Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

7 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Okay guys I give you 2 days to convince me on Josh Allen. What I see. A Philip Rivers player with bad feeling for moving in the pocket and very questionable accuracy. I say 4th to 5th round prospect. 

What I hear. 1st round maybe top 10. I don't get it. 

4th round might be an exaggeration but I agree he is not a 1st round prospect, at least IMO. But hes going to get drafted high based on physical ability. I just hope its not by us - I see more bust than boom.

Apparently Rudolph spent time with the Gibbs family growing up and roots for the Redskins.

Nevermind the evaluations, Rudolph to the Redskins.

Edit: Should have read the last page before I posted.

Either way, I can see the fans eating up a guy who "wants to be here".  Personally, I question why someone wants to be here.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

That top 50 prospect list from DJ is interesting. He has got some very raw prospects very high in his list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

Good year to draft a corner. Like a lot of them and looks like some nice depth for round 2. 

I don't see Tremaine Edmunds as the 3rd best prospect in the draft.  Or close to that.  When I watched him I didn't think he was a 1st rounder, so I guess, if he was drafted really high...awesome.  Means someone better falls.

50 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doug Williams: "I've always said the draft is kind of like a crapshoot sometimes."

Now who says this man doesn't inspire confidence?:ols:

He is not saying anything there even a casual NFL fan does not already know. You try to load the dice in your favor with good scouting and evaluation - but it is still a crap shoot.

8 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Okay guys I give you 2 days to convince me on Josh Allen. What I see. A Philip Rivers player with bad feeling for moving in the pocket and very questionable accuracy. I say 4th to 5th round prospect. 

What I hear. 1st round maybe top 10. I don't get it. 

There is a lot to like about Allen. Great size, big arm, good anticipation and athleticism. He does struggle with accuracy on occasion. But I had a 2/3 grade on him from my film grades. I wouldnt be mad if they traded down and took him later in the first. Maybe they plan on franchising Cousins for another year and Letting Allen sit for a season? I think he is going to become a good NFL starter IMO.

Wouldn't take into account any meetings we have with players, at any event. They meet pretty much everyone, and most players who warrant enough time to be noticed by the media are being asked questions to fill in holes in our reports. Especially when you take into account that we've drafted players we felt we had all the info on in recent years--guys we never officially met with at the combine or anywhere else. Some guys require more research than others.

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wouldn't take into account any meetings we have with players, at any event. They meet pretty much everyone, and most players who warrant enough time to be noticed by the media are being asked questions to fill in holes in our reports. Especially when you take into account that we've drafted players we felt we had all the info on in recent years--guys we never officially met with at the combine or anywhere else. Some guys require more research than others.

Agree, they will end up meeting with many who aren't ultimately drafted.  What I find interesting is if there is a slant towards certain positions as for meetings i given years -- and typically there is. 

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Just wanted to put it here that Craig Hoffman said that Kyle Smith is running the interviews at the draft. I've been hypothesizing that he'd be running the draft board and that's what it looks like. 

I heard the same.  Jay also seemed to suggest that its the case for the Senior Bowl and ultimately in the combine, etc he and others will kick in too on the interviews.

I don't know much about Kyle but he fits the profile of what I like in an evaluator -- namely scouting experience.  I don't have a heck of a lot of faith in Bruce and Doug as you know.  But hopefully, its heavy Kyle and Jay as to the draft who I trust a lot more.

Just now, bowhunter said:

You can be 6 feet even, or you can be 6ft and 3/8 of an inch. But you can't be 6ft even and 3/8 of an inch. Honest, it defies all laws of physics and reckoning

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Maybe he was afraid if said "6 foot and 3/8" someone would interpret it like "6 feet and 3/8 of another foot? That's like  6 4 1/2!!! Wow, turns out Mayfield is really tall!!"

So he's basically the same height as Brees. However, there is a big difference between successful shorter QBs like Brees/Wilson and Mayfield. Both Brees and Wilson had VERY big hands for their size. Both were 10.25 inches. Mayfield's are quite a bit smaller. I think that makes a pretty big difference. 

