Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Can you give specifics on how Lauletta is "not that good"?

FCS is just so hard to tell because of the talent around the players. But I saw him in person 2x and he was good but nothing that said “this guy should play on sunday” like Flacco and Wentz. I guess I shouldn’t say he’s “not good” but I wouldn’t build your franchise around him. He just didn’t wow me. 

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

FCS is just so hard to tell because of the talent around the players. But I saw him in person 2x and he was good but nothing that said “this guy should play on sunday” like Flacco and Wentz. I guess I shouldn’t say he’s “not good” but I wouldn’t build your franchise around him. He just didn’t wow me. 

Fair point about FCS. They don't tend to face great competition which is why I doubt either White or Lauletta would be ready to start right away. That being said, while they aren't playing against top competition they also aren't playing with top players either. Either way, that's one of the reasons I was really looking forward to how those guys played in the Senior Bowl. It's a chance for smaller school guys to show how they play when going against much better talent. And both of them looked really good IMO. Both extremely composed, throwing darts into tight windows, especially Lauletta. 

AND I admittedly missed the senior bowl so shame on me. My comment was mainly to it being a crapshoot since the level of talent around the QB can be suspect. JMU had far and away the #1 pass defense in fcs this year. I believe Lauletta threw for 300 yards 1 TD and 1 INT. Not bad but not “damn” performance. Guess we’ll see 

43 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

AND I admittedly missed the senior bowl so shame on me. My comment was mainly to it being a crapshoot since the level of talent around the QB can be suspect. JMU had far and away the #1 pass defense in fcs this year. I believe Lauletta threw for 300 yards 1 TD and 1 INT. Not bad but not “damn” performance. Guess we’ll see 

He's also playing behind and FCS line, with an FCS coordinator, and an FCS offense. 

Anymore, it's hard to knock some of these guys coming out of smaller schools, because they're also not working with the best talent along side them.  He looked good in the senior bowl, so good that it wouldnt surprise me if he's now a mid round pick.  Did some diggin on the kid and one report pointed out how they thought Belichick would be salivating over him.  Big kid, has the arm.  Grew up playing lax so toughness shouldn't be an issue.  Military family and a sports pedigree... i want to say his Dad was a big time lax player at some point.  

His stat line in the senior bowl was 8 for 12, 198 yards, 3 Td and got the MVP.  Not a bad showing vs some of the best DBs in the game... 

One area where IMO Lauletta kinda got the shaft is that he had 4 different coordinators over his 4 year college career, some of them with extremely different offenses than the others. In 2016 they had much more of a pro style attack but in 2017 the new OC was much more of a spread option guy so he had to completely change his playing to suit very different offenses. Nevertheless he seems to have been able to adjust and learn each system fast enough to improve year after year. That being said, just from what I've seen as far as tape from 2016 and from 2017 he looked much better in the pro style system and he seemed more comfortable in it as well, which is a good thing.

One issue is that he had an ACL injury at the end of 2016 IIRC, which is always a bit of a worry. But he hasn't seemed to be showing any ill effects.

33 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

His stat line in the senior bowl was 8 for 12, 198 yards, 3 Td and got the MVP.  Not a bad showing vs some of the best DBs in the game... 

Limited to playing cover 1,2 and 3 with no blitzing allowed.

But he did look to have an NFL arm and looked accurate. At worst he will have teams looking more carefully at him and his workouts.

As chapter president of the Lauletta / White booster club, I'm here to tell you guys that the fruit punch has been spiked.

I appreciate you all coming bye to the party, but decorum rules. No drinking with your hands straight from the bowl.

Also note that the rideshare is, as of now, on hiatus. 

And just in case anyone was unaware, not that people pay me much attention any way, Mike McCartney is Lauletta's agent. 

Like the man said, you don't have to go home, but ... 

source.gif

5 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

And just in case anyone was unaware, not that people pay me much attention any way, Mike McCartney is Lauletta's agent. 

