Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

This organization is a joke. I hope Sua kills it, honestly. Anything to get a real GM back. Who am I kidding, that's never gonna happen. Anything to make this franchise look like the clown show that it is, then.

Lose a franchise QB for nothing, trade the best slot CB in the league AND a draft pick for a worse, older QB, then trade a former 2nd round pick for a 5th and a swap. I have no clue how anyone can stay positive about any of this. I am officially done, and I feel bad for those of you who aren't.

It's only going to get worse.

17 minutes ago, zoony said:

Why are we claiming victory?

Maybe lets trade this years second round pick for a 5th rounder in 2021.  Winning!  :kickcan:

I too am not understanding the joy nor the good-riddance approach.  Wouldn't it have been better if the Redskins second-round pick had turned it around and made himself a valuable member of the team that drafted him?  This time they appeared to have quit on him before giving him a real second chance to redeem himself.

Simply put, the Redskins wasted a second round pick.  And for the record, I hope Cravens, a very immature young man, grows up and has a long prosperous career.  How can anyone not root for young people to succeed?

9 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I too am not understanding the joy nor the good-riddance approach.  Wouldn't it have been better if the Redskins second-round pick had turned it around and made himself a valuable member of the team that drafted him?  This time they appeared to have quit on him before giving him a real second chance to redeem himself.

Simply put, the Redskins wasted a second round pick.  And for the record, I hope Cravens, a very immature young man, grows up and has a long prosperous career.  How can anyone not root for young people to succeed?

It's true that the victory is a consolation prize, but I think most people felt that Su'a burned his bridges with this locker room and was a persona non grata. To get anything is a win.

From the bigger picture standpoint, it was a failed draft pick. From a we-coulda-got-nothing and there's-a-good-chance-we-woulda-cut-him-or-he'da-retired-again point of view... we got out of Dodge without being put six feet under.

4 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

How anyone could blame management on this baffles me. How were they to know he was such a TOOL just waiting to bloom? I mean the guy really is a good player but he never showed those wierd behaviors until the pros. I am happy we got something for that turd. Later Suzy

Thats not true. He quit on his college team as well.

Wow..I just got kicked off the bronco’s forum over the Cravens trade-lmao!!..they were all going crazy saying how they screwed us over today’s trade and how they got us for DB(CB)!!..I just put out a buyers beware bout Cravens and their sensitive thread police booted me-hahaha!!..seems like players that throw tantrum at the teams that drafted till they get their way is the players they love over there!!..thx for the draft picks for a scrub fellas..HTTR!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So basically we move up 4 slots in the 4th.

Move up 7 spots in the 5th.

Then the extra 5th rounder we get is actually way near the bottom of the round, almost a 6th rounder.

When you put it that way, it's not much at all.

Plus a conditional 6 next year. It beats having a pissed off locker room also.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So basically we move up 4 slots in the 4th.

Move up 7 spots in the 5th.

Then the extra 5th rounder we get is actually way near the bottom of the round, almost a 6th rounder.

When you put it that way, it's not much at all.

Teams make draft day trades to move up 4-7 spots in the 4th and 5th rounds all the damn time. We just did it and gained another pick instead of giving up a pick...only thing the Skins lost was a player who was never, ever gonna be on this team again and who wasn't garnering any trade offers outside of one team.

And if the extra 5th is "almost a 6th rounder" then the 4th round pick swap "almost" is like swapping into the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Why are we claiming victory?

Maybe lets trade this years second round pick for a 5th rounder in 2021.  Winning!  :kickcan:

exactly why the management of this organization is so frustratingly inept. their ego drives their need for situational "winning" or "showing 'em who's boss".  they showed the guy who originally wanted a LTD by tagging him 2 seasons in a row to the tune of a 44 million dollar rental with zero return but somehow WON by letting a higher round draft pick get his way because he threw the equivalent of a baby tantrum instead of making him put up or shut up.

then they media package it in their favor and we, the masses, eat it up.

almost every move they make is wrong, if not wrong bungled in the execution to the point it may as well have been. at this juncture I'm having a hard time discerning which is more embarrassing laughable. 

I never understood the salty attitude towards him.  Yeah, it sucked last year when he got all weird but people flake out and **** up no matter what the situation is in life, no matter what the job is.  Just because you're in the NFL doesn't mean you're perfect, obviously.  Look how many people have pissed away careers in the NFL due to poor decision making.  I'm not sure if Cravens has a mental illness or he's just naturally obtuse...but in life no one gets it right 100% of the time.  Doesn't mean we fans have to be assholes about it all the time because OMG I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT NUT TO PLAY FOOTBALL PROFESSIONALLY THEY DONT REALIZE HOW LUCKY THEY ARE!!!!11

That said, I'm glad he's not our headache anymore and we can move on.

