Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump's UN Speech - North Korea

LadySkinsFan

30 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Kim's not dropping nukes on anyone. All they do is shoot off their mouths over there.

Well, lately they have been shooting off missiles that get better than expected each time they do it.

they do run their mouths, but they have also shown how they intend to back it up.. and a nuke on a missile,, that cant be ignored.

~Bang

I agree that what we've done so far has not stopped NK from tests or production, and that we don't know for sure what they will do.

On the other hand we probably aren't going to destroy North Korea (and don't really want to put South Korea or Japan in more danger) and North Korea and those supplying them know this, despite all the stuff our admin keeps saying publicly.

If we do decide to strike North Korea at some point though (not destroy or wipe out, which I can't imagine us doing), I hope we work out some plan to evacuate or protect our allies and save lives first.

As the three leaders prepared for their trilateral summit meeting on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly meeting this week, the White House has struck an increasingly bellicose tone toward North Korea. Mr. Trump, addressing the General Assembly on Tuesday, said the United States would “totally destroy North Korea” if necessary. Mr. Abe has been similarly hard-edged, supporting Washington’s approach.

Like Mr. Trump and Mr. Abe, Mr. Moon strongly advocates imposing sanctions and pressure on North Korea. But unlike them, he has repeatedly and categorically ruled out military action.

“President Moon appears isolated from the other two,” said Lee Won-deog, an expert on Korean-Japan relations at Kookmin University in Seoul. “There is a suspicion that Prime Minister Abe is using his close personal chemistry with President Trump to help shape the American leader’s views on South Korea.”

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Moon promised to seek dialogue with North Korea, insisting that sanctions alone would not persuade it to give up its nuclear missile program.

But as North Korea’s nuclear and missile tests have accelerated since his election in May, Mr. Moon has aligned himself closely with the tough line espoused by Mr. Trump and Mr. Abe, while continuing to oppose their openness to a military option. When the three leaders met on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit conference in Germany in July, they agreed to cooperate in enhancing their defense capabilities against the North Korean threat.

Such an agreement between South Korea and Japan was highly unusual. South Koreans have been wary of giving Japan, its former colonial master, any reason to rearm its postwar pacifist military. The leadership in the South also does not want the country dragged into a struggle for regional hegemony between American-backed Japan and China, which is angry at Mr. Moon’s deployment of an American-made antimissile system on South Korean soil.

“Although there is not much common ground between Moon and Abe, the gravity of the North Korean nuclear crisis has brought them together in an uncomfortable partnership,” said Yun Duk-min, a former chancellor of the Korea National Diplomatic Academy who now teaches at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies in Seoul.

Some South Koreans suspect Mr. Abe of using the growing threat from the North to push his nationalist agenda at home. They also wonder whether Mr. Abe has been encouraging the Trump administration’s increasingly combative stance toward North Korea, making the situation even more volatile.

“More dialogue with North Korea would be a dead end,” Mr. Abe said in an Op-Ed published in The New York Times on Sunday. “I firmly support the United States position that all options are on the table.”

Tough talk aside, Japan also fears military action on the Korean Peninsula, which could lead to a regionwide nuclear war, analysts said. By agreeing with Washington to put all options on the table, Mr. Abe is playing the role of reliable United States ally, while hoping to encourage China to moderate the North’s behavior, they said. But domestic factors are also probably at play.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters on Monday that the United States had devised military options against North Korea that would not put the South’s capital, Seoul, at grave risk of retaliation. He refused to elaborate on what those might be.

Most military planners have said that even limited military action against the North could easily escalate into a war with catastrophic results for both Koreas. The greater Seoul metropolitan area, home to 20 million, lies in the range of thousands of North Korean artillery pieces, rockets and short-range missiles.

Mr. Moon has repeatedly vowed to prevent the United States from bringing war to the Korean Peninsula. At the same time, he has begun sounding like his conservative predecessors, pledging “doom” for the Pyongyang government if it persists in conducting nuclear and missile tests. Last week, hours after North Korea fired its second intermediate-range ballistic missile over Japan, Mr. Moon called talks with the country “impossible” unless it stopped such behavior.

Is staying on the Korean peninsula worth placing US major cities in indefinite risk of nuclear attack?  Thats the question Kim is counting on eventually forcing the US out.

He didn't need nukes to stave off an invasion, he had all of South Korea hostage and China for that.  It's worked for longer than I've been alive.  He's not at risk of an Arab spring or revolution.  His nukes are entirely about changing the math.  

Will he strike first?  Will he sell nuclear weapons or technology?  The guy plays the part of a divine being while ruling a slave state.  He murders his family with anti aircraft guns and banned chemical weapons.  I don't think he's stable enough to be certain about what he will and won't do.  

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m skeptical that we have the means to stop a nuclear missile heading towards the US.

I watched a report on CNN that claimed the system had about a 50% success rate when tested and it's only tested on days with clear skies.  Not sure any of that is accurate, but it sure as hell doesn't fill me with confidence.   

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m skeptical that we have the means to stop a nuclear missile heading towards the US.

Science denier :kiss-smileys:

One probably, several and the odds deteriorate....but we have plenty to send back. 

Just now, Llevron said:

Oh I already made clear where I stand on this lol

I know now, having gone back and read the last page. 

I LOATHE Trump, but we used kiddie gloves for too long with NK. China and Russia need to step up and squash this.  They need NK as a buffer between the West, as does Russia. If there is no NK, those intel flights all along the DMZ are now being flown along the coasts of China and Russia...

13 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I know now, having gone back and read the last page. 

I LOATHE Trump, but we used kiddie gloves for too long with NK. China and Russia need to step up and squash this.  They need NK as a buffer between the West, as does Russia. If there is no NK, those intel flights all along the DMZ are now being flown along the coasts of China and Russia...

I agree which is why I'm not 100% against Trump's threats.  I'd prefer an adult handle it, and do a better job of it, but it's important NK, China, and the UN believe that the US is prepared to remove North Korea's ability to make war (by blowing it up).  Diplomatic talks aren't going to yield any results if no one at the table believes a military option is real.  I'm not sure Trump really sells it though because he's too in love with pretending to be a tough guy and does so too often. 

Trump makes white people look bad, and he makes America look like it's ran by racist and everybody is impotent to stop it.  But people in the South and Mid West got what they want: a man that does not look like President Obama.  All this tough talk.  Trump should ride into battle like kings in the past.  Let's see how much talking he does dodging bullets. 

4 hours ago, boobiemiles said:

Trump makes white people look bad, and he makes America look like it's ran by racist and everybody is impotent to stop it.

No he doesn't he fits right in. He is an accurate representation of large part of the population and that couldn't be clearer when you account for his continued support. 

He is exactly what most non-whites think white people in America are. It would be like Obama getting elected and wearing a doo rag and a gold chain every place he went. And then getting support from exactly the people you think would support that kind of ****. 

Archived