Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Equifax Data Breach

tshile

So this should be fun.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-equifax-cyber/equifax-shares-slump-after-massive-data-breach-idUSKCN1BJ1NF

(Reuters) - Equifax Inc’s shares tumbled 18 percent on Friday after the provider of consumer credit scores revealed that hackers may have stolen personal details of nearly half of the American adult population in one of the largest data breaches.

Equifax said on Thursday it discovered the breach on July 29 and that criminals exploited a vulnerability in a website application to gain access to certain files that included names, Social Security numbers and drivers’ license numbers.

Make sure you read the fine print of any credit/fraud monitoring offer you receive. Most of them include some waiver of liability for the initial breach, or right to class action.

Not sure how well that would actually hold up, but know what you're signing.

At some point soon we have to take an existential look at our future with the online world.  I really think the Internet was born and grew into a fundamental part of our lives - financially and otherwise -  way before we were ready to deal with the ramifications of it in a comprehensive way, and we will forever be playing catch-up just to stay one step behind the manipulators and the criminals.

I used to laugh at stories of the weirdos who dedicated themselves to living off the grid.  But after three or four times having my information being among the data stolen in breaches like this latest one, I'm not laughing so hard now.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Heard that company execs sold 1.8 mil in stocks after the breach... long before it was made public.  

If that ain't insider trading... 

mother ****ers

Three days after Equifax discovered the breach, three top Equifax executives, including Chief Financial Officer John Gamble and a president of a unit, sold Equifax shares or exercised options to dispose off stock worth about $1.8 million, regulatory filings show. It was not clear whether these transactions were part of a pre-arranged sales plan.

Equifax said in a statement that the executives were not aware that an intrusion had occurred when they sold their shares.

.....um....sure, it was a prearranged sale, prearranged sale..perfectly legal....nothing to see here....

yeah-thats-the-ticket.jpg

7 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

So how long will it be until they get in contact with the people who's data was breached?

https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibility/eligibility.html

You can check if you were impacted at the link above.  When you do that, you can enroll in Equifax credit monitoring at the same time (which is a service that I believe they would usually charge for).

I was impacted, I enrolled in their credit monitoring.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

At some point soon we have to take an existential look at our future with the online world.  I really think the Internet was born and grew into a fundamental part of our lives - financially and otherwise -  way before we were ready to deal with the ramifications of it in a comprehensive way, and we will forever be playing catch-up just to stay one step behind the manipulators and the criminals.

I used to laugh at stories of the weirdos who dedicated themselves to living off the grid.  But after three or four times having my information being among the data stolen in breaches like this latest one, I'm not laughing so hard now.

Every day more and more companies are trying to get you you to do **** electronically, and I seriously don't get it. I know people who use literally the same password for everything they have online, or keep an online record. Continues to baffle me. It is the wild west, even doing something as innocuous as using your card at a store

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

compulsory abortion might be a more popular political idea than large scale regulation of the internet.  For what it's worth, I agree with you.

The US has long traded convenience for security.

FInancial institutions outside the US I use for more than a decade have had multi-factor authentication online including hardware-based devices, chip/pins and signatures that are actually checked.

Here I can send one of my (female) staff with my credit card to spend five hundred bucks to pick up booze for an office party and no-one questions it.

I've had checks fraudulently cashed in different branches on the same day where you could see that there were two different sets of handwriting on the computer printed check. USA institutions don't care about consumer fraud.

9 minutes ago, SoulSkin said:

If you were affected, and sign up for their free credit monitoring offer, they're trying to slip it by that you'll be auto-enrolled and billed after one year. Classy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/equifax-breach-2017_us_59b2dae8e4b0b5e531062976?746

also trying to get you to sign away any right to sue.

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I think this is true about a lot of things. 

7 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Wow. That's pretty damn low. 

"Hey, this data breach really sucks. But let's still try to make some money here..."

Worse than that.  Collectively the industry's low security (to make it less likely people turn down credit "opportunities") causes the danger in the first place... and then they sell you a product to protect you from the issues they've created.  In addition to the fees they're already earning from you.  

5 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Hey ... that information you gave us for safekeeping and we lost is now being used by criminals to ruin your life. KThxBye.

I am anything but a litigious guy, but this is getting crazy.  I have now been affected by the Yahoo, Home Depot, Target, OPM, LinkedIN, Anthem, and now Equifax (and I'm probably missing a couple).  OPM, Anthem, and now Equifax have detailed histories of me and my wife.  It is a crime for me to carelessly handle customer information, yet the federal government and it's proxies face no consequences for their actions. They don't even offer remediation for any issues, they could easily offer LifeLock. At least they offer up to $1M to re-mediate any issues.

Archived