I’m going to be honest here, and anyone can make fun of me, but I jumped the gun way too early on this kid. Right after that INT on Eli in 2016 I went ahead and ordered myself a Sua Cravens #36 shirt (not a 100$ jersey, just a Redskins t-shirt with the name and the number that I planned on wearing at my Sunday flag football league. Kid looked like a future pro bowler to me.

Needless to say, everything went downhill from there. I mean, I can defend somebody only for so long. But this kid. KID. CHILD. This child needs to grow up. First of all, judging by his social media, he’s got a personality of a 16 year old. Egomaniac, narcissist, typical millennial who believes that everyone that disagrees with him is a “hater”. I’m seriously sick with this kind of young people. If you can label Bashaud Breeland’s Twitter as cancer, you might as well label Sua’s as cancer while already battling crippling depression and a couple of STDs. 

I don’t wish him good or bad in the future. I seriously don’t care about him and what happens to him. He’s that irrelevant to me at this point. He’s the. prime example of everything I hate in a pro atlete: preeches about being humble while constantly screaming “all eyes on me”.

Even if he becomes a superstar, I’m still going to look at this as a good move. I’m going to keep his Redskins shirt to remind me how blind my obsession with this team.

Sua is someone elses problem now.

I hate that a 2nd rounder we drafted busted.

However, I struggle to really blame anyone for it, he seems like someone you just assume is slightly immature at worst but then blindsides you with just gross misbehavior and the kind of attitude that can bring everyone around him down. 

Supposedly his college coaches, scouts and teammates all managed to hide his indiscretions while he was there from the NFL leading up to the draft. So teams had him high on their boards. It wasn’t just us that got duped. That’s hard to believe in completely, though, so at least a little blame has to go on Scot and the personnel department. Specifically our regional scout in charge of USC at the time. That’s the type of research that can separate you as a personnel department. 

With all that said, I’m glad we got something decent out of him. I would’ve been flying high if we got a 3rd rounder. Would’ve been very happy with a 4th. But I’m satisfied with this. Certainly better than a 6th or 7th which I feared might be all we would’ve got. 

Deep down, my biggest hope was that somehow he’d get it together and end up panning out as the projected tweener stud we drafted him to be. I understood that was a naive hope, but I think that would’ve been the best outcome. As it stands, I don’t blame anyone within the FO, coaching staff, or among the players for being distrustful and not wanting him around anymore. Get what you can. 

I’m glad that, in this instance, they actually didn’t completely devalue him to everyone in the league and managed to maintain some level of belief out there that they’d keep him around. That they wouldn’t just give him up for pennies. That’s likely the main reason the Broncos budged. That’s good FO work and better than they’ve managed with most of their tradable assets. 

Tweener stud, lol. More like Tweeter stud. :/ 

Funny story. My in-laws are all huge Bronco fans. When the rumors first came out about their interest in Su’a how many weeks ago, they asked me about him. I told them he’s got great potential, but definitely comes with issues. They asked for more detail so I showed them the Compton video. Then told them about the way he retired out of nowhere. They just about died. Said they’d be devastated if they traded for him, don’t want that anywhere near their team. 

I told them don’t worry, if you trade for him it’ll be for a 2025 7th round pick, we never win any trades. :ols: 

Can’t wait to see what they say now. :) 

My brother in law is wise, so he’ll probably not like it. His sons, on the other hand, can be quite the homers. So they’ll probably justify it somehow and go completely against what they originally said. :ols: 

It’s going to be real tough to watch if he does well moving forward, though. I’ll view him as someone like Brandon Lloyd or David Amerson. Someone who took advantage of others initially (maybe due to a legit mental health issue or maybe just because he’s an ahole) and only learned how much of an opportunity it is to play in the NFL after going through the necessary training grounds of struggle that woke him up. Unfortunately, we were said training grounds. :( 

3 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

The list of Craven's behavior issues while with the Skins is long. Apparently, some easily forget how teammates and coaches viewed his actions at the end of the 2016 season. Even Scot tried intervening and talking to him (which he later claimed Allen was furious over). Compton's videotaped talk with Cravens seemed to show that his attitude and commitment to his teammates and coaches had not improved one iota. That was underscored by his decision to "retire" at the last second, screwing the team over. Even the way he told his teammates was said to have pissed a lot of them off. Throw in a bunch of self-pitying tweets taking jabs at fans and even former teammates who didn't stick by him, and all a lot of people see is a self-absorbed, ungrateful and immature guy who their favorite team used a valuable 2nd round pick on and gave a chance to play and succeed in the NFL.

