Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump's UN Speech - North Korea

LadySkinsFan

Have the previous strategies for trying to stop North Korea worked?  Maybe not.

Have things gotten a lot worse much faster since Trump came into office? Clearly.  So far the current admin’s efforts have accomplished extreme escalation from North Korea.

The new sanctions and actions from other countries (perhaps under US pressure or deal making) are interesting though, so we’ll see if they have a positive effect on the situation.  I’m not really sure what our actual strategy is though, and from the many conflicting statements and actions we’ve taken, it seems we aren’t either.

38 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What positive development has come out of Trump's rhetoric?  As far as I can tell NK has accelerated their progress towards having an intercontinental ballistic missile this year,  How many successful tests since Trump took office?

Even the biggest critics of Trump agree this is an inherited problem.  What Trump's administration has done is get international agreement twice on increased sanctions and China agreeing to do more to pressure North Korea.  We're even seeing some of our allies in the middle east agreeing not to renew the visas of North Korea's exported slave labor.  As much as a buffoon as he apparently is, Trump's administration is doing all of the standard things to pressure NK.  The problem is that none of this has worked before and there is no reasonable expectation that it will work now. 

But remember that a lot of this stuff we’re trying to clamp down on may just be continued unofficially or through less visable methods, as is often the case during sanction situations.  Sanctions rely on enforcement and for most everyone to go along and not try to get around them. (There are always some who do)

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

That misses the point that the leader of a country just said that it was the responsibility of the U.S. to diffuse the tension he is creating.  He chose a path and Trump's reaction confirmed he made the right choice. Meaning he chose the path before Trump.  Meaning the kid glove treatment of the DPRK for the last ~16 years had no positive impact.

I'm happy for people that use the kid glove treatment to say what should have been done in the past. Cause at the moment it's more sanctions and China acting now that NK has suddenly made serious advances in technology. I doubt China would have acted before these types of events.

Per the leadership, it's always the responsibility of the world leader to diffuse situations no matter who started it. 

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What positive development has come out of Trump's rhetoric?  As far as I can tell NK has accelerated their progress towards having an intercontinental ballistic missile this year,  How many successful tests since Trump took office?

I think you are confusing speaking critically of Kim as being support of Trump.  I support his EO and pressure to get China's banks to stop financing NK. I do not support much else...

30 minutes ago, Destino said:

Even the biggest critics of Trump agree this is an inherited problem.  What Trump's administration has done is get international agreement twice on increased sanctions and China agreeing to do more to pressure North Korea.  We're even seeing some of our allies in the middle east agreeing not to renew the visas of North Korea's exported slave labor.  As much as a buffoon as he apparently is, Trump's administration is doing all of the standard things to pressure NK.  The problem is that none of this has worked before and there is no reasonable expectation that it will work now. 

It is definitely an inherited problem and with these new sanctions is makes me wonder what the hell Obama even did to deter this previously. But there is no doubt that something Trump is doing or not doing has helped the escalation of this stuff. I dont think its just a coincidence that Kim has turned the dial up like crazy after Obama left office. It could be as simple as a lack of respect from Kim towards Trump. Dude went from 2 to 10 on the threat meter in about 6 months. 

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Per the leadership, it's always the responsibility of the world leader to diffuse situations no matter who started it. 

I disagree that leadership is about diffusing.  Leadership is about solutions.  Sometimes peace is the best solution.  Sometimes it's not.

18 minutes ago, Destino said:

I disagree that leadership is about diffusing.  Leadership is about solutions.  Sometimes peace is the best solution.  Sometimes it's not.

I didn't say diffuse equals peace but in this particular case we are talking about something unprecedented when it comes to the potential destruction and lives lost if this goes to a place 99.9999% of people don't want it to go. The US could still show strength without the unnecessary personal needling and false red lines by Trump. 

Anyone advocating war here, I'd like to know an acceptable number of casualties. 

2 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

They didn't get to this place in the last year

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I had to look it up:

Dotard - n.1. a foolish and doddering old person.

USA over North Korea every time.  But this shows me Kim Jung Un uses English with more precision and accuracy than Donald Trump.

Damn. You're right. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

They didn't get to this place in the last year

I didn't say they did. But they sure as heck have not been slowed down by "rocket man" rhetoric. 

Side note: Did Trump use the term "Radical Islamic Terrorism" at the U.N.? Because I'm pretty sure that is key to defeating ISIS.

33 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

ISide note: Did Trump use the term "Radical Islamic Terrorism" at the U.N.? Because I'm pretty sure that is key to defeating ISIS.

Thanks for the reminder of another of the myriad stupid things this President has uttered.  There are literally so many dumb, ill-thought, or false things he's said that it's easy to lose track.

The Donald Trump Presidential Library will be a monument to falsehoods, insults, and braggadocio.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If it goes nuclear, it's not just the initial impact, it's the fallout damaging the entire Earth. 

MAD kept the Soviets in check. I don't think it will work with Kim.

What will besides assassination or such?

Not really MAD, except on their end and limited areas....but no one wants that either.(especially folk in those areas)

Most likely to be intercept of missiles and retaliatory strikes if nothing changes....which of course can escalate quickly.

22 minutes ago, twa said:

What will besides assassination or such?

Not really MAD, except on their end and limited areas....but no one wants that either.(especially folk in those areas)

Most likely to be intercept of missiles and retaliatory strikes if nothing changes....which of course can escalate quickly.

I have a feeling China may not be cool with nukes going off in such close proximity to their border. 

Just now, RedskinsFan44 said:

I have a feeling China may not be cool with nukes going off in such close proximity to their border. 

Then I suggest they reign in their pet,seeing as it is him playing with them.

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I had to look it up:

Dotard - n.1. a foolish and doddering old person.

USA over North Korea every time.  But this shows me Kim Jung Un uses English with more precision and accuracy than Donald Trump.

do·tard

noun

noun: dotard; plural noun: dotards

An old person, especially one who has become weak or senile.

NK are crazy assholes, but I'll be damned if they didn't use the perfect word to describe our dumbass-in-chief.

Archived