Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Diasabled Army vet. GOP Congressman. 

More at link. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/brian-mast-assault-weapons-ban.html

I’m Republican. I Appreciate Assault Weapons. And I Support a Ban.

By Brian Mast

Feb. 23, 2018

The most important and unregrettable time of my life was the 12 years I spent in the Army. I became a bomb technician because I wanted to save lives. I nearly gave my own life for that — I lost both my legs and a finger when a roadside bomb detonated beneath me — and have known more heroes than I can count who died defending others.

When I was with others on the battlefield and we saw a chance to save a life, we didn’t have a meeting about it; we acted immediately. I never worried about becoming a casualty myself.

Now, as a Republican congressman from Florida, I don’t fear becoming a political casualty, either. If we act now by changing laws surrounding firearms and mental illness, we too can save lives.

Most nights in Afghanistan, I wielded an M4 carbine and a .40-caliber pistol. The total barrel length of my M4 was approximately 14 inches with Trijicon ACOG sights, as well as an infrared laser. I usually carried 10 magazines stacked with 20 rounds of 5.56-millimeter ammunition each.

My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived.

I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through that rifle, many in combat. We used it because it was the most lethal — the best for killing our enemies. And I know that my community, our schools and public gathering places are not made safer by any person having access to the best killing tool the Army could put in my hands. I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend.

The truth is, most gun owners are responsible sportsmen and collectors who enjoy shooting recreationally, like me, or want to protect their home in the way they see fit. I am a longtime member of the National Rifle Association. My grandfather bought me my first NRA membership when I was young, and I have the same pride he and many Americans feel at being responsible gun owners, becoming excellent marksmen and joining in the camaraderie of hunting.

We are Americans and we like to be the best; we should never lose this trait. The AR-15 is an excellent platform for recreational shooters to learn to be outstanding marksmen. Unfortunately, it is also an excellent platform for those who wish to kill the innocent.

• Like 1

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

The only obvious response to a teacher with a gun is to have kids with guns.

This was my response when I first heard Trump say whatever bull**** like "armed teachers would make a would-be shooter think twice."  

Yea, they'll think twice, then go (legally) buy a much more powerful arsenal to bring with them to counter the terrified teacher with a 9mm and inadequate training.  Maybe bring some bombs along with their AR-15 and 1000s of rounds of ammo.   Maybe buy some body armor (which is also legal to buy, because why the **** not).  

9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The only obvious response to a teacher with a gun is to have kids with guns.

Only about 20 years out from that being a serious topic of discussion. And then we will be crazy to talk about removing guns from schools cause how else are we gonna stop the school shootings? 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Only about 20 years out from that being a serious topic of discussion. And then we will be crazy to talk about removing guns from schools cause how else are we gonna stop the school shootings? 

In 20 years everyone will be home schooled or "virtual schooled" so they don't have to congregate somewhere where they are likely to get murdered.

Zoony will complain about how much that generation sucks and when he was a lad he got shot every day and just sucked it up.  

• Haha 3