need to carry them if you disarm threats and the unknown....and have them nearby

see how distinctions matter there?

Wyatt Earp tried to get elected Sheriff, lost the election, then had Virgil pull strings in the capitol, get Virgil appointed as town Marshall, then deputize Wyatt, so that Wyatt could carry a gun in Tombstone.  

This does not quite seem to be a case of "townies had guns".  

10 minutes ago, twa said:

I hear a lot about the NRA in here ,not near as much about this

Dana Loesch Retweeted Broward Sheriff

You didn’t stand up for them when they repeatedly reported that this murderer was threatening them in messages that violated FL law, his parents reported he “held a gun to others’ heads;” 39 visits and 2 FBI reports and NOTHING. It’s literally your job. Not mine.

Dana Loesch added,

Broward SheriffVerified account @browardsheriff
“You are NOT standing up for these students.” - Sheriff Israel to @NRA spokeswoman.
259 replies1,219 retweets2,649 likes

They are both right to be honest. Though saying "Its your job. Not mine." I take issue with. She is literally the spokes person for a company that says the ONLY way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with one. The company whose profits sky rocket when these things happen. The same company who puts money on the table to prevent commonsense gun laws. The same laws that we have accepted will never happen because of them. 

There is alot of blame to go around. You can almost throw a dart and land on someone who deserves some. But she is definitely one of them. I dont care that shes a parent. She deserves alot of the credit for these kids deaths. 

@Popeman38 Im down with everything but the kid blanket. If we cant find a better solution than that I would be disappointed. Maybe it can be an immediate solution while we figure something else out in the coming years. But just knowing my kid has one of these gives me anxiety. And i dont have kids. 

I do think we could train these kids to help the situation though. Example being the text messages. Instead of everyone texting their parents or calling 911. Lets have a emergency group chat where they can share the location of the shooter. I remember reading they were running right towards him at one point. Lets coordinate their biggest advantage (numbers and eyes) and use it to keep them safe. Stuff like that I think is possible and helpful. 

Though I have never had any training so what im saying could be ****ing stupid too

Edited by Llevron

11 hours ago, twa said:

Why not require gun training in schools?

I actually think this is a great idea.  Not saying we train them in tactical maneuvers.  But teaching them gun safety and a healthy respect for what a gun can do would be a good idea.  But similar to teaching sex ed, people won't want to teach their kids lessons in safety if it conflicts with their moral views.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I actually think this is a great idea.  Not saying we train them in tactical maneuvers.  But teaching them gun safety and a healthy respect for what a gun can do would be a good idea.  But similar to teaching sex ed, people won't want to teach their kids lessons in safety if it conflicts with their moral views.

Unfortunately I do think this is a necessity. 

Arm teachers = More guns purchased and in circulation. 

Endorsed by the NRA.

Teach about guns in school  =  More guns purchased by schools.  Also, introduces guns to a segment of the population that would otherwise have nothing to do with them and further normalizes the proliferation of guns in society. 

Endorsed by the NRA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I do think we could train these kids to help the situation though. Example being the text messages. Instead of everyone texting their parents or calling 911. Lets have a emergency group chat where they can share the location of the shooter. I remember reading they were running right towards him at one point. Lets coordinate their biggest advantage (numbers and eyes) and use it to keep them safe. Stuff like that I think is possible and helpful. 

Though I have never had any training so what im saying could be ****ing stupid too

The problem with the texts is they can be used to direct people into kill zones and give false locations hindering response.

but like adding guns in screened and trained hands it is better than nothing and might work.

Being blind or defenseless is not good

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

We have schools that are cutting arts and PE etc because of budget cuts.  Where are they going to get the money (and the time for that matter) to teach gun safety.

Change some priorities and you can fund all three

• Like 1

I would like to make adding more guns my last attempt after all things fail. But the more I talk with you guys the more I warm to the idea, admittedly. 

I just cant go that far until I have convinced myself there isnt something else that can be done. And since we haven't tried anything else yet Im not at that point. Not even close. 

I would take the cost of the bullet proof glass and their constant replacement over guns, for example. I think the cost is more than worth it. Some combination of technology (think security) Bullet proof glass doors and windows, and the text system/ Tactical training for kids could get the job done, keep guns out and effectively do nothing to the 2nd. Making them find other soft targets cause a school wouldnt be anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

We have schools that are cutting arts and PE etc because of budget cuts.  Where are they going to get the money (and the time for that matter) to teach gun safety.

Well they are going to have to figure this out regardless. Add guns to schools, add security......either way they will need the money. Though I agree with you it would be an issue. There is someone out there willing to make some money and provide this service at a discount. 

"Johnny, I'm sorry that the tech company chose the more qualified foreign person over you because they knew how to solve math problems, maybe the next company you interview for will want to see how fast you can clean that AR15"

Edited by Kilmer17
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I would like to make adding more guns my last attempt after all things fail. But the more I talk with you guys the more I warm to the idea, admittedly. 

I just cant go that far until I have convinced myself there isnt something else that can be done. And since we haven't tried anything else yet Im not at that point. Not even close. 

I would take the cost of the bullet proof glass and their constant replacement over guns, for example. I think the cost is more than worth it. Some combination of technology (think security) Bullet proof glass doors and windows, and the text system/ Tactical training for kids could get the job done, keep guns out and effectively do nothing to the 2nd. Making them find other soft targets cause a school wouldnt be anymore. 

The doors will likely not stop a shotgun with slugs or other weapons, but I'm certainly open to other options.

I use bulletproof glass in my home since I sit by a big window.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

54 minutes ago, twa said:

Change some priorities and you can fund all three

Translation:  We need to cut those pesky Math and Science classes.  Maybe history, too.  Them things turn the kids liberal, anyway.  Teach 'em guns, instead.  

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Translation:  We need to cut those pesky Math and Science classes.  Maybe history, too.  Them things turn the kids liberal, anyway.  Teach 'em guns, instead.  

I rather like stem classes and PE and art .....might be why I raised kids that were scholars and athletes and can draw,paint and play(along with write) music

Of course I also taught them guns and they went to the military.

One is entering teaching STEM, a expert shot w/a pistol btw and fully vetted.....did I mention they got grit as well?

Of course we reduced bs and taught personal accountability ....I guess that is not the science and math you speak of.