Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

On 6/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, twa said:

they do compartmentalize damage and isolate shooters , which is good unless you are in the targeted one.

greater good

Yup....there is no absolute. Same with the ****pit door on planes now. 99% of the time it's awesome. Except for when the pilot goes rogue.

Edit - I cant say ****pit?!

On 6/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, Renegade7 said:

Way I'd hope it'd be treated is on a building by building basis, an actual plan for first responders and whoever they are calling for backup.  

Do a risk assessment, you have SOPs and Incident Response Plans to go with your Security Policy (hopefully having one).  The truth in computer security is the most important thing to protect are the people, not the computers, physical security has its own chapters in certifications like Security+ and CISSP.  You can fail for not thinking a lit parking lot at night for your employees was important.

I'm CompTIA Security+ certified.....I do not recall physical security being heavy on the exam at all. While I agree on your sentiment....that part just made me pause. Then again, I got certified 10+ years ago. 

On 6/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Both black, plastic, and something I would only use on others.

Um.......remember your wife is here.

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette

Just now, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I'm CompTIA Security+ certified.....I do not recall physical security being heavy on the exam at all. While I agree on your sentiment....that part just made me pause. Then again, I got certified 10+ years ago. 

Meet more then enough people that failed by a couple points, a lot of trouble with the labs picking which security controls to put where.  I've seen fire extinguisher class questions before or trying to rank biometrics.  Passed it three times, I want to CE, I don't want to take it again.  The test is on a lot more material then just physical, but your logical controls are at the mercy of your physical controls.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s Monday in America...

A masked gunman engages in a running gun battle at a Federal building in a major U.S. city, and it barely registers as a blip on national news. 

Yep, just another Monday.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

A masked gunman engages in a running gun battle at a Federal building in a major U.S. city, and it barely registers as a blip on national news. 

Yep, just another Monday.

This is still the only place I’ve seen it. Everyone else talking about SCOTUS

• Like 1

Today at my job we had a guest speaker.  Her name is Kristina Anderson.  She is one of the survivors from the Virgina Tech shooting in 2007.  

It was surreal to here her explain her day and how things transpired.  She showed us slides of the classroom layout she was in and where her seat was, and exactly how everything went down.  She was shot 3 times.  Once in her back, once in her butt, and once in her foot.  She got to class late that day because she overslept, and because of that she ended up sitting in the back corner of her classroom.  

The only survivors in her classroom were the people who sat back in the corner.  Her teacher was killed and 12 students in her classroom were killed.  The class sat 25 students but they were not all full.  

Her mom was in Tysons Corner at the mall and received a phone call from the hospital.  She told her mother 3 things.  You're daughter has been shot, she is being rushed to the hospital, and they are performing surgery on her immediately without anyones consent.  Her mom collapsed in the mall and she said on the 4 hour drive to Tech from Tysons, her dad nearly killed them because of driving erratically.

It was just unbelievable to hear the details of it all and how she can talk about it.  She talked about her road to get to where she is today and the issues she still has today and will have the rest of her life.  

It's unreal how rare these shootings were back then, 12 years ago, and now it is just common place and NOTHING has changed and it's only gotten worse because we're a ****ing gun happy nation.

This **** has to stop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What was the reason for having her speak?

We just have this speaker series at my job where like 3-4 times a year people come in and speak about their experiences and how it relates to the type of work that we do.  The overall point of her talk was just about making workplaces and schools safer and it also ties to technology, which she cofounded a company that makes an app called LiveSafe.  

We've also had General Hayden speak, as well as Richard Picciotto who was the first fire chief who entered one of the towers on 9/11 and was in it when it collapsed.  It's very interesting to hear these stories first hand of what these people have been through.

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's very interesting to hear these stories first hand of what these people have been through.

Don't know if you're able to make suggestions but if so, I recommend the Command Master Chief of the USS Cole when it was bombed.  Powerful stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I mean if you're gonna be a suicidal maniac, a fed building in Texas pobably isn't the best option fir you to get your Rambo Sam Fisher on...

I disagree.  If they absolutely must go on a rampage, I would suggest that the areas most prepared to receive their challenge are in fact the best options.  Ideally they’d call up a heavily armed group, a military base for example, and tell the folks there of their intent and the exact time of their arrival.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/reports-active-shooter-tree-life-congregation-synagogue-pittsburgh/pzK9cNBeyiX8IjuNIzJc9N/

Multiple casualties just announced.  All residents in area advised to stay in homes, lock doors, and shelter in place.

Extremist reported by family pleads guilty to gun charge

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man whose relatives reported concerns about his behavior and far-right extremist rhetoric after last year’s Pittsburgh synagogue massacre pleaded guilty to a federal gun charge Tuesday.

Jeffrey Clark Jr., 30, of Washington, D.C., faces a maximum of 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of illegal possession of firearms by a person who is an unlawful user of a controlled substance.

Estimated sentencing guidelines call for a sentence ranging from 10 to 16 months, but U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly, who is scheduled to sentence Clark on Sept. 13, isn’t bound by those guidelines. The judge refused to release him before sentencing.

The FBI said Clark is a self-described white nationalist who followed Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect Robert Bowers on the Gab social media platform and referred to him as a “hero” in a post after the Oct. 27, 2018, shooting. Bowers spewed anti-Semitic hatred on his Gab account before killing 11 people inside the synagogue, authorities said.

Clark was arrested after relatives called the FBI on Nov. 2 to report their concerns that he could be a danger to himself or others. Relatives told FBI agents that Clark became “really riled up” after his younger brother, Edward, shot and killed himself within hours of the Pittsburgh attack.

Click on the link for the full article