Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

Every QB should be using the tips of their fingers - you don't want your palm on the ball at all when you hold it. There are QBs who develop their own way and palm it - Aikman was one. But thats not how you would coach a young QB.

But hand size does matter. It's more about the span of thumb to end of index finger than finger length though - you get a better grip the wider that span is.

----

I live in Phoenix and have seen a lot of Ballage at ASU. He's a good size/speed guy but he runs high, has poor vision and (as you say) is not shifty. He's a straight line runner. He's also poor in blitz pick up (and shows no interest in doing that job). He is another version of Matt Jones IMO.

Yeah I want I wanted to say is that if you have bigger hand you don't only use the tip but also can use a part of the middle of your finger. But I can not write it down easy in good English what I really want to say. But indeed you don't want the palm aan the ball. (I think we kinda have the same view, but my English is way more crappy)

----

Think Matt Jones is a good example, because I could see Ballage do really well in some screen game. We have seen Matt Jones do well with that. I even heard some people say he has David Johnson type of potential. I only see that they have a simular body build and run pretty straight up with long strides in the open field. I don't think Ballage is anywhere close to the RB Johnson is and also not close to his recieving potential. He will not make people miss in the hole. 

49 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Is this post from 2014? 2015? 2016? 2017? Because I see it every year again and every year we do nothing!

Because we play a 1 gap not a 2 gap system.

Until/unless we change to a 2 gap you are not going to see us go out and spend dollars or draft picks on a big NT (unless said NT can 1 gap and play 3 downs).

^ This is why, if we keep Cousins (if we don’t, we can possibly use FA instead), I’d like to see them go NT in rd 1.  They may not be the BPA, but I believe a good NT would help this team more than probably any other position.  Stop the run, and I think we have enough pass rushing talent and talent in the Secondary to take a big step forward on D.  

A stud FS or ILB would be nice, but I don’t see them having the same impact in terms of stopping the run.  

A stud guard would be tempting too, but I don’t think they can have the same impact on offense - we’d still have issues with receiving weapons, runningback and TE blocking.  Don’t mean to say we shouldn’t try to improve those areas too, of course.  In fact, I’d devote most of the rest of the draft to doing just that - BPA at RB, LG, TE, WR... and ILB, FS, OLB and Corner, lol.  

@MartinCDon’t we often have 1 (or maybe even 2?) guys 2 gap while the rest shoot 1 gap?  I could be wrong, but that was the impression I had. 

Finally, I mentioned the lovefest taking place over Marcus Davenport of UTSA. If there is a similar feeling towards a player on offense, it would be Oklahoma State receiver James Washington.

Washington has looked terrific in practice and is one of the fastest receivers at Senior Bowl practices, and his arm length of 33 7/8 inches impresses scouts. He’s drawing comparisons to former Pro Bowl receiver Chris Chambers, and it’s unlikely Washington gets out of the first round.

dpbrugler: - I was hoping a few of these WRs would separate themselves during practice and #OKST WR James Washington has done that. We know the strong ball skills and vertical skills, but his progress w/ his releases and routes have been encouraging.

10 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Settle is a nimble dude, I recall a couple clips recently if him on a scoop and (almost) score and a punt return.

http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-tech-football/2016/07/12267/massive-defensive-tackle-tim-settle-shows-his-wheels 

And here he is gunning down a punt returner in practice 

http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-tech-football/2016/07/12267/massive-defensive-tackle-tim-settle-shows-his-wheels

That is some FREAKY speed for a big man!

Both interesting and funny exchange between JP Finlay and Mike White.  It's a podcast after the article at this link called Four 1:1 interviews with rookie QB's Allen, Rudolph, Falk and White.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/move-over-kirk-cousins-and-joe-flacco-josh-allen-could-be-new-most-polarizing-qb-football

Interesting to hear Mike White talk about his interview with Redskins which he says was one of his favorites because they talked all football and not about his family.  It sounded like only scouts were there with a drop in by Doug Williams.  Funny to here him talk about the size of Doug Williams hands, that they are massive and would swallow you up!