Hand measurements are weird. I wouldn't take them as gospel, although I wish he had measured bigger. But there have been a few players in recent years to miraculously gain over half an inch come combine time. I think Goff may have even made mention of some kind of hand massage and everyone made fun of it. To be safe I would obviously proceed with the assumption that his hands were measured accurately, but I wouldn't weight it heavily or worry about it much. Russel Wilson's hands are freakishly large even when you don't take his height into account. 

Romo was pretty turnover prone and had tiny hands--less than 9 inches I believe. So there could be some merit there. But I'd say if you have a threshold, Mayfield cleared it. 

Edit: Just checked, and pretty much every draftnik is calling 9.5 in hands a win for Mayfield, it passes the threshold. So it's a non-issue, other than to say that he doesn't get bonus points for huge hands. 

Much more important were some of the incredible touch throws he made today to WRs he's never played with before. 

Yeah, 9.5 is certainly not awful or anything. But it just seems like the more successful QBs who also happen to be on the shorter side also happen to have very big hands for their height. Brett Favre I think came in at 6'1 or so but had freakishly large hands...like 10.5 inches.

About the hand size. I'm in the Tony Romo club of small hand sizes. Where I always have struggled with is throwing football's in less optimal conditions. You don't have a firm grip because it's hard to get a good hold of the laces. Especially when it's is wet. Small hand QB's mostly use two or sometimes even one finger on the laces. Big hand QB's are able to put a third finger (pinky) on the laces. 

Second difference is that big hand QB's are able to use more of the middle part of there finger to get the grip. Their fingers wrap more around the ball and are firm on the laces. Small hand QB's use more the tip of the fingers, it's more the end of the finger that holds onto the laces. 

Yes I did my research. If anybody wants pictures with it. I have does too but now on my phone, so hard to post. 

----'

Took a quick look at Baker Mayfield. He uses the last two fingers (index and pinky) on the laces and really holds the front end of the football. Most QB's have there hand placed more to the middle part. So it looks like he uses more of the smaller part of the ball (front end) to be able to wrap his fingers around the ball and get grip. Don't know if any current NFL QB uses that same technique. Need to check it. 

Four 1-on-1 interviews with rookie QBs Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk and Mike White https://art19.com/shows/redskin-talk/episodes/956c9231-2431-484e-a015-55465bf90f58

just a side note about that podcsdt i just posted. they actually name a scout who's in the room. I've heard that Smith is running it, and Williams is there, no Gruden in the room, there's a 4th guy (Allen or the draft pick, are my guesses). 

Rumours from the internet:

The Redskins are another team that could be aggressive to move up for a quarterback, assuming they don't re-sign Kirk Cousins or acquire another veteran starter. If Washington misses out on the quarterbacks or doesn't need to take one, the Redskins have a variety of options to consider in the first round. The Redskins could use more defensive line help next to impressive rookie Jonathan Allen. Alabama nose tackle Da'Ron Payne is a favorite of sources with Washington, and they love the idea of reuniting Payne and Allen. The team is not as high on Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea. 

Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick is another favorite of Redskins' sources, but they don't believe Fitzpatrick will get to their pick (though they thought the same thing about Jonathan Allen last year). The Redskins have high hopes for second-year safety Montae Nicholson and think he could turn into an excellent pro. D.J. Swearinger also played well for Washington, so safety isn't a critical need for Washington. 

Offensively, the Redskins would like to add more talent at wide receiver and running back this offseason. They also are planning on adding a guard in free agency or the draft. 

The quarterback position is the top priority, but if the Redskins aren't taking a signal-caller, it sounds like the defensive front seven is the next priority. 

Hohoho, sparky package Kalen Ballage. I don't think he is the most pure RB talent but his size and speed are so interesting. If you get him in space he is explosive but not really the type of player that is shifty between tackles. You need to have a good O-coordinator to get most out of this guys pure athletic talents.  

Archived