Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

32 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Apparently no one read this

I read that ****. Its exactly what we are talking about in the other thread. It wont be credible evidence though. 

12 hours ago, twa said:

More of them should.

Thats kinda messed up dude. And I agree with you. But damn is that messed up. I kinda feel bad for thinking that way but i dont think im wrong. 

31 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Is your point the officer was negligent or that kids need to be taught firearm safety/danger? :)

I would agree to both.

Anyone carrying in a school regularly should have a better safety plan, such as no chambered rounds and completely covered trigger, I would prefer a retention strap/lever as well. ....dis ain't rocket science.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-5455075/Shots-reportedly-fired-US-university-suspect-large.html

Two shot dead at US university, suspect at large

Two people were shot dead during a domestic dispute Friday on the campus of a university in the US state of Michigan, setting off a manhunt for the suspected shooter.

Central Michigan University said the two people killed at a campus dormitory were not students, but did not offer further details on their identities.

The university described the incident as a "domestic situation."

There were no additional injuries.

"Two individuals were fatally shot at Campbell Hall on campus this morning. The deceased are not students and police believe the situation started from a domestic situation," the university said in a statement.

"Campus is on lockdown as the suspect is still at large," the school said several hours after the incident occurred.

The university identified the suspected shooter as James Eric Davis, "a black male, approximately 19 years of age."

Edited by visionary

4 hours ago, twa said:

Is your point the officer was negligent or that kids need to be taught firearm safety/danger? :)

I would agree to both.

Anyone carrying in a school regularly should have a better safety plan, such as no chambered rounds and completely covered trigger, I would prefer a retention strap/lever as well. ....dis ain't rocket science.

The point is **** happens, and the more guns there are in schools the more really bad **** will happen in our schools. 

This fact is wholly undeniable, and no “perfect scenarios” or any other fantasy ladened wishes will change that fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The point is **** happens, and the more guns there are in schools the more really bad **** will happen in our schools. 

This fact is wholly undeniable, and no “perfect scenarios” or any other fantasy ladened wishes will change that fact.

Do you have evidence of that in places it has been tried,aside from police and security guards?

The teacher the other day was not supposed to have one,yet did.

I'm not seeing the danger being very high(especially with decent standards), of course school shooter risk is not high either.

Which do you fear more?

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

ASF:  Stupid happens.  Stupid finds a way.  

twa: Can you prove that stupid will happen by citing direct data that I can't cherry pick my way around?  

Stupid will ALWAYS find a way. And when stupid finds a way with a gun people die.

@twawould have us believe the worst about humanity and then try to reassure us that for some strange phenomenon guns in schools would be immune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

ASF:  Stupid happens.  Stupid finds a way.  

twa: Can you prove that stupid will happen by citing direct data that I can't cherry pick my way around?  

Asking for apples to apples comparison is cherry picking?

Plenty of evidence of stupid round here.:ols:

16 minutes ago, twa said:

Asking for apples to apples comparison is cherry picking?

Do you have any direct cases of a mass shooting being stopped, in progress, by an armed school teacher who was legally carrying a weapon in a public school.without any involvement by law enforcement or security personnell?  

Just now, Larry said:

Do you have any direct cases of a mass shooting being stopped, in progress, by an armed school teacher who was legally carrying a weapon in a public school.without any involvement by law enforcement or security personnell?  

Nope, no mass shootings where they are tiko . ....nor evidence anyone was harmed by them having guns.

It's like Nirvana or something.

2 hours ago, twa said:

Nope, no mass shootings where they are tiko . ....nor evidence anyone was harmed by them having guns.

It's like Nirvana or something.

No, they just shoot up churches in Texas. But that’s different some how.

Here’s the real danger in all if this, we get hyper focused on school shootings (which are over all a VERY rare event) and in doing so we take our eyes off the real pressing threat. That yes an AR kills lots of people quickly, but handguns are responsible for overwhelming majority of gun murders, and gun violence. But no one is much interested in that.

1 minute ago, twa said:

I still say the real pressing threat is people that want to kill people.

You would be correct. Problem is we are happy to give them to tools to do so and not the help to stop them. 

Just now, Llevron said:

You would be correct. Problem is we are happy to give them to tools to do so and not the help to stop them. 

Whole lotta tools work well unfortunately.

They need to work a bit harder on the stopping part.(or quit working against themselves)

37 minutes ago, twa said:

I still say the real pressing threat is people that want to kill people.

Since the dawn of human history humans have wanted to kill eavh other. 

Feel free to go about fixing that, we’ll wprk on the means by which way too many murderers too easily take place.

1 hour ago, twa said:

Whole lotta tools work well unfortunately.

They need to work a bit harder on the stopping part.(or quit working against themselves)

Which tools kill as many as easily?

I’ll save you the time...none.

The Right ALWAYS retreats back to this boring and sad old false equivalency when backed into a corner.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:20 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

I thought we were keeping gun control to the other thread.

At least be honest with yourself.  In the context of the conversations we have had here, that isn't really relevant and doesn't even help your argument and the general issue there was addressed ad nauseam.  Yes, nobody referred directly to that link, but clearly, the issue there has been part of the conversation:

1.  If the weapon is concealed and has a biometric trigger lock on it, that doesn't happen (it isn't really relevant).

2.  This actually is evidence of what I talked about in the other thread.  Many accidental discharges don't even hit anybody, and of those that do, a small subset are lethal.

3.  From there, good training will reduce the number and damage done by accidental discharges.  Carrying and caring for a gun correctly both reduces the chance of there being an accidental discharge and of shooting somebody close to you in the case of an accidental discharge, which reduces the risk of an accidental discharge being lethal.

4.  If done right, It is easily conceivable that even ignoring the mass shooter the number of shootings (especially and including accidental discharges) will go up (because there are more people carrying their guns with more time most likely) and the number of deaths will go down, especially when you consider that over 30% of teachers already own guns.  Those teachers will be able to carry and use their guns more often, but have a lower accidental discharge rate and have a lower rate of unnecessary (accidental and non-accidental) lethal shootings.

And it isn't even clear to me the number of shootings will go up (who knows how much teachers are carrying and using guns now and with what training and screening, and especially increased screening MIGHT (MIGHT) filter some of those people out or have those people get the help they need more quickly).  If the GA teacher was part of a program for carrying a gun to school and he was being screened regularly, does somebody say, hey, this guy is having issues (and there now appears to be evidence that he's been having issues for a while) and either he needs to be removed from the school or he needs help sooner?  (and yes that statement includes an if.  It is possible.).

I've said, I'll trade what happened with that teacher in GA thousands of times over a decade for one life.  This situation is no different.

Of course, this isn't an approval of everything every state has done with respect to teachers carrying guns in school, including FL, but don't pretend like this kind of situation hasn't been addressed repeatedly by me and others here.

Especially when coupled with a good gun control approach (as I discussed in the other thread), allowing teachers with restrictions to bring guns to school will likely reduce gun deaths.

Edited by PeterMP