I have finished film on WR's and TE's. As always my rankings are based purely on game tape. No off field issues are taken into account in my rankings. This draft has A LOT of talent at WR. More limited at TE IMO. All I have left to do is RB's on the offensive side of the ball. I should have them wrapped up by next weekend as number one and two are clear cut to me.  Here are my top ten WR's and top 5 TE's in this draft:

Wide Receiver:

1) Courtland Sutton, SMU: Sutton is a huge receiver 6'4 220. Shows great strength and quickness. Has excellent hands and will bail his QB out consistently. I am interested to see what he runs in the 40 at the combine. Doesnt seem to have blazing top end speed. Rouond 1

2) Calvin Ridley, Alabama: Good size, speed and hands. Limited production due to offensive system in college. Does have a tendency to drop a ball every now and then. But shows excellent route running ability. Round 1

3) Anthony Miller, Memphis: GREAT HANDS. Good route running ability and very dangerous after the catch. Limited top end speed on game tape. But a very reliable weapon. Round 1/2

4) Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame: Good size, speed and hands. Shows an occasional lack of concentration. Dangerous in the open field. Round 2/3

5) Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State: Great size, hands and strength. Lacks ideal top end speed. limited explosiveness. Round 2/3

6) Jaleel Scott, New Mexico State: HUGE. 6'6 215 and is a TD catching player. Possession receiver.  Shows good hands and decent speed. Round 2/3

7) Michael Gallop, Colorado State: Explosive playmaker. Great speed, hands and twitch. May be the steal of this draft. Round 2/3

8) DJ Moore, Maryland: Moore may be under the radar because he was on a bad team. But he showed well against elite competition and has all of the tools to be a great player in the NFL. Round 2/3

9) Christian Kirk, Texas A&M: Thick powerful receiver. Decent speed, hands and route running. Round 3/4

10) KeKe Coute, Texas Tech: BLAZING game speed. Gets excellent separation through seed alone. Takes the top off of a defense. Decent hands. Needs work on route running. Round 3.4

Tight Ends:

1) Mark Andrews, Oklahoma: It was smart of Andrews to declare this year as this is a limited TE draft IMO. He is clearly the best of the group. HUGE with great hands and good route running ability. A serious threat down the seam of any defense. He is also an excellent blocker in both the run and pass games. Round 2

2) Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin: Good overall game. Good hands, routes and very good blocker. Round 2/3

3) Dallas Goedert, S. Dakota State: Maybe the best receiving TE in this class. Excellent hands and speed. Limited blocking ability. Round 2/3

4) Mike Gesicki,  We ARE Penn State: Good all around player. Excellent blocker. Limited speed. Round 3/4

5) Dalton Schultz, Stanford: Good size. Lacks ideal speed and route running ability. EXCELLENT blocker at the point of attack. Round 3/4.

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Tight Ends:

1) Mark Andrews, Oklahoma: It was smart of Andrews to declare this year as this is a limited TE draft IMO. He is clearly the best of the group. HUGE with great hands and good route running ability. A serious threat down the seam of any defense. He is also an excellent blocker in both the run and pass games. Round 2

If we could nab him in the second man would I be happy. This guy looks every bit a stud and we do need depth here with Reed's injuries and Davis only having a year left. He would be a perfect fit for us.

I didn’t see the same blocking ability from Andrews, thought Goedert showed more there.  Of course I only saw the handful of games on draftbreakdown.  

Totally agree about Gallup.  

Still think DL in the 1st, back in the 2nd, and then TE/War in the 3rd/4th.  Don’t want to pigeonhole ourselves or really reach, but I think there may be a very good player at each of those positions in the range of our picks.  

With all of that said, I could see corner (appears to be a deep class), ILB (maybe depending on Brown) and OLB... and of course QB.  

So a couple of pages back someone said something about following the Eagles' plan. I want to have a team like them and the Jags. I'd be interested to see us do this:

Vea in the first.

Rashaan Evans/Taven Bryan  in the second.

Best rb in the third.

Bpa the rest of the way with an emphasis on d.

Give them a year to develop and see where we are. If we need another draft then keep building the team. Once the d gets to be a bully then I take my shot and try to get my qb. From there the window opens. I would extend guys like Scherff, Fuller, Moreau, Doctson, Allen, draft picks that might be in positions for extensions, etc. And go for it like the iggles.

But since we know who is running the show that will never happen. I guess it's back to Madden...

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

5) Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State: Great size, hands and strength. Lacks ideal top end speed. limited explosiveness. Round 2/3

Would be my choice. 