What about any of that are we supposed to overlook or ignore as irrelevant?

I said earlier in this thread (or in another, can't keep up lol), that the only thing it looked like the Redskins would get for Cravens after he retired was an empty space filled with air....Nothing about him came across as a great talent that just needed a little time away to refocus. That's something he could have/should have understood about himself long before the start of the season. It's something he could have had multiple convos with Gruden/Allen/Williams, and given them the time and opportunity to understand his mindset and groom his replacement. He could have talked to his teammates in person and filled them in on his decisions. That's what maturity would lead people to do. That's what having your teammate's backs would have lead people to do. That's as much of a win-win that could have been expected under those circumstances. Cravens said "**** that" to all of it.

Don't expect fans to say "Aww, that's ok, buddy."

Apparently nobody wanted Cravens except the Broncos, at least not enough to try and trade for him. Cravens flushed his value down the toilet like a turd. McCloughan threw away the Skins' 2nd round pick by drafting Cravens to begin with...maybe he sat down with Cravens, looked him in the eyes, and saw a "football player" and overlooked the red flags. I dunno. Bruce ****ed up by hiring Scot to begin with. That's on him. Only good thing to come from all this is that we improved our draft position in the 4th and 5th rounds and gained an extra 5th round pick. The two 5th rounders may get packaged to jump up into the 4th round for someone they're high on that dropped unexpectedly. That can happen now.

The thing, though, is that Cravens being picked in the 2nd round is irrelevant to the trade. The Skins turned empty space full of air into improved draft slots and an extra draft pick (maybe two). If the Skins just ended up cutting Cravens and he still ended up on the Broncos, there would be no shortage of posts criticizing the front office for not trading him to the Broncos for at least a 6th or 7th rounder. If Cravens was kept on the roster and ended up being deactivated for the majority of the season due to behind the scenes attitude issues, there would be no shortage of posts criticizing the front office for not trading him to the Broncos for at least a 6th or 7th rounder. Both of those were definitely possible outcomes. There's no guarantee Cravens will work out for the Broncos, either. So many damn movinig parts in all of this that it becomes ridiculous to claim right now that the trade was bad due to which round Cravens was drafted in. Nobody in football gives a **** about that anymore. That's something Jerruh Jones would have said to crow about them signing Brandon Weeden...in fact, he did just that, claiming that he signed a 1st round QB for pennies and that Weeden "got drafted in the first round for a reason."

Yeah, and he also got cut for a reason. That last part is what's most important.

7 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I hate that a 2nd rounder we drafted busted.

However, I struggle to really blame anyone for it, he seems like someone you just assume is slightly immature at worst but then blindsides you with just gross misbehavior and the kind of attitude that can bring everyone around him down. 

Tweener stud, lol. More like Tweeter stud. :/ 

Very enjoyable read. That line made me spit out my coffee, wished I had thought of it. Hell if you followed me on twitter and posted it,  I would have reposted it, ,,, :bye:

I love that emoji, and I don't really know why, lol. 

10 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

This organization is a joke. I hope Sua kills it, honestly. Anything to get a real GM back. Who am I kidding, that's never gonna happen. Anything to make this franchise look like the clown show that it is, then.

Lose a franchise QB for nothing, trade the best slot CB in the league AND a draft pick for a worse, older QB, then trade a former 2nd round pick for a 5th and a swap. I have no clue how anyone can stay positive about any of this. I am officially done, and I feel bad for those of you who aren't.

It's only going to get worse.

Emoji synopsis of a Redskins fan... :redskins-3908::kickcan::chair::hitfan:...... then :hitfan:it's either.... :cheers: or :bye:      

22 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Hell if you followed me on twitter and posted it,  I would have reposted it, ,,, :bye:

Thanks. I do follow you on twitter, you know that. ;) 

As for tweeting it there... maybe I will. I don’t tweet much myself. We’ll see, lol. 

2 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Thanks. I do follow you on twitter, you know that. ;) 

As for tweeting it there... maybe I will. I don’t tweet much myself. We’ll see, lol. 

https://twitter.com/thesubmitted1ES

Uhm, not sure what happened? but WE don't follow each other. :kickcan:?? 

I just followed you...... see what's happening here/ hell IDK.... 

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

You’re right, I’m following your @johnny_local account. I thought it was the same. Gave your other one a follow. Somehow I still always see your tweets anyway, weird. :ols: 

That is my phone, I went through yesterday to drop some inactives and saw that,,,, I don't know how that happened or happens but it is suspiciously like FB actions and notification changes.....damn SM scary stuff. 

Archived