Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

28 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Of all the dumb and insulting things I’ve read on here, this might be the one that makes me angriest. 

My schools and my teachers made me the person I am today.  My high school biology teacher taught me the basics of genetics and biology and inspired an interest and passion for the subject that still drives me today.  My high school English teacher taught me rigor and demanded excellence in my writing – I still hear his lessons in my head every time I am writing a scientific paper today.  My college film studies teacher taught me how to look at evidence critically and how to argue for novel hypotheses in ways that I still use today. 

My medical school teachers gave me the foundational understanding of human biology and medicine that I use every day to inform the choices I make with my patients.  My residency and fellowship advisors and mentors helped me make connections and colleagues at universities around the world that I use to advance research and help discover new diseases.

It didn't take 12 years for me to learn the math and science I use today to make new genetic discoveries.  It took 30 years.  I am continuing to learn today.  It takes rigor and dedication and an open mind.  My teachers gave me the tools that allow me to continuously learn and make progress.  

I now work at an excellent hospital and am frequently involved in life-saving medical care and new disease discovery.  I have a remarkably rewarding job that I cherish.  I am a fairly resourceful and intelligent person who grew up with wonderful, encouraging parents.  I am certain that I could never have achieved any of this without wonderful schools and teachers and mentors that made me who I am. 

A person can become a useless internet troll without school.  A person cannot become a valuable and contributing member of society without it.  

Dude, you missed the point entirely. I said school is a antiquated system that doesn't apply to how everyone learns. You just chose to keep doing it for medical school,aside from getting use to repetition . Nothing you learned in high school helped you for medical school. You just learned how to keep memorizing stuff. That's not critical  thought. Very few doctors are worth a damn.  They just prescribe meds because it makes them money.they have no actual interest in healing a patient. And meds heal no one .they just keep things at bay Nor do they/doctors actually know how to heal anyone . They just play percentages  from.what a text book  told them. 

If you're

A good Doc, good for you. It doesn't  disprove anything i said about the over all effectiveness or quality of the American school system. Please don't get emotional about it and Call me a troll. I didn't insult you. 

34 minutes ago, Destino said:

that the same argument would appear to disqualify a large number of standard police officers.

it doesn't just disqualify them, it also ignores the fact that we have said regular cops doing something about these situations despite not having this elite training they supposedly require.

LEO's get trained, and different ones at different levels, but i've known a lot of LEO's through my life and I don't know a single one that doesn't scoff at the notion that "police" (in general) are well trained and proficient with their weapon. 

i've mentioned this before but... you know how when a police shooting makes the news? one of the things that often accompanies the complaints about the situation (and the outrage) is the sheer quantity of shots fired. when it came up in those threads, when i participated in them, i'd try to point it out as well but no one wanted ot hear it... the police, in general, are not that proficient with their weapons... they're trained to fire until the threat is neutralized... they go through training and demonstrations showing what happens if you fire one shot and think you got 'em... so they fire a lot of shots... all of them... that's how you wind up with dude in the car with 50 bullets through the windshield.

as a side note, the people angry about it and unwilling to understand it, usually tend to be the same people who say things like: "Why didn't he just shoot him in the leg"

if people don't want guns in schools that's fine.

this argument about delta force training is dumb. it's not applicable. it will never be applicable. 

that doesn't mean anyone has to concede and agree to let teachers have guns in school. it just means you should make a better argument, and maybe not be so easily swayed by someone just because they're a veteran with combat experience ( even if it's elite combat experience)

Edited by tshile

1 minute ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Dude, you missed the point entirely. I said school is a antiquated system that doesn't apply to how everyone learns. You just chose to keep doing it for medical school,aside from getting use to repetition . Nothing you learned in high school helped you for medical school. You just learned how to keep memorizing stuff. That's not critical  thought. Very few doctors are worth a damn.  They just prescribe meds because it makes them money.they have no actual interest in healing a patient. And meds heal no one .they just keep things at bay Nor do they/doctors actually know how to heal anyone . They just play percentages  from.what a text book  told them. 

If you're

A good Doc, good for you. It doesn't  disprove anything i said about the over all effectiveness or quality of the American school system. Please don't get emotional about it and Call me a troll. I didn't insult you. 

Good heavens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I'm not sure what level I'd be demanding (heck, I've made it pretty clear I'm against the idea from the start), but I do think you oughtn't say, "You have a gun. Good. You're set." There ought to be some type of training and some type of certification. 

I don't think a reasonable person (if you'll humor me and pretend to agree that there are reasonable people entertaining arming teachers, :) ) would disagree with you.

The utility of the internet is highly variable. Look how many people get deluded by false or misleading stories. In many ways, it's more like a bar room trivia debate than a library. 

There's a lot of good stuff and some knowledgeable people, but the bull**** runs fast and deep. 

