Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sean McVay Tracker

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, carex said:

You don't fire your head coach and then promote from his staff.  If the Skins had done that this board would of exploded with the "my god that's not how you do things"

Humm no. NFL teams does that all the time in fact. They often fire to promote from within. 

The fact is that they are doing this when they are losing. Not when they are winning. They were 1st in the Division the season before and nearly got into the playoff the season before McVay interviewed with the Rams.

If Gruden's team were bottom dwellng for those two years like 4/6 wins. Then they would have probably done it. But firing a HC that is winning, or at least competitive, to promote from within is really hard to do. And critics of McVay playcall's those two years were strongs on this very forum. 

I believe that's what you meant, but you explained it badly :P

On 9/23/2017 at 6:34 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

The most impressive thing he's done so far in my eyes, is how he squashed the Aaron Donald stuff. Its rare that you see a new guy come in and be real like that, and get the best player on the team to buy in, especially as a first time HC. 

That goes a lot further than X's and O's ever will, because you see the Chip Kelly's and Josh McDaniels of the world, that want to come in and swing their dick around and bring law and order, bs that doesn't work in the 21st century unless you are Bill Bellichick, who due to the amount of jewelry he has alone, could keep anyone in line.

I think he'll be a really good coach, and unlike several other snake ass **** coaches who have recently left here (who shall remain nameless), i wish him nothing but the best. He was a quality coach and person by all accounts

One of the early signs imo, that showed this dude wasnt just ready, but that he may have been born ready.  

GL, I think he has a very real shot at a chip, but it will definitely be a tall task.

I don't really have anything against McVay, but it was kind of nice seeing old Belichick coach circles around him. I had said that I didn't trust a first-time Super Bowl coach and Goff vs. Belichick with 2 weeks to prepare against that offense. Turns out I was on the money...but I didn't expect Wade Phillips to do such a great job himself. 

Goff left a LOT of plays on the field. I think McVay called an okay game, but his QB simply wasn't ready for the big show.

In the meantime, I think every Gruden apologist should re-watch this game and remember that Wade Phillips wanted to be our DC, but Gruden insisted on the incomparable Joe Barry instead.

McVay is a middle of the road QB's best friend.  That much has been established.  He has elevated the play of Cousins and Goff.  What McVay brings beyond that is still somewhat up for debate.  I know Cooper Cupp being out hurts, but I think there is legit concern that McVay has already discovered Goff's ceiling.  Some systems of offense are just more stat friendly than others, but those QB's often get exposed when they have to go outside of their comfort zone to make the big throws.

I don't want to dismiss what he has done with the Rams so far, but a lot of it has been their defense.   The Rams defense is what kept them in the Superbowl.  

I bet if you told 100 people the Patriots would score 13 points in the Superbowl, at least 90 of them would have assumed the Rams won a blowout. 

I know Belichick is an amazing coach and strategist, but anyone honestly believe that same Patriots performance beats the Saints? Yeah right. 

The Pats last 3 games were against teams with a combined record of 37-11 and they were 3 of the most potent offenses in football, the Saints could only put up 20 points on Philly but I'm supposed to believe they would have somehow beat the Pats, it's laughable.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Goff left a LOT of plays on the field. I think McVay called an okay game, but his QB simply wasn't ready for the big show.

In the meantime, I think every Gruden apologist should re-watch this game and remember that Wade Phillips wanted to be our DC, but Gruden insisted on the incomparable Joe Barry instead.

Yeah, Goff choked and it didn't help that Gurley was injured.

Still, he was in a coin flip ball game in the Super Bowl against the league's all time dynasty. Hard to ask for much more from a 32 year old head coach.

35 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Belichick outwitted boy wonder Genius with ease. Sterling performance by him and his staff. Outcoached is an understatement honestly. Checkers Vs. Chess.

Uh, the score was 13-3, not 130-3.  You might be thinking of John Fox's Broncos against Carroll's Seahawks when the score was 43-8.

Here's my thing when it comes to McVay/Goff...

if most of their success is the amount of information McVay feeds Goff pre-snap, then how come no one attempted to isolate Goff before? Basically, this result tells me that left to his own devices, the QB can't really react. It sounds almost like McVay was the puppet master telling him where to look or what to attack based on alignments, etc. If that's accurate (and I could be wrong), how did it take until the final game of the year for someone to cook this up? 

And, a counter to that, why not go hurry-up/no-huddle so that you can attempt to snap the ball before the mic cuts out at 15 seconds?

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Uh, the score was 13-3, not 130-3.  You might be thinking of John Fox's Broncos against Carroll's Seahawks when the score was 43-8.

Uh No, the key number here is 3. He dominated in game planning vs Mcvay’s O. The fact that St Louis’ Defense played amazing as well does not take away from the game plan Bill and his staff had for Sean. Not sure what your problem is with that fact. I love Mcvay, it’s no knock to lose to the best coach ever.

15 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Uh No, the key number here is 3. He dominated in game planning vs Mcvay’s O. The fact that St Louis’ Defense played amazing as well does not take away from the game plan Bill and his staff had for Sean. Not sure what your problem is with that fact. I love Mcvay, it’s no knock to lose to the best coach ever.