Apparently we are looking for an over the top deep threat, so Ateman doesn't fit that roll I don't think. However, I like the look of him. Not in the second round, but if he was around still in the third....

Guice plays with such ferocity and violence.  He runs like he's a power back.  if he times fast in the combine like Miller is projecting, I think he's a climber in the draft.    We talk about adding a guy who can bring some attitude to the offense - Guice to me comes off like he has some Garcon in him.

Source told me that LSU RB Derrius Guice is timing mid-4.4s at 221 lbs during combine training.

74 replies321 retweets1,258 likes

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I like the idea of a Vea/Allen front dominating the trenches for the next decade. That's how you build a defense.

Reporting seems to say we aren't all that interested in Vea IIRC. And he may not really be an ideal fit for our scheme. He's more of a pure 2 gap block eater and run stuffer. We run more of a 3-4 Under 1 gap scheme. I doubt we take him if he's still on the board when our pick rolls around. Sounds like they're more interested in guys like Payne. 

Interesting, who Mayfield met with. While I agree tracking meetings can be misleading -- Finlay saying he heard the FO aren't Mayfield people (that was pre Senior Bowl) and the Redskins weren't among the teams that he had extensive meetings with him might be a sign.  Or they are purposely going under the radar on him, unlike Rudolph, etc? :) 

If buzz means anything Mayfield leapfrogged Josh Allen in the eyes of some draft geeks after the Senior Bowl.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/26/baker-mayfield-draft-senior-bowl-oklahoma

Mayfield is here to meet with teams that might actually draft him, and he’s had extensive meetings with four of them; the Saints, Bills, Jets and Dolphins. And they put him through the wringer, teaching him some of their offensive concepts and asking him to recall them an hour later.

5 hours ago, squatch66 said:

So a couple of pages back someone said something about following the Eagles' plan. I want to have a team like them and the Jags. I'd be interested to see us do this:

Vea in the first.

Rashaan Evans/Taven Bryan  in the second.

Best rb in the third.

Bpa the rest of the way with an emphasis on d.

Give them a year to develop and see where we are. If we need another draft then keep building the team. Once the d gets to be a bully then I take my shot and try to get my qb. From there the window opens. I would extend guys like Scherff, Fuller, Moreau, Doctson, Allen, draft picks that might be in positions for extensions, etc. And go for it like the iggles.

But since we know who is running the show that will never happen. I guess it's back to Madden...

My concern there is the time it takes for a qb to develop.  You could get extremely lucky and find a guy that is good enough year 1 or 2, but we’ll have to get really lucky in the first place just to find a good qb period.  Then you have to figure out what you do with/how you replace guys like Kerrigan, Williams, Norman, and so on and so on.  

Agree with the general premise though - use the draft and extensions to try to build up the team.  I think this year was very misleading as the D was held back by injuries and the offense is missing 1-3 quality starters, but overall I’m seeing some good progress in the way things are being done.  

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guice plays with such ferocity and violence.  He runs like he's a power back.  if he times fast in the combine like Miller is projecting, I think he's a climber in the draft.    We talk about adding a guy who can bring some attitude to the offense - Guice to me comes off like he has some Garcon in him.

Source told me that LSU RB Derrius Guice is timing mid-4.4s at 221 lbs during combine training.

74 replies321 retweets1,258 likes

He’s easily my 2nd favorite back.  I’m assuming we don’t get him though because he’ll be projected later than our first pick, but I’m betting he’s gone by our 2nd rounder.  

4 hours ago, RabidFan said:

What about James Washington at WR?  He's getting some pub for blazing speed at the Senior Bowl practices.  I've seen him linked to us as well in some articles.

He’s fun to watch.  Has a very high ceiling IMO.  I’m thinking 1) we don’t want to go Wr in the 1st and 2) he’ll be gone my our 2nd.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Reporting seems to say we aren't all that interested in Vea IIRC. And he may not really be an ideal fit for our scheme. He's more of a pure 2 gap block eater and run stuffer. We run more of a 3-4 Under 1 gap scheme. I doubt we take him if he's still on the board when our pick rolls around. Sounds like they're more interested in guys like Payne. 

I’m taking that report with a grain of salt, but really, doesn’t matter to me.  I’m just happy we’re looking at DL again in the 1st.  

23 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Vea/Allen/Loannidis sounds very good to me.

HTTR 

Added talent to the DL excites me. :)

Archived