That's hilarious.  I was just thinking we've heard they met with White but I don't recall hearing they met with Lauletta (maybe I missed it).  Multiple beat reporters have said the FO (presume Bruce) doesn't like McCartney and the feeling is probably mutual. Wonder if that has any influence on something like this when the emotions might be running a bit raw.

Craig Hoffman, 106.7, did an interview with Lauletta.  He said he sounds like Sean McVay, a football savant, the way he talked the game.  More so than the other interviews he's had.  He was blown away by him. 

I just looked it up, Mike White, isn't represented by McCartney.  Safer pick? 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's hilarious.  I was just thinking we've heard they met with White but I don't recall hearing they met with Lauletta (maybe I missed it).  Multiple beat reporters have said the FO (presume Bruce) doesn't like McCartney and the feeling is probably mutual. Wonder if that has any influence on something like this when the emotions might be running a bit raw.

Craig Hoffman, 106.7, did an interview with Lauletta.  He said he sounds like Sean McVay, a football savant, the way he talked the game.  More so than the other interviews he's had.  He was blown away by him. 

Regardless of how they feel about eachother and the position they would take, it doesn't bode well for contract talks.  Rookie scale is in place but you wonder how it would effect our ability to sign an extension after the rookie deal runs out.  Gotta believe McCartney is going to play hardball with us to a degree from here going forward. 

18 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Regardless of how they feel about eachother and the position they would take, it doesn't bode well for contract talks.  Rookie scale is in place but you wonder how it would effect our ability to sign an extension after the rookie deal runs out.  Gotta believe McCartney is going to play hardball with us to a degree from here going forward. 

Maybe.  I was being a little sarcastic for humors sake but if I wanted to run with the whole crazy plot -- McCartney would be telling Lauletta, you'll have some good years, they will low ball you for the next contract -- so let me tell you about the franchise tag and exit strategy, then. :)

It likely has no influence at all. It's bad business for an agent to have a grudge with a team.  But the irony and timing of it is funny to me.   It just struck me the only reference I recall to Lauletta Redskins related is Bruce in his Sirrius interview reference there is even a Spider at the Senior Bowl.   

We heard they did meet with Rudolph (whom Finlay claims they like a lot) and White.   I just double checked didn't see a mention of Lauletta.  Granted, maybe i missed it and or they can like him without meeting him.  It likely all means nothing but like I said its funny to me.  Thinking of a baseball analogy to this, I've read there are some teams that balk at Boras' clients (Nationals being the opposite) based on their history with him.  So while unlikely its a factor -- it might be a variable in the soup everything being equal. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  I was being a little sarcastic for humors sake but if I wanted to run with the whole crazy plot -- McCartney would be telling Lauletta, you'll have some good years, they will low ball you for the next contract -- so let me tell you about the franchise tag and exit strategy, then. :)

It likely has no influence at all. It's bad business for an agent to have a grudge with a team.  But the irony and timing of it is funny to me.   It just struck me the only reference I recall to Lauletta Redskins related is Bruce in his Sirrius interview reference there is even a Spider at the Senior Bowl.   

We heard they did meet with Rudolph (whom Finlay claims they like a lot) and White.   I just double checked didn't see a mention of Lauletta.  Granted, they can like him without meeting him.  It likely all means nothing but like I said its funny to me.  Thinking of a baseball analogy to this, I've read there are some teams that balk at Boras' clients (Nationals being the opposite) based on their history with him.

I know, it's all tin foil hat wearing stuff, but if I'm McCartney, I want my client to be in the position he's most likely to succeed, and get compensated doing it.  I've never heard McCartneys name until the Kirk situation got steam so I don't know what his history is with us on other players.  I do recall that him and Scot are boys, so who's to say he's not now soured by both the Kirk dealings, as well as the way his boy was handled? 

Again, I'm way ahead of myself here as we haven't even had the draft yet.. but do you think teams don't consider who a players agent is when they're drafting them?   Knowing one agent is going to negotiate a certain way, could that effect whether a team drafts a guy or not? 

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Again, I'm way ahead of myself here as we haven't even had the draft yet.. but do you think teams don't consider who a players agent is when they're drafting them?   Knowing one agent is going to negotiate a certain way, could that effect whether a team drafts a guy or not? 