I completely agree with this. The Patriots, just as they did vs. the MVP two weeks ago, studied up and dominated. Granted, the Chiefs eventually counterpunched in the second half, but NE went into halftime of the AFC Championship Game up 14-0 in Arrowhead. That gave them the cushion they needed. 

New England played the Chiefs to win the AFC then the Rams to win the Super Bowl - over 7 of those 8 quarters they gave up a grand total of 10 points (7 vs. KC and 3 vs. LA). Granted, the Chiefs exploded for 24 in the 4th of the AFCCG, but the point is that Belichick took an undermanned team against two of the most feared offenses (including the eventual NFL MVP) and shut them down for either 75% or 100% of each game. The man is amazing. 

8 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I think McVay called an okay game, but his QB simply wasn't ready for the big show.

Absolutely not. Goff missed some plays, but McVay was outclassed by miles. 

First off, I could have told you Belichick was going to shut down the run. Yet, McVay came out and did run-run-pass for three quarters. So, his young and nervous QB had to constantly throw from 3rd and long. His pass plays were all 7 step drops, wait for someone to come open. There was no creativity to anything the Rams did on O, there were no discernible adjustments during the game.

Where were the screens? Where were the slants? Where were the pick/rub plays? Where was the tempo? Where were the attempts to throw to set up the run?

Goff had a bad day. McVay had an abysmal day.

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Out prepared, absolutely.  Won, which is all that matters, of course.  But waiting until literally a minute left to put the game at more than one score?  I don't know.  Brady was picked off with his first pass.  I feel like Bill took a winning gamble, but a gamble nonetheless, by giving that opportunity for SOMETHING to go wrong.  Up two scores?  Sure, but I was so emotionally divested at that point that I just wanted it to be over.

It felt more like WWI than it did some incredible blitzkrieg.  Again, he's tops in the league and as you say there's no shame in losing to him, but I would've had more confidence going into the end if the score hadn't been so close.

The score felt exponentially closer than the game itself. It truly never felt as if the Rams has anything in-store for NE. Just never had that feeling things would change and even 3-0 seemed like a possibility.

NE moved the ball well enough and easily enough, then Brady has a deflected pass get picked off, then a missed FG. Even then, NE just seemed to say “Ok, let’s go.”

Just really never felt like the Rams would ever mount an effective challenge. As good a game as Wade Philips called against NE’s Offense, McVay seemed completely mystified by what the Patriots did and Goff completely collapsed. McVay has a way of making acceptable QB’s look like stat kings until they turtle when the chips are down.

2 hours ago, profusion said:

McVay will be fine, as long as he learns from this. He got out-coached by the greatest coach of all time...who brilliantly exploited the flaws in the Rams' roster.

Brady looks done, however.

Off-topic, but I don't think Brady looks done at all. We have to credit Wade Phillips here...what he did on Sunday is nearly as impressive as what Belichick did. Brady is declining (I mean, he's 42), but he could play another couple years in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, profusion said:

McVay will be fine, as long as he learns from this. He got out-coached by the greatest coach of all time...who brilliantly exploited the flaws in the Rams' roster.

Brady looks done, however.

?????

Based on what? Manning was done and done, but Brady looks a few years away from done, even in his early 40’s.

As as far as McVay goes, he’ll go as far as the Defense takes him. All trends change and the next may be toward the Defenses. ‘Skins are behind the coaching curve... way behind... and a lot of these big-powered Offenses may seemingly come down-to-Earth over the next few seasons, unless the NFL continues to skew the rules in favor of the Offenses.

McVay tends to fail in his play calling at times.  It's not his scheme.  The same thing would happen when he was the coordinator here.  His offense would look magical for a few series but then he would start calling some head-scratching plays at the worst times. 

Question for those smarter than me: Do newer school coaches seem to get bogged down with the mindset that their system can overcome everything where as older school coaches actually look to make adjustments as the game goes on?  Is this part of the reason that it seems like the young hot shot coordinator-turned-coaches always seem to come up short in the post season when they run into a head coach that actually designs game plays around their specific opponents?  I know that is over simplifying things, as I am sure McVay is game planning for the Pats defense in some ways, but I know under Gruden, even when McVay was the O-coordinator, it did always seem that there was a lack of any kind of adjustments going on in the game plans after halftime.  It always felt like there was a "The system works.......period" attitude. 

If you listen to Cooley he'll tell you McVay doesn't call genius plays that are so complex nobody can handle them, what Cooley says makes McVay special is what he does in the 40 seconds before the ball is snapped, its all tempo based and really doesn't have anything to do with the plays that are called.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, JSSkinz said:

The Pats last 3 games were against teams with a combined record of 37-11 and they were 3 of the most potent offenses in football, the Saints could only put up 20 points on Philly but I'm supposed to believe they would have somehow beat the Pats, it's laughable.

Totally agree with you.  Everyone is talking about the Rams D but that Pats D was just downright filthy. 

Archived