I do think it's a great tool, but as with all great tools you need to learn how and when to use it... which still leaves an important role for school (or at least teachers)

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

i've been thinking for a while that people are more and more turning to the internet as a source of knowledge, which really is just the modern day equivalent of a library which is where our greatest thinkers spent their time learning (maybe not in a library, but reading books was more the point)

when you think about the money devoted to school books and training, and school for teachers so they can teach school, the buildings and then you've got all the people who write policies and regulations. there's an entire food industry around it. the whole money grab thing isn't far fetched.

i know some people homeschooling and they rely heavily on their internet sources. 

your thing about doctors is even worse, because they're not just doing what you say, they're really just data entry people. they have a computer system they punch your symptoms into and it tells them what to prescribe.

Until doctors are willing to admit and look into natural.ways to heal people, they are nothing more than whores  for med companies /big Pharma. Our grand parents and great grand weren't getting sick at the rate we are and supposedly we have the best medical ? Better doctors? Better education? 

1 hour ago, thinwhiteduke said:

If you're

Dude don’t ruin this thread too. Go away 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Don't respond to him and he will.  

Excuse me, where's the problem? I gave a personal adult viewpoint about education. I didn't harm or insult you. You can't handle actual independent  thought or adult conversation ?  You complain whether I actually insult you or don't insult you...make up your  mind and stay consistent. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

LEO's get trained, and different ones at different levels, but i've known a lot of LEO's through my life and I don't know a single one that doesn't scoff at the notion that "police" (in general) are well trained and proficient with their weapon. 

I have fired a pistol once in my life.  Friend wanted to go to the range, invited me to go with him.  I fired 5-6 shots at a paper circular target, from maybe 25 feet away.  

Friend informed me that, except for my rate of fire (I probably spent a minute per shot), I had just fired well enough to qualify for the Virginia Beach Police Department.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Excuse me, where's the problem? I gave a personal adult viewpoint about education. I didn't harm or insult you. You can't handle actual independent  thought or adult conversation ?  You complain whether I actually insult you or don't insult you...make up your  mind and stay consistent. 

I'm out pretending to have a life right now, so I can't do this with you right now.  I youre not still here when I get back, I'll shot a pm.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm out pretending to have a life right now, so I can't do this with you right now.  I youre not still here when I get back, I'll shot a pm.

That's right..you are pretending to have a life  because you would  have a better,fuller one with more time ,if you weren't a taxed debt slave  to govt.. :)

Edited by thinwhiteduke

38 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

The problem is this thread is not what you are talking about.  Threads have topics and part of the rules are you are supposed to stay on topic.

"Do not engage in "hijacking" a thread by commenting on such matters in off-topic fashion within a thread."

http://es.redskins.com/announcement/11-forum-rules-and-guidelines/

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The problem is this thread is not what you are talking about.  Threads have topics and part of the rules are you are supposed to stay on topic.

"Do not engage in "hijacking" a thread by commenting on such matters in off-topic fashion within a thread."

http://es.redskins.com/announcement/11-forum-rules-and-guidelines/

Ok, on topic..it's another staged incident  to make people eventually give up.their rights to win guns and turn it into  a police State.

Who's dumb enough to believe a guy that old in a high security  hotel can easily sneak up that many guns and remove a window with no one getting wise?  People just don't think anymore. They believe what ever govt and media tell them. 

4 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Ok, on topic..it's another staged incident  to make people eventually give up.their rights to win guns and turn it into  a police State.

Who's dumb enough to believe a guy that old in a high security  hotel can easily sneak up that many guns and remove a window with no one getting wise?  People just don't think anymore. They believe what ever govt and media tell them. 

In Las Vegas? Ever been to a convention before? People travel with a ****-ton of equipment.

Imagine thousands of people lugging cases like this around: 

11436.jpg

There's no sneaking required. 

25 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

What makes a hotel a "high security hotel"?

Do you think he was bringing luggage in through a metal detector?

Who do you think snuck the guns up there?  And why didn't anybody notice?

Right?  Somebody had to get them up there?

Edited by PeterMP

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

On second thought, we SHOULD arm teachers.  That way they can prevent mass shootings.  Let’s make all schools like Ft Hood!  

Ft Hood where the people in the room were disarmed by policy?.....thought we already did.

Think the shooter considered that in his target selection?

add

CCN nonsense

Can she imagine my teachers overworked, underpaid, exhausted, NOT a sidearm  available and then hiding hoping not to die while the shots continue?

can she imagine the choice of deciding if you will try to save your life or instead protecting others with their body.

a choice the police have and are armed

Edited by twa

2 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Until doctors are willing to admit and look into natural.ways to heal people, they are nothing more than whores  for med companies /big Pharma. Our grand parents and great grand weren't getting sick at the rate we are and supposedly we have the best medical ? Better doctors? Better education? 

ahahahahahahahaahahaahahahaaa

oh my god

dysentery.jpg

2 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

protip: the fact that you don't personally insult people (something that you say in every other post) does not make you immune from our reactions when you say something appallingly ignorant (and repetitive).   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3