I am sure they do.  The wild card here is the typical agent doesn't want to burn bridges with a team.  But yeah the emotions right now are probably at a raw point between the agent and the team.  So it might be a factor, who knows.

Before the McCartney revelation, I was thinking its surprising that the Redskins didn't met with Lauretta especially with Bruce's ties to his school and him being there.  Unless again i missed it.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am sure they do.  The wild card here is the typical agent doesn't want to burn bridges with a team.  But yeah the emotions right now are probably at a raw point between the agent and the team.  So it might be a factor, who knows.

Before the McCartney revelation, I was thinking its surprising that the Redskins didn't met with Lauretta especially with Bruce's ties to his school and him being there.  Unless again i missed it.  

Yeah they could also be playing it tight to the vest... I heard a comment about how anything between now and the draft is almost certainly a lie, and it got me thinkin lol.    They'll like also have a chance to sit down with him at the Combine?  I've been looking but can't find a list of people we've reportedly interviewed? 

37 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah they could also be playing it tight to the vest... I heard a comment about how anything between now and the draft is almost certainly a lie, and it got me thinkin lol.    They'll like also have a chance to sit down with him at the Combine?  I've been looking but can't find a list of people we've reportedly interviewed? 

Walterfootball has some.  I just googled it.  Found some with Hogs Haven.   I also been listening to Hoffman and Finlay who were there, i don't recall a mention of a Lauletta meeting.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Walterfootball has some.  I just googled it.  Found some with Hogs Haven.   I also been listening to Hoffman and Finlay who were there, i don't recall a mention of a Lauletta meeting.

Yeah i've seen random reports at different places but no comprehensive list.  

https://twitter.com/BurgundyBurner/status/957100811909304320

A guy I talk who does quite a bit of his own research on us compiled this, not sure if it's the totality or not. 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce may feel comfortable not interviewing him because 1) he has a direct line of honest communication to people at the school, 2) doesn't want to tip his hand and 3) has already been following him closely.  Who knows though.  

Even if we do the unlikely and sign Kirk, I wouldn't mind drafting this kid.  Having a solid developmental qb that can eventually replace Colt's salary (and has a higher ceiling) would be nice/smart and forward thinking.  

It's definitely not in an agent's interest to burn bridges or hold grudges against a team. But that's only one side of it. What if Bruce is the one holding a grudge and who might discount a player in the draft due to who his agent is? Not sure if even Bruce is that stupidly petty, but you never know...

Can't see the agent being a big deal - ultimately we don't have to deal with the agent until four years down the line, players regularly switch agents in contract years blahblahblah, and although he may not enjoy dealing with us - he has made himself and Kirk very rich on our dime in the last few years..... It's a bit of a non-factor in my opinion.

I did watch the tape I could find out there on Lualetta. There just wasnt a whole lot out there. The one reason he didnt make my top ten list is the competition he faced. We can go round and round about that argument. But the bottom line is he did not face the fastest, biggest or best players in College football. Now he did play well against the best over the weekend. But those defenses were also limited due to the rules of the game. He also doesnt have ideal size. He isnt small by any stretch. But he is only 6'2. Here is a good breakdown of his ability to read defenses. And pay attention to his technique in this video. Someone has worked with him well on his mechanics. He takes a clean drop and stays on the balls of his feet before delivering a strike with pressure directly in his face:

I think the competition level is a fair critique for pretty much any smaller conference QB. I doubt either he or White would be ready to start day 1, but Lauletta especially seems to have an extremely high football IQ and I think would be able to learn pretty fast. He had 4 OCs in his 4 years at Richmond and still managed to improve every year, despite some of the offenses he ran being wildly different from each other.

As far as his size, he came in at 6'2.5 217lbs which is an inch taller than Aaron Rodgers. I suppose it isn't "ideal" as in the prototype 6'4 230 or whatever, but it certainly is far from short and I doubt it would be any hindrance for him. He'll probably want to put on another 5-10 lbs of muscle just to help deal with the NFL blows a bit better but that's pretty easy to do.

Archived